ADVERTISEMENT

Now that Leach got his extension....

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Anyone care to speculate on DC candidates? Seems like this has gotten less attention that usual, and fewer names have been tossed out.

Granted, Leach has generally been less than predictable with some of his picks, but who's out there that looks good?

I think we need someone who favors something a little less conventional than the typical 3-4/4-3. Our current lack of quality depth at all positions on D makes this a good time to transition...since we don't really have the staff to run anything well. We haven't recruited the 3-4 particularly well, and I've got little confidence we can manage any D that requires a real NG. Seems like we've had more success with landing and developing LBs and safeties than we have with DL and CBs, so I wonder about going to something heavier on those positions, that also rely less on having a dominant NG.

Anyone care to speculate on DC candidates? Seems like this has gotten less attention that usual, and fewer names have been tossed out.

Granted, Leach has generally been less than predictable with some of his picks, but who's out there that looks good?

I think we need someone who favors something a little less conventional than the typical 3-4/4-3. Our current lack of quality depth at all positions on D makes this a good time to transition...since we don't really have the staff to run anything well. We haven't recruited the 3-4 particularly well, and I've got little confidence we can manage any D that requires a real NG. Seems like we've had more success with landing and developing LBs and safeties than we have with DL and CBs, so I wonder about going to something heavier on those positions, that also rely less on having a dominant NG.
Who knows.

Claeys came out of left field, and tbh I would bet most thought we couldn't have landed a guy with his resume/ pedigree.

I think they have the interior DT they want committed. I dont see the defense as a true 34 with large linemen that eat blocks. Theyre looking for speed off the ball, sprint thru the gaps, cause blocking issues for the OL and make TFLs. If youre gonna go with lighter guys, you MUST have either speed to make a play or hands to get off a block and make a play. Neither wont work.

The kid from Indiana will step on the field prob as the strongest player in the program. As long as he can run, he may press for PT from day 1.

This may have been covered in one of the other threads...

What about Coach Joe? Is he simply not DC material? Always seemed like a good motivator to me. There are the Xs and Os of course to worry about.

I’m not someone who can form a good opinion on the guy as a DC but I know I always liked him and was pissed when Whoregon came after him.

What about Coach Joe? Is he simply not DC material? Always seemed like a good motivator to me. There are the Xs and Os of course to worry about.

I’m not someone who can form a good opinion on the guy as a DC but I know I always liked him and was pissed when Whoregon came after him.

I think if Leach was gonna hire Joe as DC he prob wouldve done it by now. He has been passed over a couple times now.

FWIW, unless the coach is really talented, no BCS school should be hiring HCs or coordinators that have no experience in those roles. The jobs pay a ridiculous sum. Hiring someone with 0 experience? They’d better be awesome.

Hard to say. It could go in a number of directions. Everything from restructuring the whole staff to promoting Bellantoni or McBath and switching the empty slot to the offensive side.

Ok, lets cut the sh!t on Coach Joe.

Joe is valuable because there is a perceived advantage to recruiting Polys with him on the roster, which is probably true.

Is it enough to justify giving him a coordinator position?

Joe is valuable because there is a perceived advantage to recruiting Polys with him on the roster, which is probably true.

Joe is an above average recruiter and good motivator. Coming from Samoa, having a nice run in the NFL. and being just and all around good guy makes him someone you definitely want as a part of any program. IMO, no this is not enough to justify giving him a WSU DC title.

It was just a question, qualified with this statement:

“I’m not someone who can form a good opinion on the guy as a DC but I know I always liked him and was pissed when Whoregon came after him.”​

Have we hit a point on this board where you can’t ask a question without being an expert on something? I value a lot of opinions on this board. Including yours. But WTF?

It was just a question, qualified with this statement:

“I’m not someone who can form a good opinion on the guy as a DC but I know I always liked him and was pissed when Whoregon came after him.”​

Have we hit a point on this board where you can’t ask a question without being an expert on something? I value a lot of opinions on this board. Including yours. But WTF?
I wasn't attacking you. Sorry you read it that way, I'll try to get my point across better in the future.

Peace.

I'm throwing out 3 names. None are from P5 schools, but at the moment I'm having trouble finding anyone at a P5 schools that I think has a solid track record and is likely to come for what we'd offer. I mean, if Brent Venables decided he wanted to try the west coast for 1/3 the money, I'd happily take him. But let's be realistic...that's not going to happen.

David Reeves - DC at UAB. #5 total defense, #6 against the pass, #5 against the run. #4 on 3rd down. ONly #55 in the red zone at 81.6%, but they only allowed 38 attempts, and of the 31 scores surrendered they only gave up FGs 8 times. By comparison, we allowed 36 scores in 43 attempts, and 7 FGs. #16 pass efficiency defense. His only P5 experience is as a GA at Alabama, and he looks like a southeast guy - never worked west of Bama or north of Tennessee.

Clayton White - DC/DBs at Western Kentucky. Had them at #30 total defense, #34 against the pass #41 against the run this season. #8 on 3rd down conversions, #16 in the red zone. #42 in pass efficiency defense. Looks like their D actually took a step backward this year from the last 2, but they still held up well in a conference that throws a lot. Has seen decent D everywhere he's worked, also has experience with special teams. Not sure what he does in recruiting. His P5 experience is 3 years as DBs coach at Stanford, 2007-09.

Bobby Jay - DC/DBs at San Diego. This guy, I'd say bring him as a DB coach and give someone else the DC tag. USD is #44 against the pass in FCS, but only give up 210 yards per game and 54% completions, and they're #31 in pass efficiency defense. Plus they pulled down 19 INTs in 334 attempts, against 16 TDs. He's got no P5 (or FBS) experience, but might be worth a look as position coach. Plus, he's been USD's director of recruiting for 4 years, so probably has some useful knowledge of SoCal.

Just a couple thoughts, not really lobbying for anyone and I'm sure Leach has someone in mind. But may as well speculate on this as anything else.

I'm throwing out 3 names. None are from P5 schools, but at the moment I'm having trouble finding anyone at a P5 schools that I think has a solid track record and is likely to come for what we'd offer. I mean, if Brent Venables decided he wanted to try the west coast for 1/3 the money, I'd happily take him. But let's be realistic...that's not going to happen.

David Reeves - DC at UAB. #5 total defense, #6 against the pass, #5 against the run. #4 on 3rd down. ONly #55 in the red zone at 81.6%, but they only allowed 38 attempts, and of the 31 scores surrendered they only gave up FGs 8 times. By comparison, we allowed 36 scores in 43 attempts, and 7 FGs. #16 pass efficiency defense. His only P5 experience is as a GA at Alabama, and he looks like a southeast guy - never worked west of Bama or north of Tennessee.

Clayton White - DC/DBs at Western Kentucky. Had them at #30 total defense, #34 against the pass #41 against the run this season. #8 on 3rd down conversions, #16 in the red zone. #42 in pass efficiency defense. Looks like their D actually took a step backward this year from the last 2, but they still held up well in a conference that throws a lot. Has seen decent D everywhere he's worked, also has experience with special teams. Not sure what he does in recruiting. His P5 experience is 3 years as DBs coach at Stanford, 2007-09.

Bobby Jay - DC/DBs at San Diego. This guy, I'd say bring him as a DB coach and give someone else the DC tag. USD is #44 against the pass in FCS, but only give up 210 yards per game and 54% completions, and they're #31 in pass efficiency defense. Plus they pulled down 19 INTs in 334 attempts, against 16 TDs. He's got no P5 (or FBS) experience, but might be worth a look as position coach. Plus, he's been USD's director of recruiting for 4 years, so probably has some useful knowledge of SoCal.

Just a couple thoughts, not really lobbying for anyone and I'm sure Leach has someone in mind. But may as well speculate on this as anything else.
Bobby Jay would be a good position hire and recruiter....maybe.
A crazy hire as DC would be the head coach at North Dakota State...Matt Enz. He'd go from $300,000 to 700-800.

After reading about him I really like Clayton White. Was a secondary coach before become a DC and had really good results with his players. Outside of coaching defensive backs at Stanford he was the co-special teams coordinator and safety coach at NC State from 2013-16 and he played a couple of years on the NFL.

Thanks for those well researched suggestions—all were intriguing in their own ways.

want a homework assignment?:D How about researching guys with a track record of recruiting players that Get drafted into the NFL? My personal preference would be a recruiting guru over an Xs and Os genius.

I would grab either the DL, LB, Secondary coaches from Utah or Cal.

As long as 1 of them had GOOD experience as a DC, before they became a DL, LB, Secondary, DC, Co DC at Utah, Cal.

And even without that, they would be tempting, as Utah, Cal defenses are SO GOOD.

And if not Utah, Cal, then something similar to Utah, Cal

Reactions: royhobbs2
I would grab either the DL, LB, Secondary coaches from Utah or Cal.

As long as 1 of them had GOOD experience as a DC, before they became a DL, LB, Secondary, DC, Co DC at Utah, Cal.

And even without that, they would be tempting, as Utah, Cal defenses are SO GOOD.

And if not Utah, Cal, then something similar to Utah, Cal
The only one of those coaches who has any DC experience at all is Peter Sirmon, who spent a year as DC at Mississippi state and another at Louisville. Most of the rest of both staffs are relatively young.

Most of Utah’s staff is home-grown - lots of former Utah players who’ve spent their entire coaching career there. Actually, most of the Utah defensive staff has been there a long time - that continuity probably has as much to do with their success as anything.

Both the current Cal and Utah DCs coach positions also, but I nixed both on the assumption that neither would see much incentive to go from DC there to DC in Pullman.

I haven’t looked at how successful Sirmon was, but a couple single season stints as DC don’t seem like enough to elevate him above Leavitt or another candidate with more track record.

The only one of those coaches who has any DC experience at all is Peter Sirmon, who spent a year as DC at Mississippi state and another at Louisville. Most of the rest of both staffs are relatively young.

Most of Utah’s staff is home-grown - lots of former Utah players who’ve spent their entire coaching career there. Actually, most of the Utah defensive staff has been there a long time - that continuity probably has as much to do with their success as anything.

Both the current Cal and Utah DCs coach positions also, but I nixed both on the assumption that neither would see much incentive to go from DC there to DC in Pullman.

I haven’t looked at how successful Sirmon was, but a couple single season stints as DC don’t seem like enough to elevate him above Leavitt or another candidate with more track record.

Sirmon's Track Record, Defense, at Cal, speaks for itself, is more then good enough to make a good DC hire at DC, especially IF his 2 different 1 year stints as DC, were ok.

Leavitt is a good candidate, but he is looking, wanting to be a HC, which could make him not as good a fit at WSU, and other places.

Sirmon while not as good as Leavitt, is still a good, great candidate for the DC at WSU, and way the heck better then Akey, Ball, Sears, who were past WSU DC's.

If Sirmon can bring Cal's tough defense to WSU, and I think he could, then he is worth taking a chance on him.

Sirmon is also a great recruiter, knows the Pac 12 offenses, and can show Leach, how Cal shut down the Air Raid.

Not all DC's need to have a lot of DC experience to be a good P5, Pac 12 DC.

Sirmon is a good candidate, and GETTABLE.

While he Sirmon is not as good as other candidates, those other candidates are probably not gettable, or as gettable as Sirmon.

Sirmon is also a better candidate then coach Joe, and your 3 candidates from those 3 mid major, group of 5, FCS, non power 5 colleges.

Yes they had success as DC's at those LOWER level colleges. But doing it there is EASIER then doing it at the Power 5 level.

And Sirmon has had 2 years of P5 DC experience.

And Sirmon helping Cal to be one of the better Defenses in the nation, as either a Co DC, or position coach, and as a understudy to Cal's DC, and Understudy of WILCOX another defensive STUD, has MORE value then your candidates, and Coach Joe, and other candidates.

Also one does not have to have a lot of DC experience to be a good DC.

Also some successful P5 program is going to shortly, eventually offer Sirmon a chance at DC, in the very short term, eventually in the short term, where he will probably be successful.

If WSU does not get Sirmon, they would probably never get him, because by the time WSU got Sirmon, if WSU passed up this chance, Sirmon would probably already be at a better college as either a DC or HC, or would ask for too much money, and or would be a too hot a commodity, and would go with some other college over WSU.

WSU has a chance to get in on the ground floor with Sirmon.

Is there a risk? Yes. But the potential Payoff is worth the risk.

Very thoughtful post 95!

Sirmon's Track Record, Defense, at Cal, speaks for itself, is more then good enough to make a good DC hire at DC, especially IF his 2 different 1 year stints as DC, were ok.

Leavitt is a good candidate, but he is looking, wanting to be a HC, which could make him not as good a fit at WSU, and other places.

Sirmon while not as good as Leavitt, is still a good, great candidate for the DC at WSU, and way the heck better then Akey, Ball, Sears, who were past WSU DC's.

If Sirmon can bring Cal's tough defense to WSU, and I think he could, then he is worth taking a chance on him.

Sirmon is also a great recruiter, knows the Pac 12 offenses, and can show Leach, how Cal shut down the Air Raid.

Not all DC's need to have a lot of DC experience to be a good P5, Pac 12 DC.

Sirmon is a good candidate, and GETTABLE.

While he Sirmon is not as good as other candidates, those other candidates are probably not gettable, or as gettable as Sirmon.

Sirmon is also a better candidate then coach Joe, and your 3 candidates from those 3 mid major, group of 5, FCS, non power 5 colleges.

Yes they had success as DC's at those LOWER level colleges. But doing it there is EASIER then doing it at the Power 5 level.

And Sirmon has had 2 years of P5 DC experience.

And Sirmon helping Cal to be one of the better Defenses in the nation, as either a Co DC, or position coach, and as a understudy to Cal's DC, and Understudy of WILCOX another defensive STUD, has MORE value then your candidates, and Coach Joe, and other candidates.

Also one does not have to have a lot of DC experience to be a good DC.

Also some successful P5 program is going to shortly, eventually offer Sirmon a chance at DC, in the very short term, eventually in the short term, where he will probably be successful.

If WSU does not get Sirmon, they would probably never get him, because by the time WSU got Sirmon, if WSU passed up this chance, Sirmon would probably already be at a better college as either a DC or HC, or would ask for too much money, and or would be a too hot a commodity, and would go with some other college over WSU.

WSU has a chance to get in on the ground floor with Sirmon.

Is there a risk? Yes. But the potential Payoff is worth the risk.
I used your criteria:
“As long as 1 of them had GOOD experience as a DC, before they became a DL, LB, Secondary, DC, Co DC at Utah, Cal.”

Not my fault if you change your criteria. My only fault is responding to your drivel in the first place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT