ADVERTISEMENT

New PF Offer

7ICoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 30, 2003
After Dallas Juco event, today WSU offered 6-8 215 Merrill Holden out of Pratt CC.

Found some high school highlights and he was pretty explosive with good touch around the basket. Definitely a low post player. Would be a good compliment to what Cheatum seems to bring to the table.

I checked and could not find any stats on the guy.It appears that he was an defensive stalwart for his juco team. This guy ,perhaps,showed Kent something during the recent tournament i guess.

His stats are available and weren't very enlightening. About 5 and 5 I think. The staff was evidently impressed along with the other 10 staffs all of which offered him since the Dallas event.

If he loves playing defense and rebounding ,there is a role for him.He appears athletic and runs the court well has good hops and is the type of player every team needs . WSU has plenty of players who like to shoot.

Re: Have you seen this site?

10 offers since the Dallas Event.

This post was edited on 4/30 7:03 AM by 7ICoug

WSU Verbals

It is interesting in that in one of the writeups of his teams playoff games ,the writeup stated his team" won because of Holden;s defense on their Guards"? Not sure if that was a misprint or not. If so,he would be a welcome addition of an athletic big man who can guard a variety of players. and who concentrates on defense.

El C/Gazooks, you are an interesting character. I'm no fan of Ken Bone and was happy to see a change, but if he was recruiting a JC player averaging 5 ppg/5 rpg, you would have hammered him mercilessly. Maybe Holden will surprise and be a steal, I hope so. But until I see these guys actually play, there's nothing to suggest they are much better recruits than what we've been getting, at least based on the other offers these guys are receiving.

I am glad he's looking at some post players, but I suspect Holden won't be any more than Longrus, probably less.

Ernie gets a pass on recruiting this year from me....but next season, I'm hoping he's signing guys with better #s and who are being recruited by other high-level majors.

Glad Cougar

Well i can only speak for myself and not other posters. The stats on a player do not mean everything. If one looks at Bones' recruits one basically saw nonathletic guys who could either shoot,not be able to handle the ball and not able to do anything else. One saw nonathletic guys like Boese Hawkinson and Hunter who would be physically overwhelmed by better athletic players. If one views Kents' recruits videos they seem athletic,have skills and have hope of being able to compete with the higher ranked players from the better players on better teams in the PAC 12. I remember watching some of Bones ; recruits and say what the ..? jeez,these guys are terrible players " he is recruiting mostly D11 and D 111 players!".It seems like Bone's staff was either unable to properly evaluate players or most the better players basically ignored their overtures. I admit that i was/am concerned when he retained Bones' primary recruiter. So i am hoping that it was the latter and the better players were turned off by Bones' personality and his coaching and lack of consistency in play. I forsee a much better brand of ball from Kent and a style of play which will attract the higher ranked recruits. We shall see in a couple of years if i am right.I have been around basket in different capacities for a long time and i think that i can spot players who will be competitive on the D 1 level.

Holder was ranked # 50 as a HS PF prep. He also has a 38 inch jump reach. Some of the current coug big men would have to jump three times to achieve. that. I hope that Ernie can land him. Ernie is trying to build a team . This guy would be able to play back on full court and 3/4 zone presses and is athletic enough to roam and pick off long passes and provide good basket defense. So forget the stats, as it appears that he had an injury problem and did not play in all the games . Sign him up Ernie.

Merrill Holden is off the board...

The Pratt (Kan.) C.C. forward just informed me that he has committed to Louisiana Tech.

Well the guessing game of college basketball recruiting moves on. He would have been a big help. Perhaps Canty can play or there may be another big man available. At this time ,the pickings are getting slimmer by the day.

They moved quickly on him probably before Kent had a real chance to talk more and arrange for a visit. That is why it is important to build a relationship early on. That is why i advoacted for making a change before the season was over,

The reason i wanted this guy is that he would have provided basket defense and defensive rebounding. There is no one on the current roster,outside the foul prone Railey, capable of doing this. Perhaps he can find another juco big man capable of giving them 15-20 minutes a game doing just that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT