ADVERTISEMENT

New allegation against Jason Gesser (This is the ONLY thread to discuss)

This won't end well.

Well, given that someone has stepped up and went public, it won't be all that surprising if more do now. This sucks because Gesser is one of my all time favorite Cougs and a guy that I would have gladly spent my whole life looking up to on his pedestal. It sucks when our heroes end up being so damned flawed.

Reactions: earldacoug
Too much smoke for this to not be true. Gesser needs to be fired now. He disgusts me. This makes me sad for what I used to think of him. But, it more makes me mad at Gesser for all the women that have lived dealing with his actions.

The Evergreen article is much more severe than the Spokesman one, makes him sound worse.
That said...she wasn’t a student or employee at the time of the incident, so this isn’t a case for OEO. It’s purely an HR issue. Seems like he wasn’t acting as an employee at the time either, since it sounds like he was going out with friends and co-workers post-event...so it’s also debatable whether it’s an HR issue or within WSU’s purview. Not that they can make that argument in the court of public opinion, but unless there’s a morals clause in his contract or there’s a criminal charge, I don’t see that they really have grounds to dismiss him.

I think he’s out anyway. WSU doesn’t want this kind of press, so there’s probably closed door, double secret discussions going on right now to negotiate his “voluntary” exit. There will be a public statement about how he’s stepping down to avoid distracting from the university’s fundraising efforts, blah, blah, blah. He’ll get a quiet severance, and since he’s no longer an employee the investigation will end. And, he’ll be done at WSU - persona non grata for any events for the foreseeable future.

Oh double crap. My last post on this subject.

First for her - no way would this young woman come forward in that kind of detail given her otherwise nice life if it wasn't pretty much true. (this is a 100% serious comment). Her remarks about the nanny time - he was a nice guy and never inappropriate. Telling the truth good and bad.

Second, for JG's family. Geezus dude!

Third, I was defending him. Shi+. In whatever fairness there is, she was able to get out of the situation and he apparently gave up without worse happening. But the aftermath - One thing if it's "I am so sorry and behaved so horribly and am a POS". But "don't tell my wife I saw you"?

End.

Reactions: kougkurt
This is going to end badly for JG. More are coming and they will be worse then what’s known now.

The Evergreen article is much more severe than the Spokesman one, makes him sound worse.
That said...she wasn’t a student or employee at the time of the incident, so this isn’t a case for OEO. It’s purely an HR issue. Seems like he wasn’t acting as an employee at the time either, since it sounds like he was going out with friends and co-workers post-event...so it’s also debatable whether it’s an HR issue or within WSU’s purview. Not that they can make that argument in the court of public opinion, but unless there’s a morals clause in his contract or there’s a criminal charge, I don’t see that they really have grounds to dismiss him.

I think he’s out anyway. WSU doesn’t want this kind of press, so there’s probably closed door, double secret discussions going on right now to negotiate his “voluntary” exit. There will be a public statement about how he’s stepping down to avoid distracting from the university’s fundraising efforts, blah, blah, blah. He’ll get a quiet severance, and since he’s no longer an employee the investigation will end. And, he’ll be done at WSU - persona non grata for any events for the foreseeable future.

Just a hunch, but I suspect the dam is about to break.

I doubt he has an employment contract. He’s making around $84,000 a year. If he’s at-will he can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, so long as it’s not based race, gender, creed, etc.

84k per year he was making since 2014

50-60k Idaho Assistant - 2011
50-60k Idaho Assistant - 2012
80-100k - Wyoming QB - 2013
84k 2014
84k 2015
84k 2016
84k 2017
84k 2018

Before that he was coaching a HS had time with the Titans and some Canadian stuff.

Not a rich man by any means, but he had some consistent work. I think he bought his house when he took the Idaho job and to my understanding still some of the nicest houses in Pullman are only 400k so he probably has a lot of his house paid off should he have to sell it and move.

Fortunately he should have some money to rely on, but when your whole life is football and things are this public....yeesh.

Gess should just start growing weed. Your rep is shot now, might as well make some money in a cash crop and no need to worry “what people think”z. Cause right now they think you suck, might as well get rich while they think you suck.

84k 2014
84k 2015
84k 2016
84k 2017
84k 2018

Before that he was coaching a HS had time with the Titans and some Canadian stuff.

Not a rich man by any means, but he had some consistent work. I think he bought his house when he took the Idaho job and to my understanding still some of the nicest houses in Pullman are only 400k so he probably has a lot of his house paid off should he have to sell it and move.

Fortunately he should have some money to rely on, but when your whole life is football and things are this public....yeesh.

Gess should just start growing weed. Your rep is shot now, might as well make some money in a cash crop and no need to worry “what people think”z. Cause right now they think you suck, might as well get rich while they think you suck.
He’s not going to have a pot to piss in after the divorce settlement

I doubt he has an employment contract. He’s making around $84,000 a year. If he’s at-will he can be fired for any reason or no reason at all, so long as it’s not based race, gender, creed, etc.
While you’re correct under Washington law, ironically when you’re a Washington state employee they pretty much have to have a reason.

84k 2014
84k 2015
84k 2016
84k 2017
84k 2018

If he’s been flat at 84K for that long, he’s most likely not a civil service employee...which makes him much easier to get rid of. But he’ll get a better severance.

84k 2014
84k 2015
84k 2016
84k 2017
84k 2018

Growing is not where the cash is at in that industry.

And I'll go further and repeat from one of the earlier threads, it goes to what we want from him. Is he someone that is there to get money for us? Period? Or is he an ambassador for WSU.

I've been told that we should look at this situation similarly to President Clinton. He was slimy but it was "internal" between the Mr. and the Mrs. Not our business. I didn't have a favorable look on Clinton, and one of the reasons I don't like Trump is the very same reason. The way they treat women. I find them very equal. I think Gesser is in a similar position, in his job. He's an ambassador to WSU. What he does outside of his home affects his work. As you say, misuse of funds isn't something on the table so it goes to behavior.

I'm still in a holding pattern on judgement but if just a few of these allegations prove to be true, I wish for him to be gone. I wouldn't let my daughter take a picture with him. I wouldn't take a picture with him. He doesn't need to be a saint, we're all human. But "sexual misconduct" is not something I take lightly. And this has all been fairly recent stuff.

There is a big difference between what one does "on company time" vs what one does on one's own time....and to whom one is doing something.

Last edited:
I hope the administration is thinking beyond just protecting its arse. I hope they are thinking about Kali and the kids. They are part of the Cougar family too. It is relatively easy to fire a douche bag employee. But firing that employee may leave innocent parties without any means of support and a difficult time ahead of them.

Don't get me wrong, Gesser needs to go. I'm hoping that they are thinking about giving Kali a job to keep her and the kids in Pullman until she can figure out what she wants to do. I can't imagine what she is going through right now, but letting her know that WSU has her and the kids' back would certainly help.

Reactions: earldacoug
I hope the administration is thinking beyond just protecting its arse. I hope they are thinking about Kali and the kids. They are part of the Cougar family too. It is relatively easy to fire a douche bag employee. But firing that employee may leave innocent parties without any means of support and a difficult time ahead of them.

Don't get me wrong, Gesser needs to go. I'm hoping that they are thinking about giving Kali a job to keep her and the kids in Pullman until she can figure out what she wants to do. I can't imagine what she is going through right now, but letting her know that WSU has her and the kids' back would certainly help.

My recollection is that she has (or at least had) a pretty good job. Pharmaceutical sales or something like that. Her and the kids stayed in Pullman when Gesser was bouncing around with assistant coach jobs.

Without rushing to judgement, she sounds credible. We have to have this play out though.

DGib - even if he has an employment contract don’t those usually have a moral turpitude clause? I know mine did but don’t know if that’s a standard thing or not.

DGib - even if he has an employment contract don’t those usually have a moral turpitude clause? I know mine did but don’t know if that’s a standard thing or not.

Maybe, maybe not. Gesser is not a head football coach making millions of dollars where you are more likely to have such a clause. I haven't seen any WSU employment contracts for rank and file employees.

Without rushing to judgement, she sounds credible. We have to have this play out though.

There are holes that can be poked in the story. She was drinking and driving. Why didn't she call or text Mrs. Gesser and say something like "Jason invited me to this alumni event, I'm so excited." Where are the Facebook, Instagram, Twitter posts? Why did they go back to her place? Presumably she knew that her roommates weren't home. Why did she drive him back to his hotel? Get this dude out of your apartment and call him a cab, or just tell him to F off and find his own way home.

Just pointing these things out. A messy situation, for lack of better term, has messy parts. Like I said, seems like the dam is about to break.

I'm with 1990 and Dgib. Too much smoke to not have a fire. And the dam is about the open up.

I get peoples perspective that this current situation that has come to light isn't work related. Wasn't on work time, wasn't at a work event. The whole Clinton analogy. But he is in front of high end donors. He IS an ambassador.

I believe this woman. And what he allegedly did is pathetic. I have a real problem with this, just based on this recent accusation. This woman didn't do this anonymously, she came out bold. While some might question why she hasn't made allegations prior, I do get it. To me, she explained it to my satisfaction. Gesser needs to go. Now.

I'm with 1990 and Dgib. Too much smoke to not have a fire. And the dam is about the open up.

I get peoples perspective that this current situation that has come to light isn't work related. Wasn't on work time, wasn't at a work event. The whole Clinton analogy. But he is in front of high end donors. He IS an ambassador.

I believe this woman. And what he allegedly did is pathetic. I have a real problem with this, just based on this recent accusation. This woman didn't do this anonymously, she came out bold. While some might question why she hasn't made allegations prior, I do get it. To me, she explained it to my satisfaction. Gesser needs to go. Now.
I don't want to do the semantics thing, but how is "in the oval office" not at work, not on work time?

Anyway, she's credible to me. I look at a lot of these accusations with a highly... skeptical would be too strong, but lets call it objective... eye, especially after the Aziz Ansari incident. However, I find everything in her story to seem very credible. Even if the details are off a bit (not saying they are, just giving skeptics the benefit of the doubt), there is enough there to warrant Gesser's ousting, post haste.

To say I'm disgusted is an understatement. I made a freaking "hang-loose" style foam finger with "Gess who 4 Heisman" on it - which is headed straight for the bin now. F you, Jason.

The Evergreen version of the story paints Gesser in a worse light.

https://dailyevergreen.com/36716/ne...ed-her-attempted-to-kiss-her-without-consent/

Gesser won't survive this, even if it was 4 years ago. He was representing WSU at the time, even though she wasn't a WSU employee she was invited by a WSU employee and her statements are pretty damaging. It's he said she said, but in the public light he's done. I'll assume WSU is at will employer and they can find a contract violation out of this to terminate him.

I guess nobody had the conversation with Gesser about not pooping where you eat. If he wanted to smash young college coeds, there were plenty at WSU for him to choose from. He didn't need to try to run game on interns and former athletes at CAF events.

I don't want to do the semantics thing, but how is "in the oval office" not at work, not on work time?

Anyway, she's credible to me. I look at a lot of these accusations with a highly... skeptical would be too strong, but lets call it objective... eye, especially after the Aziz Ansari incident. However, I find everything in her story to seem very credible. Even if the details are off a bit (not saying they are, just giving skeptics the benefit of the doubt), there is enough there to warrant Gesser's ousting, post haste.

To say I'm disgusted is an understatement. I made a freaking "hang-loose" style foam finger with "Gess who 4 Heisman" on it - which is headed straight for the bin now. F you, Jason.
You're correct on the "not on work time". I was referencing the lack-a-dazical (sp) thing of "this is just between the Mr. and the Mrs." vibe. I miss-typed. Good catch.

But yep. I'm done. And I can't wait to let him loose, so when the dam DOES break, WSU is no where near this. I just feel so bad for Jason's family. I feel so bad for these women that had to endure this asshat. I have a strong suspicion this is going to get uglier before it gets better.

I hope and pray these stories don't go any further than what this recent allegation has shed light on. Unwanted advances is enough. Please God, no more than that.

You're correct on the "not on work time". I was referencing the lack-a-dazical (sp) thing of "this is just between the Mr. and the Mrs." vibe. I miss-typed. Good catch.

But yep. I'm done. And I can't wait to let him loose, so when the dam DOES break, WSU is no where near this. I just feel so bad for Jason's family. I feel so bad for these women that had to endure this asshat. I have a strong suspicion this is going to get uglier before it gets better.

I hope and pray these stories don't go any further than what this recent allegation has shed light on. Unwanted advances is enough. Please God, no more than that.
I'd even go as far as to say that if this was a one-off, I'd almost be ok with it, as in "gtfo of my face and away from WSU, but you will probably get a second chance eventually" type circumstance. But... I'm guessing from the previous statements and now this one that he has a record of this type of behavior.

Like you I'm praying it doesn't get worse, but I'm not overly optimistic at this point.

Maybe, maybe not. Gesser is not a head football coach making millions of dollars where you are more likely to have such a clause. I haven't seen any WSU employment contracts for rank and file employees.
Most employees get an 'employment agreement'. Basically a 2-page offer letter that describes the basics - title, supervisor, starting salary, schedule - and instructions for their first day (bring ID, driving record, etc.), with a job description attached. It's signed by the appointing authority and countersigned by the employee. Technically, the people signing them often aren't authorized to sign contracts on the university's behalf, but in most ways that matter this looks like an contract to me - documenting expectations, compensation, and agreement. But they don't usually have much detail outside of the daily duties.

Most employees get an 'employment agreement'. Basically a 2-page offer letter that describes the basics - title, supervisor, starting salary, schedule - and instructions for their first day (bring ID, driving record, etc.), with a job description attached. It's signed by the appointing authority and countersigned by the employee. Technically, the people signing them often aren't authorized to sign contracts on the university's behalf, but in most ways that matter this looks like an contract to me - documenting expectations, compensation, and agreement. But they don't usually have much detail outside of the daily duties.

Administrative professional employees at WSU with more than 2 years of service get a 90 day notice for discontinuation of their appointment (if for convenience as opposed to for cause). It is also possible that JG, like coaches, has a contract, which would most likely be an annual contract, perhaps expiring on June 30 like many do. So those are the likely parameters. No reason for WSU to pursue a "for cause" dismissal as that could lead to a lawsuit. They will pay the 90 day to 9+month salary freight.

https://hrs.wsu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/APHandbook-Final-Revised-2-2018.pdf

Agree...if one is POTUS, one is always on "work time". I feel bad for his family.
Yikes...now need a new video produced pronto for the song they play at the games.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/jasongesser?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@jasongesser</a> - we’re working on a story about the most recent complaint against you filed with WSU by Alyssa Wold. Do you have a comment in response to this? Feel free to DM me. We’ll be running the story tonight in our 5, 6 and 11 pm shows.</p>&mdash; Taylor Graham (@TaylorKXLY) <a href="">September 18, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don’t think I’d want to keep a job if I was being media-hounded via social media like Twitter.

That kind of letter usually says the employment will be at-will. The letter just outlines compensation, PTO, etc.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/jasongesser?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@jasongesser</a> - we’re working on a story about the most recent complaint against you filed with WSU by Alyssa Wold. Do you have a comment in response to this? Feel free to DM me. We’ll be running the story tonight in our 5, 6 and 11 pm shows.</p>&mdash; Taylor Graham (@TaylorKXLY) <a href=" ">September 18, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don’t think I’d want to keep a job if I was being media-hounded via social media like Twitter.

He's obviously not returning phone calls or texts.

I keep turning this whole thing over and over in my head, trying to get a handle on it. Round and round and finally it occurred to me: this whole thing probably never even becomes and issue IF Gesser calls her the next day and offers a heart felt apology. "Hey, I was way out of my lane and we were both drinking and we went back to your house and I just figured, but either way I was way wrong and no words can express my shame and guilt" probably would have done the trick.

But he didn't. Why? Because he'd done it before and gotten away with it.

I'm so disgusted.

I keep turning this whole thing over and over in my head, trying to get a handle on it. Round and round and finally it occurred to me: this whole thing probably never even becomes and issue IF Gesser calls her the next day and offers a heart felt apology. "Hey, I was way out of my lane and we were both drinking and we went back to your house and I just figured, but either way I was way wrong and no words can express my shame and guilt" probably would have done the trick.

But he didn't. Why? Because he'd done it before and gotten away with it.

I'm so disgusted.

Someone posted on the Die Hard Cougs Facebook page that Jason had done the same thing to her daughter-in-law when they were both students at WSU........

This is where it's going to get hard to differentiate between the rumors and the facts. I think he needs to be gone at this point. But that doesn't mean I'm going to believe every rumor that comes out. I still need to believe in facts.

Certainly the third party allegations look bad and the newest allegation looks even worse. But... I don't think we should assume guilt or innocence at this point. Let's allow the investigations to play themselves out (there will likely be a criminal investigation if it has not commenced already and the University will do one of its own I presume). We may never know exactly what happened in all these incidents but we will have a much clearer picture after all the facts are in.

Certainly the third party allegations look bad and the newest allegation looks even worse. But... I don't think we should assume guilt or innocence at this point. Let's allow the investigations to play themselves out (there will likely be a criminal investigation if it has not commenced already and the University will do one of its own I presume). We may never know exactly what happened in all these incidents but we will have a much clearer picture after all the facts are in.

At this point, you have former co-workers complaining about his behavior, a specific victim alleging misconduct and several (albeit anonymous) posters admitting to having heard rumors of this behavior.

I mean, yea, the legal process has to play itself out, but at this point, don't you kind of just have to assume some, heck MOST of it is true?

There won't be a criminal investigation based on what's come out so far, because nobody is said to have broken any laws.

The university will make their own efforts to confirm what's been reported. They'll document any ways it appears he's abused his position or behaved inappropriately as a representative of WSU.

But it doesn't matter anymore. In his position, you have to be pretty much uniformly trustworthy. People have to like you. I'm positive there are people out there who have checkbooks and who have already decided he's a no good lecherous d-bag who they don't want near their wives or daughters, and they're not writing checks to WSU while he's there. That undermines his effectiveness as a fundraiser and prevents him from doing his job...so he's done. It's just a matter of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT