ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive “woes”…

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Does ward have things to clean up ? Yes. Does he throw side arm too much ? Yes .

Morris is way more creative than Leach. Does that mean gbe offensive is better? Nope. But around the goal like he make it easier for his offense to get touch downs

the problem is along the oline and run blocking . Every year osu has five no names and they have a productive running game . Their oline coach needs to come back to Pullman

We need to quit pretending Rosie, Bledsoe Leaf and Gesser didn’t have their problem first real year of starting D1.. They had growing pains .

Their right tackle was suppose to be Beresford . Transferred to Boise, rg was supposed to Fafita now playing Right tackle . Kingston was their left guard and he moved out to LT. Brian Greene former starter transferred to mich state .

That is the problem . Out of all the calls the coordinators have made , the first down call to Watson against Oregon and Brian Ward on the 4th down call against Oregon where he had Thornton split out on. The back …. Aside from that I can’t say the game calling or management is a problem .

Reactions: cougcowboy
I love what I'm seeing from Cam Ward. Dude has moxie. The INTs yesterday were absolutely brutal, but what a benefit to have them happen in a great conference win. Perfect coaching opportunity.

If Ward comes back next season, and the only reason he won't is if he declares for the draft, who in the P12 has a better QB coming back than we do? And we miss USC & Utah next season.

Reactions: cougcowboy
Nope. Ive made my thoughts on him crystal clear. Go back and read.
No... I know what you've said. I was wondering if you were changing.

We've had some great ones. I still cry about Yarno passing away.

Offensive Line coaching might be the toughest of any job out there. Between guys needing quick feet, balance, a different body strength, "smarts", and enjoying pissing people off... trying help all that grow...

I toss it up Between QB, Middle LB, and OL

I want to re-test McGuire and see where things are at in 2 to 3 more years before I condemn

No... I know what you've said. I was wondering if you were changing.

We've had some great ones. I still cry about Yarno passing away.

Offensive Line coaching might be the toughest of any job out there. Between guys needing quick feet, balance, a different body strength, "smarts", and enjoying pissing people off... trying help all that grow...

I toss it up Between QB, Middle LB, and OL

I want to re-test McGuire and see where things are at in 2 to 3 more years before I condemn

Why would you burn up 2-3 years of a players eligibility? That’s horse shit.

Why would you burn up 2-3 years of a players eligibility? That’s horse shit.
I get it. I also wonder if coaches are put into a position where if they have a chance to "prove it" that they are in a job formatted to get it when it's there.

I hate the NCAA and how they determine eligibility and using it up. No f-ing way can a player play 1 series in 4 quarters for 4 games be the same as someone who goes 100% for a full season. No way is special teams the same as regular downs.

That problem should be kids (young men) getting 5 years no questions asked. Bonus year on medical. No eligibility after turning 24.

Enough guys leave, quit, transfer that spots are there. Scholarships don't even matter as much now with $$$ raining from alumni business

I get it. I also wonder if coaches are put into a position where if they have a chance to "prove it" that they are in a job formatted to get it when it's there.

I hate the NCAA and how they determine eligibility and using it up. No f-ing way can a player play 1 series in 4 quarters for 4 games be the same as someone who goes 100% for a full season. No way is special teams the same as regular downs.

That problem should be kids (young men) getting 5 years no questions asked. Bonus year on medical. No eligibility after turning 24.

Enough guys leave, quit, transfer that spots are there. Scholarships don't even matter as much now with $$$ raining from alumni business

P5 football, imo, isn’t for proving it. Not with the stakes so high and the tens of millions of dollars involved. Wanna prove yourself as a coach? D3, d2, FCS. Work your way up proving yourself. The only thing McGuire has proved is that he sucks.

I have zero issues with 4 years to play and a redshirt year. Kids make their own choices. If they wanna play all 4 years it may not be at the P5 level. If they choose a school where they sit that’s on them. Ultimately the most valuable currency in college football is playing time. It is amazing to me how kids stockpile themselves in programs all chasing the same starting job. The only thing that benefits is the school and coaches. If the goal is the NFL, the goal should be acquiring as much game film as possible. Which means 4 years of playing. Not 2-3 years of clapping on the sideline and maybe 1-2 years of playing.

I have no issue with NIL. I have issue with zero parameters around it.

Totally agree with you on picking schools. How many times do people need to look at the NFL rosters over the last 10-20 years and see the "small school" kids?

Back on McGuire...

He's been at Texas Tech, East Carolina, fUSC, and WSU. I can't ignore that.

Of course, one of my favorite coaches of all time is Tyrone Willingham. Anyone who can take fuw to 0 & 12 should be in the WSU Cougar Hall of Fame. He was Stanford, Notre Dame, and fuw.

Maybe McGuire does suck. I want more time on the current realm to judge.

Totally agree with you on picking schools. How many times do people need to look at the NFL rosters over the last 10-20 years and see the "small school" kids?

Back on McGuire...

Of course, one of my favorite coaches of all time is Tyrone Willingham. Anyone who can take fuw to 0 & 12 should be in the WSU Cougar Hall of Fame. He was Stanford, Notre Dame, and fuw.

I suspect the fact that McGuire keeps getting hired at Power 5 schools means something.

Obviously better than having connections to Biggs or Paul Wulff.
I don't know, Jim Milhalchik knows Paul Wulff...and I think he would be an upgrade. People are promoted in this sport all the time because of who they know, not what they do.

I don't know, Jim Milhalchik knows Paul Wulff...and I think he would be an upgrade. People are promoted in this sport all the time because of who they know, not what they do.
I'm not sure why McGuire, who was hired like 9 months ago is being criticized for an OL that is duct taped together with two guards playing tackle, and a walk-on manning a starting spot.

Carry on.

Back on McGuire...

Would you be willing to spend 3 years of your 4 years of eligibility to find out?

Would you be willing to spend 3 years of your 4 years of eligibility to find out?
You are an nil guy . Here is where I would spend my money and it isn’t at qb or receiver.

I would pay for a LT, I would probably pay for a right tackle if I had the money. I would get a really good DT and a DE that gets to the qb .

You are an nil guy . Here is where I would spend my money and it isn’t at qb or receiver.

I would pay for a LT, I would probably pay for a right tackle if I had the money. I would get a really good DT and a DE that gets to the qb .

If you have a limited NIL budget you pay for impact players at DNA positions. You don’t get 1 LT, you get 2 and play one at RT. You pay for a QB. That’s it on offense. There are zillions of guys that wanna run and catch the ball. Why pay for them?

You pay for the largest human you can find to play DT. You pay for an edge rusher. You pay for corners. There are zillions of linebackers and safeties. Don’t pay for them.

If you’re paying for coaches…. You pay for OL and QB on offense and DL and CB on defense. The rest can be jags. Jag = just a guy.

Reactions: LeachPack
Why limit ourselves to large humans at DT? I heard that Shrek was looking for a job....?

;);)

If you have a limited NIL budget you pay for impact players at DNA positions. You don’t get 1 LT, you get 2 and play one at RT. You pay for a QB. That’s it on offense. There are zillions of guys that wanna run and catch the ball. Why pay for them?

You pay for the largest human you can find to play DT. You pay for an edge rusher. You pay for corners. There are zillions of linebackers and safeties. Don’t pay for them.

If you’re paying for coaches…. You pay for OL and QB on offense and DL and CB on defense. The rest can be jags. Jag = just a guy.
Bullsheeeaight.

If you actually give a rats ass about football you get alumni together and come up with plan. A business conglomerate. Find 100 Cougar businesses willing to put $2500 a year into "advertising".

Plan $50,000 a year for QB.
$25,000 a year for 2 Oline. ($50)
$25,000 a year for 2 Dline. ($50)
$25,000 a year for 2 linebackers ($50)

Get real proven D1 guys from D1 schools (like Nevada)

You then watch the Big Sky and buy juniors and seniors cheap for depth.

I can guarantee with the remaining $50 in my plan we'd land 2 or 3 "contributors".

And for the record... I am / will be stepping up to the plate.

Bullsheeeaight.

If you actually give a rats ass about football you get alumni together and come up with plan. A business conglomerate. Find 100 Cougar businesses willing to put $2500 a year into "advertising".

Plan $50,000 a year for QB.
$25,000 a year for 2 Oline. ($50)
$25,000 a year for 2 Dline. ($50)
$25,000 a year for 2 linebackers ($50)

Get real proven D1 guys from D1 schools (like Nevada)

You then watch the Big Sky and buy juniors and seniors cheap for depth.

I can guarantee with the remaining $50 in my plan we'd land 2 or 3 "contributors".

And for the record... I am / will be stepping up to the plate.

What is bullshit?

The bullshit is how quick and easy WSU could move to the Top of the Pac-12 with about $250,000 a year.

And that's chump change in REAL D1.

The bullshit is how quick and easy WSU could move to the Top of the Pac-12 with about $250,000 a year.

And that's chump change in REAL D1.

I haven’t seen any numbers being thrown around from deals with other schools so I couldn’t tell you if $250,000 was good or not.

I dunno what the future of WSU recruiting is going to be. There is zero value in signing HS kids only to watch them leave for more $. There is value in taking all portal kids as they have used their free transfer.

Can WSU do both? Would one or the other be better? Tough to be a development school when you develop them off to another program. Tough to win a league title with kids that either couldn’t play for other P5 teams or kids making the transition from G5 and FCS to P5. Never truly know what you’re getting.

I stand by my belief that the NCAA should cap rosters at 70. Make the value be in HAVING a roster spot at ANY power 5 school.

I haven’t seen any numbers being thrown around from deals with other schools so I couldn’t tell you if $250,000 was good or not.

I dunno what the future of WSU recruiting is going to be. There is zero value in signing HS kids only to watch them leave for more $. There is value in taking all portal kids as they have used their free transfer.

Can WSU do both? Would one or the other be better? Tough to be a development school when you develop them off to another program. Tough to win a league title with kids that either couldn’t play for other P5 teams or kids making the transition from G5 and FCS to P5. Never truly know what you’re getting.

I stand by my belief that the NCAA should cap rosters at 70. Make the value be in HAVING a roster spot at ANY power 5 school.
My point being if it takes $50,000 and airplane tickets to get Ward...

Then I will smile with putting my share into the pot, getting a few wall calendars made, and plan on an annual bowl game vacation

My point being if it takes $50,000 and airplane tickets to get Ward...

Then I will smile with putting my share into the pot, getting a few wall calendars made, and plan on an annual bowl game vacation

I think the market will be fluid. What gets a player this year could go up or down depending on needs of other schools.

Is there a WSU NIL collective???

McGuire got 2 of our best offensive lineman to come to WSU. I'm giving him slack. Abe and Andre are examples of the diamonds in the rough - athletic, strong, big guys, that can move - that show that lines can be built if you find the right guys.

McGuire got 2 of our best offensive lineman to come to WSU. I'm giving him slack. Abe and Andre are examples of the diamonds in the rough - athletic, strong, big guys, that can move - that show that lines can be built if you find the right guys.

Under Mason Miller WSU allowed the fewest sacks in the conference. It was laughable how much better a coach he is/was than McGuire. Miller runs circles around him as a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT