ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Draft and Cougs

Semi Twilight Zone in Top 5 picks. All defense top 5. Bad if your looking for defense, good if your a Coug, or Hawks fan, and looking for offense.

Looks like Willis might fall to Hawks, or top OL fall to Hawks.

And Hawks can leverage #9 into #10 to #14 AND #19 to #30 for 2 1st round picks and a QB(Willis) an OL BOTH.

Willis, top QB's predicted to now slide some 1st round spots.

Announcers now say spending a Top 10 pick on even the best QB, Willis, would now be a semi waste, as can get them lower in 1st round.

Unless # 8 pick takes a OL, Hawks take either Willis or a OL at #9, unless they trade picks, pick positions, an or make a stupid or flier pick, etc.

TNT has a projection Abe to Seahawks, maybe in the second round.

Comments are can they make him a left tackle.

Good luck to all the Cougs in the draft!
That’s the highest I’ve seen him projected, but seems like he settled in mid-2nd to 3rd in most projections.

Won’t be to the Seahawks though, since they took care of that in the first round. Cracks me up that for all the talk about QBs this year, the first half is done and not one is off the board. Odds look much better that Seattle can get theirs in the 2nd round.

I think that’s better anyway, all of the available QBs were a reach at #9, and it’s smarter to shore up that OL anyway.

Top of 2nd Round at likely lowest. Doesn't mean he can't slide to later in 2nd round to top of 3rd round.
My Broncos need a RT…crossing fingers he would look good in orange and blue protecting RW.

Hawks took Miss St Air Raid OT OL Charles Cross at #9.

Willis is off the board, but if the Hawks trade up in the 2nd round, Hawks can still get a 1ower, bottom of 1st round QB in 2nd round, because of all the defense that went not only scattered throughout 1st round, but also in top 5, and because of So many WR were projected in the top 2 rounds.

Then maybe Hawks can get a good CB, top of 3rd round.

Hawks could end up having a extremely good A grade draft. Good start so far.

That’s the highest I’ve seen him projected, but seems like he settled in mid-2nd to 3rd in most projections.

Won’t be to the Seahawks though, since they took care of that in the first round. Cracks me up that for all the talk about QBs this year, the first half is done and not one is off the board. Odds look much better that Seattle can get theirs in the 2nd round.

I think that’s better anyway, all of the available QBs were a reach at #9, and it’s smarter to shore up that OL anyway.

Willis is still a possibility for 2nd round? I assumed he would at least go last pick of 1st round at ultimate extreme worst.

If Willis is still on board for 2nd Round, then the Hawks need to trade up high enough in 2nd round to almost be semi guaranteed to be able to get Willis.

CB, WR taken 3rd round. CB or WR whichever wasn't taken 3rd round taken 4th round.

5th round DE, DT, RB, LB

6th round LB or RB

7th round RB or LB

If Hawks do that and get QB Willis 2nd round, then would be A+ draft

Abe could have gone last pick of 1st round to 1st pick of 2nd round if so many defenders hadn't been take scattered thru 1st round and if top 5 hadn't been all defense, and if WR's hadn't been projected, taken as high.

But because of all that Abe could slide all the way to last pick of 3rd round.

The only reason why QB's didn't go as high as projected was the Twilight Zone of all of top 5 going defense, and because of the defense and WR that went 1st round.

The only reason why QB's didn't go as high as projected was the Twilight Zone of all of top 5 going defense, and because of the defense and WR that went 1st round.

And the thing that triggered all that was Aiden(DE was projected #1, but went #2, when Travon(projected mid 1st round, went #1, which triggered a run on defense when Oregon's DE went #4, and a CB(that Hawks were going to take #9, went #3, and WR went 7th.

That messed up, disrupted, changed all the projections.

Teams started taking players they either didn't need, or as future trade bait, or as best player available, or as part of runs, chases, which caused mid to bottom of 1st rounders to go towards top of 1st round, and top to mid rounder to either goto bottom of 1st round to top to mid 2nd round.

Everything was turned upside down, chaotically messed up, etc.

And the thing that triggered all that was Aiden(DE was projected #1, but went #2, when Travon(projected mid 1st round, went #1, which triggered a run on defense when Oregon's DE went #4, and a CB(that Hawks were going to take #9, went #3, and WR went 7th.

Teams started taking players they either didn't need, or as future trade bait, or as best player available, or as part of runs, chases, which caused mid to bottom of 1st rounders to go towards top of 1st round, and top to mid rounder to either goto bottom of 1st round to top to mid 2nd round.

But not complaining, as I liked it because Hawks will now likely get both their OL, QB, CB, etc, A+ draft, unless they make stupid decision, blow it.

The real issue is that the projections were flat wrong. Walker at #1 wasn’t that big a surprise, it was pretty widely believed that the first 2 picks would be DE, and they were. If one of them had gone OT, Houston probably goes DE, but then taking a DB wasn’t outrageous either (I never saw anyone project the Seahawks going CB at #9. Most had them going either QB or OL, or taking Thibideaux if he fell.)
The slight curveballs were the Giants taking Thibideaux and the Falcons taking London. Those weren’t huge surprises, as T was expected to be top 10 and the Falcons were widely expected to take a WR.
The reason the QBs weren’t picked in the 1st is simple. Nobody wanted them there. The teams just didn’t see things the way the analysts did. Want proof of that? The Jets, Lions, and Saints - all teams that could use a young QB - all traded up to have multiple picks in the round, and none of them picked a QB. Want more? The Seahawks have back to back 2nd round picks (8 & 9), which they could have traded to get into the mid 1st and grab their QB when nobody else picked them. They didn’t.

The teams picking ahead of the Seahawks tomorrow don’t have huge needs at QB. Willis, Ridder, Corral, and Howell are all still available, and odds are at least 2 of them (and maybe all of them) will be there at 8. I suspect Seattle will take their favorite QB then, and use the other pick on defense. There are DEs, CBs, and an LB (Nakobe Dean) that would be reasonable at that point…but these are probably going to be popular picks at the top of the round. If those spots get picked clean, Could be that they go OL again with their other pick (although I doubt it), and if they do, Abe is one of the best still available.

The real issue is that the projections were flat wrong. Walker at #1 wasn’t that big a surprise, it was pretty widely believed that the first 2 picks would be DE, and they were. If one of them had gone OT, Houston probably goes DE, but then taking a DB wasn’t outrageous either (I never saw anyone project the Seahawks going CB at #9. Most had them going either QB or OL, or taking Thibideaux if he fell.)
The slight curveballs were the Giants taking Thibideaux and the Falcons taking London. Those weren’t huge surprises, as T was expected to be top 10 and the Falcons were widely expected to take a WR.
The reason the QBs weren’t picked in the 1st is simple. Nobody wanted them there. The teams just didn’t see things the way the analysts did. Want proof of that? The Jets, Lions, and Saints - all teams that could use a young QB - all traded up to have multiple picks in the round, and none of them picked a QB. Want more? The Seahawks have back to back 2nd round picks (8 & 9), which they could have traded to get into the mid 1st and grab their QB when nobody else picked them. They didn’t.

The teams picking ahead of the Seahawks tomorrow don’t have huge needs at QB. Willis, Ridder, Corral, and Howell are all still available, and odds are at least 2 of them (and maybe all of them) will be there at 8. I suspect Seattle will take their favorite QB then, and use the other pick on defense. There are DEs, CBs, and an LB (Nakobe Dean) that would be reasonable at that point…but these are probably going to be popular picks at the top of the round. If those spots get picked clean, Could be that they go OL again with their other pick (although I doubt it), and if they do, Abe is one of the best still available.

They needed a LT. Their RT is old. Abe in the 2nd would be a smart pick. Let these young tackles get their feet under themselves in the league for a year, then bring in your rookie QB.

They needed a LT. Their RT is old. Abe in the 2nd would be a smart pick. Let these young tackles get their feet under themselves in the league for a year, then bring in your rookie QB.
Completely agree, LT was the right choice with their first pick. Cross wasn’t expected to be available at #9, so that was a gift.

There are a couple of OT options still available, and probably will be there still at 2/8. Taking one of them there is probably a slight reach, but it’s what they need.

Where it gets interesting is if Nakobe Dean (ILB) or maybe Andrew Booth (CB) are still available when the Seahawks pick. Both are need positions, and both players could have (should have?) gone in the late 1st. They won’t be available when Seattle picks again.

Given the QBs available, I don’t really think they should draft one, but I expect they will. If they’re dead set on getting another QB, the price tag on Mayfield is getting lower by the minute. I don’t think he’s an exciting option, but if the price is right…he’s a veteran and a known commodity, which is not true of any of the draft prospects. If Cleveland will take part of his salary and give him up for a 4th round pick…maybe it’s worth it. It’s probably a 1-year deal, but a 4th round pick is not a lock to make the roster, so it’s kind of a judgement call. It would temporarily address the QB need and allow you to focus on other needs.

But regardless of what happens at QB, if by some miracle Dean and Booth are both available for Seattle…those should be the picks. If one of them isn’t, then another OT. Then DE. Then best available player, regardless of position.

Completely agree, LT was the right choice with their first pick. Cross wasn’t expected to be available at #9, so that was a gift.

There are a couple of OT options still available, and probably will be there still at 2/8. Taking one of them there is probably a slight reach, but it’s what they need.

Where it gets interesting is if Nakobe Dean (ILB) or maybe Andrew Booth (CB) are still available when the Seahawks pick. Both are need positions, and both players could have (should have?) gone in the late 1st. They won’t be available when Seattle picks again.

Given the QBs available, I don’t really think they should draft one, but I expect they will. If they’re dead set on getting another QB, the price tag on Mayfield is getting lower by the minute. I don’t think he’s an exciting option, but if the price is right…he’s a veteran and a known commodity, which is not true of any of the draft prospects. If Cleveland will take part of his salary and give him up for a 4th round pick…maybe it’s worth it. It’s probably a 1-year deal, but a 4th round pick is not a lock to make the roster, so it’s kind of a judgement call. It would temporarily address the QB need and allow you to focus on other needs.

But regardless of what happens at QB, if by some miracle Dean and Booth are both available for Seattle…those should be the picks. If one of them isn’t, then another OT. Then DE. Then best available player, regardless of position.

I dont have an issue with BM coming from Cleveland. That program is a graveyard. If you can get him cheap and he can perform while you restock the roster, great.

If there was a good RB available it wouldn't surprise me if they took him.

They have so many needs right now. They have 3 picks in the top 41. They can help their team immensely this year. The best plan may be to just pick the best available player.

I dont have an issue with BM coming from Cleveland. That program is a graveyard. If you can get him cheap and he can perform while you restock the roster, great.

They have so many needs right now. They have 3 picks in the top 41. They can help their team immensely this year. The best plan may be to just pick the best available player.
I usually think that’s the best approach (combing with “trade down and stockpile”). But if you’ve got a need that’s met by one of the top players available, and it’s a reasonable value at that pick…duh, take them.

Best player available is never a bad strategy. Sometimes their are better choices, particularly if you have extreme need at a particular position, but you can't be burned by taking the best available. You can always trade him or the guy you have in the position right now at some point to get someone to help your extreme need.

The top 2 QB's won't last until Hawks next pick(guessing in the 3rd round), if the Hawks don't take one of the top 2 QB's(Preferably Willis), as one of their #8,#9 2nd round picks.

Their best going with either Willis and either OT, or Dean, or CB, or best player still available that still fits a need.

I see why u say get Dean, CB, OT, if they are still on the board, but if Hawks do that, then the Hawks risk not getting a QB, and either having to get an or not getting Mayfield, and being stuck with Geno, Drew Lock at QB(Terrible options)(if do, end up that, might as well punt the season to get another top pick)

Another option could be trading to get another high 2nd round pick to get all 3 of Willis, Dean, or CB, and the OT.

But if that doesn't materialize, then Hawks need to grab Willis in 2nd round to go with either Dean or CB, or Abe or OT

Hawks already have a serviceable ok RB.

And while best player available is good, Hawks have to, must pair that with getting Willis, a top QB, in 2nd.

Getting stuck with Geno, Drew Lock at QB, is UNACCEPTABLE.

If that happens might as well purposely punt season for top pick next draft.

Best player available is never a bad strategy. Sometimes their are better choices, particularly if you have extreme need at a particular position, but you can't be burned by taking the best available. You can always trade him or the guy you have in the position right now at some point to get someone to help your extreme need.

You’re not gonna build your entire roster thru the draft. Gotta plug some holes with FAs too. If they could land a big time RB and one of the QBs they wanted with 40 & 41 I wouldnt hate that. They can only fix so much in this years draft. Next year they have to invest in the defense tho.

You win the Super Bowl with super stars. They need more super stars. Wont happen in 1 draft.

You’re not gonna build your entire roster thru the draft. Gotta plug some holes with FAs too. If they could land a big time RB and one of the QBs they wanted with 40 & 41 I wouldnt hate that. They can only fix so much in this years draft. Next year they have to invest in the defense tho.

You win the Super Bowl with super stars. They need more super stars. Wont happen in 1 draft.
There's not a single qb worth wasting a draft pick on, IMHO. Pick them up as UDFA or grab someone through a trade.

There's not a single qb worth wasting a draft pick on, IMHO. Pick them up as UDFA or grab someone through a trade.
Willis is worth a 2nd round, 3rd round pick.

Sans him tho, your right. But might be too late to get a good enough QB, better then Geno, Drew Lock(Both semi junk(at least for now), thru a trade, and as bad as Geno, Drew Lock are, they are better then the trash QB the Hawks would get thru the Undrafted Free Agent market.

Only other possibility is a USFL, CFL, etc, QB starter.

But really because of the Hawks trading Wilson away, combined with almost all the FA QB's gone, and the trade options semi likely exhausted by now(without coming across as desperate, and trading, paying too high a price for), etc, the Hawks have semi almost pretty much semi painted themselves into a corner of needing to take Willis as either a 2nd, 3rd round pick, IF Willis is still available.

And as a 2nd, 3rd round pick, QB Willis would be one of the ultimate steals of the draft, too good to pass on, etc, if you need a QB.

I wouldn't take any QB this year with a 1st or 2nd round pick. Might think about a couple of them in the 3rd, but I don't see much point in drafting a QB if you can't protect them. Fix the OL first. Fix the D so your rookie QB doesn't have to score on every drive (because he won't). And make sure your RB is good enough to at least force the D to think about him, and not focus on the pass.

There's only one RB in this draft that I think is worth a high 2nd round pick (Breece Hall), and I expect the Texans will take him at #5 if he's still there. If they don't, he may fall to the Seahawks. Carson and Penny are both free agents after 2022. Carson is coming off an injury, he'll be 28 before the season starts, and pre-injury he was serviceable but not a great weapon. Penny looked a little better last year, but if he proves he can play, there's no guarantee he comes back as a UFA. IF Hall is available, he's worth thinking about at 2/8 or 2/9. But...there's also limited benefit to putting a rookie RB behind a crap OL. It takes some pressure off the QB, but really just means you've got 2 guys getting beat up.

Pretty sure Nakobe Dean (ILB), Andrew Booth (CB), and Breece Hall will all be off the board before 2/8. If either of the first two is there, take them. Otherwise, best available DL and best available OL. I don't think any of the teams picking ahead of them will take a QB, and Seattle should also let them fall. Honestly, if nobody in the top 10 of the 2nd round takes them, there's a decent chance a QB will be available at 3/8...and it worked out pretty well last time Seattle picked a QB in the 3rd round.

I wouldn't take any QB this year with a 1st or 2nd round pick. Might think about a couple of them in the 3rd, but I don't see much point in drafting a QB if you can't protect them. Fix the OL first. Fix the D so your rookie QB doesn't have to score on every drive (because he won't). And make sure your RB is good enough to at least force the D to think about him, and not focus on the pass.

There's only one RB in this draft that I think is worth a high 2nd round pick (Breece Hall), and I expect the Texans will take him at #5 if he's still there. If they don't, he may fall to the Seahawks. Carson and Penny are both free agents after 2022. Carson is coming off an injury, he'll be 28 before the season starts, and pre-injury he was serviceable but not a great weapon. Penny looked a little better last year, but if he proves he can play, there's no guarantee he comes back as a UFA. IF Hall is available, he's worth thinking about at 2/8 or 2/9. But...there's also limited benefit to putting a rookie RB behind a crap OL. It takes some pressure off the QB, but really just means you've got 2 guys getting beat up.

Pretty sure Nakobe Dean (ILB), Andrew Booth (CB), and Breece Hall will all be off the board before 2/8. If either of the first two is there, take them. Otherwise, best available DL and best available OL. I don't think any of the teams picking ahead of them will take a QB, and Seattle should also let them fall. Honestly, if nobody in the top 10 of the 2nd round takes them, there's a decent chance a QB will be available at 3/8...and it worked out pretty well last time Seattle picked a QB in the 3rd round.
BWags left some pretty big shoes to fill - they should have traded up and gotten someone. Guess they just expect Adams to play two positions now.

BWags left some pretty big shoes to fill - they should have traded up and gotten someone. Guess they just expect Adams to play two positions now.
Round 2 hasn’t gone anything like I would have guessed. The only thing I was right about was Breece Hall getting picked, but I didn’t think it would be the Jets who took him.
I think the Seahawks are going to have at least one 1st round defensive player fall to them. So they’ll take a QB.

Everybody needs a pass rush and DB's, as well as O line. After that, it varies a lot year to year.

Of course the Hawks pick a just barely ok RB, and some other LB over Dean when Dean is still available.

Willis and Dean is still available, so maybe Willis will slide to the Hawks in the 3rd round.

But since the Hawks blew the 2nd round by either not getting Dean, when they had the chance to get Dean, and when they could have gotten Willis, then they either had better get Willis in round 3, or be able to get a good enough QB via USFL, CFL, Trade, FA(which doesn't seem likely), and had better not get STUCK with Geno, and Drew Lock at QB.

Hawks are definitely not taking safe picks, and are taking a huge risk so far after the 1st round, in the 2nd round.

Of course the Hawks pick a just barely ok RB, and some other LB over Dean when Dean is still available.

Willis and Dean is still available, so maybe Willis will slide to the Hawks in the 3rd round.

But since the Hawks blew the 2nd round by either not getting Dean, when they had the chance to get Dean, and when they could have gotten Willis, then they either had better get Willis in round 3, or be able to get a good enough QB via USFL, CFL, Trade, FA(which doesn't seem likely), and had better not get STUCK with Geno, and Drew Lock at QB.

Hawks are definitely not taking safe picks, and are taking a huge risk so far after the 1st round, in the 2nd round.

Team I am worried about is Atlanta, if they pick before Hawks in 3rd round, as Atlanta needs, is looking for a QB too.

Hawks might need to trade up higher in 3rd round to get Willis over Atlanta. I don't think Atlanta will pass on Willis in 3rd round.

Team I am worried about is Atlanta, if they pick before Hawks in 3rd round, as Atlanta needs, is looking for a QB too.

Hawks might need to trade up higher in 3rd round to get Willis over Atlanta. I don't think Atlanta will pass on Willis in 3rd round.
Forget Willis. They should go DL/OL or maybe CB in the 3rd round. It looks like they’re trying to solidify the team first, which is sound. Play 2022 with Lock or maybe Mayfield, improve the pieces around them, and look at QB in what should be a better class in 2023.

Did Nakobe Dean kill 5 hookers or something? No idea why nobody has taken him.

Hawks might need to trade for a extra 3rd round pick to be able to get both Willis and Abe as Abe is sliding to round 3.

Forget Willis. They should go DL/OL or maybe CB in the 3rd round. It looks like they’re trying to solidify the team first, which is sound. Play 2022 with Lock or maybe Mayfield, improve the pieces around them, and look at QB in what should be a better class in 2023.

Getting stuck with Geno, Drew Lock is UNACCEPTABLE.

Did Nakobe Dean kill 5 hookers or something? No idea why nobody has taken him.
And if your not going to get Willis, you don't fail to take Dean, in 2nd round.

Hawks are blowing even your strategy in the 2nd round, etc, so far.

Only good, great pick, was their #9, Ben Cross OL selection.

And if your not going to get Willis, you don't fail to take Dean, in 2nd round.

Hawks are blowing even your strategy in the 2nd round, etc, so far.

Only good, great pick, was their #9, Ben Cross OL selection.

And Dean is not gonna fall to Hawks in 3rd round, he will be picked before then.

WTH why are, have about 5 to 7 to 10 to 13 LB's been picked over Georgia's LB Dean who was projected to go MID FIRST ROUND.

Can't believe he still hasn't been picked yet.

What's happening?, what's going on?, Why is he sliding, not getting picked?

Unbelievable yet another LB taken over Dean and Dean slides to Round 3. Is everyone superstitious, afraid that since nobody is taking Dean, that there must be something wrong with him, and so must pass on him, rinse, wash, repeat?

Only crazy thing I can think of to explain it.

Crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT