ADVERTISEMENT

Mo to the portal

200.gif

Mo, Efe, Noah, Tyrell Roberts, Rapp, Koulibaly, in addition to Flowers graduating, so including Flowers(because a graduated player is still a lost player), that's 5, FIVE STARTERS LOST and 7, SEVEN total players lost and 6, SIX portal out transfers.

Next to probably go is Jackson, Bamba, Rodman, Jaki.

Only about 1,2,3 will probably stay.

And only 1,2,,3, 4, etc will be replaced by good enough players.

The rest will be replaced by semi garbage, semi scrub, Big Sky, Div 2, not good enough, etc, players.

It's a snowball, avalanche effect. Players have panicked or will panic.

Team will be destroyed.

Team will win 1 to 12 games next year.

Team will go from being likely 24 to 29 total wins 13-7, 2nd, 3rd, 4th in conference, 3 Pac 12 tourny wins, 2nd round+ NCAA Tourny

To 1 to 12 wins, last place in conference, no Pac 12 tourny wins, no post season.

And none of it will be Smith's fault, but as the head coach, the buck will stop at him, and almost everyone will wrongly blame him.

Mo, Efe, Noah, Tyrell Roberts, Rapp, Koulibaly, in addition to Flowers graduating, so including Flowers(because a graduated player is still a lost player), that's 5, FIVE STARTERS LOST and 7, SEVEN total players lost and 6, SIX portal out transfers.

Next to probably go is Jackson, Bamba, Rodman, Jaki.

Only about 1,2,3 will probably stay.

And only 1,2,,3, 4, etc will be replaced by good enough players.

The rest will be replaced by semi garbage, semi scrub, Big Sky, Div 2, not good enough, etc, players.

It's a snowball, avalanche effect. Players have panicked or will panic.

Team will be destroyed.

Team will win 1 to 12 games next year.

Team will go from being likely 24 to 29 total wins 13-7, 2nd, 3rd, 4th in conference, 3 Pac 12 tourny wins, 2nd round+ NCAA Tourny

To 1 to 12 wins, last place in conference, no Pac 12 tourny wins, no post season.

And none of it will be Smith's fault, but as the head coach, the buck will stop at him, and almost everyone will wrongly blame him.
Panic or financial envy?

We are a minor league affiliate.

Feel for the few players left who are watching the roster implode.

This is how it will always be at WSU for basketball. They recruit the needles in the haystack and that player flourishes, boom transfer for NIL money.

It was a good run boys but college basketball is dead @ WSU
This is how it will be for every school that isn't a blueblood or have a donor base willing to pay.

I think this initial nil and transfer frenzy will calm down, how long will it take? Who knows, probably when the fat cats tore of shelling out
I believe it will calm down as well but however long it takes it's probably too long for WSU.

Wazzu tried to rebuild a basketball program and NIL is probably going to ruin it. We don't have the funds to compete with these schools giving out 6 figure deals.

It's all about the money, Smith had mentioned last week that Efe was getting offers in the 200-250K area when I heard that I was concerned about MO, and I would assume Mo was getting similar offers. So we have now lost 3 key contributors to the portal 2 over NIL deals, one because he wants go go back home and play with his buddies. The rest left because of playing time. Needless to say Smith has his work cut out for him. He has done a great job of bringing in some quality players, but in this free agent market of Transfer portal and NIL, if you don't have the money to compete, players are going to leave.

Panic or financial envy?

A combination of things as pointed out in my snowball, avalanche scenario comment earlier in thread.

It's a combination of seeing their friends leave, concern about all the players leaving, concern that Smith might semi probably not replace those players with good enough players, and thus might semi probably have a bad year, and NIL money, and panic.

It's all those factors combined together.

It's a perfect storm, snowball, avalanche, that either can't be stopped, or extremely hard to be stopped.

And all those players either won't be replaced by good enough players, or extremely hard, almost impossible to replace with good enough players.

Because of that WSU will only win 1 to 12 games by the end of the post season, and will finish last in Pac 12.

Oh how the semi mighty have fallen, are falling.

Definitely like Ore St that fell from Elite 8 to only a few wins and last place finish, except worse for them as they didn't lose a semi lot of players to graduation, transfer portal.

It's all about the money, Smith had mentioned last week that Efe was getting offers in the 200-250K area when I heard that I was concerned about MO, and I would assume Mo was getting similar offers. So we have now lost 3 key contributors to the portal 2 over NIL deals, one because he wants go go back home and play with his buddies. The rest left because of playing time. Needless to say Smith has his work cut out for him. He has done a great job of bringing in some quality players, but in this free agent market of Transfer portal and NIL, if you don't have the money to compete, players are going to leave.
next will be holdouts and players getting fat and happy on their new found riches and not working hard enough to improve their game, getting into trouble and all the rest of the problems that come with a lot of money in the hands of a 19 yr old kid

next will be holdouts and players getting fat and happy on their new found riches and not working hard enough to improve their game, getting into trouble and all the rest of the problems that come with a lot of money in the hands of a 19 yr old kid

Yeah, get paid with NIL money, transfer after 1 year for more NIL money, sit out post season to protect future money.

Yeah, get paid with NIL money, transfer after 1 year for more NIL money, sit out post season to protect future money.
All you have to do us look at 70 years of baseball signing kids out of high school for bonus money

They buy a new car and the girlfriend and tax collector takes about the rest.

If they suck or get hurt they probably get an extra look-see year in the minors - one privilege maybe not available under NIL

Wazzu tried to rebuild a basketball program and NIL is probably going to ruin it. We don't have the funds to compete with these schools giving out 6 figure deals.
We have plenty of rich alumni. But just like with donations to the CAF, most of them simply aren't interested in giving their money to WSU athletics.

At 150-250K a player it will take a million or two million annually to have a tournament team. Since you only have 5 starters in basketball, plus 3-4 reserves, you can now buy your way into the tournament with NIL deals. Cheaper than trying to fund a winning football team. Once teams figure this out, then the players will start holding out for more. In the future there will be many college athletes collecting more money in college playing their sport than they ever will in the professional leagues.

Reactions: longtimecoug
At 150-250K a player it will take a million or two million annually to have a tournament team. Since you only have 5 starters in basketball, plus 3-4 reserves, you can now buy your way into the tournament with NIL deals. Cheaper than trying to fund a winning football team. Once teams figure this out, then the players will start holding out for more. In the future there will be many college athletes collecting more money in college playing their sport than they ever will in the professional leagues.
There's been talk Drew Timme would come back to GU because he's going to make bigger NIL mustache money versus his chances of making an NBA team.

Wild but inevitable. College sports are just adjusting to how the real world works. Sucks but it’s what I do to in my career to make more $$ too. Good luck Kyle Smith.

I feel that NIL will destroy college sports. Tho I think athletes should be compensated. But, not to the extreme of $100k. Why is there always money for sports and politics, but not homelessness. I degress. Then they can pay for their education. I also think that the empty gym during season may have played a role also with all the exits. I have seen larger crowds at a high school game. If you are not going to see what I am selling, I will go else where.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
This is not about money.. I will repeat what I said before.. LOUDER FOR THOSE IN THE BACK… This is about a coaching staff who simply is out of communication with their players.. You create an environment where players feel expendable and they turn to self interests… Coaches use to get away with this model, because players had no options other then sitting out.. Now the players have options… Don’t over think it’s pretty simple…
Happy wife Happy life!!

No the environment created by the coaches is the issue..

Either CPW finally passed his on-line Bennett Ball course or Noah is reconsidering after he saw their AD'S leopard skin pant suit.
Really did not need a reminder of the leopard skin pant suit. Those mutts class up any joint though.

On 1 hand awesome, miraculous that, if he chooses WSU over blue bloods, considering the mess WSU is now, assuming the dots do connect and that he really is coming to WSU.

On the other hand, assuming, if he comes to WSU, he will just leave go somewhere else after 1,2 years at WSU.

And even if he does come to WSU and stay, need 4,5,6,7,8 more good enough replacements, which probably won't happen.

But hey maybe John Andrzejek, and Smith, Shaw, Phelps prove me wrong.

Color me skeptical.

Not that I don’t believe you, but Can you post where this information is at? I would like to read it. I believe the one NIL rule that does exist states that you cannot make contact with a player before he enters the portal, correct? My understanding is that if the contact occurs prior to the entrance to the portal then that player has to sit out a year… Am I miss reading what you are saying? Coach had knowledge of these offers to Mo and Efi?

Not that I don’t believe you, but Can you post where this information is at? I would like to read it. I believe the one NIL rule that does exist states that you cannot make contact with a player before he enters the portal, correct? My understanding is that if the contact occurs prior to the entrance to the portal then that player has to sit out a year… Am I miss reading what you are saying? Coach had knowledge of these offers to Mo and Efi?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT