ADVERTISEMENT

On a modified season, no fan, neutral site games...?

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
If you cancel or postpone this season....which seems likely...do you allow certain schools (in COVID free areas) to schedule games vs. each other?

For example, if we scheduled a game vs. Mississippi State, on neutral (no fan) ground, that would get some TV attention. If both those schools are "COVID free" why not allow them to play and get some money back into our budget?

I think flexibility is needed to allow schools, like WSU, to have some control over their budgets.

Let ESPN and the networks have some flexibility in terms of scheduling these neutral site games to maximize the TV viewing audience. Maybe even renegotiate the existing TV agreements to allow for this.

Also, it COVID might be completely gone by the time the Apple Cup arrives. Doesn't it make sense to allow the schools to play, get some sense of revenue, and allow bragging rights?

I'd even delay it, and play it in the Kibby Dome, with no fans.

I also see a 6th year waiver coming with an additional 20 scholarships for the 2021 season.

That'll be interesting.

If you cancel or postpone this season....which seems likely...do you allow certain schools (in COVID free areas) to schedule games vs. each other?

For example, if we scheduled a game vs. Mississippi State, on neutral (no fan) ground, that would get some TV attention. If both those schools are "COVID free" why not allow them to play and get some money back into our budget?

I think flexibility is needed to allow schools, like WSU, to have some control over their budgets.

Let ESPN and the networks have some flexibility in terms of scheduling these neutral site games to maximize the TV viewing audience. Maybe even renegotiate the existing TV agreements to allow for this.

Also, it COVID might be completely gone by the time the Apple Cup arrives. Doesn't it make sense to allow the schools to play, get some sense of revenue, and allow bragging rights?

I'd even delay it, and play it in the Kibby Dome, with no fans.

I also see a 6th year waiver coming with an additional 20 scholarships for the 2021 season.

That'll be interesting.
I doubt that COVID will be gone by the Apple Cup. Absent a vaccine, it probably will follow a course like the 1918 flu which took around 2 years to burn itself out.

I think the idea of setting up games without fans between teams that have tested negative makes a lot of sense. I’m surprised it hasn’t been seriously pursued by anyone yet. Seems like the TV revenues could be huge.

I too, think you could make a lot of money with no fan, maybe neutral site games.

Mandatory testing prior to game. Any play with positive COVID, sits. 14 days +.

Arizona could be great location for non fan games, as we head into the cold months. Hell you could even use stadiums and have back to back to back games.

Create some kind of travel, revenue sharing pool because if games were in AZ, then those schools would save a massive amount of travel money.

I too, think you could make a lot of money with no fan, maybe neutral site games.

Mandatory testing prior to game. Any play with positive COVID, sits. 14 days +.

Arizona could be great location for non fan games, as we head into the cold months. Hell you could even use stadiums and have back to back to back games.

Create some kind of travel, revenue sharing pool because if games were in AZ, then those schools would save a massive amount of travel money.
I guess football in Arizona makes as much sense as enclosed, maskless gatherings in the middle of a resurgence.

I'm just not seeing a CB season happening.... I don't see how we can be responsible with Covid raging and let the kids play. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT