ADVERTISEMENT

More media coverage for Rolo

“At a time when hospital workers across the country are begging American’s to get vaccinated to prevent the spread of COVID, the stance taken by Nick Rolovich is a huge embarrassment for Washington State University,” said Kelly O’Keefe, a corporate brand strategist and CEO of the Brand Federation marketing consultancy in Virginia. “This presents a very real risk for sponsors like Pullman Regional Hospital and others. I would counsel the leadership of Pullman (hospital) to make it clear, with both their voice and their dollars, that the school needs to put an end to this embarrassing episode.”

Rolovich, whose team is 1-1 this year during his second season at WSU, declined to say how he’ll comply with a state mandate requiring him to get the shot or get an exemption based on medical or religious reasons. The deadline set by Gov. Jay Inslee for state workers to be fully vaccinated is Oct. 18.

Rolovich said Monday he said he still planned on “following the mandate and doing what I need to do to be the coach here.”

Thats the start of the article but it basically goes on to say Pullman is dangerous close to Idaho which is under 45% vax rate and is sending large numbers of ICU cases into Washington. Meanwhile WSU is sponsored by PRH and is representing conflicting messages. Marketing nightmare, etc. etc.

“At a time when hospital workers across the country are begging American’s to get vaccinated to prevent the spread of COVID, the stance taken by Nick Rolovich is a huge embarrassment for Washington State University,” said Kelly O’Keefe, a corporate brand strategist and CEO of the Brand Federation marketing consultancy in Virginia. “This presents a very real risk for sponsors like Pullman Regional Hospital and others. I would counsel the leadership of Pullman (hospital) to make it clear, with both their voice and their dollars, that the school needs to put an end to this embarrassing episode.”

Rolovich, whose team is 1-1 this year during his second season at WSU, declined to say how he’ll comply with a state mandate requiring him to get the shot or get an exemption based on medical or religious reasons. The deadline set by Gov. Jay Inslee for state workers to be fully vaccinated is Oct. 18.

Rolovich said Monday he said he still planned on “following the mandate and doing what I need to do to be the coach here.”

Thats the start of the article but it basically goes on to say Pullman is dangerous close to Idaho which is under 45% vax rate and is sending large numbers of ICU cases into Washington. Meanwhile WSU is sponsored by PRH and is representing conflicting messages. Marketing nightmare, etc. etc.

It isnt a good look. He needs to win. Even that might not be enough.

Kelly O'Keefe is a dude (sorry you pervs) who retweets Occupy Democrats out of Virginia.

It is unlikely Pullman Memorial Hospital will lose patients to St Walden General Hospital in the bustling Palouse. Perhaps to the Large Animal Vet Hospital.

It isnt a good look. He needs to win. Even that might not be enough.
Correct...and the coach brought this upon himself and university. He could've handled this with a more lockstep approach with his bosses, still have the same beliefs, and it would've downplayed the issue. Fans then would've been left just talking about his inability to coach a football team well instead of talking about receiving a shot. Instead, he's a distraction.

How much bad PR is WSU willing to take? I would not be surprised if he's already lawyered up.

Correct...and the coach brought this upon himself and university. He could've handled this with a more lockstep approach with his bosses, still have the same beliefs, and it would've downplayed the issue. Fans then would've been left just talking about his inability to coach a football team well instead of talking about receiving a shot. Instead, he's a distraction.

How much bad PR is WSU willing to take? I would not be surprised if he's already lawyered up.

We will find out the day after the deadline.

Again, do distractions help you win football games? Should the head coach be the cause of the distractions?

Not that I disagree with the take, but checking out that "brand consultant's" Twitter feed, it's pretty clear what axes he is grinding.

Rolo is done. This is the wrong topic and he is too inexperienced to dig his heels in against academia.
I think the word I used almost a month ago is toast. You can’t swim upstream when they have the new Elson Floyd Medical College . It is a bad bad look for upper management .

Last edited:
I think he word I used almost a month ago is toast. You can’t swim upstream when they have the new Elson Floyd Medical College . It is a bad bad look for upper management .

You don’t get to embarrass the people that made you a millionaire and created generational wealth for your family. The WSU job was a winning lottery ticket.

It does seem like he somehow relishes the attention and controversy it creates. If you want to keep this story alive as long as possible, this is exactly how to do it. With 2 wins in 2 years maybe he thinks he is bulletproof, but I like the coach who makes it about the players, the team and the school, and not makes himself the subject of 98% of the discussion about the 2021 WSU Cougars.

And I would be very surprised if the next time he goes on a recruiting trip to California, there isn't at least one family that turns him around at the door and tells him they really don't want an unvaccinated individual in their living room, even if it is against his deeply held religious beliefs. He wouldn't be welcome in my home or office.

Reactions: VandallHuskerJulie
It does seem like he somehow relishes the attention and controversy it creates. If you want to keep this story alive as long as possible, this is exactly how to do it. With 2 wins in 2 years maybe he thinks he is bulletproof, but I like the coach who makes it about the players, the team and the school, and not makes himself the subject of 98% of the discussion about the 2021 WSU Cougars.

And I would be very surprised if the next time he goes on a recruiting trip to California, there isn't at least one family that turns him around at the door and tells him they really don't want an unvaccinated individual in their living room, even if it is against his deeply held religious beliefs. He wouldn't be welcome in my home or office.

I wouldnt be surprised if some high schools didnt let unvaxed people into the building.

How do you meet with coaches and players? Off campus I guess. What if the kid wont go? What if meeting him in the coaches office was the only way to get an audience?

Some schools can overcome some issues. Other schools cannot. WSU has such a small margin for error that this doesnt help.

Again, do distractions help you win games? Should the head coach be the source of the distraction?

2 wins in 2 years. Actually, let’s count P5 wins only. Wins against peers is what matters most. He had 1.

Chun should have a plan in place for Turd’s flushing.

Reactions: COCoug
Coaches win in three ways, coaching up kids better than your competition (Leach), out recruiting your competition (Price) and doing both. Rolo just got seriously out coached by USU, and by now Price had brought Bledsoe, Mobley and Butch Williams into the fold. Need I say more. The the USU loss might as well have been losing 66-3 to Cal. How exactly does Rolo, a guy who clearly isn't a good pure coach, and shows no sign of being a good recruiting, right a sinking ship? He doesn't. Throw on top of that his anti-vax hysteria, while employed at a institution that sells higher learning as its business. The quicker he is shown the door the better.

Coaches win in three ways, coaching up kids better than your competition (Leach), out recruiting your competition (Price) and doing both. Rolo just got seriously out coached by USU, and by now Price had brought Bledsoe, Mobley and Butch Williams into the fold. Need I say more. The the USU loss might as well have been losing 66-3 to Cal. How exactly does Rolo, a guy who clearly isn't a good pure coach, and shows no sign of being a good recruiting, right a sinking ship? He doesn't. Throw on top of that his anti-vax hysteria, while employed at a institution that sells higher learning as its business. The quicker he is shown the door the better.
His anti-vax hysteria? More like your vax every person, at all costs, without choice hysteria, nice try though.

You lost me at Price out-recruiting the competition.

Price uncovered kids no one else recruited because there wasn't the network of showcases, 7 v 7 tournaments, and combines there are today. Much harder for kids to fly under the radar now.

If Rolo succeeds here it will be a combination of finding some high upside kids who are raw and therefore over looked (like Dez Stribling) and kids from the portal he missed out on in round one.

Price uncovered kids no one else recruited because there wasn't the network of showcases, 7 v 7 tournaments, and combines there are today. Much harder for kids to fly under the radar now.

If Rolo succeeds here it will be a combination of finding some high upside kids who are raw and therefore over looked (like Dez Stribling) and kids from the portal he missed out on in round one.

The internet changed recruiting. Much easier to find kids now.

Imo, the West Coast is the most poorly coached and developed region of high school football in the nation. It has made the Pac 12 a developmental league. For WSU it is gonna be hard to get kids that are ready to play right away. There are no quick fixes.

His competition wasn't USC, but the OSU, Ariz , ASU Cal and Oregons and when you are favored to win the the Pac-10 by the media from day one (2002), as we were, you can say mission accomplished. Also the 1992 team probably was his most talented. Had Bledsoe played at close to a Leaf, Gesser, Minshew level, we'd certainly been in the Rose Bowl, then too. Price had 16 or 17 players taken in the first 4 Rounds of the draft, we have had 6-7 since. Unlike Leach, Price could only win when he recruited well and he didn't recruit well consistently.

Stop the Price negativity, the guy took us to Rose Bowls for god sake, and he didn't do that with coaching brilliance did he?

Reactions: spongeandshoot

Like other coaches Price signed some under the radar kids that panned out. He also signed kids like Bledsoe, Mobley, Dwayne Sanders, Kevin Brown and Jeremey Williams, among the most sought after kids on the West Coast in their day. We haven't had a similar caliber signing in many a Moon. But that is because Wulff and Leach were our coaches, guys who aren't know for recruiting. Now we have Rolo, who is not setting the recruiting world on fire either.

If you think that Rolo can can be successful based on under the radar kids, I want want you are smoking.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
ADVERTISEMENT