ADVERTISEMENT

No more Civil War for UO vs. OSU

What will they call it now? The Douglas Fir Bowl? Hemp Bowl?

No more Civil War

Glad Cougar
The Homelessville Trophy? Is the politically correct? It is if all proceeds go to help fight homelessness.
200.gif

What will they call it now? The Douglas Fir Bowl? Hemp Bowl?

No more Civil War

Glad Cougar
Geezus F Christ.

Stop the planet, I want off.

Good thing there were never any other civil wars before or since the US's. Not to mention the literal meaning of the term "civil war" perfectly describes in state rivalries.

Wonder how many ducks and beavers ever thought to themselves "I wonder who's the yanks and who's the rebs?" Oh I know - ZERO.

Dennis Dixon can GFH.

So stupid.

SJW bowl.
#inyourfeelings bowl
Cancel everything bowl
BetterScrubYourTwitterTimeline Bowl

Last edited:
This is stupid. I mean if anything, they should be celebrating The Civil War. It was, after all, a major factor in abolishing slavery.
I'm with Bleed...stop the world, I want off!

This is stupid. I mean if anything, they should be celebrating The Civil War. It was, after all, a major factor in abolishing slavery.
I'm with Bleed...stop the world, I want off!

79....I know you have more in you than that. Not being a dick, I believe you are resilient. I know some of this is over the top, but I let stuff go over the top. Is your life or my life markedly changed if they rename the Civil War? Imagine this is the worse you and I go through (that is not economy related, as I do know your situation....and I hope that has changed or is about to change) this is the pendulum swinging. It will come back to center and go the other way at some point.

Could you imagine not being able to play in the civil war because of the color of ones skin. I just think there are those who had real strife, and my worry is about renaming maple syrup. You know if corporate america, say Amazon bout the syrup, renamed Amazon Maple Syrup no one would care. No different than renaming the bowl games or stadiums.

In terms of pendulum shifts, take the lending business. I have three items that would have prevented the mortgage meltdown. Instead, Dodd Frank had young kids who don't know the inner workings of the business write legislation and what they did was make the big banks bigger, not smaller. There are three items of regulation I would have enacted in 2003 that would have prevented the mortgage crisis. You think both extreme sides of the political map could agree to these changes and not the 2000 pages Dodd frank Bill?

1) Make all originators licensed. That way bad actors could be followed and tracked.
2) Eliminate the prepayment penalty, the sub prime mortgages would never have been written
3) Have something similar to the FDA-when a new mortgage product comes out the FDA approves it, subject to criteria. For example, a 10% down no income verifier. Yes, we will approve that type of loan but it has to be done with the banks own money and cannot sell it.

Those three things would have prevented the carnage of 8-11. Now until Covid things are going back to the wild wild west.

The point is these things will even out.

79....I know you have more in you than that. Not being a dick, I believe you are resilient. I know some of this is over the top, but I let stuff go over the top. Is your life or my life markedly changed if they rename the Civil War? Imagine this is the worse you and I go through (that is not economy related, as I do know your situation....and I hope that has changed or is about to change) this is the pendulum swinging. It will come back to center and go the other way at some point.

Could you imagine not being able to play in the civil war because of the color of ones skin. I just think there are those who had real strife, and my worry is about renaming maple syrup. You know if corporate america, say Amazon bout the syrup, renamed Amazon Maple Syrup no one would care. No different than renaming the bowl games or stadiums.

In terms of pendulum shifts, take the lending business. I have three items that would have prevented the mortgage meltdown. Instead, Dodd Frank had young kids who don't know the inner workings of the business write legislation and what they did was make the big banks bigger, not smaller. There are three items of regulation I would have enacted in 2003 that would have prevented the mortgage crisis. You think both extreme sides of the political map could agree to these changes and not the 2000 pages Dodd frank Bill?

1) Make all originators licensed. That way bad actors could be followed and tracked.
2) Eliminate the prepayment penalty, the sub prime mortgages would never have been written
3) Have something similar to the FDA-when a new mortgage product comes out the FDA approves it, subject to criteria. For example, a 10% down no income verifier. Yes, we will approve that type of loan but it has to be done with the banks own money and cannot sell it.

Those three things would have prevented the carnage of 8-11. Now until Covid things are going back to the wild wild west.

It's not just renaming this football game. The relative insignificance of the name of this game is part of why this is being discussed (in addition to the obvious topical interest). It's just the latest of many, many things, including mobs going around tearing down statues of people, figures, or objects that have no objectionable history. E.g., they tore down the "Progress" figure in front of the Wisconsin state capitol building. Someone like you likely would say "why care if they tear down some random statue in Wisconsin," but that's the point ... things are deteriorating down into all kinds of absurd acts, with the absurdity being part of why it's important to point out.

The pendulum may swing back, and I appreciate that perspective more than you think. I know we had the late 60s and 70s, then had the Reagan Revolution, etc. (I'm not sure it will swing back anytime soon again due to demographics and some other stuff, but that's another topic.) I do know, however, that they won't be going around reinstalling statues or renaming this game the Civil War in the future. The pendulum goes back and forth but with it extending further into "one side" of its metaphorical swing radius each time, and rarely if ever extending anywhere into the other side.

Reactions: Mitchf350
It's not just renaming this football game. The relative insignificance of the name of this game is part of why this is being discussed (in addition to the obvious topical interest). It's just the latest of many, many things, including mobs going around tearing down statues of people, figures, or objects that have no objectionable history. E.g., they tore down the "Progress" figure in front of the Wisconsin state capitol building. Someone like you likely would say "why care if they tear down some random statue in Wisconsin," but that's the point ... things are deteriorating down into all kinds of absurd acts, with the absurdity being part of why it's important to point out.

The pendulum may swing back, and I appreciate that perspective more than you think. I know we had the late 60s and 70s, then had the Reagan Revolution, etc. (I'm not sure it will swing back anytime soon again due to demographics and some other stuff, but that's another topic.) I do know, however, that they won't be going around reinstalling statues or renaming this game the Civil War in the future. The pendulum goes back and forth but with it extending further into "one side" of its metaphorical swing radius each time, and rarely if ever extending anywhere into the other side.

A realtor assn in Texas has banned the use of the word "master" in reference to bedrooms and bathrooms.

Its only going to get worse because people like the mayor of Oakland are blindly enabling hypersensitivity by claiming that "context doesn't matter." The f it doesn't, lady. The so-called "nooses" that were found in the park were part of an exercise circuit, PUT THERE BY A BLACK MAN. Doesn't matter, she is soldiering on for her cause.

Just my opinion, Ed. They haven't taken THAT away....yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT