ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska Home and Home

425cougfan

Hall Of Fame
Apr 23, 2011
Agreement in principle for this, according to a "reliable source" of Brand X. Apparently WSU would have to travel first in 2030, with the Cornhuskers playing in Pullman in 2031, and we know how this has tended to work out in the past. (I hope San Jose State has an open slot in 2031 for when Nebraska buys out the return trip.)

Also, who knows what's going to happen to the landscape in 10 years.

All that said, I don't hate this even though I usually am in favor of scheduling for wins at the cost of not getting as many "interesting" matchups. To me, this is what you want, other than making Nebraska travel first, if you're going to schedule a difficult road game. Have it be a H&H, make them travel first (ideally), make the buyout on the return trip substantial, and most importantly, nail that balance between marquee value of the trip and opponent while still having a shot to win. At least with what Nebraska now is and seems likely to remain, this does that. It's a program people have heard of and with name recognition that exceeds how hard the team is to beat, WSU will get some attention if it wins the game, and the game day experience should be memorable for our fans who visit.

I hope they show up. God it’s a long time from now! Would love to see a big program come to Pullman (no, I don’t count the donkeys and teetotalers).

Litmus test with Wisconsin is coming soon. I have a home and home planned with a Wisconsin alum who works with me. He was shocked when I told him the Badgers would never make it to Pullman.

Reactions: 425cougfan
Agreement in principle for this, according to a "reliable source" of Brand X. Apparently WSU would have to travel first in 2030, with the Cornhuskers playing in Pullman in 2031, and we know how this has tended to work out in the past. (I hope San Jose State has an open slot in 2031 for when Nebraska buys out the return trip.)

All that said, I don't hate this even though I usually am in favor of scheduling for wins at the cost of not getting as many "interesting" matchups. To me, this is what you want, other than making Nebraska travel first, if you're going to schedule a difficult road game. Have it be a H&H, make them travel first (ideally), make the buyout on the return trip substantial, and most importantly, nail that balance between marquee value of the trip and opponent while still having a shot to win. At least with what Nebraska now is and seems likely to remain, this does that. It's a program people have heard of and with name recognition that exceeds how hard the team is to beat, WSU will get some attention if it wins the game, and the game day experience should be memorable for our fans who visit.
We really need to set these games up with a big buyout, so that it's worth the effort when they don't show.

Unless something turns around for them, I think you overestimate how much attention WSU will get from beating them. It's been almost 20 years since they were relevant nationally, they haven't even finished in the top 25 in the last 9 years. In other words, it ain't your daddy's Nebraska.

If you get a chance to go to Lincoln for the game......go. Although the Nebraska friendliness schtick is a little overplayed, I did have an awesome time in Lincoln in 1995 when the Cougs played there. Of course, I worked for a company headquartered in Lincoln at the time so I had a few co-workers that took me out to the bars. If there is a downside.....I have to admit that I don't remember a whole lot of specifics from that night.

Reactions: HCoug
We really need to set these games up with a big buyout, so that it's worth the effort when they don't show.

Unless something turns around for them, I think you overestimate how much attention WSU will get from beating them. It's been almost 20 years since they were relevant nationally, they haven't even finished in the top 25 in the last 9 years. In other words, it ain't your daddy's Nebraska.
Yeah, I know. Just think we get more mileage out of playing Nebraska than beating, say, Purdue, even if they have had similar levels of success over a long period, and it's a better game to experience. We all know Nebraska isn't that big of a deal at this point, but the brand name carries more weight with casual fans. We'll see what it's like in 10 years, but they have some money and take football more seriously than many other places.

Reactions: M-I-Coug

In 2031, Moos who probably made this deal is possibly "gone gone" and WSU will be lucky if Nebraska agrees to play this in Ellensburg.

I guess it will be a fun series, but there is no strategic incentive for WSU to play additional power 5 teams. As it stands today, WSU already plays 9 games/season against conference teams who have more financial resources than we do. While Nebraska isn't the program they once were, playing them is like adding an additional conference opponent.

I've always felt that it makes more sense for us to cycle through the MWC and Big Sky with regard to out of league scheduling.

I guess it will be a fun series, but there is no strategic incentive for WSU to play additional power 5 teams. As it stands today, WSU already plays 9 games/season against conference teams who have more financial resources than we do. While Nebraska isn't the program they once were, playing them is like adding an additional conference opponent.

I've always felt that it makes more sense for us to cycle through the MWC and Big Sky with regard to out of league scheduling.
I here you, but an expanded playoff should mitigate some of those concerns IMO.

Reactions: PeteTheChop
Omaha's daily newspaper is reporting that the home-and-home will not occur. Moos probably wanted it, but there wasn't a lot of upside for either team.

Was in Pullman this week. Visited Cougar Country (which will open another location in the union building on campus this fall), the Creamery (Gold!), the Bookie, and the bear pen. Had a nice dinner at Gambino's in Moscow and breakfast at Old European.

Go Cougs!

Omaha's daily newspaper is reporting that the home-and-home will not occur. Moos probably wanted it, but there wasn't a lot of upside for either team.

Was in Pullman this week. Visited Cougar Country (which will open another location in the union building on campus this fall), the Creamery (Gold!), the Bookie, and the bear pen. Had a nice dinner at Gambino's in Moscow and breakfast at Old European.

Go Cougs!
Sounds like a great week and looking forward to visiting all those Palouse hot spots to include My Office and Sellas.

Reactions: WC_'sker
It sounds exciting at first, to us old timers, but agree that it doesn't make a lot of sense.
If everything stayed the same, it would be a team from the bottom half of the B10 playing a team from the bottom half of the PAC12. Not a big national matchup, and not an easy win either. Worst of both worlds.
But of course, anything could happen in 9 years....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT