ADVERTISEMENT

Oregonian's Ken Goe predicts Leach will move on

Glad Cougar

Hall Of Fame
Apr 2, 2003
Aberdeen SD
Leach hater Ken Goe is at it again. This time with sort of a back-handed compliment but more likely a dig at what he perceives as a lack of loyalty or love by Leach for WSU. Maybe he's right, but my guess is he also would like to plant some seeds of doubt among WSU would-be recruits. Maybe he just wants to continue being a jerk. He may be just in a lousy mood because the Ducks & Beavers seasons haven't gone the way he wanted.

Here's a quote from his latest article:

Washington State coach Mike Leach tried his darndest to get out of Pullman last year, and very nearly landed the Tennessee job.

I think he'll jump this year. Somebody will look seriously at Washington State's record and the disadvantages a WSU coach labors under and come after him.

I don't believe Leach ever had an intention of retiring as the Cougars' coach. WSU was a convenient spot to land when he needed a job, and then-athletic director Bill Moos was willing to break the bank to offer him one.

He caught lightning in a bottle this season with grad-transfer quarterback Gardner Minshew. It's a one-year fix. Leach won't ever be as hot as he is now, and knows it.

Full article

Glad Cougar

Wow. That's some objective reporting right there.
What a fool.

Leach hater Ken Goe is at it again. This time with sort of a back-handed compliment but more likely a dig at what he perceives as a lack of loyalty or love by Leach for WSU. Maybe he's right, but my guess is he also would like to plant some seeds of doubt among WSU would-be recruits. Maybe he just wants to continue being a jerk. He may be just in a lousy mood because the Ducks & Beavers seasons haven't gone the way he wanted.

Washington State coach Mike Leach tried his darndest to get out of Pullman last year, and very nearly landed the Tennessee job.

I think he'll jump this year. Somebody will look seriously at Washington State's record and the disadvantages a WSU coach labors under and come after him.

I don't believe Leach ever had an intention of retiring as the Cougars' coach. WSU was a convenient spot to land when he needed a job, and then-athletic director Bill Moos was willing to break the bank to offer him one.

He caught lightning in a bottle this season with grad-transfer quarterback Gardner Minshew. It's a one-year fix. Leach won't ever be as hot as he is now, and knows it.

Full article

Glad Cougar
This is a pattern in the Portland media. This morning I heard on sports talk radio that Justin Willcox will likely move on from Cal. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. But there is a 100% chance that if a competing coach does better than they expect, the Portland media will spread the "he's certain to leave" rumors.

Full article

Glad Cougar

Well, if you predict Leach will leave every year, eventually you will be right. Leach will retire or leave someday. It's inevitable.

I just don't understand the fascination with the media and others predicting his departure. Why isn't Goe predicting Cristobal will be going somewhere? Because Oregon has underachieved? Or Taggart before for him? Or Kelly before both of them? Or Riley at Oregon State?

I bet Goe hasn't ever spoken 5 words to Mike Leach. Leach wouldn't give him the time of day. His opinion on the subject isn't worth the paper he writes it on.

Ken Goe is nothing but a Phil Knight whore masquerading as a columnist/journalist. And what part of 36-14 over the past 3 and 3/4 seasons does this Ken doll not get? Leach has been winning awhile even without Minshew. And how does Phil's Goefer know that Cooper and Cruz aren't more lightning in a bottle? This guy is obsessed with Leach.

Goe has predicted and said a lot of things about Leach over the years. Not any of them have come true or been true.

Reactions: Cougatron
Why a Blue Blood won’t take a flyer:

1) Leach refuses to kneel to Boosters.
2) Continued lawsuit against Texas Tech
3) Continued lambasting of Texas Tech Regents (horrible reputation).
4) Personal friend of Trump.
5) Known as being very hard on players.
6) Fairly large buyout. He wont be cheap.
7) Body of work is good, not great. No history of NY6 bowls or conference championships.

I just don’t see him getting a Blue Blood offer. IMO, It’s what it would take to get him to move on from a school that absolutely adores him.

What a jackass. He would have, and probably did, say last year was Leach's best chance to get out of town, too, given the factors we all know about with graduating players, coaches moving on, etc. This is just pure uninformed speculation without any depth or knowledge at all.

I haven't spent any time talking to Coach Leach. But, I do know people that have. Coach Leach loves Pullman and is not looking to leave. He could leave, as anyone could leave under the right circumstances.

But. next years team is loaded and Coach Leach knows that. The facilities are not the worst in the conference any more. He is not being underpaid like many past outstanding coaches.

This isn't your mother's Pullman or WSU anymore. Of course, Goe is stuck in his old way of thinking.

What jobs are open now or could open soon that are better???

Why go down the ladder?

Why make a lateral move?

Why go to either of those scenarios only to start over again with a rebuild..... just as things are getting good at WSU???

If a blue blooded program does open, will he be a fit??? Will they be ok with him showing up to the office at 11am??? There are things you can do at WSU that will not fly in a lotttttt of other places.

If you wanna coach in the big game, what path is similar to the Rose Bowl and the playoff???

Reactions: acgcoug
I haven't spent any time talking to Coach Leach. But, I do know people that have. Coach Leach loves Pullman and is not looking to leave. He could leave, as anyone could leave under the right circumstances.

But. next years team is loaded and Coach Leach knows that. The facilities are not the worst in the conference any more. He is not being underpaid like many past outstanding coaches.

This isn't your mother's Pullman or WSU anymore. Of course, Goe is stuck in his old way of thinking.

Excellent points.

He's even stated this year that this is probably the most fun he has ever had coaching. Why would he leave at his age to an "unknown situation" when so many of the kids that have given him this much fun are coming back next year? Not to mention Pullman/WSU adores him and will continue to.

Excellent points.

He's even stated this year that this is probably the most fun he has ever had coaching. Why would he leave at his age to an "unknown situation" when so many of the kids that have given him this much fun are coming back next year? Not to mention Pullman/WSU adores him and will continue to.
Yeah looking back it’s not entirely surprising he had his feelers out last year. New AD, new president, falling short of conference title again, etc. He seems to really be enjoying himself this year and this team looks loaded for a nice run. Also seems as though there’s a lot of enthusiasm for the program and appreciation shown from Chun and Schultz (although they are not liked by some I know).

Yeah looking back it’s not entirely surprising he had his feelers out last year. New AD, new president, falling short of conference title again, etc. He seems to really be enjoying himself this year and this team looks loaded for a nice run. Also seems as though there’s a lot of enthusiasm for the program and appreciation shown from Chun and Schultz (although they are not liked by some I know).

Chun was one of the first to shake hands w/Leach on the field @ Colorado.
Gotta believe both he and Schultz recognize how important it is to keep this program intact and focused on raising money instead of seeking new coaches.

Why go down the ladder?

Why make a lateral move?

Why go to either of those scenarios only to start over again with a rebuild..... just as things are getting good at WSU???

If a blue blooded program does open, will he be a fit??? Will they be ok with him showing up to the office at 11am??? There are things you can do at WSU that will not fly in a lotttttt of other places.

If you wanna coach in the big game, what path is similar to the Rose Bowl and the playoff???

On my post about my interaction with a Texas Tech grad late last week.....I mentioned that from a Tech fan's perspective, Leach only gets antsy when he felt like he was in a situation where others were trying to get him to do something he didn't want to do.....and to some degree......logic be damned. When you think about it, Leach values academics and should want students to go to class instead of skipping to get good seats. Because the AD demanded that he do something rather than ask him to help out, he was thinking, "F U".....and bought the students pizza. Who knows if Leach will ever leave and I hope that Chun and Schulz make sure to keep him as happy as they can, but he's not someone who will appeal to every school's administration and fanbase.

I think the only reason that Leach would leave would be for geography, a different climate, and/or because his wife and family want him to. Those are factors that none of us are aware of.

There actually was no AD when the Leach/ Tenn deal was being speculated. Leach also had not received a contract renewal at the time.
I think both of those points were highly important at the time.

Last edited:
I think the only reason that Leach would leave would be for geography, a different climate, and/or because his wife and family want him to. Those are factors that none of us are aware of.

His relationship or lack thereof with the administration would be the reason he leaves.

Leach has a new contract and a seemingly decent relationship with Schulz and Chun.

There actually was no AD when the Leach/ Tenn deal was being speculated. Leach also not received a contract renewal at the time.
I think both of those points were highly important at the time.

And the AD that hired Leach had just bailed for Nebraska, which seemed to be a total shock to everyone. Leach's old contract automatically extended for one year unless either party opted out. But, he was due for a new contract after three straight bowls.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4

Why go down the ladder?

Why make a lateral move?

I hate to say it, but Riley at Oklahoma has had his name mentioned for the Browns and Cowboy jobs. Oklahoma scares me... He has a history there; they have players that fit his system, they have $$$$$$, big time recruiting area,

There was a lot made of his relationship with Chun & Schulz immediately after Moos left, obviously; but I haven't heard anything negative buzzing around from the limited number of people "in the know" who I've spoken with.

I hate to say it, but Riley at Oklahoma has had his name mentioned for the Browns and Cowboy jobs. Oklahoma scares me... He has a history there; they have players that fit his system, they have $$$$$$, big time recruiting area,
Does the name Kelvin Sampson ring a bell?

Riley ain’t going to the NFL. Would be stupid for him to do so unless he thinks he’s Sean McVay. Who knows I guess but I doubt it. Thing is college coaches at programs like Oklahoma are approaching the same $$ that NFL coaches make. And they can make that money with huge advantages over their competition where the NFL is built on parity.

Reactions: Cougzz
Riley ain’t going to the NFL. Would be stupid for him to do so unless he thinks he’s Sean McVay. Who knows I guess but I doubt it. Thing is college coaches at programs like Oklahoma are approaching the same $$ that NFL coaches make. And they can make that money with huge advantages over their competition where the NFL is built on parity.
I have heard this rumor before. Some coaches want challenges and the NFL is the highest level. It is not as if Riley is a lifelong Sooner. Plus, the NFL is all football. There is no recruiting and he would not have to to deal with a school administration, nor would he have to glad-hand with rich alumni.

It is the Brown’s. You wanna go from winning darn near every game to losing darn near every game?

I have heard this rumor before. Some coaches want challenges and the NFL is the highest level. It is not as if Riley is a lifelong Sooner. Plus, the NFL is all football. There is no recruiting and he would not have to to deal with a school administration, nor would he have to glad-hand with rich alumni.
Yup, one rich guy and that's the owner. The Cowboy's make more sense to me than the Browns but Jerry Jones might be worse than an entire booster base to handle.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
It’s also a revolving carousel of 30 jobs where every owner and its fan base thinks you should be in the playoffs every year and the super bowl every other year.

I’m sure Saban would love to win a Super Bowl but there’s a reason he stays at Bama. His chances of crapping out in a couple years in the NFL are about 30X more likely than winning a SB. Why leave when you are making the same scratch with every inherent advantage conceivable.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
It’s also a revolving carousel of 30 jobs where every owner and its fan base thinks you should be in the playoffs every year and the super bowl every other year.

I’m sure Saban would love to win a Super Bowl but there’s a reason he stays at Bama. His chances of crapping out in a couple years in the NFL are about 30X more likely than winning a SB. Why leave when you are making the same scratch with every inherent advantage conceivable.
Why did Saban go to the NFL in the first place? Kelly? Erickson? O'Brien? Petrino?

You are telling us reasons why you think he would or should stay. Your reasons may not be as important to Riley. Just like all college football players ultimate goal is the NFL, many coaches in college want the challenge of the NFL as well. Heck, Mike Zimmer left being the DC at WSU to be just a defensive backs coach in the NFL.

None of us know what is the ultimate goal of any person.

Reactions: Coug90
Why did Saban go to the NFL in the first place? Kelly? Erickson? O'Brien? Petrino?

You are telling us reasons why you think he would or should stay. Your reasons may not be as important to Riley. Just like all college football players ultimate goal is the NFL, many coaches in college want the challenge of the NFL as well. Heck, Mike Zimmer left being the DC at WSU to be just a defensive backs coach in the NFL.

Especially for a coach. Hard to get in a coaches head and Leach isn't the typical coach so I would think that's especially the case for him.

Truth...my opinion

Sounds an awful lot like a guy who’s holding back tears because his team get their asses repeatedly kicked by WSU. God I love stuff like this.
Exactly. It's his way of saying...."boy I wish Leach would leave WSU and they'd stop beating us". Could you imagine if Leach were at Oregon State? Wishful thinking has a way of creeping into their "journalism".

Chun was one of the first to shake hands w/Leach on the field @ Colorado.

Chun should have been up in the Cougar section shaking hands with the fans (current and potential donors) instead of being on the field.

The thing I see against Oklahoma is the booster and media attention. Leach isn’t into either one. Granted, the spotlight at OU doesn’t seem to be quite as bright and focused as at most SEC schools, Texas, USC, Notre Dame, and some others. Still a place where 9-4 is considered a bad season though.

The thing I see against Oklahoma is the booster and media attention. Leach isn’t into either one. Granted, the spotlight at OU doesn’t seem to be quite as bright and focused as at most SEC schools, Texas, USC, Notre Dame, and some others. Still a place where 9-4 is considered a bad season though.
I hope you are right

Why a Blue Blood won’t take a flyer:

1) Leach refuses to kneel to Boosters.
2) Continued lawsuit against Texas Tech
3) Continued lambasting of Texas Tech Regents (horrible reputation).
4) Personal friend of Trump.
5) Known as being very hard on players.
6) Fairly large buyout. He wont be cheap.
7) Body of work is good, not great. No history of NY6 bowls or conference championships.

I just don’t see him getting a Blue Blood offer. IMO, It’s what it would take to get him to move on from a school that absolutely adores him.

8) hires PI’s to investigate previous employer. That’s always great on a resume.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT