ADVERTISEMENT

More on Tyler....

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
......Spokesman today. Apparently he took his former teammates gun on or before Friday the 12th - 4 days before his death. I knew it wasn't his, but thought it was just his roommate's. Not sure how they know the Friday date. Also, as I mentioned last week, his teammates beat the cops to his apartment and broke down the door looking for him. :(

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/23/gun-found-near-hilinski-was-taken-from-former-wsu-/#/0
those two kids are going to need a lot of support and prayers. I can't even imagine.

Now that the ammunition was revealed. The weapon was an AR-15 style weapon. Tired of hearing about those fricking tactical weapons in the news.

I have read in other posts the players who went to Tyler's old apartment and broke the door down were Nick Begg and Payton Pueller. Those two were going to be Tyler's roommates in his new apartment.

Very sad for everyone. I hope they all get the assistance they need going forward.

Not wanting to get too much into a gun debate but I'm pretty pro-A2. You realize the type of gun, in this situation, truly means nothing. A non-"tactical" weapon would have had the same outcome.

Read the second amendment. It is pretty interesting. It talks about militias, not individuals. It basically allowed states to keep their arm militias. It is interpreted much broader today.

Agree. The method of how he passed likely would not have changed the outcome.

Word locally, yesterday, someone both hung and shot themselves from the Narrows Bridge.

Plenty of .223 weapons that are non tactical. But what does it matter anyway

Was told it was an AR15 late last week. What does it matter? It’s a video game type weapon, ‘cool’. I just don’t think the student who brought it to Pullman would have brought a 30/30. Not saying Tyler wouldn’t have found a bridge or a rope somewhere, but it wouldn’t have been that easy either.

Read the second amendment. It is pretty interesting. It talks about militias, not individuals. It basically allowed states to keep their arm militias. It is interpreted much broader today.

Let's not litigate this issue on this board. Your interpretation disagrees with SCOTUS' ruling...if that matters (and I'm not saying it does, because they are flat-out wrong sometimes as history has shown).

Agree. The method of how he passed likely would not have changed the outcome.

Word locally, yesterday, someone both hung and shot themselves from the Narrows Bridge.

Yes...and those who thought they could have saved him by just being there to give him a hug are placing too much influence on themselves. He unfortunately decided he didn't want to live anymore. It's profoundly tragic. He will be missed. So sad for his parents and family.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Let's not litigate this issue on this board. Your interpretation disagrees with SCOTUS' ruling...if that matters (and I'm not saying it does, because they are flat-out wrong sometimes as history has shown).

I was not taking a position. Just a comment.

It refers to “the people”. It could be argued that it’s intent is only to ensure the availability of a militia, but that is not completely clear...and that is not the Supreme Court’s current interpretation.

I knew plenty of guys who had .270s .300s .308s shotguns, rifles etc at WSU. Maybe if it would have been one of those the guys woulda been able to say, what the hell are you trying to do with a hunting rifle, you don’t hunt? But then again he “took” it without knowledge. A toaster and water works, a rope works, drugs work. Sounds like unfortunately it was pre determined. Hope he he is at peace.

Yes...and those who thought they could have saved him by just being there to give him a hug are placing too much influence on themselves. He unfortunately decided he didn't want to live anymore. It's profoundly tragic. He will be missed. So sad for his parents and family.

Well that was sort of my point before others turned it into a gun rights thread. Apparently Tyler had been thinking about it for days. Doesn't mean that someone being there couldn't have done something to stop it - at that time. Maybe not next time. Just sad and unexplainable. :(

The SCOTUS ruling did not address the right to possess weapons outside one's home, a scenario that clearly has been regulated in this country's history.

If it were up to me every player on the team would wear #3. In memory of and in hopes of sending a message to players and fans that it's ok to ask for help. We'd take the penalty. I wouldn't care.

If I were an opposing head coach, my team would wear #3 and if you were in my stadium my fans would wear #3 tee shirts.

Sportsmanship and comraderie and support matters. These are boys that need help. Whatever it takes to do so.

If it were up to me every player on the team would wear #3. In memory of and in hopes of sending a message to players and fans that it's ok to ask for help. We'd take the penalty. I wouldn't care.

If I were an opposing head coach, my team would wear #3 and if you were in my stadium my fans would wear #3 tee shirts.

Sportsmanship and comraderie and support matters. These are boys that need help. Whatever it takes to do so.
Agreed Biggs. Living with depression is hard. Feeling like your broken is not fun. And when you get to a point where you are talking and taking med's to help, every time you have to take your medications, it's a reminder that your broken. It's a horrible cycle that is so hard to truly describe. Support and the ability to not feel shame... that's the biggest thing anyone can do. They don't need to feel shame. They aren't a burden to their family or friends. The inherent selfishness of depression is a monster that takes and takes. The incredibly hard balancing act of support without saying the world revolves around me... It's just hard. Just remember, everyone means something, to someone.

The gun thing... this isn't the place for that and I'm sorry for responding CrimsonDisciple.

Well that was sort of my point before others turned it into a gun rights thread. Apparently Tyler had been thinking about it for days. Doesn't mean that someone being there couldn't have done something to stop it - at that time. Maybe not next time. Just sad and unexplainable. :(
Not to belabor this thread but I truly do want to help people recognize what depression is... He wasn't thinking about this for days, Loyal. He was thinking about this, most likely for years. Even the depressed don't think that taking a life is trivial. It wasn't just a feeling that hit him and then he just did it. He most likely just didn't feel there was a way out. No other options. But for years, the depressed can think, "One more day. One more day." A good day means everything. I've always made the analogy that it's like holding your breathe in a pool. You can get into a rhythm. Swim underwater and come up for air. But sometimes that rhythm isn't there. And you just feel panicked. Like you can't breathe. Normal perspective is lost when you're panicked. Those days are scary as hell. Very dark...

On that note, I think for next season everyone wears #3 on a helmet sticker or a sleeve patch. Nobody wears the #3 jersey until the 2020 season (when Hilinski would have been gone anyway).

I've read other ideas on forms of acknowledgement on the field. I'm somewhat torn on these, as I think we need to be careful about too much 'glorifying' what he did. That said, here are some of the suggestions I've seen/heard:
  • For the home opener, the team follows the #3 jersey out of the tunnel.
  • Captains carry #3 to midfield for coin toss
  • Retire #3
  • For the home opener, offense takes the field for the first time with no QB (similar to what WIsconsin did after their punter died a couple seasons ago)
  • #3 flag to be raised with the WSU flag
  • Hilinski's family gets invited to Senior Day in 2019
Of these, the last one is the only one I'm fully on board with (assuming the family wants this). I accept that there is likely to be some sort of remembrance at the home opener, I'm just not sure what that looks like. Is it one of these things, or is it a montage on the video board? Maybe the team just takes the #3 jersey and drapes it on the bench as their own remembrance, rather than a public one. I'm not sure.

If I'm San Jose State's coach, my team gets #3 helmet stickers for that game, and they line up on the sidelines with no helmets for whatever ceremony WSU wants to have (before the whole Kaepernick thing, I would have directed them to a knee). Might do the same as EWU's coach, based only on proximity. As a conference opponent, I don't actively propose anything. If WSU offers helmet stickers or some other recognition, we participate, but we follow their lead.

Reactions: kayak15
On that note, I think for next season everyone wears #3 on a helmet sticker or a sleeve patch. Nobody wears the #3 jersey until the 2020 season (when Hilinski would have been gone anyway).

I've read other ideas on forms of acknowledgement on the field. I'm somewhat torn on these, as I think we need to be careful about too much 'glorifying' what he did. That said, here are some of the suggestions I've seen/heard:
  • Retire #3
  • For the home opener, offense takes the field for the first time with no QB (similar to what WIsconsin did after their punter died a couple seasons ago)
Of these, the last one is the only one I'm fully on board with (assuming the family wants this). I accept that there is likely to be some sort of remembrance at the home opener, I'm just not sure what that looks like. Is it one of these things, or is it a montage on the video board? Maybe the team just takes the #3 jersey and drapes it on the bench as their own remembrance, rather than a public one. I'm not sure.

If I'm San Jose State's coach, my team gets #3 helmet stickers for that game, and they line up on the sidelines with no helmets for whatever ceremony WSU wants to have (before the whole Kaepernick thing, I would have directed them to a knee). Might do the same as EWU's coach, based only on proximity. As a conference opponent, I don't actively propose anything. If WSU offers helmet stickers or some other recognition, we participate, but we follow their lead.

The last thing I would do is retire the number. I’d make it prominent. I’d make it known. I’d use it as a way to bring attention to depression and that there are those that will help. Stickers can’t be seen from the stands or on the TV.

• Retire #3

There, in my opinion, is a real danger in glorifying suicide. I hesitate to use that word, because I think there's a stark difference between a mass shooter that is seeking glory from a disgusting act and the media plastering their face across the tv for weeks on end - and someone who is so far down in a hole they can't fathom a way out. To be clear, its the media/ social media/ etc that glorifies it, not the person. Anyway...

I haven't talked to my 10 year old son about this yet for that exact reason. Once that can of worms has been opened (where you put in his head that suicide is a thing and that even really popular, great kids have done it), its there and then we as a fan base go on and on and on about it.

Home opener - moment of silence for TH (and maybe all the victims of suicide, including the 22 American veteran that lose that battle EVERY DAY - but then again, maybe not...). Team wear 3 on the helmet and a blue ribbon, home programs have the National Suicide prevention hotline number and ad in it.

There, in my opinion, is a real danger in glorifying suicide. I hesitate to use that word, because I think there's a stark difference between a mass shooter that is seeking glory from a disgusting act and the media plastering their face across the tv for weeks on end - and someone who is so far down in a hole they can't fathom a way out. To be clear, its the media/ social media/ etc that glorifies it, not the person. Anyway...

I haven't talked to my 10 year old son about this yet for that exact reason. Once that can of worms has been opened (where you put in his head that suicide is a thing and that even really popular, great kids have done it), its there and then we as a fan base go on and on and on about it.

Home opener - moment of silence for TH (and maybe all the victims of suicide, including the 22 American veteran that lose that battle EVERY DAY - but then again, maybe not...). Team wear 3 on the helmet and a blue ribbon, home programs have the National Suicide prevention hotline number and ad in it.
The question may be how to recognize it without glorifying it. It's a good question. People my age used to play cowboys and Indians because we taught that the cowboys were the good guys and the Indians were the bad guys . Everything we learned from textbooks at the time ignored the other and more brutal side of the story. I guess in order to learn anything from the past...both sides need to be represented fairly without ignoring the facts. Also...I remembered something a very smart psychology teacher told us one time and that was that it's not only the bad students you need to worry about in terms of depression, but also talk to the 4.0 students who may be hung up on perfection. I dated a couple of women who thought the world was going to come to an end if they ever got a B in a class. We can't all relate to that.

I’d be on board with that more inclusive form, putting the focus on the larger issue.

Whatever the team and WSU want to do, TH and #3 shouldn’t be attached to it unless his family gives the OK.

The question may be how to recognize it without glorifying it. It's a good question. People my age used to play cowboys and Indians because we taught that the cowboys were the good guys and the Indians were the bad guys . Everything we learned from textbooks at the time ignored the other and more brutal side of the story. I guess in order to learn anything from the past...both sides need to be represented fairly without ignoring the facts. Also...I remembered something a very smart psychology teacher told us one time and that was that it's not only the bad students you need to worry about in terms of depression, but also talk to the 4.0 students who may be hung up on perfection. I dated a couple of women who thought the world was going to come to an end if they ever got a B in a class. We can't all relate to that.

I always preferred my dates to be dumb as rocks. :)

You are absolutely right. I can tell you work with kids.

I am sure WSU has experts working on how to handle the situation. I have worked in public schools for 40 years, A former Superintendent of Schools. I have attended far too many student funerals, several by suicide. When a suicide happens you are concerned about all kinds of things. You have to take care of the living (survivors), friends, family, fans, students, and anyone else that may have been effected. I have seen churches completely mishandle some of those situations making it almost impossible on schools. Why did it happen? How could it be prevented? Is there a suicide pact? How do we take care of the grieving while they are vulnerable? How much counseling support is need? How do you honor the grieving without glorifying the act? What changes need to be made? When can can you return to a normal routine? It goes on and on. Different professionals handle situation differently. I have been impressed with how Falk has been talking about it in interviews? He is honoring Tyler, while not glorifying the act. I cannot begin to tell you what WSU is going through. It is a scaring time. You are afraid of losing another student under your care.

It's a difficult subject to talk to your kids about. Your son is still young enough that you can avoid it. My son is a HS freshman. I believe there was a kid that committed suicide last year while my son was still in middle school. There are suicide awareness and hotline posters literally plastered everywhere in the school. He asked me about all the posters right after school started and it really freaked me out.

Anyway, maybe there is a way to do something meaningful. I mean something more than wearing a ribbon on a helmet. That seems to have become a cliche. If there is something the new medical school can do or the Pyschology Department can do (a mental health program named after Hilinski, a chair named after him, something). I think it's OK to remember things that have rocked you to the core. That's certainly the situation here.

Last edited:
It's a difficult subject to talk to your kids about. Your son is still young enough that you can avoid it. My son is a HS freshman. I believe there was a kid that committed suicide last year while my son was still in middle school. There are suicide awareness and hotline posters literally plastered everywhere in the school. He asked me about all the posters right after school started and it really freaked me out.

Anyway, maybe there is a way to do something meaningful. I mean something more than wearing a ribbon on a helmet. That seems to have become a cliche. If there is something the new medical school can do or the Pyschology Department can do (a mental health program named after Hilinski, a chair named after him, something). I think it's OK to remember things that have rocked you to the core. That's certainly the situation here.

Obviously no one wants to do anything that "glorifies" suicide. Kids can, and do, look at others doing this and use it to justify their feelings and actions. Copycat/Pacts/Clusters all happen with suicide in younger folks. That needs to be taken into account and prevented if at all possible. That prevention is up to all of us as parents, grandparents, friends, and partners/spouses (for those in need who are older).

And it needs to happen in our approach to life, and how we interact with younger folks, as well as all those around us. One never knows if who they are interacting with is walking that fine edge. It doesn't always show.

Awareness and kindness also needs to extend past our inner circle. I'm in no way suggesting we all need to aggressively approach someone who seems to be just having a bad day, of course. But a bit of awareness and kindness can always make anyone's load a little lighter. Obviously, if there's a sense of a deeper issue, trying to get a higher level of help involved is the idea.

The professionals can mostly help when someone reaches out, or someone's actions put them in the professional's care.

I don't believe anyone wants to to trivialize Tyler's passing by making a "cliche" gesture towards his memory. But often those methods, the wearing of the number as a helmet sticker or jersey patch, moment of silence, the suggested "missing man" formation, etc, etc are the most reasonable and visible means of remembering him, in the short term.

Whatever is done should not be looked at as glorifying the way he died, rather as remembering the person he was and impact he had on those around him. I know that even well meaning gestures could be misinterpreted by some as glorifying, or condoning the way his life was ended. But that shouldn't keep WSU from finding a way to be able to recognize Tyler for the person he was and how he will be missed.

In the short run, that may be doing something that some look at as cliche?

In the long run, I honestly hope that some of the deeper ideas come true, about (with his family's approval) putting his name to something lasting with the medical school's mental health training department, or a Psychology Dept mental health program. That would be truly meaningful and would preserve his memory in a positive way, long term.

The last thing I would do is retire the number. I’d make it prominent. I’d make it known. I’d use it as a way to bring attention to depression and that there are those that will help. Stickers can’t be seen from the stands or on the TV.

Gosh no, don't retire #3. What purpose does that serve ? Have to be careful not to glorify the death and suicide. Not sure the school should place #3 on helmets or uniforms either. If the players want to write #3 on their arms I would be ok with that. Let individual players decide on that. Again I think Wazzu needs to be careful and not glorify an awful situation.

Gosh no, don't retire #3. What purpose does that serve ? Have to be careful not to glorify the death and suicide. Not sure the school should place #3 on helmets or uniforms either. If the players want to write #3 on their arms I would be ok with that. Let individual players decide on that. Again I think Wazzu needs to be careful and not glorify an awful situation.

They will definitely have #3 on their helmets or jerseys in the fall. But agree, no on retiring the jersey. If for no other reason, with 100+ guys on the team, every number is needed. The only numbers we have retired are Mel Hein's #7 and Jack Thompson's #14.

ADVERTISEMENT