ADVERTISEMENT

New WR coach.

AWESOME!!!!

Nick Edwards was a NFL WR, has CREDIBILITY, is a GREAT RECRUITER, PRODUCED KUPER KUPP, etc, semi likely to might stay awhile at WSU. Might become a back up OC option for Arbuckle, down the road.

With Schmedding at DC, and Arbuckle at OC, and Nick Edwards at WR coach, WSU set to probably be able to get more Portal replacements and set to probably win about 6,7,8,9,10 games.

FREAKING AWESOME HIRES BY DICKERT/CHUN.

And even if get stuck with Clay 1, more year, he will either get better or get replaced by a better O line coach.

Still would be nice to get Mason Miller.

Been in the works for quite some time. Just took Filani a long time to find a job.
That’s really what it seemed like. Saw the crew together after the Arbuckle hire but well before the announcement and Filani was noticeably absent. Everyone else was celebrating and there tho. Figured he was moving on wether it was his or WSUs choice…

Reactions: justinbgocougs
Maybe he can get some Georgia players, In all seriousness ...there's only on song to ring in the new hire. Man, Ray was a handsome man....to bad he couldn't see it. Terrible joke...I know.

I really like it a lot
Based on what ? He didn’t do squat at Cal . I am just curious why he is top flight and why he is the one arebuckle wanted . I don’t know where their paths have crossed before .

I have zero problem taking a wait and see approach … or even hedge on being really hopeful .

But WR probably out of all the groups under performed ? Was it coaching ? Maybe. Maybe it was kids who didnt have the desire to get bigger and stronger . I may lean on that one more than coaching but in the end the assistant will either get credit or blame .

I will say right or wrong Dickert is decisive and looks around the country to find a fit

Based on what ? He didn’t do squat at Cal . I am just curious why he is top flight and why he is the one arebuckle wanted . I don’t know where their paths have crossed before .

I have zero problem taking a wait and see approach … or even hedge on being really hopeful .

But WR probably out of all the groups under performed ? Was it coaching ? Maybe. Maybe it was kids who didnt have the desire to get bigger and stronger . I may lean on that one more than coaching but in the end the assistant will either get credit or blame .

I will say right or wrong Dickert is decisive and looks around the country to find a fit
Nobody does squat at Cal.

Edwards is top notch. Played on EWU's national championship team. Coached both Kupp and Bourne and a bunch of others whose names I can't recall - but great receiving corp. High character guy too.

I feel this is exactly what happened. Good for Dickert

Hiring a staff and then firing them cuts both ways. It’s good to move on from guys that can’t get it done. It isn’t a ringing endorsement of your ability to identify and hire either.

Hiring a staff and then firing them cuts both ways. It’s good to move on from guys that can’t get it done. It isn’t a ringing endorsement of your ability to identify and hire either.
I think Filani got the rec from Morris. Kinda telling he didn’t hire him

As Chugspig said Morris probably recommend or hired Filani. But even if Dickert made a mistake in either hiring Filani or listening to Morris, he rightfully moved on from Filani.

And then whether it was Dickert or Arbuckle, he made a good hire of Nick Edwards because according to Nick's BIO, his BIO shows why he is a good hire, and whether it's Arbuckle or Dickert that did the hire, the buck stops with Dickert, and Dickert gets credit for both the hires, and fires, good or not.

So because of that, Dickert moving on from Filani and hiring Nick Edwards does show that Dickert is learning, improving his ability to be a good CEO HC and identify, hire, or have his staff under him identify, hire.

Last edited:
Let's hope that he has learned quickly from his mistakes on the first staff he hired and will do much better as he goes on.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I'm not sure the wr coach at UNT even makes $120k. Davis the old Offense Analyst is the UNT OC/wr coach and the old qb quality control coach is the new UNT qb coach. Many of the Air Raid guys get jobs because of friends not merit. In my opinion we have another one of those still on staff. Edwards hire is a good one. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but he is solid. His time at Cal deserves a big *. Wilcox is very defensive oriented head coach. Edwards will shine more in this more wr friendly Arbuckle offense. Plus having coached Cooper Kupp and having pro experience will have benefits on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I'm not sure the wr coach at UNT even makes $120k. Davis the old Offense Analyst is the UNT OC/wr coach and the old qb quality control coach is the new UNT qb coach. Many of the Air Raid guys get jobs because of friends not merit. In my opinion we have another one of those still on staff. Edwards hire is a good one. Wouldn't have been my first choice, but he is solid. His time at Cal deserves a big *. Wilcox is very defensive oriented head coach. Edwards will shine more in this more wr friendly Arbuckle offense. Plus having coached Cooper Kupp and having pro experience will have benefits on the recruiting trail.

That’s what I was thinking when he took that job. He must not have much $ cause the guys he hired were off field. They hadnt even coached.

That’s what I was thinking when he took that job. He must not have much $ cause the guys he hired were off field. They hadnt even coached.
I mean, they are dropping down a level so you'd expect a drop in pay for each slot. Only way Morris takes a field coach with him to UNT is if he puts one of them as a coordinator. It's the nature of the business, a coordinator dropping down a level to take a HC gig and snagging a few of the young assistants he sees potential in. It's a different story of he went from UIW to UNT. Bet he would have taken half his staff with him.
Looking over his staff, it appears green describes more than the school colors.

I mean, they are dropping down a level so you'd expect a drop in pay for each slot. Only way Morris takes a field coach with him to UNT is if he puts one of them as a coordinator. It's the nature of the business, a coordinator dropping down a level to take a HC gig and snagging a few of the young assistants he sees potential in. It's a different story of he went from UIW to UNT. Bet he would have taken half his staff with him.
Looking over his staff, it appears green describes more than the school colors.

I think the drop is steep. He took guys that hadn’t coached in at least a season. There are HS coaches in Texas with enormously better resumes than the guys he hired. Wtf is that?

It’s amazing to me how the football industry goes to such great lengths to see the best players find their way to the top but the best management and instructors get buried.

You’re the new HC at a G5 program in Texas and these are the best guys you can find? F’ing really??? These guys?

I think the drop is steep. He took guys that hadn’t coached in at least a season. There are HS coaches in Texas with enormously better resumes than the guys he hired. Wtf is that?

It’s amazing to me how the football industry goes to such great lengths to see the best players find their way to the top but the best management and instructors get buried.

You’re the new HC at a G5 program in Texas and these are the best guys you can find? F’ing really??? These guys?
part of it may have been timing. I think a lot of the conversations and decisions among assistants has already occurred when Morris was hired. Bigger part of it was that he doesn’t have much of a tree.

Another part of it is…why? If I’m an assistant in P5, I’m not going to North Texas unless it’s as HC. Even If I’m an up and comer position coach in G5 (or FCS) I’m not going to North Texas for less than a coordinator job. I’m even going to think hard about that - visibility is low, and I’m not working for a well-connected HC. It might be better to stay where I am another year.

part of it may have been timing. I think a lot of the conversations and decisions among assistants has already occurred when Morris was hired. Bigger part of it was that he doesn’t have much of a tree.

Another part of it is…why? If I’m an assistant in P5, I’m not going to North Texas unless it’s as HC. Even If I’m an up and comer position coach in G5 (or FCS) I’m not going to North Texas for less than a coordinator job. I’m even going to think hard about that - visibility is low, and I’m not working for a well-connected HC. It might be better to stay where I am another year.

Maybe he got the F outta dodge because he knew he was on the hot seat?

Earl Weaver once said Managers are hired to be fired. Same with coaches. If you stay around long enough chances you will be fired.

Byron Leftwich was a hero several years ago when Tampa won the Super Bowl. He went to zero. He was fired today.

The smart coaches...they stay one step ahead of the hangman's noose. Dennis did it for the longest time. Rode everyone's talent. At Wyoming...at WSU, and Miami...

Maybe. Really, from his perspective the big benefit I see is that he's now an FBS HC at a location with low expectations and low visibility. If he fails, big deal. If he succeeds, it's a quick step up to the big leagues.

Not so sure N. Texas has low expectations. They have gone to 8 bowls in 10 years (6 straight) lost in Conference title game and were tied for 2nd place this year in conference with Western Kentucky with a 6-2 record. It appears they fired their former coach because his 7-win ceiling was growing tired. It’s 1-Hour North of Dallas so void of talent isn’t an excuse.

Morris should be thankful Texas State didn’t hire him weeks prior. North Texas is by far a better/established program.

Last edited:
Hey...Dickert can brag...you come to WSU as an OC, you have free reign and you will get a head coachoing gig.

If you are a DC and want to move up...WSU is your spot. We hire good people, they get promotions.

Hey...Dickert can brag...you come to WSU as an OC, you have free reign and you will get a head coachoing gig.

If you are a DC and want to move up...WSU is your spot. We hire good people, they get promotions.
Spot on as usual ED

Not sure all who left did so for a "promotion" as you put it

Maybe for more $$$, but some of the places haven't won as much as WSU the past few years.

Morris will get canned in short order if the assistants he hired aren't up to snuff. It's a self correcting problem.

His staff is green, but it's a mistake to assume they aren't up to the job. It's a young staff. They are hungry. Morris needs guys who are willing to put in the time on the trail and in the film room. Anyone with a resume is going to come into that job and looking to coast. Nature of the job at UNT.

I don't understand advocating new blood in the coaching ranks and simultaneously riping Morris for not having a staff with thick resumes.

Spot on as usual ED

Maybe for more $$$, but some of the places haven't won as much as WSU the past few years.
ASU is considered a bigger gig simply because of market size....

Spot on as usual ED

Morris, Ward, and Cooper all left for situations that were better for them. Though it's harder to sell Ward and Cooper as getting such. Filani is without a home.

Morris, Ward, and Cooper all left for situations that were better for them. Though it's harder to sell Ward and Cooper as getting such. Filani is without a home.
Ward and Cooper going back to their hometown is understandable. What would stop me from ever shaking their hand is they stopped recruiting, and bailed before the bowl and signing day. Low class shit tier move. Morris was actively seeking jobs from the second he stepped in town and spent the last half of a season trying to get out. Stopped recruiting as well besides following Dickert around. That guy should never show his face in the NW again. One is understandable and lame, the other is just a punk move.

Morris will get canned in short order if the assistants he hired aren't up to snuff. It's a self correcting problem.

His staff is green, but it's a mistake to assume they aren't up to the job. It's a young staff. They are hungry. Morris needs guys who are willing to put in the time on the trail and in the film room. Anyone with a resume is going to come into that job and looking to coast. Nature of the job at UNT.

I don't understand advocating new blood in the coaching ranks and simultaneously riping Morris for not having a staff with thick resumes.

Im not advocating for new blood in the coaching ranks. Im advocating for talent moving up the ladder. There are a ridiculous amount of guys that have PROVEN themselves as coaches. This kid was a f’ing off field staffer. And he gets a G5 on field job? Gtfo. So read what I wrote, not what you want me to say so you can try and poke holes in my opinion.

Also, the idea that anyone with a resume is gonna show up to coach football in TEXAS of all places, is laughable at best. It is a grinders job. Your theory is dumb.

Young staffs get blown out. Unless they’re prodigy’s. Which his staff isn’t. Again, bad idea.

You are 0-3.

Spot on as usual ED

Ediot is f’ing dumb. They were on notice. Get better or get fired.

702 yards given up with the HCs defense. That is how you embarrass your boss, not how you get a ringing endorsement. Ward sucked and swallowed husky bawlz. He had to go.

Ediot is f’ing dumb. They were on notice. Get better or get fired.

702 yards given up with the HCs defense. That is how you embarrass your boss, not how you get a ringing endorsement. Ward sucked and swallowed husky bawlz. He had to go.
Please..they got promotions as the general public would see it...not through your lens....

Im not advocating for new blood in the coaching ranks. Im advocating for talent moving up the ladder. There are a ridiculous amount of guys that have PROVEN themselves as coaches. This kid was a f’ing off field staffer. And he gets a G5 on field job? Gtfo. So read what I wrote, not what you want me to say so you can try and poke holes in my opinion.

Also, the idea that anyone with a resume is gonna show up to coach football in TEXAS of all places, is laughable at best. It is a grinders job. Your theory is dumb.

Young staffs get blown out. Unless they’re prodigy’s. Which his staff isn’t. Again, bad idea.

You are 0-3.
I'm sorry you weren't able to impress anyone with your coaching prowess and you never moved up the ladder. But coaches like Jacob Dickert and Mike Leach are proof that coaches work their way up the ladder from the lower ranks all the time.

I'm sorry you weren't able to impress anyone with your coaching prowess and you never moved up the ladder. But coaches like Jacob Dickert and Mike Leach are proof that coaches work their way up the ladder from the lower ranks all the time.

Im sorry you are dim, eturd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT