ADVERTISEMENT

Mountain West coaching ain’t working Pat Chun!

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
This is the worst half of football since Wulff with far more talent.

run the ball.

don’t put your corners in man unless they can cover.

brink called the obvious keys where is Rolos head at?

Reactions: M-I-Coug
You can't say we had a good, or even a semi-good, game plan heading into this game.

Again -- why not run more? Why not let deLaura settle in?

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I'm not ready to fire anyone, but going man against the air raid with the talent discrepancy we have vs USC is the dumbest idea I have seen in a long time.

It was Ugly but Wulff was never:
Down 3/4 of his secondary starters
Down nearly 30 players overall
Starting a QB who has been in Covid quarantine for 3 weeks.

The man coverage was an insane game plan but something tells me they thought they could bring pressure with USCs patchwork OLine and realized even their 2 outman our rush. The CBs weren’t in bad spots they were just totally inadequate against USCs players.

If anything this is a teaching moment for the coaches the strength and development/ recruiting it will take on the defensive side of the ball to compete.

This is the worst half of football since Wulff with far more talent.

run the ball.

don’t put your corners in man unless they can cover.

brink called the obvious keys where is Rolos head at?

How soon we forget about the worst half of football. I witnessed the worst half in person last year, that was giving up 50 points in one half to UCLA when you had a 4 touchdown lead in the 2nd half. That was far worse than this. And you can make the comment that "we'll we were in the game" IMO with that big of a lead, UCLA never should have been in it, but they won. And the 29 points given up in the 4th quarter exceed the 28 in the first quarter yesterday.

Growing pains people, it happens, especially when the team on the other side is loaded with 4 and 5 star talent. We need and experienced group to over come that.

How soon we forget about the worst half of football. I witnessed the worst half in person last year, that was giving up 50 points in one half to UCLA when you had a 4 touchdown lead in the 2nd half. That was far worse than this. And you can make the comment that "we'll we were in the game" IMO with that big of a lead, UCLA never should have been in it, but they won. And the 29 points given up in the 4th quarter exceed the 28 in the first quarter yesterday.

Growing pains people, it happens, especially when the team on the other side is loaded with 4 and 5 star talent. We need and experienced group to over come that.

We need a staff that coaches like 4 and 5 star coaches. We need a 5 star culture. We have neither.

Pick up the pace, turn up the intensity, demand more from the kids.

WSU looked like a JV team. Like they were the frosh playing the varsity. Outsized, out coached, out done.

I expect a few things from WSU coaches.

1) Well coached schemes that take 3 star prospects and turn them into 5 star players within the scheme.
2) Good play calls.
3) Ultimate effort.
4) Fit, fast, strong.
5) All day f$cking tough.

I saw flashes of some, not enough. Sure as hell not 60 minutes.

WSU isnt gonna out star SC. They arent gonna line up in I backs and out SC SC. They cant line up toe to toe and trade punches. WSU has to be different. Different scheme, different players, different culture. If not, 28-0 in the first quarter. I have news for you, 425 aint gonna cut it. It’s trying to out SC SC. It’s a scheme from a blue blood FCS program that does more with more. It aint a scheme for a program that needs to do more with less.

You do those 5 things above and WSU wins games. Miss or skimp or cut corners on any of them, 28-0 in the first quarter.

WSU is a true coaches program. You get zero margin for error. Top to bottom you have to be on your game in every aspect. You cant just roll out the ball and win by talent alone.

We need a staff that coaches like 4 and 5 star coaches. We need a 5 star culture. We have neither.

WSU looked like a JV team. Like they were the frosh playing the varsity. Outsized, out coached, out done.

1) Well coached schemes that take 3 star prospects and turn them into 5 star players within the scheme.
2) Good play calls.
3) Ultimate effort.
4) Fit, fast, strong.

WSU isnt gonna out star SC. They arent gonna line up in I backs and out SC SC. They cant line up toe to toe and trade punches. WSU has to be different. Different scheme, different players, different culture. If not, 28-0 in the first quarter. I have news for you, 425 aint gonna cut it. It’s trying to out SC SC. It’s a scheme from a blue blood FCS program that does more with more. It aint a scheme for a program that needs to do more with less.

You do those 5 things above and WSU wins games. Miss or skimp or cut corners on any of them, 28-0 in the first quarter.

WSU is a true coaches program. You get zero margin for error. Top to bottom you have to be on your game in every aspect. You cant just roll out the ball and win by talent alone.

We need some donors that donate. Know anyone that is a message board loudmouth that doesn't give a dime?

Last edited:

2) Good play calls.
3) Ultimate effort.
4) Fit, fast, strong.

So what kind of defense do you recommend?

I like the 4 man front. I think our d line did a pretty good job...especially stopping the run.

I think I'll wait til next yr to reserve judgement. This would be a tough year for any new coach coming in with qb's that doesn't have any live reps.

So what kind of defense do you recommend?

I like the 4 man front. I think our d line did a pretty good job...especially stopping the run.

I think I'll wait til next yr to reserve judgement. This would be a tough year for any new coach coming in with qb's that doesn't have any live reps.

I was a fan of the speed D. I think WSU will struggle to land big bodies along the DL needed to take on and shed blocks.

I agree with Biggs.

I liked Speed D. Easier to recruit too.

Offensive scheme that is easy to recruit too and execute. Air Raid seemed to be simple. Run and shoot, not sure on how "deep" the play book is.

Culture of preparation by the coaches. Again, just didn't see it.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I agree with Biggs.

Offensive scheme that is easy to recruit too and execute. Air Raid seemed to be simple. Run and shoot, not sure on how "deep" the play book is.

I don't agree with the air raid being simple. You pretty much have to have an upper classman run it.

Tuel was good enough to at least sniff the NFL and he struggled...as did Halladay.

It's not as plug and play as everyone thinks. Miss St. is a good case study.

Last edited:
Regarding the speed D...I think the jury is still out.

We had 2 good years. We have had quite a bit of success under Doba and a 4 man front. And I think this d line is way better than last yr.

I still think we can get 2 stout tackles, 2 speed d ends, smaller but fast lb's...and I would put those defenses that excelled under Doba against the speed D any day.

I think that formula could still work. Just need to recruit to it.

Regarding the speed D...I think the jury is still out.

We had 2 good years. We have had quite a bit of success under Doba and a 4 man front. And I think this d line is way better than last yr.

I still think we can get 2 stout tackles, 2 speed d ends, smaller but fast lb's...and I would put those defenses that excelled under Doba against the speed D any day.

I think that formula could still work. Just need to recruit to it.

I think Doba’s and Price’s tenure was so long ago it isnt applicable as a comparison. Just a diff time. Especially with the internet and social media blowing kids up. Very hard to find anyone under the radar any more. Which is what it would take for WSU to go 6’6” 280, 6’5” 300, 6’7” 340 and 6’4” 260 across the DL....

I think Doba’s and Price’s tenure was so long ago it isnt applicable as a comparison. Just a diff time. Especially with the internet and social media blowing kids up. Very hard to find anyone under the radar any more. Which is what it would take for WSU to go 6’6” 280, 6’5” 300, 6’7” 340 and 6’4” 260 across the DL....

I don't know if we can amass the talent we had in 2002-03 again, but Leach was far from a strong recruiter, even on offense. I believe we can do significantly better recruiting defense, if recruiting defense first, is the objective. As Leach proves you can move the ball on offense, with bottom wrung talent, it is much harder stop someone on defense with that talent level. Its the Price epiphany!

2) Good play calls.
3) Ultimate effort.
4) Fit, fast, strong.

For the record......28-0 in this game is meaningless when evaluating Rolo and the program. We got jobbed by a bad call on 4th down on our first drive that deprived us of points. We had a extremely young QB coming off an illness that deprived him of practice playing in the highest profile game of his life (prime time game against a historic program on the road). We were missing several starters on defense.

All this talk about culture and prospects is just a bunch of crap. This season is trash....that game was trash. All that we are going to get out of this season is a lot of live scrimmages to judge individual play for the future.

Also, this was our first game in 3 wks, with sporadic and disrupted practice schedules. It at least seems the USC is finding some rhythm after playing week
after week after week. Reps matter, especially for us with a new system.

SC looks much better than they did in their first 2 games, which should have been losses. It's. Just. Too. Soon. To. Tell. That's all I have to say about that.

I agree with Biggs.

Except that you can't always trade speed for size. The interior guys have to be legit, otherwise they just get run over. Guys like Hercules are an extreme exception.

And honestly, it's not like the Speed D was exceptionally fast. They were just more or less up to snuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
For the record......28-0 in this game is meaningless when evaluating Rolo and the program. We got jobbed by a bad call on 4th down on our first drive that deprived us of points. We had a extremely young QB coming off an illness that deprived him of practice playing in the highest profile game of his life (prime time game against a historic program on the road). We were missing several starters on defense.

All this talk about culture and prospects is just a bunch of crap. This season is trash....that game was trash. All that we are going to get out of this season is a lot of live scrimmages to judge individual play for the future.

For WSU as a whole, I think this season will turn out to be a blessing for us compared to our P12 rivals; particularly the bigger fish.

I suspect that WSU will retain most of it's roster next season, including the seniors who will take advantage of the extra year of eligibility. We don't have a lot of kids who will be tempted by the NFL outside of Borghi and maybe Lucas. The same cannot be said for Oregon, or USC, or UW, or ASU, or UCLA, or Stanford, or OSU (Jefferson). Without even looking at their rosters, I suspect that each of those programs will lose more kids than we will. Our defense is going to be a lot stronger, and our QB play will be significantly better. Borghi and McIntosh will both likely return, as will the majority of our WR and O-line group.

Now, that doesn't mean that we'll gain a monumental advantage over our P12 counterparts, but this year will have provided us with the perfect transitional season from Leach to Rolo. It's not a year that's going to be remembered or judged harshly by fans or recruits, and we're going to truck into Spring ball with a much, MUCH better outlook than we had this season.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT