ADVERTISEMENT

Morris on the way out?

No more F'ing air raid please.

I just saw a tweet that said they are hiring the other dude.

Air Raid is fine, good, ok, AS LONG AS ITS NOT THE LEACH RAID, and as long as it's the SONNY DYKES ESQUE COUG RAID, that Dickert wants, and as long as it's ROBERT ANAE, GARRET RILEY, DOUG MEACHAM, DARRIN CHIAVERINI.

The other Air Raid, Leach Raid options either SUCK, or NOT, WONT BE A GOOD FIT, OR WONT RUN THE DAMN BALL EVEN WHEN DEFENSE ONLY RUSHING 2,3 AND DROPPING 8,9 BACK INTO PASS COVERAGE

The interview didn't go well, because Texas St likely did their homework, digging, etc, and found out that despite the 7-5 record, bowl game, semi ok looking stat numbers on the surface, they found out that Morris isn't a good playcaller outside the RedZone, and either doesn't run the ball, or stops running the ball, after successfully running the ball.

The interview didn't go well, because Texas St likely did their homework, digging, etc, and found out that despite the 7-5 record, bowl game, semi ok looking stat numbers on the surface, they found out that Morris isn't a good playcaller outside the RedZone, and either doesn't run the ball, or stops running the ball, after successfully running the ball.
or Morris decided he wasn't interested. Morris saying, "no thanks" would qualify as "not going well".

Reactions: PeteTheChop
or Morris decided he wasn't interested. Morris saying, "no thanks" would qualify as "not going well".

That's a really small possibility.

If Morris wants to be a P5 HC, being a HC at a FBS MID MAJOR like Texas St, is a good step.

And it's not like he can say no because he can get a better HC job, somewhere else.

He was damn lucky to even be considered for the HC job at Texas St.

The only way, reason why Morris would say no to the job, is if he has no HC aspirations, or if he were to erroneously think that if he is WSU's OC long enough that he would get a better HC offer at a P5 college, which wouldn't happen, because only WSU HC's, not position coaches, not OC's, not DC's get HC jobs at P5 colleges.

The only other possibility would be if he thinks he would replace Dickert as HC, but since Dickert has had SUCCESSFUL 7 WIN BOWL SEASONS, he probably isn't going anywhere soon, before 5 years, and Chun probably wouldn't make him the HC.

So that leaves that he possibly doesn't want to be a HC, because any WSU DC or OC that had HC aspirations would jump all over the opportunity to be a HC at a FBS Mid Major like Texas St, to set the table for hopefully a future P5 coaching job.

My guess is that he watched what happened down with Seth Litrell and other air raid guys and didn’t end well . Sounds like a dead end job . Build the resume and get ward cleaned up mechanically and what he is looking at and get oline fixed another gig will call .

Reactions: Coug90
My guess is that he watched what happened down with Seth Litrell and other air raid guys and didn’t end well . Sounds like a dead end job . Build the resume and get ward cleaned up mechanically and what he is looking at and get oline fixed another gig will call .
They are set up to score 40 a game next year. Morris can be a hero or zero depending on what he gets out of his guys in the next 8 months. Blow it out next year, turn Cam into a first rounder, then pick your job.

Morris was being offered the same amount as the previous coach. His camp said that’s a non starter

Anyone know what Morris is making at WSU? I believe Spavital, the prior Texas State head coach, was making $800k.

San Marcos is ok I guess although the only good thing I remember about it was a place called Kismet that made pretty good migas. It’s close to Austin & San Antonio. That’s it.

Yeah, eventually, he can do better.

Anyone know what Morris is making at WSU? I believe Spavital, the prior Texas State head coach, was making $800k.
For 2021, it was $120,300

This may not be his annual salary. It's what he earned on his W-2 in 2021. What month did he start?

Last edited:
Air Raid is fine, good, ok, AS LONG AS ITS NOT THE LEACH RAID, and as long as it's the SONNY DYKES ESQUE COUG RAID, that Dickert wants, and as long as it's ROBERT ANAE, GARRET RILEY, DOUG MEACHAM, DARRIN CHIAVERINI.

The other Air Raid, Leach Raid options either SUCK, or NOT, WONT BE A GOOD FIT, OR WONT RUN THE DAMN BALL EVEN WHEN DEFENSE ONLY RUSHING 2,3 AND DROPPING 8,9 BACK INTO PASS COVERAGE

There was a debate about this on Brand Z a while back, but Mik what’s your opinion on which offensive scheme fits WSU better as far as returning to the top tier of the Pac-12?

Air Raid or Run and Shoot?

Their facilities look as good or better than ours.

Ugh...
One more reason for Schultzie and Chun to deliver the new game-changing IPF.

Wouldn’t hurt, either, if the administration announced “Biggs stadium-expansion plan” to build some momentum (even if no shovels are going into the dirt for a few years).

I get irritated with these rigid labels and restrictions fans and so-called experts put on systems like the "air-raid."

As a coach, if you run the air-raid, you still have total autonomy to modify the offense to fit the strengths and weaknesses of your team and your weekly opponent. If your offensive line sucks, you had better be able to adapt. If the defense is dropping 8 into coverage, you need to have immediate check downs. If your roster is surprisingly heavy with running back depth, you need to tweak the offense to feature them more. If your QB is slippery in the pocket like Cam Ward, you should craft some plays and coach him to situationally take advantage of the EASY 6-8 yards that are available to him on most plays.

I don't care if you run the air-raid, run-and-shoot, or the freaking power-I, good coaching requires yearly adaptation to your current roster.

I get irritated with these rigid labels and restrictions fans and so-called experts put on systems like the "air-raid."

As a coach, if you run the air-raid, you still have total autonomy to modify the offense to fit the strengths and weaknesses of your team and your weekly opponent. If your offensive line sucks, you had better be able to adapt. If the defense is dropping 8 into coverage, you need to have immediate check downs. If your roster is surprisingly heavy with running back depth, you need to tweak the offense to feature them more. If your QB is slippery in the pocket like Cam Ward, you should craft some plays and coach him to situationally take advantage of the EASY 6-8 yards that are available to him on most plays.

I don't care if you run the air-raid, run-and-shoot, or the freaking power-I, good coaching requires yearly adaptation to your current roster.
Johnathon Smith is the master of game planning his opponents.

I agree with what you say here, but despite that system, scheme, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, FIT, is extremely important as it is a general guide, blueprint, plan, that you recruit to, that you do reps, practice, etc, and that takes advantage of the recruits that are more suited to the scheme they were recruited to, etc.

Also to go along with what your saying, people, fans, coaches, players get too caught up in how a scheme, system has to have X widgets, etc, can't be hybrid, etc.

Sonny Dykes is a awesome example of a MODIFIED HYBRID Air Raid, instead the classic Leach Raid.

Sonny Dykes has a Modified Hybrid Balanced Air Raid, that has a TE, 1 RB, 3 WR, that runs the ball about 40% of time, passes 60% of time, uses every blade of grass on field, takes what the defense gives, runs when 4,5 in Box, passes when 6,7 in box, runs when 1/2 yard to go for first down, goal, to move chains, score, instead of a pass that can be dropped.

That's Sonny Dykes BASE system, scheme. And he recruits recruits to that. And it's what he reps, in practice, game. And that system, scheme is important.

But that said Sonny Dykes also adapts, which goes along with HIS Naturally ADAPTIVE Air Raid.

There was a debate about this on Brand Z a while back, but Mik what’s your opinion on which offensive scheme fits WSU better as far as returning to the top tier of the Pac-12?

I don't think it's easy to answer that because we've never seen the modern version of either one.

Leach's Air Raid, as successful as it was here, was always hampered by the fact that we refused to run even when the defense dared us to. In 2012-15, that may have been at least in part because we didn't have very reliable options in the backfield. By 2016, as Morrow & WIcks started to emerge, and then with Williams and Borghi, there was no excuse for not running. By 2018, we should have been able to move the ball however we wanted. The fact that even Minshew - who I judge as one of the smartest QBs we've had - didn't check to the run in a light box, tells me that he wasn't allowed to. Big mistake.

The little bit of Run & Shoot that we've seen has a similar issue - we emphasized the "shoot" part, not so much the "run." I think we tried to run a little more, but Borghi's tentativeness in his final season hampered our success...especially when combined with the fact that we had an OL that - for the most part - couldn't remember how to run block. We saw it in streaks this year, but again there was a significant reluctance to run when we should have...whether that was from Dickert, Morris, or Ward, I don't know.

The real answer is like Patrol says above. You have your base offensive philosophy, which takes advantage of your strengths. But you have to adapt to your opponent to attack their weaknesses, and to respond to how they attack yours. You set up your audibles to make quick, on-the-fly changes. Checking to the run is the easy one. And, you coach the hell out of your QB so that he knows when to do what.

The challenge in the past for WSU was for WSU to use a gimmick, or differentiate, because if WSU did the exact same as everyone, then the big boys, blue bloods, etc, would get all the good XYZ system recruits, and WSU would get the left over XYZ system recruits, if they did the SAME XYZ system in the past.

So there are the following lines of thought on about which scheme for WSU.

1. IF WSU can't recruit. Then WSU better off doing something different. The Run N Shoot is different, not done a lot, and WSU can, could recruit good Run and Shoot recruits.

Problem is Run and Shoot isn't popular in Highschool, thus limiting HS Run N Shoot recruits, and not very many good Run N Shoot college coaches

2. If WSU can recruit, is a semi quasi big boy.

Then WSU can do either system, but still for the run n shoot, there is still the lack of Highschool run n shoot recruits, and still lack of good run n shoot college coaches.

3. The run n shoot is more ADAPTIVE, but still has the problems above.

4. The Air Raid is Adaptable by a GOOD COACH, but is less good if it is the classic LEACH RAID AKA not running ball, even when defense rushing 2, dropping 9.

5. The OL is easier to get, recruit, teach, rep, etc, the Air Raid, then the Run N Shoot.

Based on the above iF the run and shoot didn't have it's problems, it would probably be best.

But for now the NON Leach Raid, SONNY DYKES RAID, 1 TE, 1RB, 3 WR, HYBRID 40% run, 60% pass, Air Raid, that has a couple, few, some elements from the Mike Price offense, pistol, spread, RPO, etc, mixed in, that is ADAPTIVE, etc, is THE BEST SCHEME, SYSTEM, FIT FOR WSU right now,

For now it's still easy to recruit to, tho in the future that might change, because more colleges are starting to go or are going Air Raid.

But despite that, it's still better then Run N Shoot, as long as it's NOT the LEACH RAID.

By 2016, as Morrow & WIcks started to emerge, and then with Williams and Borghi, there was no excuse for not running

What a truly great player that Jamal Morrow!

One of the best Pac-12 running backs in the last 10 years

the problem is that if you are true to the air raid(Mike Leach) prinicples, you don't do a lot of what you mentioned because their mentor thinks the air raid doesn't need to change.

So you don't see an offense that stretches the field vertically...even though the core principal of the air raid is to make the defense cover all of the blades of grass.

The other principal is that those stupid wr screens and swing passes are viewed as a run in the air raid.

I agree with the premise of your post...if they acutually follow the tenets it can be a good offense. But too many times I have seen us not run the ball in a light box and throw a wr screen when there is a defender right there to blow it up.

We also abandon the run when it has been working. Sorta like what Mike Leach did in the Egg bowl this year(and at WSU). Fortunately for him, he decided to get back to the run after passing every down and getting his qb blown up and throwing incompletions.

I prefer not having my 3rd string QB come in inside the 5…let’s go Air Raid.

Reactions: mikalalas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT