ADVERTISEMENT

Of the 6 quarterbacks offered and haven't given a verbal

froropmkr72

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2004
Who's your favorite or top 3? McIvor, Baldwin, Yellen, Clark, Piferi or Cruz? Who do we have a legit shot at?

I will not be surprised if we don't get a top flight QB this class. Cam Cooper looks legit and with Neville and Bledsoe on the roster, we have a lot of young QB's. We'll get someone, but we might struggle getting a top guy this time. Piferi is my best guess on who we land. I can't picture Baldwin running the Air Raid. Leach is more of a pocket passer kind of guy. From the offer list, unless Piferi is more concerned about education than football, we are the best offer he's got. Princeton and Yale are obviously the choice if he's more focused on the "brand" of his diploma.

Here's my deal. I like how most of them throw. It seems CML has offered because they all seem to have pretty good fundamentals. No weird ass throwing mechanics or side arm or whatever. So with that said, my next thing I looked at was the size. Last thing I want is a 6'0" 165lb kid taking a hit. We have an Oline that should be able to take care of him (a little projecting down the road, there) so mobility is just an extra, for me. Our RB's are fantastic for years down the road, right now. So for me, I'm looking at 3 kids:
Joey Yellen

Jacob Clark

Paul Piferi

All of them are over 210lb, they are 6'3", 6'4", 6'5", respectively.

McIvor has the pedigree. I wouldn't sneeze at him but I'm focusing on the above.

So to your last question, that's a hard one because it goes to the schools that have offered but have since taken a QB. So I don't really know so it's a dart game for me. Watching the hudl's, it seems Yellen is playing against much faster opponents. Looking at his offers, he has Brown and Yale, so he's no ding-a-ling. I think we have Yellen, if he had to pick today. The only pac schools that have offered him is ASU and OSU.

BUT... the one thing about Clark is it appears they run a style of Air Raid, so he'll be familiar, he'll be more comfortable, etc. But he's being offered by TCU, Minnesota, Syracuse and and Vandy, among others.

It appears Piferi has a good arm, he can dart them, or lob them. But it appears from his hudl that his opponents weren't exactly up to snuff. Blown coverage all over the place. So...

I would have preferred Bachmeier but oh well. Long story to say, Yellen. I think we have Yellen.

Here's my deal. I like how most of them throw. It seems CML has offered because they all seem to have pretty good fundamentals. No weird ass throwing mechanics or side arm or whatever. So with that said, my next thing I looked at was the size. Last thing I want is a 6'0" 165lb kid taking a hit. We have an Oline that should be able to take care of him (a little projecting down the road, there) so mobility is just an extra, for me. Our RB's are fantastic for years down the road, right now. So for me, I'm looking at 3 kids:
Joey Yellen

Jacob Clark

Paul Piferi

McIvor has the pedigree. I wouldn't sneeze at him but I'm focusing on the above.

So to your last question, that's a hard one because it goes to the schools that have offered but have since taken a QB. So I don't really know so it's a dart game for me. Watching the hudl's, it seems Yellen is playing against much faster opponents. Looking at his offers, he has Brown and Yale, so he's no ding-a-ling. I think we have Yellen, if he had to pick today. The only pac schools that have offered him is ASU and OSU.

BUT... the one thing about Clark is it appears they run a style of Air Raid, so he'll be familiar, he'll be more comfortable, etc. But he's being offered by TCU, Minnesota, Syracuse and and Vandy, among others.

It appears Piferi has a good arm, he can dart them, or lob them. But it appears from his hudl that his opponents weren't exactly up to snuff. Blown coverage all over the place. So...

I would have preferred Bachmeier but oh well. Long story to say, Yellen. I think we have Yellen.
Gunner Cruz' film looks good as well. I'd be really happy with Clark, Cruz, Yellen ...McIvor and Baldwin being long shots in terms of offers and/or geography.

Has anyone watched film of a QB they might want to look at this year? I'll offer Coltin Clack as getting little attention from larger schools. http://www.hudl.com/profile/8815050/Coltin-Clack

Last edited:
Gunner Cruz' film looks good as well. I'd be really happy with Clark, Cruz, Yellen ...McIvor and Baldwin being long shots in terms of offers and/or geography.

Has anyone watched film of a QB they might want to look at this year?
Of the ones that we appear to have a chance at?

Geography seems to be something this kid looks at but: Brian Maurer

also Kedon Slovis in intriguing. Wonder why we aren't offering him?

This guy seems to be running for his life all the time, but moves well in the pocket and can throw accurately on the run. Might be another steal for someone like Nevada. Josh Calvin from Bellflower. UCLA is watching him.

Joey Yellen

Jacob Clark

Paul Piferi

I think 95 is on the right track. I will add that CML does not consider mobility to be as important as most HC's. The recruits probably know that, too. Most of the guys that 95 does not mention look pretty mobile. For that reason, I suspect that the least mobile of the guys that he mentions will decide to take the scholie and get it done before somebody else grabs it.

Of course we might make several more offers before somebody chooses to take the prize. I am guessing that from here on out we will probably be offering guys who look like they will have a 20 year old playing weight of at least 225. Specific height won't be a big deal and mobility will matter even less than height.

The lefty Ryan Stevens film looks good. He was at the UA camp with Ryan Hillinski.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT