ADVERTISEMENT

Oh why not - Baseball anyone?

Loyal Coug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 27, 2003
Nice article (thanks Scott) on the new team captains. Contrary to some disparaging posts about baseball, We all know WSU has a long and rich history in this sport. I knew Bobo, what an icon (hardass that he was).

And Bailey-Brayton does attract quite a few fans in the Spring. I've seen crowds as big as basketball has been getting recently. And our Baseball alums have ponied up a lot of money to improve the facilities over the years. One nice thing is that we always have a lot of in-state players on the team. Still a home grown bunch.

I hope Lees can bring us back to some semblance of the glory years.

The one bummer is that with the early start and early graduation, the students are long gone when the last couple of home series take place, along with the good weather. In my day, those late May games were packed.

Based on what racial epithets were coming out of the WSU stands, the brawl was somewhat justified.

Based on what racial epithets were coming out of the WSU stands, the brawl was somewhat justified.

C'mon, refresh our memories. All I remember is that the WSU student fans were getting all over LCSC during the game, and Ed Cheff sent his players into the stands with bats. I don't recall that anyone actually got hit with a bat, and don't recall what the alleged fan comments were. Tried to Google it but with no luck.

The income from baseball has always been peanuts.The fan support or current records does not merit the lavish facilities they are getting. i do not believe that any other AD,other than Moos ,would have placed baseball ahead of a major sport. Baseball is a minor sport probably falling behind Women's volleyball.

C'mon, refresh our memories. All I remember is that the WSU student fans were getting all over LCSC during the game, and Ed Cheff sent his players into the stands with bats. I don't recall that anyone actually got hit with a bat, and don't recall what the alleged fan comments were. Tried to Google it but with no luck.

Bobo was routinely humiliated by Chef (even though the two were friends). This humiliation lead him to try and hype the game and motivate his players. One warm spring weekend a few kegs showed up at some frats in exchange for their attendance at that afternoons games. The drunk frat boys seated above the LC dugout were shouting racial slurs at LC players. These LC players (twins by my recollection) attempted to enter the stands bats in hand. No one injured.

Its a shame the NCAA and RPI have put an end to the LC-WSU rivalry. It was always nice to get our tail kicked by a school of 2k to start to season. :p

Reactions: Cougzz
It was actually during the week.

And as for no injuries - not true. Several of my acquaintances were bruised and bloodied. One guy in particular was trapped underneath a bleacher seat and kicked repeatedly. I was not in attendance but saw the results immediately thereafter at the Coug.

The racial slurs are an embellishment as well.

So much for the storied career of bobo. Sounds like the frat boys got a deserved ass beating.

It was actually during the week.

And as for no injuries - not true. Several of my acquaintances were bruised and bloodied. One guy in particular was trapped underneath a bleacher seat and kicked repeatedly. I was not in attendance but saw the results immediately thereafter at the Coug.

The racial slurs are an embellishment as well.

The more I think of it the more I know you are correct about it being a week day. It is Interesting to hear this side of it. The only way have have heard the story was from a family member who was in the LC dugout. Every story has two sides I suppose and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Most likely racial slurs were used and LC players overacted. Thugery by both sides: rural school frat boys from the 80s and Montie who acted barbaric defending his teammates.

So much for the storied career of bobo. Sounds like the frat boys got a deserved ass beating.
Bobo was a great coach. He did employee many of the Ed Cheff tactics just in a much more low down way. Certainly benefited from being out of the lime light. I have heard stories from folks who had breakfast at Waffles and More in Lewiston with Brayton, Cheff, and Church during the off season. Very entertaining tails.

The more I think of it the more I know you are correct about it being a week day. It is Interesting to hear this side of it. The only way have have heard the story was from a family member who was in the LC dugout. Every story has two sides I suppose and the truth is usually somewhere in the middle. Most likely racial slurs were used and LC players overacted. Thugery by both sides: rural school frat boys from the 80s and Montie who acted barbaric defending his teammates.

Racial slurs? Wait - first you say racial slurs were shouted, now you say "most likely" they were used. So in other words you have no idea what was said? Pray tell what players of color were on the LCSC team at that time? Or ever for that matter? And the twins - was this the Blume brothers? Who were white is lilies.

Racial slurs? Wait - first you say racial slurs were shouted, now you say "most likely" they were used. So in other words you have no idea what was said? Pray tell what players of color were on the LCSC team at that time? Or ever for that matter? And the twins - was this the Blume brothers? Who were white is lilies.

You seem very worked up my friend. Try and relax. The truth is neither of us know for sure what happened as neither of us were there. However, I have heard from people on both sides that racial slurred were indeed involved. This sentiment was reinforced by the earlier comment by Cougzz.

I have been told that the two brothers were Monte and Lonie Philips of Yakima who are white. As I mentioned above it is my interpretation that the act was meant as defense of a colored player who was on the field for LC. I wish I could give you a run down of all the players of color on the team at the time, but I can not. It should not come as a surprise as LC has a rich history of players with Latin American, or pacific island roots. Such as one of last years stars Raymond Pedrina. Take a look at this years team and you will see it is not all white boys from idaho. http://lcwarriors.com/roster.aspx?path=baseball

Am I in any way endorsing the actions by LC thugs? Not at all! Am I brainwashed enough to think that the fans were innocent simply because they were cougs. No.

You seem very worked up my friend. Try and relax. The truth is neither of us know for sure what happened as neither of us were there. However, I have heard from people on both sides that racial slurred were indeed involved. This sentiment was reinforced by the earlier comment by Cougzz.

I have been told that the two brothers were Monte and Lonie Philips of Yakima who are white. As I mentioned above it is my interpretation that the act was meant as defense of a colored player who was on the field for LC. I wish I could give you a run down of all the players of color on the team at the time, but I can not. It should not come as a surprise as LC has a rich history of players with Latin American, or pacific island roots. Such as one of last years stars Raymond Pedrina. Take a look at this years team and you will see it is not all white boys from idaho. http://lcwarriors.com/roster.aspx?path=baseball

Am I in any way endorsing the actions by LC thugs? Not at all! Am I brainwashed enough to think that the fans were innocent simply because they were cougs. No.

Perhaps you are right. Peace. Just not a big fan of Ed Cheff. Didn't know him, but have heard (firsthand) about him as a person. Dwight Church (another poster's reference) is another. He and his one glove. And Idaho in general. All bad people. Heh - just kidding there...:D

All that said, and as much as I loved Bobo, he was never known as the king of diversity on his teams.

I was friends with the guys who got beat down. For whatever reason, I just happened to skip the game and studied instead. Met up with them later at the Coug.

Of the three guys I know, there is not a chance in hell any of them got racial. That was Cheff’s excuse once the police were brought in.

Perhaps you are right. Peace. Just not a big fan of Ed Cheff. Didn't know him, but have heard (firsthand) about him as a person. Dwight Church (another poster's reference) is another. He and his one glove. And Idaho in general. All bad people. Heh - just kidding there...:D

All that said, and as much as I loved Bobo, he was never known as the king of diversity on his teams.

In my years at WSU, the only non-white ballplayers on Bobo's teams that I can recall were Eric Wilkins (African-American) and Joe Tom (Pacific Islander). But I don't recall a heck of a lot of diversity in college baseball at that time, especially in the old NorPac League. Nonetheless, Bobo was a great guy and a lot of fun to be around. He should be remembered as one of the great coaches of any sport at WSU.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: kougkurt
I have been told that the two brothers were Monte and Lonie Philips of Yakima who are white. As I mentioned above it is my interpretation that the act was meant as defense of a colored player who was on the field for LC.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Monte and Lonnie are Native American.

Well, I won't comment on the Philips brothers true motivation. But I will provide an interesting side note that Montie and Lonie Phillips dad, Lane Phillips, actually played for Bobo Brayton at Yakima Valley College. Also their sister Chani played volleyball for WSU in the early 80's I believe.

Headed to the series w/ Bama. I hope we can get a win out of there. Long way to travel for the team and likely will be tired from the traveling.

Reactions: Cougzz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT