ADVERTISEMENT

No backstory on Tyler Hilinski?

Cougsocal

Hall Of Fame
Sep 5, 2010
Happy go lucky kids just don't decide one day to end their lives. I haven't read anything, anywhere that Tyler was having any problems, whatsoever. You don't expect the backstory to come out right away, but a week or two later, after reporters do their job, what was likely going in their lives is reported, Junior Seau, Tony Harris, et al. I hope at least some answers are coming. A completely out-of-the-blue suicide, if that is what happened, leaves any parent with a very uneasy feeling.

Happy go lucky kids just don't decide one day to end their lives. I haven't read anything, anywhere that Tyler was having any problems, whatsoever. You don't expect the backstory to come out right away, but a week or two later, after reporters do their job, what was likely going in their lives is reported, Junior Seau, Tony Harris, et al. I hope at least some answers are coming. A completely out-of-the-blue suicide, if that is what happened, leaves any parent with a very uneasy feeling.

I was concerned that he may have gotten himself in trouble. The police asking the public for information seems to debunk that concern.

I don’t know that we will ever know why. Maybe he just didn’t want the life he was living?

Sometimes it’s just better to let sleeping dogs lie.

If there is any scoop, I truly hope it is provided to his parents whose sole discretion it is to disseminate it. We aren’t owed anything beyond that from the authorities and the Hilinski’s don’t owe us anything whatsoever.

When a nephew did this a month into his senior year of HS, there was nothing obvious either before or after. Happy go lucky is a fair description; always sunny; everybody enjoyed being around him.

Some things we will just never know.

Reactions: Cougzz
I’m no expert, and this is not directed at Hilinski, but it seems that sometimes the happiest people on the outside, aren’t.

Envision the frog in hot water story. You can be bathed in depression and anxiety and other illnesses and come to a certain tolerance while being totally outwardly normal. Especially over long periods. And most often, as one gets worse, the more of a front you can put on to appear totally fine. Only after a long time battling and trying to some people just collapse and unfortunately that could have happened.

Sometimes it’s just better to let sleeping dogs lie.

If there is any scoop, I truly hope it is provided to his parents whose sole discretion it is to disseminate it. We aren’t owed anything beyond that from the authorities and the Hilinski’s don’t owe us anything whatsoever.

Gotta agree with Observer here.

Unless there’s some compelling reason, as in something specific that would be advantageous in preventing others from following the same path, what possible need could WE have to know the intimate details of Tyler’s situation? The “backstory” as it was put.

Like it or not, sometimes acts that seem senseless are just that.

And, agree with that sentiment or not, it would be totally up to his family to decide whether to share something like that publicly, if there was some “backstory”. We have no inherent right to know......

There’s never a good reason, and depression can make the smallest things seem insurmountable, along with the fact that some people are able to hide their pain from everyone.

Having more personal information about him isn’t going to make it any more or less tragic.

The backstory appears to be that Tyler struggled with some sort of known mental illness. Never once did you see the family place blame on anything Pullman. They admittedly love the coaches (see CF.C article with Ryan). The one thing that could have been done would have been to make sure no WSU athlete brings a gun to Pullman. Especially a sensationalized weapon like and AR-15. The easy/convenient access to a weapon like that was too tempting for Tyler.... not that he wouldn’t have found another way at some point. Anyway, Some things are left private.

The one thing that could have been done would have been to make sure no WSU athlete brings a gun to Pullman. Especially a sensationalized weapon like and AR-15. The easy/convenient access to a weapon like that was too tempting for Tyler.... not that he wouldn’t have found another way.

I’m sorry, but that it absolutely ridiculous. Good grief.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT