ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon State shocks the world....

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island
41-38

#15 Ducks were somewhat over hyped from Day 1. Good players, but lost to The Beavs ~!

One of the craziest finishes in the Civil War. Good going Jonathan Smith.

Gebbia was in on 2nd down. Ducks would have been better off with the extra time.

The PAC-12 is the NFC East of college football.
It is 2020 and the Pac12's prime hope for a CFP playoff berth has a noodle armed QB who cant throw a football 40 yards even with a running start.

So...what’s Big Joe doing with all that talent on the D-Line? I’d be updating my resume if my guys got blown off the ball like that by F’ing OSU.

They certainly didn't blow us off the ball like that. Maybe some success in the 2nd half...but we didn't get bullied up front.

Oregon got bullied.

So...what’s Big Joe doing with all that talent on the D-Line? I’d be updating my resume if my guys got blown off the ball like that by F’ing OSU.
I guess, trying to teach them how to time a snap count?

Reactions: HCoug
I don’t know how bad the P12 is. What I see so far is that some of the “other” conference teams look decent. WSU, OSU, Colorado, UCLA. UW looks capable of running the table.

Gebbia was in on 2nd down. Ducks would have been better off with the extra time.
Not only that, how could the refs miss the clear offside on Gebbia's second try at a TD? Unfortunately, he got hurt bad on that play. It all worked out best for the Beavs because, as you said, it cost UO another timeout and time off the clock.

Beavers outscored the overhyped Ducks 22-7 in the 4th quarter. UO has not impressed me this year one bit. They got to play Stanford without their #1 QB, the Cougs without our best player (Borghi), and UCLA without their #1 QB. Should have lost the UCLA game (different outcome without the gift pick six at the end of the first half last week) and could've lost to us had we capitalized on our opportunities.

Anyway, congrats to the Beavers. They played well and Jefferson is the real deal.

Glad Cougar

In the old days, it was called ”the Civil War”, Jefferson is great back - he wanted this one. Could not believe the no call Ducks offsides on 3rd & goal, or even the no touchdown call a couple plays earlier. P12 Refs did all they could to preserve UO.

I don’t know how bad the P12 is. What I see so far is that some of the “other” conference teams look decent. WSU, OSU, Colorado, UCLA. UW looks capable of running the table.
If not for the refs making an awful spot on a run by Jefferson, the uw likely loses to OSU. Sure, the uw is capable of running the table, but they are capable of losing a few games as well.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Two things from the Civil war: 1) Oregon isn't very good. 2) They still beat us by two scores despite tripping all over themselves in the first half.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
On some of the message boards, a theme has emerged among many Duck fans to explain why their team lost tonight: Since the CFP has ranked UO so low (#15 in the first poll), it's obvious there was little chance to get into the playoffs, therefore there's no motivation for the Ducks to play hard.

Boy, if that really is the case, then that program has more problems than I thought. Personally, I don't buy it. I just think they have been overhyped and overrated.

Glad Cougar

On some of the message boards, a theme has emerged among many Duck fans to explain why their team lost tonight: Since the CFP has ranked UO so low (#15 in the first poll), it's obvious there was little chance to get into the playoffs, therefore there's no motivation for the Ducks to play hard.

Boy, if that really is the case, then that program has more problems than I thought. Personally, I don't buy it. I just think they have been overhyped and overrated.

Glad Cougar
Cristobal. Cant. Coach.

Theyre an AAU all star team.

What a wild finish.

OSU gets screwed by a non TD call.
UO guy jumps offside by a huge margin and it gets missed.
Refs make the time outs and the clock rules look like it's a clown show.
Starting QB gets injured with one down left and on the one foot line.
UO guy jumps offside again but is penalized about 3 inches closer to the goal line
First play for new QB who runs it in for the first win in the new "non civil" war game.

Good effort by the Beavs. They should be in first place in the North.

41-38

#15 Ducks were somewhat over hyped from Day 1. Good players, but lost to The Beavs ~!

One of the craziest finishes in the Civil War. Good going Jonathan Smith.

This probably impacts whether the Apple Cup gets played ...

It really is true- Oregon has been underachieving for generations. I would love to see a year-by-year analysis of how often they met or exceeded pre-season rankings within the conference. Just too much butter, cheese, craft beer, pinot and weed in the Willamette Valley, I guess. The saying "where All-American's go to get soft" always makes me smile.

Reactions: earldacoug
It really is true- Oregon has been underachieving for generations. I would love to see a year-by-year analysis of how often they met or exceeded pre-season rankings within the conference. Just too much butter, cheese, craft beer, pinot and weed in the Willamette Valley, I guess. The saying "where All-American's go to get soft" always makes me smile.

When you sell luxury to recruits it is hard to then sell them a grinding, all day tough, warrior attitude. They look at their press clippings and stars, they lounge in their $30,000 lockers and work out on their Brazilian hardwood floors, break their arms slapping themselves on the back and figure they should win by getting off the bus.

They spend $ like Alabama and show up on Saturday like Mississippi State. For what Oregon spends on football, with the recruits they get, they wildly underachieve.

Glad Cougar

Glad, if that is true, Cristobal should be fired.

I hope they keep him; less competition for us, though bad for the league to have such an underachiever..

When you sell luxury to recruits it is hard to then sell them a grinding, all day tough, warrior attitude. They look at their press clippings and stars, they lounge in their $30,000 lockers and work out on their Brazilian hardwood floors, break their arms slapping themselves on the back and figure they should win by getting off the bus.

They spend $ like Alabama and show up on Saturday like Mississippi State. For what Oregon spends on football, with the recruits they get, they wildly underachieve.
Don't tell that hype machine OregonLive/Oregonian and the Duck beat reporter, Andrew Nemec:

The naysayers were out in full force after the Oregon Ducks suffered a 41-38 upset loss to the in-state rival Oregon State Beavers.

But Oregon fans shouldn’t worry about the historic 2021 recruiting class, ranked No. 1 in the Pac-12 Conference and No. 4 nationally.

After losing an NFL star quarterback (Justin Herbert), its entire offensive line, the heart-and-soul of the defense (Troy Dye) and three NFL opt-outs in the defensive backfield (Jevon Holland, Thomas Graham Jr. and Brady Breeze), Oregon has one of the youngest contributing rosters in the country.

Oregon has signed the top class in the Pac-12 Conference for the past two years and is poised for a three-peat with the 2021 recruiting class.

That means the Ducks’ elite recruiting classes are true sophomores/redshirt freshmen (2019 class), true freshmen (2020 class) and still-in-high-school seniors (2021 class).

-- Andrew Nemec | anemec@oregonian.com | @AndrewNemec

The thing about college football is that turnover and change is constant. The idea of experience is tough because about the time most kids figure it out, their eligibility is done.

I heard Chun on the radio last week talking about how WSU is a development school. I agree 100%. The kids WSU gets need more cooking.

Tell me, how much cooking do 4 and 5 star kids need to beat 2 and 3 star kids at Oregon State?

Mario has all the resources he needs to win. He is in a league where there might be 2 more schools that spend $ the way his school does.

Hard work beats talent when talent doesnt work hard. Mario and his team spend too much time thinking about how great they are and not enough time making that greatness reality. Oregon is funded to the point where there are 9 other league schools they should be beating by a minimum of 3 touchdowns. They dont. Why is that?

Biggs, you answered your own question.

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

That about sums it up.

Im convinced some of these HC’s couldnt run a mini mart. Why they were hired to run these programs that generate zillions is beyond me.

They are high school PE teachers. Think back to your high school years. Would you hire your old PE teacher to run a P5 football program???

Slick Willie came in with hardnose football and gave his kids rhabdo...

Eugene is a magnet for shit leaders, maybe?

Don't tell that hype machine OregonLive/Oregonian and the Duck beat reporter, Andrew Nemec:

The naysayers were out in full force after the Oregon Ducks suffered a 41-38 upset loss to the in-state rival Oregon State Beavers.

But Oregon fans shouldn’t worry about the historic 2021 recruiting class, ranked No. 1 in the Pac-12 Conference and No. 4 nationally.

After losing an NFL star quarterback (Justin Herbert), its entire offensive line, the heart-and-soul of the defense (Troy Dye) and three NFL opt-outs in the defensive backfield (Jevon Holland, Thomas Graham Jr. and Brady Breeze), Oregon has one of the youngest contributing rosters in the country.

Oregon has signed the top class in the Pac-12 Conference for the past two years and is poised for a three-peat with the 2021 recruiting class.

That means the Ducks’ elite recruiting classes are true sophomores/redshirt freshmen (2019 class), true freshmen (2020 class) and still-in-high-school seniors (2021 class).

Weird - I don't recall 'Bama getting trucked by conference basement dwellers after they graduate/ lose half their team to the NFL every year... Ohio State either.

Gee, I guess Oregon is just speeeeeeecial.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif

I’m pretty sure JW who didn’t make an NFL roster trucked every guy mentioned on this list...on one play.

You almost have to try to be that soft.

I was wondering...and Ed mentioned it via text...how does that Oregon D line get whipped at the line of scrimmage?

I mean, it's not like Oregon State ran spread concepts on them. They played pure smash mouth football...and just won the line of scrimmage with inferior athletes.

That was some serious lunch pail football....and fun as hell to watch

Reactions: HCoug
I was wondering...and Ed mentioned it via text...how does that Oregon D line get whipped at the line of scrimmage?

I mean, it's not like Oregon State ran spread concepts on them. They played pure smash mouth football...and just won the line of scrimmage with inferior athletes.

That was some serious lunch pail football....and fun as hell to watch

You mean to say Oregon State’s blue collar kids punched the rich kids from Oregon in the face and they didnt respond???? Huh.

Reactions: earldacoug
O line work is about coordination, communication, knowing what the other guy is doing so you just have to wory about your assignment, then staying low enough to lever the other guy up and never stop chugging with the legs. And being in better shape than the other guy so he runs out of gas before you do. Of course, there is more than that, but not much more. Getting there is hard work, and the harder you work, the better you do. Based on this game it is pretty obvious that the OSU line worked harder than the UO line. You don't outplay folks, at least along the line, without the hard work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT