ADVERTISEMENT

Montana State

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
Not sure anyone else saw this given how late our game ended, but Montana State lost a shootout to perennial FCS power South Dakota State on Saturday 31-27. MSU outgained the Jackrabbits 491-426, had 27 first downs, and lost on a fake field goal TD run. Side note: The SDSU kicker who ran in the 31 yard TD is Chase Vinatieri, nephew of Adam Vinatieri (Patriots/Colts kicker).

I'm not one who puts a lot of stock into early season results, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that MSU played as well as they did.

I'll be watching Boise State with interest from here on out too. I think they'd be better off going with Cozart (sp?) than Rypien going forward too (based on what I saw).

Provided Cozart doesn't have to manage the clock. Was shocked when he ran out of bounds when he should have been killing clock.

Provided Cozart doesn't have to manage the clock. Was shocked when he ran out of bounds when he should have been killing clock.

That wasn't all that shocking to me. The kid hasn't played a lot, the stadium was rocking, and all of the momentum had swung to WSU favor. I go back to the 2002 Apple Cup. Gesser scrambling backwards and taking an unnecessary hit that knocked him out of the game. Kegel coming in like a deer in the headlights. Trufant getting beat deep in a situation where you can't get beat deep.

Painful memories, but that's what so great about college football. They're young kids playing in the big spotlight for the first time.

Thanks for sharing this re Montana State. Not sure how we keep scheduling FCS teams that turn out to be pretty damn good regardless of recent history (e.g., Portland State inexplicably being good a couple years ago), but I'm glad the team took care of business so easily even against a pretty good FCS squad.

Boise is a good team. They looked pretty big and physical. I think they're top 25 material. Their backup QB looked pretty good too. They are definitely a bowl team. San Diego St. looks good too.

Not sure anyone else saw this given how late our game ended, but Montana State lost a shootout to perennial FCS power South Dakota State on Saturday 31-27. MSU outgained the Jackrabbits 491-426, had 27 first downs, and lost on a fake field goal TD run. Side note: The SDSU kicker who ran in the 31 yard TD is Chase Vinatieri, nephew of Adam Vinatieri (Patriots/Colts kicker).

I'm not one who puts a lot of stock into early season results, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that MSU played as well as they did.

Would have been more impressive had it been against true perennial FCS power North Dakota State, which recently had a run of 5 national championships. SDSU is a solid program but not the juggernaut of the Bison.

Glad Cougar

Boise is a good team. They looked pretty big and physical. I think they're top 25 material. Their backup QB looked pretty good too. They are definitely a bowl team. San Diego St. looks good too.
Yeah after a few days, I thought the same thing. Their offense was piss poor against a good Troy team that returned everyone and will likely win the Sun Belt and their defense still shut Troy down. I think BSU has a pretty tough D.

As much as everyone loves to poke fun at Boise JC, they still have a solid program, are able to qualify kids other schools can't (my understanding at least), and despite what they lost, the longetivity and continuity of their program has allowed upper class men to be in the lineup every year (the physical stature of their players, particularly on defense, sure looked more like upper tier PAC 12 to my eyes. This may be a pretty impressive win come November, and my hope is that It may have been tough sledding on offense because they are one of the better defenses we will see. Time and future results will tell.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Would have been more impressive had it been against true perennial FCS power North Dakota State, which recently had a run of 5 national championships. SDSU is a solid program but not the juggernaut of the Bison.

Glad Cougar

SDSU is ranked #4 in the FCS this year, and my point was that I was pleasantly surprised that Montana State rolled up nearly 500 yards of offense against them on Saturday.

Again, there's nothing much to draw from early season games, but when I walked out of the stadium after the Montana State game, I didn't think they would win any games given how anemic their offense looked.

SDSU has been highly ranked for several years. True, they aren't as "big a deal" as North Dakota but they are solid, strong contenders.

I'll be darned. I didn't realize SDSU was ranked that high. Your point is well taken CP.

Glad Cougar

Yea, and again, it still doesn't really mean anything; but it was nice to see that Montana State was able to hang with them. Makes our win against them feel a bit better than what I had originally thought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT