ADVERTISEMENT

Oregon

Brent H.

Hall Of Fame
Aug 13, 2001
I look forward to Oregon getting overhyped next year because they return an average QB, below average coaching and a dork of a strength coach. They’ll be ranked top 15 and get blown out by Auburn and we’ll get to hear again about the conference being down because the media gets blinded by a team that was a monster a 1/2 a decade ago.

Reactions: random soul
Thats three different threads that refer to Oregon’s strength coach. Gotta be some kind of record. I’m thinking that’s exactly what that dude is going for.

Maybe this puts to rest the rumor Mastro is some sort of offensive wizard. Guy earns his bucks as a recruiter.

UO backup QB Braxton Burmeister is transferring, leaving redshirt freshman Tyler Shough and incoming freshman Cale Millen as the only QBs on the roster. As has been the case for UO, if something happens to the starting QB (Herbert, in this case), their season could crumble. My main reason for bringing it up is the fact that Burmeister was a 4-star recruit out of HS for the Ducks. A prime example of the overhype of many of their recruits and why stars next to the names don't always mean much. Not bagging on the kid, but he is not a D-1 QB and not as good as John Bledsoe, IMO.

Glad Cougar

I am curious how any observer can know how good Bledsoe is or is not. Outside of the spring game, I have never seen him throw a football in live college action.

Me neither. Same story for Connor Neville. But I did read some comments by Spurrier Jr. who claims that all three Thursday night QBs....Cooper, Bledsoe, and Neville....look very good at times but not always consistent. I have seen Burmeister play, of course, and he's just not a very good passer. Not sure how he became a 4-star, which was my main point.

Glad Cougar

Me neither. Same story for Connor Neville. But I did read some comments by Spurrier Jr. who claims that all three Thursday night QBs....Cooper, Bledsoe, and Neville....look very good at times but not always consistent. I have seen Burmeister play, of course, and he's just not a very good passer. Not sure how he became a 4-star, which was my main point.

Glad Cougar
Speed and arm strength would be my guess.

Glad Cougar
Braxton Burmeister went to La Jolla Country Day in San Diego. A small, very expensive, private school in San Diego. Was talking with a friend who’s daughter was a year behind him (Iowa State guy coincidentally) who said the kid lit up the CIF San Diego Section record book.

Skimming it I notice a few significant accomplishments:
  • #1 Total yards offense - career and season (nearly 50% higher than the next closest guy)
  • #1 passing yards - career and season
  • #1 completions - career and season
  • #1 TDs thrown - career and season
  • #7 TD runs career (#1 Rashaan Salaam, #17 Ricky Williams
  • #8 Points scored career - one spot behind Reggie Bush
  • #2 Team points per season
  • #9 Completion percentage career
  • #12 Completion percentage season
LJCD is a small school so maybe that’s what accounts for the numbers. What I can say is that there are a lot of big names in this PDF (e.g. Marcus Allen). Rashaan Salaam shows up in here 13 times. Reggie Bush 10. Alex Smith and Marcus Allen twice. Braxton Burmeister shows up 33 times. That is nuts.

Say what you will but the ratings out of high school seem warranted.

Last edited:
Thanks for digging up the stats, SD. HIs HS career certainly appears impressive. But for whatever reason, his appearances at UO showed a QB who seemed overwhelmed and had trouble throwing the ball. Admittedly, Taggart/Cristoball limited the playbook when he was in. The real interesting thing is that guys like Minshew and Falk did not have 4 stars by their name and obviously did quite well. I think it was Biggs who said QB is the worst evaluated position in football....or something to that effect.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: SDCoug
I find it unlikely that a kid with that kind of HS resume' is a terrible quarterback. He'd probably just need the right fit in order to show what he could do. That doesn't make him a draft prospect or all conference, but I'm sure he could start in the right offense. Maybe a place like Utah State would have some interest.

UO backup QB Braxton Burmeister is transferring, leaving redshirt freshman Tyler Shough and incoming freshman Cale Millen as the only QBs on the roster. As has been the case for UO, if something happens to the starting QB (Herbert, in this case), their season could crumble. My main reason for bringing it up is the fact that Burmeister was a 4-star recruit out of HS for the Ducks. A prime example of the overhype of many of their recruits and why stars next to the names don't always mean much. Not bagging on the kid, but he is not a D-1 QB and not as good as John Bledsoe, IMO.

Glad Cougar
Maybe Bledsoe should transfer?

I expect Oregon will be a very good P12 team next season. Lots of returning talent; particularly at QB and across the o-line. Solid recruiting classes of late, and a lot of momentum heading into the offseason.

In the P12 North, the Ducks have a lot to confident about. This year, they beat UW, OSU, and Cal, gave away a game to Stanford, and got jumped by us on Game Day weekend, but recovered nicely in the 2nd half of that game. Then they beat Michigan State in their bowl game.

As someone mentioned, keeping Herbert healthy is of course critical, but I wouldn't trash the Ducks heading into next season. They look strong to me.

Reactions: Cougzz
Why Didn’t any of that Materialize in the Red Box Bowl? 7-6 & should have lost.

Chip’s Gone & The Program Left With Him.

Patrol, you do love them Ducks on here however.

Nobody is saying Oregon won't be good. But when media (Oregonian/Oregon Live) run article after article about all these 5-star recruits and even an article on the Ducks' odds of a National Championship next year, they constantly run the risk of being an over-hyped team. There were Duck fans last year already expecting a playoff spot after winning 3 of the easiest OOC games you could ever schedule. Justin Herbert was hailed as a Heisman candidate even though he had not done anything to really earn it. Obviously the mediocre years since Helfich took them to the NC game have not humbled a lot of Duck believers. And it's okay for fans to have high expectations. But I've never seen a program get more hype and less results than UO. They could have an outstanding year as early as 2019, but I sure wouldn't bet on it.

Glad Cougar

Why Didn’t any of that Materialize in the Red Box Bowl? 7-6 & should have lost.

Chip’s Gone & The Program Left With Him.

Patrol, you do love them Ducks on here however.

If Patrol thinks a nw team is going to be good because he looked at the depth and the schedule, should he simply say they suck? Mario C may just get lucky next year and still be a horrible coach. The fact someone thinks a team is going to be good how do you translate that into loving a team? I didn’t love USC from 03-08 but they were good. Does that mean I love USC ?

Last edited:
If Patrol thinks a nw team is going to be good because he looked at the depth and the schedule, should be simply say they suck? Mario C may just get lucky next year and still be a horrible coach. The fact someone thinks a team is going to be good how do you translate that into loving a team? I didn’t love USC from 03-08 but they were good. Does that mean I love USC ?

Those teams were actually winning conference titles, BCS bowl games and national championships (even if they were later taken away). You do understand the concept of actually winning, right?

Since you're a history buff, at best Oregon has gotten closer to where it was under Bellotti- 3rd to 5th place in the conference, going to bowl games on the regular. Oregon's effort against Arizona was pathetic.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Those teams were actually winning conference titles, BCS bowl games and national championships (even if they were later taken away). You do understand the concept of actually winning, right?

Since you're a history buff, at best Oregon has gotten closer to where it was under Bellotti- 3rd to 5th place in the conference, going to bowl games on the regular. Oregon's effort against Arizona was pathetic.

Not sure if your point. Wasn’t WSU below .500 in 1996, and again in 2014? All Patrol said is he thought they would be good ? The Pac 12 is so mediocre they could be one of the better ones of a mediocre lot .

Not sure if your point. Wasn’t WSU below .500 in 1996, and again in 2014? All Patrol said is he thought they would be good ? The Pac 12 is so mediocre they could be one of the better ones of a mediocre lot .

And the conclusion is Ed does not understand the concept of actually winning.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
And the conclusion is Ed does not understand the concept of actually winning.
We didn’t win in 2014. So you think uw is going to win the north again? What a husky suck up . So based on the new year who do you have ahead of Oregon in the north? Uw? Stanford? Osu? WSU ? Cal?

Who do you think Vegas will have odds on favor to win the north?

For the record, I wasn’t agreeing with what any media outlets say. I’m basing my opinion on what I think could happen. We play them in Eugene, and that won’t be an easy game.

Sheesh.

We didn’t win in 2014. So you think uw is going to win the north again? What a husky suck up . So based on the new year who do you have ahead of Oregon in the north? Uw? Stanford? Osu? WSU ? Cal?

Who do you think Vegas will have odds on favor to win the north?

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I expect Oregon will be a very good P12 team next season. Lots of returning talent; particularly at QB and across the o-line. Solid recruiting classes of late, and a lot of momentum heading into the offseason.

In the P12 North, the Ducks have a lot to confident about. This year, they beat UW, OSU, and Cal, gave away a game to Stanford, and got jumped by us on Game Day weekend, but recovered nicely in the 2nd half of that game. Then they beat Michigan State in their bowl game.

As someone mentioned, keeping Herbert healthy is of course critical, but I wouldn't trash the Ducks heading into next season. They look strong to me.
I see the same team next year, same players, same problems.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT