ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon recruiting

I know it sounds like jealousy, but I find all of what Oregon football is about to be nauseating. It's what's wrong with football....and, of course, they aren't the only ones.

Glad Cougar

True...but it was inevitable that college football would go there. Money rules all of our culture/country.

Kids don’t actually want to play football. They want shiny stuff and free money.

If you have playing time to sell, find a way to sell it.

The portal is the ultimate backup plan. Sign with Oregon for the $$$$, if it doesn’t work out you can always enter the portal and come back to the schools you wouldn’t give the time of day to in high school.

If Dickfore came out and said we have no NIL money here and we aren’t taking any portal transfers, honestly I can appreciate that. Sign high school kids and juco kids, do what WSU has always done and it is what it is.

Remove the program from the circus that is NIL and the portal.

Reactions: wsudefense
Kids don’t actually want to play football. They want shiny stuff and free money.

The portal is the ultimate backup plan. Sign with Oregon for the $$$$, if it doesn’t work out you can always enter the portal and come back to the schools you wouldn’t give the time of day to in high school.

If Dickfore came out and said we have no NIL money here and we aren’t taking any portal transfers, honestly I can appreciate that. Sign high school kids and juco kids, do what WSU has always done and it is what it is.

Why Pidgeon hole yourself when others are taking your experienced players?

They actually do want to play football. But they want to do it on a brand new XBox.

Grow the f up, will ya?

You can bag on all the previous coaches all you want, but CJD hasn't even been here long enough to earn the incredibly disrespectful moniker that you've given him, let alone the amount of ire you heap on him.

Not sold? Great. But geezus, lighten up Francis.

I swear I read like 18/2X recruits from the 21 class are no longer with the team, transferred etc? I’m jealous of the recruits they sign in some ways but the flip side is constant turnover and infighting among kids who are/aren’t getting mega contracts. Teams thrive on togetherness, and shiny things sell the commitment but not always the other parts.

I swear I read like 18/2X recruits from the 21 class are no longer with the team, transferred etc? I’m jealous of the recruits they sign in some ways but the flip side is constant turnover and infighting among kids who are/aren’t getting mega contracts. Teams thrive on togetherness, and shiny things sell the commitment but not always the other parts.

There is no more development. The kids see it as playing or not playing.

It isn’t just WSU. There are a lot of schools watching their roster turn over too fast. I read an article about Scott Frost at Nebraska. It was ridiculous how many kids left in 2 seasons or less. There was no way he was ever gonna turn the corner there constantly losing that many kids.

85 scholarships may be too many. If no one will stick around to “develop” and third or fourth string is gone, wtf is the point?

Grow the f up, will ya?

You can bag on all the previous coaches all you want, but CJD hasn't even been here long enough to earn the incredibly disrespectful moniker that you've given him, let alone the amount of ire you heap on him.

Or you could click ignore and not read my posts, Francis.

Im not going to join the 7-6 circle jerk of awesome so many of you are excited to be in. 7th place doesn’t deserve applause. It doesn’t deserve a bowl game either.

Im not going to join the 7-6 circle jerk of awesome so many of you are excited to be in. 7th place doesn’t deserve applause. It doesn’t deserve a bowl game either.
I agree with the latter, but what are you expecting in year 1.5 in regards to the former? Would 8 wins meet your standard? 9?

I am under no delusions that you're simply a perennial nega-coug, but I'm just telling you that your sophomoric name calling undermines whatever point you might be trying to make, valid or not.

Grow the f up, will ya?

No shit. Besides that he’s taken his first two squads to bowl games. How many other Coug coaches can say that?

These are tough times for schools like WSU with the NIL/Portal nonsense. Dickert hasn’t been perfect but there’s a lot to like about him.

I agree with the latter, but what are you expecting in year 1.5 in regards to the former? Would 8 wins meet your standard? 9?

I am under no delusions that you're simply a perennial nega-coug, but I'm just telling you that your sophomoric name calling undermines whatever point you might be trying to make, valid or not.

My standard is well coached football. However the wins and losses shake out is how they shake out. What I have zero tolerance for is coaches putting a poorly prepared, poorly schemed and poorly coached team on the field. Or coaches that have a poor plan from the start, ala Wulff.

Dickfore f’ed up both his coordinator positions right out of the gate. His OL coach, who sucked the first time he was here, sucks the second time he was here. I said it would happen, it happened.

And now we hear this talk about being a “development” program. Fine. We will see how many high school players he signs vs hired gun transfers. Maybe he will prove me wrong and bring in more HS kids to be the development program he talks about??? We will see soon enough.

What we saw in the bowl game is what we will see next year. Will the transfers make an impact??? Tell me what we should be excited about on the defensive side of the ball for next season after giving up 1204 yards in the final two games? And the offense? Ward sucks. The OL has gaping holes. Who is playing receiver? The RBs are either too small or too slow. Can they be coached up???
Enough crying about name calling. Jesus H. Christ. So f’ing soft. Is there any accountability? Is it always puppy dogs and rainbows even when you lose??? You’ve heard enough negativity, Ive had enough gas lighting.

If Dickfore came out and said we have no NIL money here and we aren’t taking any portal transfers, honestly I can appreciate that. Sign high school kids and juco kids, do what WSU has always done and it is what it is

Biggs, is that sustainable though?

Wouldn’t the blue bloods just go through back channels and entice those late-blooming Cougs with big bucks offers to transfer?

If CJD didn’t stay aggressive in the portal and NIL game, then WSU could be stuck in situation where those “special” seasons were perpetually a year or two away because he and his staff were always coaching a roster full of still developing talent.

At some point, a coach in a Power 5 conference must have multiple guys good enough and mature enough to play in the NFL immediately or else it’s gonna be difficult to keep up with the USC’s and Oregon’s

Reactions: LeachPack

Wouldn’t the blue bloods just go through back channels and entice those late-blooming Cougs with big bucks offers to transfer?

If CJD didn’t stay aggressive in the portal and NIL game, then WSU could be stuck in situation where those “special” seasons were perpetually a year or two away because he and his staff were always coaching a roster full of still developing talent.

At some point, a coach in a Power 5 conference must have multiple guys good enough and mature enough to play in the NFL immediately or else it’s gonna be difficult to keep up with the USC’s and Oregon’s

WSU is going to lose kids to the portal because they weren’t playing or to the portal because they weren’t paid enough. Every school like WSU, and there are a lot of them, is jammed up. If it’s a bidding war with SC, WSU loses 100% of the time.

Who is WSU signing from the portal with a resume worthy of big NIL dollars? They didn’t land big time dudes this pst signing date. And how do we know what kids did or didn’t get??? Has anyone seen any info on who has deals with who???? Or for how much???

The special seasons are over. The top half of the conference has a way to push the best talent upward. Kids either wanna play for WSU or they don’t. If it comes down to $$$, we watch them leave.

I 100% agree that teams winning 10 games or so have multiple guys headed to NFL camps. How do you hold onto your best talent? You prob don’t.

It is a revolving door right now. Maybe it gets better when the 6th year is burned up? Maybe it gets better when kids realize the most valuable currency is playing time?

My standard is well coached football. However the wins and losses shake out is how they shake out. What I have zero tolerance for is coaches putting a poorly prepared, poorly schemed and poorly coached team on the field. Or coaches that have a poor plan from the start, ala Wulff.

Dickfore f’ed up both his coordinator positions right out of the gate. His OL coach, who sucked the first time he was here, sucks the second time he was here. I said it would happen, it happened.

And now we hear this talk about being a “development” program. Fine. We will see how many high school players he signs vs hired gun transfers. Maybe he will prove me wrong and bring in more HS kids to be the development program he talks about??? We will see soon enough.

What we saw in the bowl game is what we will see next year. Will the transfers make an impact??? Tell me what we should be excited about on the defensive side of the ball for next season after giving up 1204 yards in the final two games? And the offense? Ward sucks. The OL has gaping holes. Who is playing receiver? The RBs are either too small or too slow. Can they be coached up???
Enough crying about name calling. Jesus H. Christ. So f’ing soft. Is there any accountability? Is it always puppy dogs and rainbows even when you lose??? You’ve heard enough negativity, Ive had enough gas lighting.
So how do you think WSU would have looked in the sun bowl minus Long, Trufant, Williams, etc?

Are you saying WSU when playing for a rose Bowl in 2001 against Oregon that Doba giving up 446 on the ground with his talent was a well coached team. Your stands fluctuate depending on who you like and what system they run.

You know either you want JC transfers or you want high school kids, or you want all portal kids. For the life of me I have zero idea why you believe there cant be a multi prong strategy.

Look at it like dating. Say you are in the market and you only want to date virgins. Slim pickings my friend. Mrs Couged, and his two daughters, plus the daughters of board members are the only ones left, and not sure you are their type and vice versa.

So to help your dating situation you might want to increase you recruiting base....

Either that or become a shareholder in Jergens....

Reactions: LeachPack
Must be nice to have motorcycles, trucks and cars to show off, along with all the merchandise. How can anyone compete with that. Someone paint a tractor or something.

At some point the rubber will hit the road. Do most NILs have marketplace value? No! It is basically salary. There is just one pot of athletic revenue available to each school. Donor, gate and TV. The more spent on NILs, the more donor and gate revenue will suffer. When schools come to terms regard how NILs are adversely impacting their bottom line, they will insist on "reform," to insure that they get a disproportionate share of the revenue base. I'm not saying it is right, but we are talking about a group of unorganized, undereducated 18 year olds vs. large, well established, legally savvy business institutions. Who will ultimately come out on top? It will be sold as being "in the best interest of the kids," but long term I'd put my money on Power 5 greed.

Look at it like dating. Say you are in the market and you only want to date virgins. Slim pickings my friend. Mrs Couged, and his two daughters, plus the daughters of board members are the only ones left, and not sure you are their type and vice versa.

So to help your dating situation you might want to increase you recruiting base....

Either that or become a shareholder in Jergens....

Biggs has a type?

He comes across more as "whoever's available at closing time and I can drag out of the bar" ... in other words, a man's man.

Also, not following the Jergens reference ... Is that some kind of inside joke, Ed?

Biggs has a type?

He comes across more as "whoever's available at closing time and I can drag out of the bar" ... in other words, a man's man.

Also, not following the Jergens reference ... Is that some kind of inside joke, Ed?

I am not a last call guy.

Ed is a dummy. Ignore his posts. Life is much better.

Biggs has a type?

Pete… YouTube Dave Chappelle and the episode of Trading Spouses… that will help with the Biggs reference

Ahem... it will take more than 7 wins for me to join a circle.

7 wins a year with all that we battle does arouse me though.

Ahem... it will take more than 7 wins for me to join a circle.

7 wins a year with all that we battle does arouse me though.

Didnt you see???

7 wins per year for 10 years gets you a statue! Finally, somewhere the 7-6 circle jerkers can play ring around the rosey.

Every coach makes bad hires. Saban has, Dabo has, Belichek has, Pete Carroll has. The key is moving the F on as soon as you see it’s not to your standards, sunk costs. Dickert took on a program that was running off the tracks and righted things as best he could. I really don’t get the hate. Jury still out? Fine. He’s got two 7 win seasons under pretty challenging circumstances having to take over halfway through a season and deal with a completely different CFB landscape. This is nothing close to CPW 2.0.

If this is about the defensive disaster in the AC I saw Mike Price get beat 51-3 at Martin in the AC. Think it was next year we were in the 2nd RB in 5 years. This stuff happens in CFB. Can’t make a knee jerk reaction every time one side of the ball shits the bed in a game.

Last edited:
Every coach makes bad hires. Saban has, Dabo has, Belichek has, Pete Carroll has. The key is moving the F on as soon as you see it’s not to your standards, sunk costs. Dickert took on a program that was running off the tracks and righted things as best he could. I really don’t get the hate. Jury still out? Fine. He’s got two 7 win seasons under pretty challenging circumstances having to take over halfway through a season and deal with a completely different CFB landscape. This is nothing close to CPW 2.0.

If this is about the defensive disaster in the AC I saw Mike Price get beat 51-3 at Martin in the AC. Think it was next year we were in the 2nd RB in 5 years. This stuff happens in CFB. Can’t make a knee jerk reaction every time one side of the ball shits the bed in a game.
While I agree with most of your sentiment, to be fair...our defense pretty much failed to show up for 3 games. 600+ yards against Oregon, 700+ against UW, and 500+ against Fresno. Basically 1/4 of our games with a completely inept defense. Offensively, we had yards in a couple games that don't reflect the ineptitude of the offense in those games. Oregon State, Utah, and Fresno are the best examples, but they also disappeared for basically the entire 2nd half against USC, ASU, UA, and UW. So, one side or the other was crap for at least half of 8 games...and we only won 2 of them.

Pretty sure that the 51-3 debacle was 2000 season, Rose Bowl #2 was in 2002 season.

And I have never been able to understand why so many people think that the Cougs went to 2 Rose Bowls in 5 seasons- it was two Rose Bowls in 6 (SIX!) seasons.

that sound something like Wullfs " we need 25 5thyear seniors to compete" statement, it has always been difficult to keep up with the SCs and Oregons, A big year for us is maybe 2 or three guys that might go pro

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT