ADVERTISEMENT

On the numbers: Pac-12 network current vs. future strategy, comparatively speaking

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
The P-12 network is $2.5M per school annually, with 14.8M subscribers. The way the money works is you get a rate for "in market" subscribers vs. "not in market" subscribers.

By comparison, the Big-10 network has like 50M subscribers.

For the Pac-12 network to drive value, it would need to go from annual pay of an estimate $30M current, to say 10x as much. ($22.5M/school) Based on reports, the other media rights are likely an additional $25-30M. So the real opportunity is how the network is structured, how many subscriptions we get, and how much a streaming platform for other sports generates.

For the gloom and doom Pac-12 crowd, or the Big-12 "experts," which don't have network (they gave Texas the Longhorn network for them to just leave the conference) the dance is not over for the Pac-12.

I think if we can get the right markets and programs, from the midwest, we can drive a significantly higher media contract. (think 9am midwest broadcast windows).

On the flip side, the programs from the Pac-12 don't want to join the Big-12, so the only real opportunity for any of the Big-12 remaining "marquee" teams is to align with the Pac-12 by joining it. Namely if the ACC media alignment strategy comes to fruition.

The P-12 network is $2.5M per school annually, with 14.8M subscribers. The way the money works is you get a rate for "in market" subscribers vs. "not in market" subscribers.

By comparison, the Big-10 network has like 50M subscribers.

For the Pac-12 network to drive value, it would need to go from annual pay of an estimate $30M current, to say 10x as much. ($22.5M/school) Based on reports, the other media rights are likely an additional $25-30M. So the real opportunity is how the network is structured, how many subscriptions we get, and how much a streaming platform for other sports generates.

For the gloom and doom Pac-12 crowd, or the Big-12 "experts," which don't have network (they gave Texas the Longhorn network for them to just leave the conference) the dance is not over for the Pac-12.

I think if we can get the right markets and programs, from the midwest, we can drive a significantly higher media contract. (think 9am midwest broadcast windows).

On the flip side, the programs from the Pac-12 don't want to join the Big-12, so the only real opportunity for any of the Big-12 remaining "marquee" teams is to align with the Pac-12 by joining it. Namely if the ACC media alignment strategy comes to fruition.
There's more money, so just by signing a new contract the numbers should go up.

Plain and simple: the P12N needs an ala cart streaming service. I will not, nor will I ever, subscribe to cable/sat to get the P12N and I know many like me. I have done a streaming service in the past, but why go through distribution when you could pocket all the money? I'd pay $15/mo for P12N during football and MBB, so they'd get about $7.50/mo averaged over the year. If they made it $10/mo, I'd probably just leave it on during the summer and they could make $120 instead of $90, so 30% more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT