ADVERTISEMENT

One ounce of happy Coug...

Cougini5591

Team Captain
Gold Member
Jul 6, 2022
University of Idaho just beat University of Montana over in Missoula.

Considering our close game with them and how they also played Indiana rather well... that 1st game wasn't 100% garbage.

Oregon State really ought to have a decent year the more I think about it.

I still don't understand why our Offensive has to be this sucky, but we have lost to 2 good and 1 decent Pac-12 teams.

If Fusc weighs the same as the Duck... to also be made of wood (ergo beaver)... our season is "a fair cop"

And therefore...

The only thing that this weekend really proved is that we are not going to have a 10 win season. We have the schedule to be 7-4 heading into the Apple Cup against a schizophrenic UW team that could also be 7-4.

The only thing that this weekend really proved is that we are not going to have a 10 win season. We have the schedule to be 7-4 heading into the Apple Cup against a schizophrenic UW team that could also be 7-4.
I posted my expectations and outlook for the season back in August, and they've generally played out as I expected they would outside of the win at Wisconsin that I didn't see coming. When predicting an upcoming season, I typically break the schedule into 3 or 4 segments.

• I had the Colorado State game circled as the most important game in September, because winning that one would put us in line for a 7-8 win season. Beat Idaho, Lose to Wisconsin, Beat CSU. We did one game better and started 3-0.

• Next up was Oregon and Cal at home. I figured if we could go 1-1 in those games, we'd be OK. We darn near pulled another upset, but generally speaking, those games were solid performances.

• I circled our current 3-game stretch against at USC, at OSU, and Utah as one where I wouldn't be surprised if we went 0-3, but I had hoped we could at least go 1-2. The Utah game looks dark right now, and we'll probably lose it, but the bye week comes at a good time. Let's not overlook the fact that Utah allowed 420 yards at home to Oregon State in a game where the Beavs lost their starting QB in the 1st quarter, and they've followed up that performance by allowing 500+ yards to UCLA and USC the past 2 weeks. They're not without flaws.

• Regardless of how the Utah game goes, the final 4 games of the season against at Stanford, ASU, at Arizona, and UW will define the season. We have a legitimate chance to run the table and finish at 8-4.

There's still a lot to play for this year, and the overreactions about losing a road game to a tough OSU team that was favored against us have been typical, I guess. Suggesting that we're going to fire our offensive coordinator in the middle of his 1st season are ludicrous.

Reactions: 425cougfan
I posted my expectations and outlook for the season back in August, and they've generally played out as I expected they would outside of the win at Wisconsin that I didn't see coming. When predicting an upcoming season, I typically break the schedule into 3 or 4 segments.

• I had the Colorado State game circled as the most important game in September, because winning that one would put us in line for a 7-8 win season. Beat Idaho, Lose to Wisconsin, Beat CSU. We did one game better and started 3-0.

• Next up was Oregon and Cal at home. I figured if we could go 1-1 in those games, we'd be OK. We darn near pulled another upset, but generally speaking, those games were solid performances.

• I circled our current 3-game stretch against at USC, at OSU, and Utah as one where I wouldn't be surprised if we went 0-3, but I had hoped we could at least go 1-2. The Utah game looks dark right now, and we'll probably lose it, but the bye week comes at a good time. Let's not overlook the fact that Utah allowed 420 yards at home to Oregon State in a game where the Beavs lost their starting QB in the 1st quarter, and they've followed up that performance by allowing 500+ yards to UCLA and USC the past 2 weeks. They're not without flaws.

• Regardless of how the Utah game goes, the final 4 games of the season against at Stanford, ASU, at Arizona, and UW will define the season. We have a legitimate chance to run the table and finish at 8-4.

There's still a lot to play for this year, and the overreactions about losing a road game to a tough OSU team that was favored against us have been typical, I guess. Suggesting that we're going to fire our offensive coordinator in the middle of his 1st season are ludicrous.
Losing by 3 to a team that on paper and video looked to be very equally matched to us and then going APE over it = over reacting.

Losing by 2 touchdowns in the ugliest offensive performance yet = not over reacting.

We aren’t firing him mid season that’s never going to happen, but it’s fair to say after the past couple of weeks, You are either trending up or down and it’s clear offensively we are headed in the wrong direction. If there’s not significant improvement from this point on Morris should be put on notice and if it’s bad enough a bold move may have to be made after the season. If it’s clearly not working, cut your losses and move on.

Utah is obviously going to be a tough game but at home with extra days to prepare against a defense that’s been routinely giving up 500 yards there’s no reason the offense can’t get healthy. Looking ahead on the schedule the way these teams have all played I’d say each game is a toss up. UW lost to ASU and barely beat Arizona so if some are chalking up AC as a loss, how are ASU and AZ l wins? All of these games will have lines under 5 probably.

Losing by 3 to a team that on paper and video looked to be very equally matched to us and then going APE over it = over reacting.

Losing by 2 touchdowns in the ugliest offensive performance yet = not over reacting.
We outgained them 368 to 342, despite running just 6 plays for 1 yard in the first quarter. The Beavs didn't complete a pass in the 2nd quarter. Oregon State led 17-10 heading into the 4th quarter. They sure as Hell didn't run up and down the field on us.

Oregon State sacked Ward 6 times and knocked him down another 8 plays. We only rushed for a total of 23 yards. It wasn't a good game, but Oregon State isn't an inferior opponent to us. We just couldn't get anything going on offense.

We outgained them 368 to 342, despite running just 6 plays for 1 yard in the first quarter. The Beavs didn't complete a pass in the 2nd quarter. Oregon State led 17-10 heading into the 4th quarter. They sure as Hell didn't run up and down the field on us.

Oregon State sacked Ward 6 times and knocked him down another 8 plays. We only rushed for a total of 23 yards. It wasn't a good game, but Oregon State isn't an inferior opponent to us. We just couldn't get anything going on offense.

THATS ONLY BECAUSE MORRIS STUPIDLY DIDNT HAVE JENKINS(7+ YARDS A CARRY, ONLY 8,EIGHT CARRIES), RUN THE DAMN EFFIN BALL MORE.

most to almost all of that 23 rushing yards, was due to Morris stupidly not running more, and Cam getting sacked 6 times because of Morris stupidly not running the ball more and stupidly going 4,5 WR, empty backfield, and Morris, and Cam both stupidly doing, playing HERO ball, looking for 27+ yard pass plays, instead of taking what the defense was giving(Underneath 6 to 11 yards passes, the chance to have Jenkins, Cam GASH Ore St with the run, that Morris STUPIDLY passed up).

We aren’t firing him mid season that’s never going to happen, but it’s fair to say after the past couple of weeks, You are either trending up or down and it’s clear offensively we are headed in the wrong direction. If there’s not significant improvement from this point on Morris should be put on notice and if it’s bad enough a bold move may have to be made after the season. If it’s clearly not working, cut your losses and move on.

Utah is obviously going to be a tough game but at home with extra days to prepare against a defense that’s been routinely giving up 500 yards there’s no reason the offense can’t get healthy. Looking ahead on the schedule the way these teams have all played I’d say each game is a toss up. UW lost to ASU and barely beat Arizona so if some are chalking up AC as a loss, how are ASU and AZ l wins? All of these games will have lines under 5 probably.
What people aren't noticing is that Utah also has a bye week to prep for us. This is a defense that we regularly have issues with, we're playing with the worst offense we've had since 2011, and they have extra time. None of that works in our favor.

Utah has given up 500 to teams that have good QBs and who can run or throw. None of those things apply to us right now.

Not sure why the Huskies lost to ASU, other than they're always a lot better in Tempe than on the road. But looking at those 3 teams right now, ASU looks like the most likely win - and partially only because it's in Pullman. ASU doesn't throw the ball all that well, although it's hard to say what they're going to do with a mid-season firing. Their approach could change. We also don't handle physical RBs very well, but we've got a better chance of hanging with a team that is run-oriented. UA and UW both have QBs that are completing a lot of passes and not getting sacked a lot...which is bad for us, since opposing QBs average a 64% completion rate against us. On the plus side, neither of their defenses is very good...but they don't have to be, either, since the vaunted "Coug Raid" is the #10 offense in the conference. Even if you break it down to just the passing offense, we're squarely in the middle...14 yards ahead of the fearsome Stanford aerial offense.

We put up 40+ against Oregon and 28 points and over 400 yards vs. Cal, a team that absolutely demolished Arizona.

Why can’t we beat Stanford, ASU, Arizona, and UW? Because we played poorly at SC and Oregon Stare? Have you watched UWs secondary this season?

We put up 40+ against Oregon and 28 points and over 400 yards vs. Cal, a team that absolutely demolished Arizona.

Why can’t we beat Stanford, ASU, Arizona, and UW? Because we played poorly at SC and Oregon Stare? Have you watched UWs secondary this season?

Because Morris, OL, Ward, is too INCONSISTENT. One game good, then next game SHITTY, DUMB ASSEDLY ONLY GIVING 8 CARRIES to A RB GETTING 7,8 YARDS PER EACH OF THOSE CARRIES.

WSU should hopefully beat Colorado, ASU, Arizona, because they are the 3 worst teams in conference, just like Cal is the 4,5th WORST team in conference

Utah, and UW will beat WSU.

Dickert, and defense, WSU, will go 7-5, DESPITE MORRIS'S STUPIDITY, INCONSISTENCY, because of the defense, and Dickert finding a way to snatch victory from the Jaws of defeat because of one of MORRIS'S INCONSISTENT games.

UWs secondary isn’t the issue. Ours is. We’re not going to stop any offense that can keep their QB upright and also run the ball. Our play recognition isn’t good enough, our zone is soft, and we don’t know how to tackle a physical back. Those teams are going to score, and they only way we win is to score more.

Which brings up the second problem. Our offense can’t score, so we certainly can’t get in a shootout.

So, based on recent performance, Utah, UA and UW look like losses. ASU and Stanford…not sure. Maybe we’ll see the light dawn on Morris/Ward, but we haven’t seen any evidence of it through 7, so I’m not holding my breath for a miracle in the next 5.

UWs secondary isn’t the issue. Ours is. We’re not going to stop any offense that can keep their QB upright and also run the ball. Our play recognition isn’t good enough, our zone is soft, and we don’t know how to tackle a physical back. Those teams are going to score, and they only way we win is to score more.

Which brings up the second problem. Our offense can’t score, so we certainly can’t get in a shootout.

So, based on recent performance, Utah, UA and UW look like losses. ASU and Stanford…not sure. Maybe we’ll see the light dawn on Morris/Ward, but we haven’t seen any evidence of it through 7, so I’m not holding my breath for a miracle in the next 5.

The Coug Raid is too easy to stop.

The 425 defense, designed to defend a spread passing attack, cannot do it. Nor can it stop the run. The kids play hard. They’ve played some good bend but don’t break defense. It isn’t enough if the offense scores 10.

Meet the Air Raid! Same as the wishbone…. The AR either adapts as a scheme or its done. We are watching the beginning of the end of the AR.

UW is gonna smoke us. They have an offense. We don't

7 of the 40 against Oregon was a pick 6.

14 and 10 in the last 2 games does not inspire confidence. Arizona and UW will outscore us.

UW is gonna smoke us. They have an offense. We don't

7 of the 40 against Oregon was a pick 6.

14 and 10 in the last 2 games does not inspire confidence. Arizona and UW will outscore us.

It will be interesting to see how Utah plays them. Their HC benches 450. The kids are just as strong. WSU better put their big bawlz on for this one and come ready to fight.

It’s going to take more than 2 scores to beat Utah.

The Coug Raid is too easy to stop.

The 425 defense, designed to defend a spread passing attack, cannot do it. Nor can it stop the run. The kids play hard. They’ve played some good bend but don’t break defense. It isn’t enough if the offense scores 10.

Meet the Air Raid! Same as the wishbone…. The AR either adapts as a scheme or its done. We are watching the beginning of the end of the AR.
What "COUG RAID"?

Last edited:

It’s going to be a tough game but Utah also has a bye this weekend so they also will have the extra days to prepare for what we are doing.

So Cal can beat Arizona 49-31, but we can't?
Cal beat UA because Ott ran for 274 yards & 3 TDs. UA doesn't defend the run very well, but that doesn't matter because we won't run. They're also not very good against the pass, which is what gives us a chance. Problem (for us) is that their offense is more reliable through the air than ours is, and less 1-dimensional.

It's in Tucson, where we frequently have issues (not as bad as Tempe, but still). The brightest glimmer for us is that their defense doesn't get much pressure on the QB, so Ward shouldn't be forced into the situations where he tends to wilt. If our OC will actually use the run, our offense should be able to move the ball, but...I'll believe it when I see it. Defensively, I don't see a lot of reason to believe we're going to slow them down, and like I said....we can't get into a shootout.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
ADVERTISEMENT