ADVERTISEMENT

New Turd in town

I'm feeling even better about skipping the game. While planning what we would do instead of going to Pullman, I called one of my college roommates who lives on the wet side and learned that he was recovering from prostate cancer. Going to plan on watching the game with him instead.
I hope your roomie has a successful recovery .

I'm feeling even better about skipping the game. While planning what we would do instead of going to Pullman, I called one of my college roommates who lives on the wet side and learned that he was recovering from prostate cancer. Going to plan on watching the game with him instead.
I don't have any problem with you (or anyone) missing games, but as diehard Coug fans, I can argue that these are the times when the program needs us the most.

It's easy to be a fan when ESPN gameday rolls into town, but during these uncertain COVID, Wulff, and now Rolo eras, it's all hands on deck for those of us who care enough to follow the program as closely as we do.

Last edited:
I don't have any problem with you (or anyone) missing games, but as diehard Coug fans, I can argue that these are the times when the program needs us the most.

It's easy to be a fan when ESPN gameday rolls to town, but during these uncertain COVID, Wulff, and now Rolo eras, it's all hands on deck for those of us who care enough to follow the program as closely as we do.
That's a fair argument. I've been to hell and back with this program (as many others have) and honestly, I'm at the point where I don't even enjoy CFS anymore. I barely watched last week's game (and I had to force myself to hate watch), and decided before the season I would watch, at most, from a distance. I just am not going to raise my blood pressure every weekend for a staff that isn't it. And you know what? They may end up righting the ship, but after a previous 9-40 experience (as well as other seasons/coaches), it's not enjoyable to see that potential pathway, even as an option, again. I feel for the kids, because they're the ones I should put this all aside for and support.

I'd like to see some accountability within the program, and even the university. I haven't been impressed with the current university president or AD, and clearly I'm not impressed with this head coach. And really until that changes, I'll be here mostly for the banter, and devoting my time on Saturday's to other activities.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
That's a fair argument. I've been to hell and back with this program (as many others have) and honestly, I'm at the point where I don't even enjoy CFS anymore. I barely watched last week's game (and I had to force myself to hate watch), and decided before the season I would watch, at most, from a distance. I just am not going to raise my blood pressure every weekend for a staff that isn't it. And you know what? They may end up righting the ship, but after a previous 9-40 experience (as well as other seasons/coaches), it's not enjoyable to see that potential pathway, even as an option, again. I feel for the kids, because they're the ones I should put this all aside for and support.

I'd like to see some accountability within the program, and even the university. I haven't been impressed with the current university president or AD, and clearly I'm not impressed with this head coach. And really until that changes, I'll be here mostly for the banter, and devoting my time on Saturday's to other activities.
I think I've said here before, I have similar feelings. Between the lack of a rudder, the rule changes at the NCAA level, and the last several years of seeing proof over & over that fan loyalty and attendance are basically irrelevant...it's just not that much fun anymore.

Even through 2008-11, I never really gave serious thought to not renewing my tickets. I thought about it this year, and I'll probably think even harder about it next season. My decision will be really easy if I'm not satisfied with how they handle Rolovich after October 18. If he gets special treatment, I'm done.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I think I've said here before, I have similar feelings. Between the lack of a rudder, the rule changes at the NCAA level, and the last several years of seeing proof over & over that fan loyalty and attendance are basically irrelevant...it's just not that much fun anymore.

Even through 2008-11, I never really gave serious thought to not renewing my tickets. I thought about it this year, and I'll probably think even harder about it next season. My decision will be really easy if I'm not satisfied with how they handle Rolovich after October 18. If he gets special treatment, I'm done.
Speaking of 2008-11, Wulff got special treatment because he was an alum, had a "tragic life story", and the bloggers at Brand X & Brand Y self-identified with his malignant sub-mediocrity

It's easy to be a fan when ESPN gameday rolls to town, but during these uncertain COVID, Wulff, and now Rolo eras, it's all hands on deck for those of us who care enough to follow the program as closely as we do.
It's one thing to lose while putting everything you have into winning, but for all the reasons we're familiar with you still fall short.

That's not what we saw on Saturday. That was ineptitude bordering on malfeasance. I nor anyone else owes allegiance to that.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz

🤝

It's easy to be a fan when ESPN gameday rolls into town, but during these uncertain COVID, Wulff, and now Rolo eras, it's all hands on deck for those of us who care enough to follow the program as closely as we do.

I agree that I'm a crappy fan for deciding to skip the game. There are a lot of layers in the decision of course. Between avoiding extra flights, freeing up time to visit family, getting to hang out with my college roommate for the game, the opportunity for my daughter in law to actually be in the mountains for the first time and saving about $1000...........I decided that making it to Pullman wasn't in the cards this year.

I do hope that we kick the crap out of Stanford and that I end up regretting not being there and I hope that Rolovich gets his sh!t together quickly so our fans don't give up on him completely.

This is far less true today than it was in the past and we didn't have TV money rolling in.

If this actually mattered, WSU would have fixed the donation problems they have been plagued with since football was invented. The fact that they cannot properly manage donations associated with season tickets year after year after year tells me they don't actually care.

This is far less true today than it was in the past and we didn't have TV money rolling in.

If this actually mattered, WSU would have fixed the donation problems they have been plagued with since football was invented. The fact that they cannot properly manage donations associated with season tickets year after year after year tells me they don't actually care.

WSU doesnt care. It shows you what it wants from football by its investment in it. Its all bullshit.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
Any examples anyone is familiar with of a school having someone change the institution's fortunes as a program from the inside in a lasting way? Talking about someone in a position of authority, or able to convince those in positions of authority, to change the football program and have it stick. Not talking about Boone or Knight here ... talking about a school just saying "you know what, we're going to do whatever it takes and change this program from mediocre (or a doormat) to a top-25 level football program year after year, even if it means going into debt, and it's going to last longer than one or two coaching cycles." If so, then we could get into all the reasons that isn't going to happen at WSU.

Any examples anyone is familiar with of a school having someone change the institution's fortunes as a program from the inside in a lasting way? Talking about someone in a position of authority, or able to convince those in positions of authority, to change the football program and have it stick. Not talking about Boone or Knight here ... talking about a school just saying "you know what, we're going to do whatever it takes and change this program from mediocre (or a doormat) to a top-25 level football program year after year, even if it means going into debt, and it's going to last longer than one or two coaching cycles." If so, then we could get into all the reasons that isn't going to happen at WSU.
Closest I could think of is FSU. Although I’m not sure that was as much putting resources into it as it was a phenomenal college football coach taking over and transforming the program. Certainly big resources followed. But FSU was a joke before Bowden took over. More recent examples? Coastal Carolina? Central Florida? You will hate me for this but Boise State might be a good example of this?

Speaking of 2008-11, Wulff got special treatment because he was an alum, had a "tragic life story", and the bloggers at Brand X & Brand Y self-identified with his malignant sub-mediocrity
CPW was a 'people person" as they say.

A lot of fans as well as the journalists at Brand X and Brand Y like him because of it.

WSU doesnt care. It shows you what it wants from football by its investment in it. Its all bullshit.
Hopefully you will feel much different after the ribbon cutting at the new IPF.

If Dr. Schultz gets his way, you probably will.

CPW was a 'people person" as they say.

A lot of fans as well as the journalists at Brand X and Brand Y like him because of it.
Wulff is the only 1 of the last 5 coaches Rolovich, Leach, Wulff, Doba, Price who never had a piece written about him by columnist, beat writer, blogger saying he should be let go as WSU head football coach.

In fact several of them were publicly against him being fired by Moos.

Schnellenberger, Bobby Bowden, Beamer. I'm sure there are others that went from outhouse to penthouse.

Closest I could think of is FSU. Although I’m not sure that was as much putting resources into it as it was a phenomenal college football coach taking over and transforming the program. Certainly big resources followed. But FSU was a joke before Bowden took over. More recent examples? Coastal Carolina? Central Florida? You will hate me for this but Boise State might be a good example of this?
Yeah, it's a genuine question on my part, albeit a leading one I have my views about. If we extend it to a good coach taking a previously bad or mediocre program and still building a good program, I think we have Beamer and Snyder, perhaps in addition to Bowden. They are rare, if there are any, and some pretty clear distinguishing factors even if there are some. I'm trying to distinguish between a HOF-level or otherwise excellent coach building a good program and culture that builds from there, on the one hand, and someone in power (e.g., a president or AD) at a lackluster program just trying to change it without that initiative being driven by a megadonor. I don't know that we ever have seen that, really, and even if we did, there are a lot of reasons it just isn't happening at WSU.

Not trying to argue against greater investment in the program. I'm a fan of the major sports and would like to see WSU spend heavily on athletics. Just think the levels of financial commitment required to really change the football program at WSU, in particular, are massive and would not be certain to work in any case. There is no way those could be sold by anyone in any environment to those holding the purse strings, but certainly not in the current environment of debt, financial retrenchment, and potential conference realignment.

I don't disagree with your first sentence. The problem I see is that even though some of us keep giving, keep caring, and keep showing up, there's nothing in return.

They talk about improving the gameday experience, and then do nothing.
The late kickoffs make attendance more difficult for many, or at least mean we attend without the family.
They raise almost prices every year, increase donation requirements, expand the donation sections, jack the prices of RV passes, and take away the parking passes.
They keep handling fees on tickets even when they're fully digital.
Even though they keep making it tougher and more expensive to attend, they don't create a way to make a day of it, and then show little interest in putting a better product on the field.

Seems like the only reason the AD cares about winning is so they can raise prices more. They've always got their hand out, always want more....but never give anything.

WSU could learn a thing or two from Vegas. People don't realize how much they're spending if you give a little back now & then.

I don't disagree with your first sentence. The problem I see is that even though some of us keep giving, keep caring, and keep showing up, there's nothing in return.

The late kickoffs make attendance more difficult for many, or at least mean we attend without the family.
They raise almost prices every year, increase donation requirements, expand the donation sections, jack the prices of RV passes, and take away the parking passes.
Even though they keep making it tougher and more expensive to attend, they don't create a way to make a day of it, and then show little interest in putting a better product on the field.

Seems like the only reason the AD cares about winning is so they can raise prices more. They've always got their hand out, always want more....but never give anything.

WSU could learn a thing or two from Vegas. People don't realize how much they're spending if you give a little back now & then.
No mask or Vax requirements for the RV lots, correct?
Actual ticket prices aren't that bad.

It is everything else: transportation (time & cost), parking, and lodging. Throw in cable if you happen to carry the Pac12 Network.

You forgot Florida International:) Don't hate on the Boise State example. It is what it is.

WSU asks for everything and invests nothing. It is bullshit for WSU or fans/alums to point the finger at other fans/alums and blame them for the failures of WSU football.

WSU has had 100 years to perfect their football business model. They’ve done bare bones.

Wanna see WSU football improve? Clean house. President to AD to coaching staff. Hire people that KNOW what theyre doing. Honestly, what improvements has WSU made in the last 5 years, year over year, to make the game day experience better???

Reactions: sellas
WSU asks for everything and invests nothing. It is bullshit for WSU or fans/alums to point the finger at other fans/alums and blame them for the failures of WSU football.

WSU has had 100 years to perfect their football business model. They’ve done bare bones.

Wanna see WSU football improve? Clean house. President to AD to coaching staff. Hire people that KNOW what theyre doing. Honestly, what improvements has WSU made in the last 5 years, year over year, to make the game day experience better???

Can you remind us how long you've held season tickets, and maybe how much you've donated? Ballpark numbers will work.

Can you remind us how long you've held season tickets, and maybe how much you've donated? Ballpark numbers will work.
In that realm, how many times has WSU contacted me to contribute any money since the current regime has been in place...

I'll save you asking the question: once.

In that realm, how many times has WSU contacted me to contribute any money since the current regime has been in place...

I'll save you asking the question: once.

I get semiannual calls and I don’t know how many emails. I’ll PM you the contact info for the guy assigned to me if you’d like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT