ADVERTISEMENT

MSU staff changes

There’s a quote I have on my desk that has paid off for my career and a mindset I’ve pushed on the managers below me:

“There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go if he doesn’t mind who gets the credit.”

I heard about the plaque Reagan had, and it rang true to how I was molded as a young engineer. Ive mentioned this principle with highly successful people that know personally—people who are phenomenally more accomplished than I am—have agreed wholeheartedly with it. And I bet the best coaches, the one with longterm success, are like this. This is why I’m not very bullish on Prime—unless he’s changed or it is all an act. And if your assessment of Arnett is accurate he’ll crash and burn too.

(Apparently the oldest formulation for this idea is from a Jesuit preist, Fr Strickland: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/12/21/doing-good-selfless/ )
Not to shift this thread in a better/different direction....but Suudy makes a good point. A logical extension of the "get 'er done regardless of who gets credit" mindset is what is broadly today referred to as "servant leadership". The fundamental concept is that it is the leader's job to keep everyone else productive, rather than it is everyone else's job to keep the leader productive...and credit is generously directed down the food chain. I've found that organizations usually do better if the leader spends the majority of his/her time enabling others, and by also extending credit for what was accomplished, a lot of good "buy in" is also achieved with subordinates. Mike Leach had a sort of hybrid style of this. He delegated everything outside of those specific responsibilities that he wanted to do himself, and supported (to one degree or another) those to whom he had done the delegating.... everything on the D side of the ball and all special teams, for example. For those things he wanted to directly supervise, he decided the level of direct involvement that he wanted and then delegated/supported from there. He was not a full example of servant leadership, because he played favorites (not much support for special teams, support for the D only when specifically requested, continuous support for the offensive assistants), but I think he attempted to practice a modified version. He was quick to extend credit to others, but was also sometimes too quick to call them on the carpet publicly.

Reactions: HCoug
Not to shift this thread in a better/different direction....but Suudy makes a good point. A logical extension of the "get 'er done regardless of who gets credit" mindset is what is broadly today referred to as "servant leadership". The fundamental concept is that it is the leader's job to keep everyone else productive, rather than it is everyone else's job to keep the leader productive...and credit is generously directed down the food chain. I've found that organizations usually do better if the leader spends the majority of his/her time enabling others, and by also extending credit for what was accomplished, a lot of good "buy in" is also achieved with subordinates. Mike Leach had a sort of hybrid style of this. He delegated everything outside of those specific responsibilities that he wanted to do himself, and supported (to one degree or another) those to whom he had done the delegating.... everything on the D side of the ball and all special teams, for example. For those things he wanted to directly supervise, he decided the level of direct involvement that he wanted and then delegated/supported from there. He was not a full example of servant leadership, because he played favorites (not much support for special teams, support for the D only when specifically requested, continuous support for the offensive assistants), but I think he attempted to practice a modified version. He was quick to extend credit to others, but was also sometimes too quick to call them on the carpet publicly.

What Leach really did well was create a strong loyalty, value based culture. All the coaches and assistants (Defense & ST) benefited from that culture whether he was involved directly with them every day of not. That is what the new Meathead is going to have the hardest time duplicating. Especially after the first action that you take is to fire half of the staff.

That one is a BIGGIE.

Did not see that one coming at all. Word from people that should know thought he was one of their larger NIL guys.
Spurrier at Tulsa and Hollingshead at WKU immediately offered him and griffin retweeted their offers on his Twitter. Shows some of the players are pissed at what is going down. Spurrier retweeted it also.

check out tulu griffins Twitter.

Will Rogers unfollowed Kevin Barbay today and started following Arbuckle hmmmmmm

may be a mutiny going on. I’ve heard the players are pissed because they were told they were going to continue in air raid offense and were lied to.

Just as you said Ping, Arnetts blunder here in being in a hurry to fire every Leach assistant coach was many of the MSU players have relationships with those coach’s.

What Leach really did well was create a strong loyalty, value based culture. All the coaches and assistants (Defense & ST) benefited from that culture whether he was involved directly with them every day of not. That is what the new Meathead is going to have the hardest time duplicating. Especially after the first action that you take is to fire half of the staff.

Especially after the first action that you take is to fire half to ALMOST ALL STAFF SO FAST, QUICKLY, and REPLACE THEM WITH STUPIDLY BAD HIRES, COMPLETE OPPOSITE COACHES, SYSTEM then the WINNING one replaced.

Most replacement coaches EVENTUALLY replace the coaches, and do it their way, but almost all of them do not do it so fast, and do not replace with such stupid bad hires, and such completely OPPOSITE systems of the WINNING system that was in place.

That loyalty culture wasn't strong enough at WSU to keep UO from poaching numerous coaches from Leach's staff. $$$ talks.

Glad Cougar

That loyalty culture wasn't strong enough at WSU to keep UO from poaching numerous coaches from Leach's staff. $$$ talks.

Glad Cougar
agree. but if we could have come anywhere close on the compensation, I don't think they would have left. Loyalty does not cover the doubling of a salary, but it can easily handle a smaller differential.

Reactions: HCoug and PINGDUDE4
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT