ADVERTISEMENT

On Leach's salary...here's how he stacks...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
This is from the Seattle Times are few weeks ago.

I think he deserves a pay bump no doubt, but I would argue putting some more dollars in the assistant pool. I'd give Leach a 10% raise and put some serious incentives in their.

Claeys and the team are making him look good too.

Also, should Leach bolt, I feel pretty good with what we are paying. This isn't the job Paul Wulff took.

Lastly, expect to see other schools increasing their spend as they recruit new guys.

2018 PAC-12 COACHING SALARIES
National rank in parentheses
1. Chris Petersen, UW, $4.38 million (19)
2. David Shaw, Stanford, $4.31 million (20)
3. Kyle Whittingham, Utah, $3.78 million (28)
4. Mike Leach, WSU, $3.5 million (39)
5. Chip Kelly, UCLA, $3.3 million (40)
6. Mike MacIntyre, Colorado, $2.88 million (45)
7. Clay Helton, USC, $2.63 million (47)
8. Mario Cristobal, Oregon, $2.5 million (54)
9. Kevin Sumlin, Arizona, $2 million (61)
10. Herm Edwards, ASU, $2 million (62)
11. Jonathan Smith, OSU, $1.9 million (63)
12. Justin Wilcox, Cal, $1.5 million (74)

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...sen-now-the-highest-paid-coach-in-the-pac-12/

This is from the Seattle Times are few weeks ago.

I think he deserves a pay bump no doubt, but I would argue putting some more dollars in the assistant pool. I'd give Leach a 10% raise and put some serious incentives in their.

Claeys and the team are making him look good too.

Also, should Leach bolt, I feel pretty good with what we are paying. This isn't the job Paul Wulff took.

Lastly, expect to see other schools increasing their spend as they recruit new guys.

2018 PAC-12 COACHING SALARIES
National rank in parentheses
1. Chris Petersen, UW, $4.38 million (19)
2. David Shaw, Stanford, $4.31 million (20)
3. Kyle Whittingham, Utah, $3.78 million (28)
4. Mike Leach, WSU, $3.5 million (39)
5. Chip Kelly, UCLA, $3.3 million (40)
6. Mike MacIntyre, Colorado, $2.88 million (45)
7. Clay Helton, USC, $2.63 million (47)
8. Mario Cristobal, Oregon, $2.5 million (54)
9. Kevin Sumlin, Arizona, $2 million (61)
10. Herm Edwards, ASU, $2 million (62)
11. Jonathan Smith, OSU, $1.9 million (63)
12. Justin Wilcox, Cal, $1.5 million (74)

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...sen-now-the-highest-paid-coach-in-the-pac-12/

Not sure that is an accurate account of compensation. remember when Dennis took over at OSU? The Seahwks were supplementing his salary. If San Fran isn't paying chip a pretty penny for the next few years, what would he command on the market. My guess Chip with his San Fran salary is about 5.5 mil a year.

And when his income runs out with the 49ers, UCLA will see a hefty raise in his salary if he turns it around.

Not sure that is an accurate account of compensation. remember when Dennis took over at OSU? The Seahwks were supplementing his salary. If San Fran isn't paying chip a pretty penny for the next few years, what would he command on the market. My guess Chip with his San Fran salary is about 5.5 mil a year.

And when his income runs out with the 49ers, UCLA will see a hefty raise in his salary if he turns it around.

That’s not the way coaches look at it. Screw the old employer. It’s an ego thing.

I didn't read your article link but I will say this. These income lists have always been hard to quantify, specifically for 2 schools. Cal and Stanford are private schools. They don't have to disclose salaries. And so the contracts are often written so that the actual cost of a coach isn't truly disclosed. That way when they are asked for it, they aren't necessarily lying. For an extreme example: Base pay is 2 mill. If the team makes at least 1 touchdown per game, it's supplemented $500,000 per game. Or the use of cars, gas cards, etc. The examples are forever long.

I know a non-profit that requires their CEO's to become ministers. Take some classes (that they approve) and done. So it's a little more than the obligatory "online minister" thing. BUT, that makes their homes parsonages. Meaning 40% of their housing maintenance and upgrades are tax free. Also, a percentage of those maintenance/upgrades are PAID by the company. Stuff like that. It's everywhere. Instead of raised income, paid vacations are the new negotiating points. Start with a week of vacation a year, ask for 3 weeks! That way it doesn't hit the bottom line in the same way. Sometimes it ain't about the mullaw.

I believe SC should up Helton's salary. He's not only the head coach now but is calling plays as well.

That’s not the way coaches look at it. Screw the old employer. It’s an ego thing.
How much do you think his chip Kelly sees as his compensation for 2018. ? Do you believe with his resume he would allow UCLA to pay him middle of the pack while Chris Peterson makes close to double ?

How much do you think his chip Kelly sees as his compensation for 2018. ? Do you believe with his resume he would allow UCLA to pay him middle of the pack while Chris Peterson makes close to double ?
A lot. But he will still demand what he is worth regardless of other compensation

With regard to salaries I think the assistants are important to look at.
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/assistant
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/football/coach

The second link is usually a really cool one, because it lists total assistant pay. Right now you have to jump around, and this one is a year outdated for assistants. According to these charts, CML is 39th in the country, and the assistant's total is 38. But 8th in the PAC-12.....just ahead of AZ.

Kinda funny, Ohio State's HC is #2 on the list. Assistants? #13. LSU's assistant rank #2, 2.4 million MORE than Orgeron. YOU don't see that much on these lists. Orgeron makes what CML makes.

A lot. But he will still demand what he is worth regardless of other compensation

Then why is he not paid more than say willingham . If I recall correctly if he is owed 6 mil by San Fran per year, and UCLA pays him two, then San Fran only pays him four per year. It may have changed over time , but that is how it was when Erickson went from Seahawks to osu and San Fran to Idaho

Then why is he not paid more than say willingham . If I recall correctly if he is owed 6 mil by San Fran per year, and UCLA pays him two, then San Fran only pays him four per year. It may have changed over time , but that is how it was when Erickson went from Seahawks to osu and San Fran to Idaho

That’s my point. So why not inflate his pay from UCLA. Everyone and their mother can look up pac 12 coaches salaries and that is his current employer

If I am paid a “severance” or retirement from a previous employer do I want to take a job that pays me less than my peers when I am perceived to be more qualified?

That’s my point. So why not inflate his pay from UCLA. Everyone and their mother can look up pac 12 coaches salaries and that is his current employer

If I am paid a “severance” or retirement from a previous employer do I want to take a job that pays me less than my peers when I am perceived to be more qualified?

Not sure why anyone gives a shit about Chip Kelly's contract in a CML thread, but here you two go.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/how-chip-kellys-contract-ucla-saves-49ers

ADVERTISEMENT