ADVERTISEMENT

Off Topic: What is ABSN nursing program that I could get at GCU in a 16 month program?

mikalalas

Hall Of Fame
Feb 26, 2007
Hi all, GCU in Phoenix, Arizona, that I am moving to in about 6 to 9 to 12 to 15 months, to be closer to daughter, is offering a 16 month program degree, in ABSN nursing.

What does ABSN mean? I'm guessing it means Bachelor's of Science in nursing, except that doesn't account for the letter A, in ABSN. Maybe it means Associate Bachelor's Science Nursing. I'm guessing it's some sort of part associate 2 year degree, part certificate, part bachelor's, all combined together in nursing, LPN, RN, as part of a FASTRACK program that can be completed in a 16 month time frame. But that's just my rough guess. Anybody here know, can help me find out?

GCU, is Grand Canyon University, the same Christian College, that Royce Woolridge transfered from WSU to.

Anybody know anything about GCU, other then what I said above, etc?

I was a NAC, and can't be a NAC, because of past stroke, because can't do the NAC lifting. If the ABSN related jobs, are like a LPN, RN, then maybe I can find a job like that, where I wouldn't have to lift patients, like I use to do as a NAC.

And if I can save up enough money, an or get financial aid, it would only take me 16 months.

What do any of you think?

Hi all, GCU in Phoenix, Arizona, that I am moving to in about 6 to 9 to 12 to 15 months, to be closer to daughter, is offering a 16 month program degree, in ABSN nursing.

What does ABSN mean? I'm guessing it means Bachelor's of Science in nursing, except that doesn't account for the letter A, in ABSN. Maybe it means Associate Bachelor's Science Nursing. I'm guessing it's some sort of part associate 2 year degree, part certificate, part bachelor's, all combined together in nursing, LPN, RN, as part of a FASTRACK program that can be completed in a 16 month time frame. But that's just my rough guess. Anybody here know, can help me find out?

GCU, is Grand Canyon University, the same Christian College, that Royce Woolridge transfered from WSU to.

Anybody know anything about GCU, other then what I said above, etc?

I was a NAC, and can't be a NAC, because of past stroke, because can't do the NAC lifting. If the ABSN related jobs, are like a LPN, RN, then maybe I can find a job like that, where I wouldn't have to lift patients, like I use to do as a NAC.

And if I can save up enough money, an or get financial aid, it would only take me 16 months.

What do any of you think?

I can't find out what it is until Feb 9th, when GCU does a informational conference about it(Free Registration(conference is online webinar)

GCU was on our daughter's short list. We visited GCU a couple of years ago. Toured the campus, bookstore, stadium, etc.

As you know, they are very popular with a huge enrollment with tons of students, both on campus and online. I think it's becuase their tuition is less than almost everybody, and it does not matter if you're out of state.

Their campus felt more like a industrial park, then a college environment.

We weren't in love with the atmosphere, but that's not to say GCU isn't a good school.

If cost is a priority, then GCU might be a good fit. You will know when you step foot on campus.

They did play the COUGS in basketball a few years ago, in Pullman.

Like Liberty, I believe their is no on campus chapel, but meet weekly in the GCU Arena.

If you haven't already, there are a few websites that feature online reviews that are transparent and critical. Good idea to read what fellow students say about GCU.

Last edited:
I can see it now:

“Doctor, the patient is a 10,20,30,40 years old male or female who was in a car, truck, train, plane crash. He has a few, some, several, a lot of broken bones and lost 4,5,6,7 maximum 11 fingers. She’s still bleeding a little, some, a lot, and is partially, semi, mostly unconscious.”

Got some more info I found out. A person I know told me that I would have to take 60 credit hours, which I could finish in 1 year, before I could do the ABSN program in 16 months, after that.

So fastest possible time to complete the program is about 2 AND 1/4 to 1/3 years.

Also I can do the 60 hours prerequisite online. Then after that are labs, etc, that can only be done offline.

So I could spend a year online, kick out the 60 credit hours, then move to Arizona to both be closer to daughter, and go-to GCU in person, then go-to GCU in person for 16 months to get ABSN.

Wonder how much it is, or if can get financial aid.

Good thing they have free webinar, to answer questions that can go-to.

Reactions: 79COUG
Got some more info I found out. A person I know told me that I would have to take 60 credit hours, which I could finish in 1 year, before I could do the ABSN program in 16 months, after that.

So fastest possible time to complete the program is about 2 AND 1/4 to 1/3 years.

Also I can do the 60 hours prerequisite online. Then after that are labs, etc, that can only be done offline.

So I could spend a year online, kick out the 60 credit hours, then move to Arizona to both be closer to daughter, and go-to GCU in person, then go-to GCU in person for 16 months to get ABSN.

Wonder how much it is, or if can get financial aid.

Good thing they have free webinar, to answer questions that can go-to.
Someone like you that is a black, gay, transgender, female, Democratic victim of a hate crime should be eligible for about half a million from the feds and Inslee.

:)

Good luck with that plan, Mik.......

• Haha
Reactions: justinbgocougs
Someone like you that is a black, gay, transgender, female, Democratic victim of a hate crime should be eligible for about half a million from the feds and Inslee.

:)

Good luck with that plan, Mik.......

Umm, I'm not black, gay, transgender, female, etc, so I wouldn't qualify under those things, as I am a evil white male, as you know from giving me ride to Apple cup.

I am however semi disabled, low income, so that would qualify me, but GCU is in ARIZONA, a red to purple state, and so don't give out as much help, and GCU is a PRIVATE, Christian College, that harder to get state, federal, financial aid, and GCU only has academic scholarships, athletic scholarships, and LIMITED FEDERAL Pell grants, Loans.

Now I do probably qualify for Pell Grant, Student loans, etc, but those are more limited, harder to get at GCU, then at Public colleges like ASU, WSU, etc.

At least that's what I was told by the official GCU representative.

Umm, I'm not black, gay, transgender, female, etc, so I wouldn't qualify under those things, as I am a evil white male, as you know from giving me ride to Apple cup.

I am however semi disabled, low income, so that would qualify me, but GCU is in ARIZONA, a red to purple state, and so don't give out as much help, and GCU is a PRIVATE, Christian College, that harder to get state, federal, financial aid, and GCU only has academic scholarships, athletic scholarships, and LIMITED FEDERAL Pell grants, Loans.

Now I do probably qualify for Pell Grant, Student loans, etc, but those are more limited, harder to get at GCU, then at Public colleges like ASU, WSU, etc.

At least that's what I was told by the official GCU representative.
Right, all that was just a smartass comment, nothing personal intended. I figured you would know that, sorry if you didn't.

And I was just serious when I wished you well with your plan about attending GCU and getting that degree. It isn't easy to do when you are older and long removed from the college scene. I know-I finished my MBA years after leaving WSU, by going to night school and weekends while working full time plus overtime. It takes dedication and discipline to do that.

I have heard many times about how there are many scholarships that are not awarded because people are not aware of them and thus have no applicants. I believe there used to be books listing some of the awards and with a guide on how to track them down. More than likely time spent tracking down such things on your own can pay greater dividends than just relying on the help from the GCU student aid office. A suggestion is to see if any organization that your parents worked for have any such scholarships or grants. Many places have awards that are limited to employee/retiree children. My father worked for Shell Oil at their Anacortes refinery, and the Royal Dutch/Shell company awarded several scholarships each year to employee's kids based primarily on the National Merit Scholarship Test. I was fortunate to receive that scholarship, which was for $500/year for four years (provided you kept up your grades). Might not sound like much, but Tuition was only $216 per semester freshman year and something like $264/semester as a senior. A big help!

Now, I have a suggestion for you, Mik, and I hope you are not offended by it. It is just a well meaning suggestion, not an attack on you. You have a VERY unusual style of writing/communicating and it may not be received well by those folks evaluating your application. I think it would greatly benefit you to have someone do some proofreading/editing before you submit it. My wife was a school teacher and I always had her review my MBA papers, and her help was invaluable in fine tuning my work. Keep an open mind on their suggestions and it can greatly help you. Just my $.02 worth.

Right, all that was just a smartass comment, nothing personal intended. I figured you would know that, sorry if you didn't.

And I was just serious when I wished you well with your plan about attending GCU and getting that degree. It isn't easy to do when you are older and long removed from the college scene. I know-I finished my MBA years after leaving WSU, by going to night school and weekends while working full time plus overtime. It takes dedication and discipline to do that.

I have heard many times about how there are many scholarships that are not awarded because people are not aware of them and thus have no applicants. I believe there used to be books listing some of the awards and with a guide on how to track them down. More than likely time spent tracking down such things on your own can pay greater dividends than just relying on the help from the GCU student aid office. A suggestion is to see if any organization that your parents worked for have any such scholarships or grants. Many places have awards that are limited to employee/retiree children. My father worked for Shell Oil at their Anacortes refinery, and the Royal Dutch/Shell company awarded several scholarships each year to employee's kids based primarily on the National Merit Scholarship Test. I was fortunate to receive that scholarship, which was for $500/year for four years (provided you kept up your grades). Might not sound like much, but Tuition was only $216 per semester freshman year and something like $264/semester as a senior. A big help!

Now, I have a suggestion for you, Mik, and I hope you are not offended by it. It is just a well meaning suggestion, not an attack on you. You have a VERY unusual style of writing/communicating and it may not be received well by those folks evaluating your application. I think it would greatly benefit you to have someone do some proofreading/editing before you submit it. My wife was a school teacher and I always had her review my MBA papers, and her help was invaluable in fine tuning my work. Keep an open mind on their suggestions and it can greatly help you. Just my $.02 worth.

How I write normally is just my CASUAL writing. How I write on resumes job applications, business propositions, etc, and when I was a Newspaper Reporter, Editor, proofreader, At Big Bend, Spokane Falls, Community College Newspapers, was, is different then my casual writing.

That said, my Journalism instructor, noted, told me that I was too wordy, that I was better at editing, proofreading, editing other's writing then my own writing, and that because of that, having my writing edited, proofread was a good thing.

Last edited:
How I write normally is just my CASUAL writing. How I write on resumes job applications, business propositions, etc, and when I was a Newspaper Reporter, Editor, proofreader, was, is different then my casual writing.

That said, my Journalism instructor, noted, told me that I was too wordy, that I was better at editing, proofreading, editing other's writing then my own writing, and that because of that, having my writing edited, proofread was a good thing.
No one on this board would agree with that. 🤣

How I write normally is just my CASUAL writing. How I write on resumes job applications, business propositions, etc, and when I was a Newspaper Reporter, Editor, proofreader, was, is different then my casual writing.

That is exactly what my wife found in my writing-often wrote sentences that were too long. Glad I never do that here. LOL!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT