ADVERTISEMENT

New details Thread

So why didn’t the room mates call the police when all of this was going on? It’s pretty evident from the Twitter accounts at least one was awake and heard things and saw a masked individual. It’s also possible that victims could have been saved if these accounts are accurate.

So why didn’t the room mates call the police when all of this was going on? It’s pretty evident from the Twitter accounts at least one was awake and heard things and saw a masked individual. It’s also possible that victims could have been saved if these accounts are accurate.
I think it’s possible the police made up the time if the 911 call to protect the witnesses. Make it appear they slept through it.

They also had a door dash delivery minutes before the murders. Had that been 10 minutes later everyone may have been alive.

That is one question that all will keep asking, I don't get it, you hear noise, see a stranger in mask, and why no immediate call to the police. I guess at the time it would be hard to even imagine what had actually happened, still the lack of immediate action by the roommates is hard to understand.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Wow!! He might as well confess and that’s why he’s so eager to come back because he knows he’s guilty AF.

That is one question that all will keep asking, I don't get it, you hear noise, see a stranger in mask, and why no immediate call to the police. I guess at the time it would be hard to even imagine what had actually happened, still the lack of immediate action by the roommates is hard to understand.

If alcohol was involved, that might explain why the roommate was not thinking clearly and didn't call the police. That obviously weakens their testimony though.

When I was six years old, our toilet malfunctioned and water was pouring onto the floor, into the hallway and down into the air return system vent in the floor. I woke up and saw it, thought, "never saw that before" and went back to bed. Two hours later, I wake up to the sound of my dad losing his mind. I never told him that I saw it earlier. I was young enough to not really understand what was going on, but a tired person with their brain dulled by alcohol could easily struggle with good decision making.

Reactions: LeachPack
The roommate seeing a masked man, and not thinking it's out of place, and freezing is very strange.

First reaction - this feels even more like he did it just to see if he could get away with it.

Second reaction...

They had a sniff of him based on the car as early as November 25. It wasn't enough to act on, though. The phone records came in on December 23, and that put him and the car in the area and taking a circuitous route in the wee hours.

Nothing from the vehicle alone is damning. Doesn't appear that any of the cameras that saw it in the area caught a plate. The cell phone data is suspicious (without knowing how far the cell towers are from the residence, it's hard to say how suspicious. If the residence is served by the same tower as, say, the mall....who cares. It just means he drove from PUllman to Moscow 12 times. If that tower only serves a short radius around the residence...it's more meaningful. Other information in the document implies that the radius is smaller...or at least doesn't extend as far as the mall.)

What is pretty suspicious:

He shut off his phone at 2:47AM in Pullman, and reappeared at 4:48AM south of Moscow. He was then back around the residence from 9:12-9:21.

He shut it off again at 5:30 that afternoon...although I think there's a mistake in the affidavit, it refers to Johnson, ID. I suspect it should be Johnson, WA.

My read of this: He went back at 9 because he just wanted to see if anyone had discovered his handiwork yet. At some point he realized he lost the knife sheath, so he had to either find it (so he had to retrace his steps) or get rid of the knife. The knife and the clothes he was wearing are in the river in Lewiston or in culverts somewhere between Moscow-Genessee-Uniontown-Colton-Pullman.

The DNA is the big thing. And if I'm reading it right, it's not his DNA at the scene...it's his dad's. So that eliminates the "I went to a party at that house" defense, as well as the "we hooked up" defense. I guess he can still lean on the "my dad gave me his knife, and I let her borrow it" defense...but that's pretty thin.

EDIT: I'm not sure how to explain the roommate seeing a masked person, hearing "there's someone here" and (presumably) a dog barking, and being freaked out enough to lock her door...but not enough to call the police. Also not sure how to explain how he doesn't turn her into victim #5.

I think it’s possible the police made up the time if the 911 call to protect the witnesses. Make it appear they slept through it.
But why then would no police be on the scene till noon the next day. They would have had the scene tapes off before sun up if she had called right away.

I don’t think there’s any fairness in pointing fingers at victims (she will live with this horror forever she’s a victim too) btw not saying you are blaming her but plenty of other people have. Possible reasons
-she was drunk/high…not processing things
-she thought was typical partier in the house/sat night
-phone not in her room and she was petrified to open her door
-phone was in her room but she was scared frozen (fight it flight…flight)

Bizarre circumstances. Yeah I’d say he’s F’d. I hope it doesn’t go to trial because she is going to get harassed on the stand by the defense which I can’t comprehend considering what she’s been through.

Also knife sheath. Had to think they knew they would get their guy the entire time with that alone. MPD and FBI got a lot of flack but their poker faces were incredible in retrospect.

Last edited:
First reaction - this feels even more like he did it just to see if he could get away with it.

Second reaction...

They had a sniff of him based on the car as early as November 25. It wasn't enough to act on, though. The phone records came in on December 23, and that put him and the car in the area and taking a circuitous route in the wee hours.

Nothing from the vehicle alone is damning. Doesn't appear that any of the cameras that saw it in the area caught a plate. The cell phone data is suspicious (without knowing how far the cell towers are from the residence, it's hard to say how suspicious. If the residence is served by the same tower as, say, the mall....who cares. It just means he drove from PUllman to Moscow 12 times. If that tower only serves a short radius around the residence...it's more meaningful. Other information in the document implies that the radius is smaller...or at least doesn't extend as far as the mall.)

He shut off his phone at 2:47AM in Pullman, and reappeared at 4:48AM south of Moscow. He was then back around the residence from 9:12-9:21.

He shut it off again at 5:30 that afternoon...although I think there's a mistake in the affidavit, it refers to Johnson, ID. I suspect it should be Johnson, WA.

My read of this: He went back at 9 because he just wanted to see if anyone had discovered his handiwork yet. At some point he realized he lost the knife sheath, so he had to either find it (so he had to retrace his steps) or get rid of the knife. The knife and the clothes he was wearing are in the river in Lewiston or in culverts somewhere between Moscow-Genessee-Uniontown-Colton-Pullman.

The DNA is the big thing. And if I'm reading it right, it's not his DNA at the scene...it's his dad's. So that eliminates the "I went to a party at that house" defense, as well as the "we hooked up" defense. I guess he can still lean on the "my dad gave me his knife, and I let her borrow it" defense...but that's pretty thin.

EDIT: I'm not sure how to explain the roommate seeing a masked person, hearing "there's someone here" and (presumably) a dog barking, and being freaked out enough to lock her door...but not enough to call the police. Also not sure how to explain how he doesn't turn her into victim #5.
Yeah thinking the same thing about the route back. He dumped everything in a river for sure.

The other thing about the roomate not calling 911...if he heard her, she could have also been a victim. So maybe that was going through her mind. Plus trauma like that can make people just freeze up. You aren't always able to access your conscious faculties from my understanding

Second reaction...

They got the dad's DNA from the garbage in pennsylvania.

Second reaction...

The way that I read the DNA was that the DNA found in the trash excluded 99.9998% of the general population from being the suspect's father. So...DNA on knife was the killer's.....DNA in the trash was the father's. Could be wrong.

But why then would no police be on the scene till noon the next day. They would have had the scene tapes off before sun up if she had called right away.

I don’t think there’s any fairness in pointing fingers at victims (she will live with this horror forever she’s a victim too) btw not saying you are blaming her but plenty of other people have. Possible reasons
-she was drunk/high…not processing things
-she thought was typical partier in the house/sat night
-phone not in her room and she was petrified to open her door
-phone was in her room but she was scared frozen (fight it flight…flight)

Bizarre circumstances. Yeah I’d say he’s F’d. I hope it doesn’t go to trial because she is going to get harassed on the stand by the defense which I can’t comprehend considering what she’s been through.

Also knife sheath. Had to think they knew they would get their guy the entire time with that alone. MPD and FBI got a lot of flack but their poker faces were incredible in retrospect.
I read something last night that said this would be the first time genealogical DNA was used in an active case, rather than a cold case. I'm not sure that's true, and really...I'm not sure it should count. They didn't have to build a family tree and trace the suspect through his 2nd cousins. Finding his dad's DNA is a pretty quick ping on the test result.

I'd had the same thought on MPD. Obviously they had their eye on him for a month, but they couldn't give any hints and spook him. Developing the video on the car gave them enough to get phone records, phone records gave them enough to put a tail on him, and the DNA match brought it all home. There's still gaps in information to make this airtight, but the DNA is already tough to beat.

The way that I read the DNA was that the DNA found in the trash excluded 99.9998% of the general population from being the suspect's father. So...DNA on knife was the killer's.....DNA in the trash was the father's. Could be wrong.
On second reading, it appears you're right. So the "we hooked up" defense is back on the table....although that's not really very plausible either.

The other thing about the roomate not calling 911...if he heard her, she could have also been a victim. So maybe that was going through her mind. Plus trauma like that can make people just freeze up. You aren't always able to access your conscious faculties from my understanding
If she had her phone she was probably petrified to make a sound and stayed silent and still until she fell asleep at 5 or 6 in the AM behind her locked door. If she was drunk/high she could have easily slept hard for 5-6 hours.
If she didn’t have her phone she was probably petrified to open the door.
I’m not second guessing her regardless.

It was absolutely freezing that weekend (ASU game), so I can understand why, especially if doordash had just been there, she wouldn't necessarily be freaked out seeing someone wearing a mask.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Made it through the first two pages of the officer statement/warrant. Had to stop. Just too raw.

Not that I want to give lunatics any ideas, but cell phone tracking is emerging as the new "don't drop your driver's license during the bank robbery" of criminality.

I think it was Snowden who revealed the US security apparatus is illegally monitoring everything we do - literally, everything - via phone, email, Internet, etc., and AFAIK that operation is still afloat and probably more sophisticated now. Vault 7 leaks even reveal they can take over cars remotely, listen to you through your TV even when it's off, etc. There are no laws when you can use contractors like Snowden to violate them. Imagine thinking there's a Bill of Rights still

Not that I want to give lunatics any ideas, but cell phone tracking is emerging as the new "don't drop your driver's license during the bank robbery" of criminality.

I think it was Snowden who revealed the US security apparatus is illegally monitoring everything we do - literally, everything - via phone, email, Internet, etc., and AFAIK that operation is still afloat and probably more sophisticated now. Vault 7 leaks even reveal they can take over cars remotely, listen to you through your TV even when it's off, etc. There are no laws when you can use contractors like Snowden to violate them. Imagine thinking there's a Bill of Rights still
Interesting point. I'm not sure how this would be tracked exactly, but we know now that your phone also interacts at some level with every other phone you get close to. That's how the COVID exposure tracking worked - if your phone was within X distance of a phone belonging to a person who tested positive, you were notified. The same is true for every wi-fi antenna you come close to.

The big tech companies are using it every day, without warrants and without restriction. They can track you down to which stores you're looking at - not just the ones you enter, but if you even pause to look in the windows. And then they can target advertising to you.

Of course, it stops working when you turn your phone off. Although, if he was really smart he would have just left the phone at home.

But of course all is well...

Interesting point. I'm not sure how this would be tracked exactly, but we know now that your phone also interacts at some level with every other phone you get close to. That's how the COVID exposure tracking worked - if your phone was within X distance of a phone belonging to a person who tested positive, you were notified. The same is true for every wi-fi antenna you come close to.

The big tech companies are using it every day, without warrants and without restriction. They can track you down to which stores you're looking at - not just the ones you enter, but if you even pause to look in the windows. And then they can target advertising to you.

Of course, it stops working when you turn your phone off. Although, if he was really smart he would have just left the phone at home.
Don't be too sure about that!

I recall seeing a video a few years back where a TV (I think) reporter took a couple identical iphones out on an experiment. He turned one off completely, and had the other one turned on as usual. He then went about visiting a few stores, had a car drive him from place to place etc for 2-3 hours. He then compared the results afterwards and the forensic tools revealed that both phones ended up recording the exact same movements and time frames.

Seems to me that it is sorta like Alexa or Siri- how can the "assistant" EVER actually be turned off if it is expected to respond to your voice command? The fact that it can respond is proof that it isn't really asleep or turned off.

Now I don't know if it was ever shown that there was problems with the way that phone test was done, faulty procedures or what not, but I just would not trust the powers that be any time they tell us that we are not being monitored, surveilled, etc. Big brother is watching us, and I think they are watching us WAAAAY more than we all know.

Not sure what you mean. There is no 4th Amendment "expectation of privacy" when it comes to cell phones--at least not like the 4th amendment jurisprudence involving cars and private residences. Of course the the government can track you...especially if you are a murder suspect. On a another note. I recommend watching "We Own This City" on HBO MAX. Another David Simon (SEE "The Wire") gem. Many examples of illegal police work in that show!

Don't be too sure about that!

I recall seeing a video a few years back where a TV (I think) reporter took a couple identical iphones out on an experiment. He turned one off completely, and had the other one turned on as usual. He then went about visiting a few stores, had a car drive him from place to place etc for 2-3 hours. He then compared the results afterwards and the forensic tools revealed that both phones ended up recording the exact same movements and time frames.

Seems to me that it is sorta like Alexa or Siri- how can the "assistant" EVER actually be turned off if it is expected to respond to your voice command? The fact that it can respond is proof that it isn't really asleep or turned off.

Now I don't know if it was ever shown that there was problems with the way that phone test was done, faulty procedures or what not, but I just would not trust the powers that be any time they tell us that we are not being monitored, surveilled, etc. Big brother is watching us, and I think they are watching us WAAAAY more than we all know.
I remember a similar broadcast. I think it was Jeff Ross, the guy who always did the "consumer alert" sort of reports. As I recall, the thing he didn't say what that in order for it to work, there needs to be a piece of malware loaded on your phone so that it isn't really off. Looks like it is, but it still pings its location. And, of course, the malware has to get on it while it's turned on.

Amazon has admitted outright that they listen on Alexa devices - not that they had to. We had an Echo dot in our kitchen, and my wife was talking about the Bahamas. Within an hour, we were both getting ads for Bahamas resorts and flights on websites, facebook, etc. I don't know that Apple has admitted it, but Siri is the same thing.

It would be easy at this point to put a locator in every vehicle too. We've already got black boxes that report performance, speed, etc., and people have paid for location services through OnStar and similar services for years. Putting a GPS in every vehicle would be child's play at this point, and we wouldn't even know.

EDIT: In my earlier message about your phone interacting with everyone else's phone, my point was that you could - at least theoretically - crowdsource someone's location. In this case, if they downloaded the phones of the victims, they'd reveal what other phones had been in proximity. If you were dumb enough to take your phone with you, that alone could put you in the house with a definitive time stamp.

Not sure what you mean. There is no 4th Amendment "expectation of privacy" when it comes to cell phones--at least not like the 4th amendment jurisprudence involving cars and private residences. Of course the the government can track you...especially if you are a murder suspect. On a another note. I recommend watching "We Own This City" on HBO MAX. Another David Simon (SEE "The Wire") gem. Many examples of illegal police work in that show!
You're not sure what I mean? I mean that:
The US government, with assistance from major telecommunications carriers including AT&T, has engaged in massive, illegal dragnet surveillance of the domestic communications and communications records of millions of ordinary Americans since at least 2001.
News reports in December 2005 first revealed that the National Security Agency (NSA) has been intercepting Americans’ phone calls and Internet communications. Those news reports, combined with a USA Today story in May 2006 and the statements of several members of Congress, revealed that the NSA is also receiving wholesale copies of American's telephone and other communications records. All of these surveillance activities are in violation of the privacy safeguards established by Congress and the US Constitution.
We live in a post-Rule of Law society where authorities are above the law, and those who try to expose them face kidnapping/assassination attempts, await death in exile, or 3rd world prisons. And also where there are international sex-trafficking rings with no client lists where cameras go down and guards fall asleep so VIP assets can hang themselves from 4 foot bunkbeds.

Without disagreeing (or fully agreeing) with the substance, I'll just note that the EFF is full of shit on a lot of things, and the info on its site is much more about advocacy than providing information in an evenhanded, dispassionate way.

Without disagreeing (or fully agreeing) with the substance, I'll just note that the EFF is full of shit on a lot of things, and the info on its site is much more about advocacy than providing information in an evenhanded, dispassionate way.
Perhaps. But my post was a fleshout of the illegality, which depends not at all on their reputation or activities.

Except that the police didn't respond until late morning/early afternoon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT