ADVERTISEMENT

Now we've got...

Fab5Coug

Hall Of Fame
Nov 10, 2007
A bunch of twitter'ers going in on WSU for not recruiting more in state players, and that's why we never win the AC.

Uso Olive, who apparently was a Wulff commit whose offer was yanked by Leach is claiming WSU needs to "build a brand" by taking more under-recruited, "scrappy" in state kids.

I don't get it. WSU offers all the same kids UW does. They offered Weaver, Lemieux, Throckmorton, Rypien, blah blah blah. Tryon was a commit till UW came in last minute.

Problem is WSU has been sold as a fallback option in this state for decades. High school coaches aren't pushing kids to go to WSU. WSU can put all kinds of effort into recruiting in state kids only to have UW poach them at the last minute.

Yet Leach is the bad guy for going down to CA or Fla to get kids.

A bunch of twitter'ers going in on WSU for not recruiting more in state players, and that's why we never win the AC.

Uso Olive, who apparently was a Wulff commit whose offer was yanked by Leach is claiming WSU needs to "build a brand" by taking more under-recruited, "scrappy" in state kids.

I don't get it. WSU offers all the same kids UW does. They offered Weaver, Lemieux, Throckmorton, Rypien, blah blah blah. Tryon was a commit till UW came in last minute.

Problem is WSU has been sold as a fallback option in this state for decades. High school coaches aren't pushing kids to go to WSU. WSU can put all kinds of effort into recruiting in state kids only to have UW poach them at the last minute.

Wulff was recruiting a guy that transferred from Wyoming (when that program was terrible) to CWU.

And I guess he doesn’t realize that Dillard was one of those scrappy Washington guys....

Washington only produces so many players, California alone has 300 three star players, many under-ranked and under-recruited. I hope he stays focused on California.

WIAA & the HS coaches are helping kill HS football in this state as much as concussions.

State football championships for 1st time in 40 years will be held outdoors.

In the wake of any disaster, thousands of stupid "solutions" emerge. We have seen 100 new guaranteed formulas proposed for success, and they all contradict one another.

I'll trust the pros, but also do what I can as a fan to turn the heat up for this staff to approach this game like they're coaching for their jobs and not picking lottery numbers.

I think much of this is driven by "coaches" (i.e., guys who train high school kids in an attempt to get them scholarships) trying to get their borderline recruits, like Olive, offers to WSU. They want their trainees who otherwise have to go to Wyoming or Eastern to get the P-12 ride. I had a dialog on Twitter with one of these guys. As if having a roster of Washington recruits who aren't as talented as the FL, TX, or CA kids Leach is bringing in is going to help WSU beat UW.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
I think much of this is driven by "coaches" (i.e., guys who train high school kids in an attempt to get them scholarships) trying to get their borderline recruits, like Olive, offers to WSU. They want their trainees who otherwise have to go to Wyoming or Eastern to get the P-12 ride. I had a dialog on Twitter with one of these guys. As if having a roster of Washington recruits who aren't as talented as the FL, TX, or CA kids Leach is bringing in is going to help WSU beat UW.

A bunch of marginal D 1 guys that are mad the “fallback school” decided to go in a different direction.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
You offer the kids you like. If they sign, great. If they dont, you cannot sacrifice your talent for local kids.

Attitude reflects leadership. If you want a team of guys that go nutzo for the rivalry game, it helps if the signaling from the top goes nutzo for the rivalry game.

There has always been a bunch of California kids at WSU that wanna beat the uw.

The solution is not more Washington kids. It's not even more kids who care. You can care all you want and you still won’t be able to throw to guys who are double covered because they’re getting pressure with numbers down. Even if everyone involved cares a lot.

UW lives in our head rent free. Oregon lives in UW’s head rent free. The winner of these games just goes to work with a formula that either does or doesn’t work, but the outcome is not contingent on hometowns or caring.

Wulff was recruiting a guy that transferred from Wyoming (when that program was terrible) to CWU.

And I guess he doesn’t realize that Dillard was one of those scrappy Washington guys....
As was Cole Madison. And Beresford is going to be a stud tackle is from Woodinville and I believe held a Stanford offer among a bunch of others.

A lot of the blue, red chip kids in this state with the few exceptions like Derting was, are either lifelong UW fans or want to leave the state.

I don’t think there’s any lack of effort recruiting WA, but you also need be realistic and spend time wisely. There’s way more talent in Fl, Tx, and Ca. A lot of the under the radar kids in those states are better than the highly rated Wa kids.

As was Cole Madison. And Beresford is going to be a stud tackle is from Woodinville and I believe held a Stanford offer among a bunch of others.

A lot of the blue, red chip kids in this state with the few exceptions like Derting was, are either lifelong UW fans or want to leave the state.

I don’t think there’s any lack of effort recruiting WA, but you also need be realistic and spend time wisely. There’s way more talent in Fl, Tx, and Ca. A lot of the under the radar kids in those states are better than the highly rated Wa kids.

Yeah, to that last point, it's not even as simple as saying that there are 3-star kids in WA who would have gone to WSU but go elsewhere, whereas there are 3-star players in TX, FL, and CA, among other places, that WSU is recruiting.

First, there are various things that go into a player being a fit for what the coaches want.

Second, 3-star recruits encompass a big range. Ask Mik about it. Better yet, don't. But it's true.

Third, even if a given pair of 3-star recruits are similar in terms of their "level" within the 3-star range, I'd still take one from FL, TX, or CA over the WA recruit every time if we're just talking about ability and the quality of coaching/competition they've been exposed to. That doesn't mean all kids from these other states are better than WA kids ... I feel pretty good about the probabilities, though.

Reactions: chipdouglas

F in state coaches who won't support our program. Those kids can sit on the bench else where or be a big sky all Star, because obviously both of those prospects are better than shit-hole wsu.

F em. F their mediocre kids. We've shown we can and do succeed without them

Last edited:
You make one trip thru the state. If the kid is interested, pursue him. If not, move on.

What you cant do is take kids that arent good enough. You cant send a message that you are the school that takes lesser talent than uw or Oregon.

WSU needs to be a California and Hawaii team. Go to Texas and Florida for specific needs. Otherwise fill your roster with West Coast kids. Who cares where they come from.

Reactions: random soul
You make one trip thru the state. If the kid is interested, pursue him. If not, move on.

What you cant do is take kids that arent good enough. You cant send a message that you are the school that takes lesser talent than uw or Oregon.

WSU needs to be a California and Hawaii team. Go to Texas and Florida for specific needs. Otherwise fill your roster with West Coast kids. Who cares where they come from.
One thing I’d be interested to see is what sort of recruiting efforts might pay off looking at Australia or NZ rugby kids. I know completely different beast but we saw basketball bring in some great players during Bennett. There is some beasts in those rugby programs, big, tough, fast dudes, Elements we need on the front seven big time. We see punters and kickers come over and I know there’s a couple of guys that have gone NFL (Gotsis in Denver and that guy on the Niners a few years ago). We already make the islands a priority, let’s get creative!

F in state coaches who won't support our program. Those kids can sit on the bench else where or be a big sky all Star, because obviously both of those prospects are better than shit-hole wsu.

F em. F their mediocre kids. We've shown we can and do succeed without them

The instate coaches are one issue - the other are Coug parents sending their own kids to far off lands to impress their friends at Manito or Overlake.

One thing I’d be interested to see is what sort of recruiting efforts might pay off looking at Australia or NZ rugby kids. I know completely different beast but we saw basketball bring in some great players during Bennett. There is some beasts in those rugby programs, big, tough, fast dudes, Elements we need on the front seven big time. We see punters and kickers come over and I know there’s a couple of guys that have gone NFL (Gotsis in Denver and that guy on the Niners a few years ago). We already make the islands a priority, let’s get creative!

Linebackers. The rugby kids know how to tackle. Bruising running backs. Im a huge MB fan. Not gonna deny that 5’11” 240 would be fun to watch too.

Reactions: random soul
There's not enough talent in Washington and Oregon combined to worry about the High School coaches bad mouthing you. Any legit Blue chipper from around here is probably gonna take a blue blood offer 90% of the time and there aren't enough sure thing D1 kids to waste the time unless they respond to your initial offering.

Reactions: royhobbs2
Weird to see him checking out Fresno St when he turned down LSU earlier. I don't see the Mountain West as a concern, though I'm concerned if P5 schools come calling.

I am more concerned about Cal. That is where the QB on his HS team is headed (after decommitting from Fresno)

True...should have clarified. I am more concerned about Cal, especially if a couple of the RB's who have verbaled to Cal get poached in the next 2 weeks.

A little birdie told me King appears headed to Fresno St. Though this was before Tedford stepped down. My guess is that grades are an issue here, as kids don't typically choose to drop down from P5 to G5 unless there is a grades risk. Or my source could be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT