ADVERTISEMENT

OL Commit

Prob the hardest thing for large HS OL to do is pull, lead the back and make blocks on smaller/faster athletes in space. When you’re 6’5” or so and 300lbs or so that shit aint easy.

Do you know who makes it look easy? This kid. He runs really well. He hits on the move. He gets in front of the back and he is gonna blow someone up. He understands where he needs to be in the blocking scheme. He has nice feet in the run fits.

He is a must have OL for WSU. He is the kind of player that if WSU got 5 clones of him every year…. the OL is in great shape.

I agree he moves well, you don’t see too many HS OL who can consistently get in front of an outside run and make downfield blocks. My one comment on his run blocking is more on his inside blocking, seems like he ends up on the ground a lot. He finishes his primary block, but if you go down too, your play is over even if the play isn’t over.

Wish they had a little more of him in pass protection, and their yellow unis are awful.

I agree he moves well, you don’t see too many HS OL who can consistently get in front of an outside run and make downfield blocks. My one comment on his run blocking is more on his inside blocking, seems like he ends up on the ground a lot. He finishes his primary block, but if you go down too, your play is over even if the play isn’t over.

Wish they had a little more of him in pass protection, and their yellow unis are awful.

How many blocks is he asked to make on a play? He is 1 of 5. It isn’t his job to block one guy and then block another. I wouldn’t admonish a player because he only knocked down the guy he was supposed to and because he hit the turf too he wasn’t able to knock down a second player.

They don’t throw the ball much. And I would like to see him drive block a kid lined head up. Not a down block.

However, the important pieces are there. You can coach this kid up to pass protect and drive block. Or don’t. Ask him to do what he does best and put him in a position to make plays like you would any skill player.

Nasty! Love a guy that isn’t just satisfied with making a block but wants to demoralize his opponent. When WSU is beating OR, UW, and USC this is why. They’ve got 4 star guys who are fine making a block and grading out, we’ve got guys who want to finish a block then go punish someone else just for the hell of it.

Gotta agree the uni color is not ideal.

Loved his footwork, particularly when countering to the opposite side. Lead blocking is hard enough; pulling to the backside is more complicated. He looked natural in his movement.

And wow; we are looking at junior highlights. Interesting to see where he goes as a senior!

Prob the hardest thing for large HS OL to do is pull, lead the back and make blocks on smaller/faster athletes in space. When you’re 6’5” or so and 300lbs or so that shit aint easy.

Do you know who makes it look easy? This kid. He runs really well. He hits on the move. He gets in front of the back and he is gonna blow someone up. He understands where he needs to be in the blocking scheme. He has nice feet in the run fits.

He is a must have OL for WSU. He is the kind of player that if WSU got 5 clones of him every year…. the OL is in great shape.
If you're this athletic and can hit on the move ....you get to wear John Hannah's number.

My favorite guard of all time. Loved watching him pull and lift linebackers off their feet or completely bury a safety. Hog was awesome!

My favorite guard of all time. Loved watching him pull and lift linebackers off their feet or completely bury a safety. Hog was awesome!
Here is the quiz… who was the tackle he played next to …. Cause those two were the only tw who could block for Sam bam

Hannah was a great. However, my all time favorite pulling guard was that Vandal, Jerry Kramer. Talk about good footwork and the ability to make an open field block...

Hannah was a great. However, my all time favorite pulling guard was that Vandal, Jerry Kramer. Talk about good footwork and the ability to make an open field block...
Some people claim it was Kramer's teammate Gale. I was too young to watch Jerry. There's also Ed White and Doug Wilkerson who aren't in the Hall. That's unbelievable.

Reactions: random soul
Some people claim it was Kramer's teammate Gale. I was too young to watch Jerry. There's also Ed White and Doug Wilkerson who aren't in the Hall. That's unbelievable.
Similar story to cranky old Bob Kuechenberg, who was just as good as Larry Little and Jim Langer leading the best ground game of the '70s, but the other guys are already in, so no joy for Kooch

All this makes it pretty clear that Lombardi could evaluate and select O linemen as well or better than any NFL coach...probably in the history of the game. He probably also knew a thing or two about coaching them once he had them, but it all starts with talent evaluation. Pretty amazing, really....

Similar story to cranky old Bob Kuechenberg, who was just as good as Larry Little and Jim Langer leading the best ground game of the '70s, but the other guys are already in, so no joy for Kooch
Bob was a nasty one. Lot of really good players got the jolt from Kooch. I really think that the players who played against them and in practice...like Bob Baumhower..should be given a weighted vote on these guys. Howie would of put in Ed White. Remember the NFL arm wrestling contest where White took the runner up in like a second and then didn't participate because no one could beat him? BHAM!!

ADVERTISEMENT