ADVERTISEMENT

On the d-line coach story...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
In watching practice videos, the d-line seems much more active than before. There seems to be a lot of trading places (looping, etc) with big linebackers (Tago, Luvu, Hanser) jumping through the gaps created when o-linemen are scrambling to keep up. Destroy and disrupt, Phelps says. It worked against WSU in the Holiday Bowl. Any time you get a couple of bodies in the backfield, an offense is changed, or so the argument goes.
Even so, we're going to need an infusion of big JC transfers next season to continue this defense's progress.

In watching practice videos, the d-line seems much more active than before. There seems to be a lot of trading places (looping, etc) with big linebackers (Tago, Luvu, Hanser) jumping through the gaps created when o-linemen are scrambling to keep up. Destroy and disrupt, Phelps says. It worked against WSU in the Holiday Bowl. Any time you get a couple of bodies in the backfield, an offense is changed, or so the argument goes.
Even so, we're going to need an infusion of big JC transfers next season to continue this defense's progress.
Not sure there's any other option with lack of big bodies. Not like this group can go straight up and win one one one battles across the line. Grinch and Phelps are going to have to be creative, and also accept the fact that when the opposing offense picks up all the stunts and loops the D is going to get gashed.

That's Grinch's style anyway though. Be aggressive and take chances rather than death by 1000 paper cuts.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
In watching practice videos, the d-line seems much more active than before. There seems to be a lot of trading places (looping, etc) with big linebackers (Tago, Luvu, Hanser) jumping through the gaps created when o-linemen are scrambling to keep up.

Yea, it's the speed defense, bro. Kind of like when my "5-year old twins" try to wrestle with me. Lots of jumping around, twisting, and looping before I pin them down and make them cry uncle. :D

Last edited:
Not sure there's any other option with lack of big bodies. Not like this group can go straight up and win one one one battles across the line. Grinch and Phelps are going to have to be creative, and also accept the fact that when the opposing offense picks up all the stunts and loops the D is going to get gashed.

That's Grinch's style anyway though. Be aggressive and take chances rather than death by 1000 paper cuts.

But we love our death by a 1000 paper cuts so much!

By the way, how would you describe our blowout loss to USC under Wulff? Death by sledgehammer...followed by several hand grenades thrown at our "defense" for good measure? :D Ah...those were the days.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
But we love our death by a 1000 paper cuts so much!

By the way, how would you describe our blowout loss to USC under Wulff? Death by sledgehammer...followed by several hand grenades thrown at our "defense" for good measure? :D Ah...those were the days.
Wish I could find a picture of Carroll throwing his hands up before half trying to keep the score down by running a fullback dive play over-and-over we couldn't stop. That was just a sad and pathetic moment in a steady stream of sad and pathetic moments.

I'm not even being hyperbolistic when I say SC could have beat us by 100 that day.

The coaching of the D line has improved this year.One does not need 300 pounders to stop the run. A guy like Mc Broom who weighs 280 pds,properly utilized, can do a lot of damage to an offense.Today s offense swill crush an approach like the WSU line s play last year. We saw that numerous times last year.The game against USC will be a teast of the so caled "speed defense">

Bigger fast guys beat smaller fast guys. But that is about 3rd down the list of important things. First is having everybody do their job. Go where they are supposed to go, do what they are supposed to do. Hit the right gaps. Don't over pursue. It starts there. Big guys who don't do that have problems. Smaller guys who do that can be effective. If we get the fundamentals right and don't beat ourselves, we have a chance with the current personnel. If we don't get that right, bigger people would not make much difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT