ADVERTISEMENT

Oregonian's Ken Goe ranks the coaches 1-12

Glad Cougar

Hall Of Fame
Apr 2, 2003
Aberdeen SD
It should come as no surprise that CML doesn't rank very high on Goe's list of best-to-worst coaches in the Pac-12. Ahead of Leach, in his order, are Peterson, Shaw, Kelly, Helton (?!), Whittingham, Wilcox, and Sumlin. Here's his smartass review of Leach:

8. Mike Leach, Washington State
Record as a head coach: 122-81.

Record at Washington State: 38-38.

The skinny: Leach gets lots of positive attention because of a quirky, pass-heavy offense that piles up glossy statistics, and for off-the-wall interviews that mostly seem employed to avoid talking about his program.

He has strung together a 19-8 conference record over the past three season, which isn't bad. But his offense is decidedly less effective when defenses have time to prepare, as Leach's 1-4 record in his last five bowl appearances attests.

Mike Price did more at WSU with less, winning 10 games three times and taking the Cougars to the Rose Bowl twice. Currently, Leach is unarguably no better than the second-best FBS coach in the state.

-0-

Of course, there are only two FBS coaches in the state....so Ken obviously finds himself amusing. I actually expected him to put Leach below Cristobal and Smith, both of whom he wrote nice things about. Nothing to be bothered about, it's just annoying.

Glad Cougar

It should come as no surprise that CML doesn't rank very high on Goe's list of best-to-worst coaches in the Pac-12. Ahead of Leach, in his order, are Peterson, Shaw, Kelly, Helton (?!), Whittingham, Wilcox, and Sumlin. Here's his smartass review of Leach:

The skinny: Leach gets lots of positive attention because of a quirky, pass-heavy offense that piles up glossy statistics, and for off-the-wall interviews that mostly seem employed to avoid talking about his program.

He has strung together a 19-8 conference record over the past three season, which isn't bad. But his offense is decidedly less effective when defenses have time to prepare, as Leach's 1-4 record in his last five bowl appearances attests.

Mike Price did more at WSU with less, winning 10 games three times and taking the Cougars to the Rose Bowl twice. Currently, Leach is unarguably no better than the second-best FBS coach in the state.

-0-

Of course, there are only two FBS coaches in the state....so Ken obviously finds himself amusing. I actually expected him to put Leach below Cristobal and Smith, both of whom he wrote nice things about. Nothing to be bothered about, it's just annoying.

Glad Cougar

F him. And Price won 10 games twice, not 3 times. And it took him 9 years to get his first 10 game win season. And Price was 3-11 in Apple Cups, 2-4 in his first 6 years. statistically not much better than 1-5. With an 8 win and a 9 win season in his first 6 years, both including a bowl win so CML has done much better during the season. And CMP took over a 9-3 team.

-0-

Glad Cougar
Below Helton, Sumlin, and Wilcox? Actually, why would Cristobal and Smith be above MacIntyre? Wonder what was his criteria?

Last edited:
Actually, Price did win 10 games 3x, but your point is well taken. Ken Goe simply doesn't hide his unreasonable disdain for Leach and challenges anyone who tries to say good things about CML. Check out the comment section on his article:

Goe hates Leach

Actually, Price did win 10 games 3x, but your point is well taken. Ken Goe simply doesn't hide his unreasonable disdain for Leach and challenges anyone who tries to say good things about CML. Check out the comment section on his article:

Goe hates Leach
Interpretation: Kelly is God and they don't have him. Any coach at uo is at least better than the coach at OSU. Leach beat us again and that sticks in his intestines. Getting beat by Colorado in 2016' left a Buffalo boner somewhere deep....see intestine. Wishful thinking can only take place outside the reality of the college season.

Ken Goe is a pathetic donk. He has a personal vendetta against Leach and doesn't hide it. I have had some ridiculous back and forth with him.

If Goe worked for the Spokesman, he would be the worst sports reporter in the city, and arguably the state. And that includes Blanchette, which gives you a pretty good idea of Goe's talent level.

Nothing to see here; move along.

F him. And Price won 10 games twice, not 3 times. And it took him 9 years to get his first 10 game win season. And Price was 3-11 in Apple Cups, 2-4 in his first 6 years. statistically not much better than 1-5. With an 8 win and a 9 win season in his first 6 years, both including a bowl win so CML has done much better during the season. And CMP took over a 9-3 team.

1997, 2001 and 2002 were all 10 win seasons.

-0-

Glad Cougar

Seems a little premature to name Wilcox as better than Leach. He may end up being better. Maybe he's counting head-to-head only in that comparison. Ha.

-0-

Glad Cougar

I think the preferable way to look at this is take the coach's winning percentage as a D-1 coach and compare to historical winning percentage at the school they are coaching (say...over the past 20 years give or take).

Seems a little premature to name Wilcox as better than Leach. He may end up being better. Maybe he's counting head-to-head only in that comparison. Ha.
He won't. Not at Kal, anyway. Kal is Kal, and recently they've shown zero interest in winning football games (from the administration). The got lucky with Tedford, got him at a bargain and when his stock rose he left, as he should have. The ONLY thing that keeps Kal relevant is they have 85 scholarships and are located in a talent rich area.

What a joke this whole thing is.

Here's the real list.

Petersen
Leach
Shaw
Kelly (could move up but we have to see what he does at UCLA)
Helton (Done decently in 1 year could move up or down quickly)
Kyle Whittingham
McIntyre
Sumlin (No body of work in the Pac-12, but has shown moderate success elsewhere could move up, could move down)
Wilcox (1 year losing season, has opportunity to move up)
Cristobal (No Power 5 HC experience, coached 1 game lost to boise)
Jonathan Smith (No experience to base success on)
Herm Edwards (No body of work in over a decade)

Reactions: Tx64
Is it this?

636009141746501619-AP-GOP-2016-Trump-001.jpg

I'm not a political expert by any means, but it seems in this day and age some might like or dislike CML because of his outspokenness in that realm.

Really don't understand such a low ranking for a highly successful coach.

Is it this?

636009141746501619-AP-GOP-2016-Trump-001.jpg

I'm not a political expert by any means, but it seems in this day and age some might like or dislike CML because of his outspokenness in that realm.

Really don't understand such a low ranking for a highly successful coach.

It should be said that CML has not said anythign about Trump since the election (and I think this appearance was before the tape of Trump's disgusting pigness came out). A reporter asked CML the last time he''d talked to Trump and he said at that appearance.

It should be said that CML has not said anythign about Trump since the election (and I think this appearance was before the tape of Trump's disgusting pigness came out). A reporter asked CML the last time he''d talked to Trump and he said at that appearance.

I was reading up on the class action law suit against Google for discrimination (against a white, conservative, male...) and the binary thought process of the liberal left is either you're with us or your are a racist, misogynist, bigot. No shades of gray, no discussion of topics, no give and take, no "let me show you why you're wrong", its just "you disagree with our echo chamber and now you should rot in hell." That is no exaggeration.

The reason I bring that up is that is how much of our society is functioning or being groomed to function. In a liberal Oregon media, I am sure that due to his conservative leanings, Leach is categorically labelled a racist, misogynist bigot because he (at one time) supported Trump.

FWIW the local sports radio guys all love him, to one extent or another.

Last edited:
I was reading up on the class action law suit against Google for discrimination (against a white, conservative, male...) and the binary thought process of the liberal left is either you're with us or your are a racist, misogynist, bigot. No shades of gray, no discussion of topics, no give and take, no "let me show you why you're wrong", its just "you disagree with our echo chamber and now you should rot in hell." That is no exaggeration.

The reason I bring that up is that is how much of our society is functioning or being groomed to function. In a liberal Oregon media, I am sure that due to his conservative leanings, Trump is categorically labelled a racist, misogynist bigot because he (at one time) supported Trump.

No it's not. You are doing exactly what you accuse liberals of doing, except on the other side.

Reactions: Tx64
First hand I know that Goe does not like Leach. I had a discussion with him in the comment section of one of his articles in Leach's second year. He was going on and on how the players hated him. He is wrong on a lot of facts. Also, Leach was 5-2 in his last seven bowl games while at TTU. His last team also won the bowl game, but he had been fired before that game. So, his last eight teams went 6-2.

His bowl record at WSU is an anomaly. It will even out.

Leach couldn't care less what Goe thinks. I agree, but in is slow time of year, it is something to discuss.

no. youre wrong and once again fail at reading comprehension.
Show me all the times I have failed at reading comprehension. I stand by my statement. The left is not anything like you think it is. The right is not anything like a lot of people is either. You tell me I am wrong. How so?

The reason I bring that up is that is how much of our society is functioning or being groomed to function. In a liberal Oregon media, I am sure that due to his conservative leanings, Trump is categorically labelled a racist, misogynist bigot because he (at one time) supported Trump.

Trump is a racist misogynist bigot, Leach is not, as far as I know and outside of some grousing at the time of his trump statement I've heard nothing in that regard since. take it from a liberal lefty

Trump is a racist misogynist bigot, Leach is not, as far as I know and outside of some grousing at the time of his trump statement I've heard nothing in that regard since. take it from a liberal lefty

Longtime is a racist misogynist bigot. So is Loyal.

See how easy that was? Slandering others is never a good thing.

Truth.

The most intolerant people I know are the ones who just a few years ago were preaching tolerance. Self-righteousness takes on many forms.
True enough—those that don’t see the hypocrisy of the stereotypical comments made by extremists on both sides puts those people squarely into the extremist category that they so loudly criticize and claim disdain for.

Reactions: Coug95man2

The reason I bring that up is that is how much of our society is functioning or being groomed to function. In a liberal Oregon media, I am sure that due to his conservative leanings, Leach is categorically labelled a racist, misogynist bigot because he (at one time) supported Trump.

Well I will weigh in on this on a slow Saturday. Not familiar with the Google thing. But, what is similar these days is the with hunt against "harassers". Whenever anyone tries to make a distinction between sexual assault and actual harassment vs. common perhaps inappropriate but lesser behavior, they are shouted down. Even women like Catherine Deneuve are blasted for suggesting a difference between truly bad behavior and relatively innocent amorous male behavior. The Ansari (sp?) thing is a good example. Was he a bit piggy and perhaps insistent? Yeah. Did the girl consensually get naked and sit on his kitchen counter? Yes. Did he force himself on her? No. As one commenter said, when you voluntarily get naked in front of a man, he is going to want to have sex with you, and probably assume you are OK with it too. But he is skewered in the press, and anyone who defends him gets skewered.

On the flip side, our POS POTUS just got a "mulligan" from right wing religious groups for his clearly atrocious past behavior and comments because he currently supports their anti-everything agenda. Anyone who presses the issues gets blasted by the right wing and the White House media people.

So yeah, both sides are equally wrong. There is no longer any room for intelligent discourse or valid differences of opinion. There is no gray anymore. Just black and white. Or red and blue.

Back to football - CML still gets labeled as an abuser for the Adam James thing even though it was recanted in writing. BS. So he (foolishly IMHO) supports Trump well before the real dirt hits the fan, and has done or said nothing in support of him since. But he will be labeled forever as a bad man by the left.

How_did_this_happen? said:
Longtime is a racist misogynist bigot. So is Loyal.

See how easy that was? Slandering others is never a good thing.

I slandered nobody, telling the truth is not slander

I was assuming that this post was made in jest.......

Well I will weigh in on this on a slow Saturday. Not familiar with the Google thing. But, what is similar these days is the with hunt against "harassers". Whenever anyone tries to make a distinction between sexual assault and actual harassment vs. common perhaps inappropriate but lesser behavior, they are shouted down. Even women like Catherine Deneuve are blasted for suggesting a difference between truly bad behavior and relatively innocent amorous male behavior. The Ansari (sp?) thing is a good example. Was he a bit piggy and perhaps insistent? Yeah. Did the girl consensually get naked and sit on his kitchen counter? Yes. Did he force himself on her? No. As one commenter said, when you voluntarily get naked in front of a man, he is going to want to have sex with you, and probably assume you are OK with it too. But he is skewered in the press, and anyone who defends him gets skewered.

On the flip side, our POS POTUS just got a "mulligan" from right wing religious groups for his clearly atrocious past behavior and comments because he currently supports their anti-everything agenda. Anyone who presses the issues gets blasted by the right wing and the White House media people.

So yeah, both sides are equally wrong. There is no longer any room for intelligent discourse or valid differences of opinion. There is no gray anymore. Just black and white. Or red and blue.

Back to football - CML still gets labeled as an abuser for the Adam James thing even though it was recanted in writing. BS. So he (foolishly IMHO) supports Trump well before the real dirt hits the fan, and has done or said nothing in support of him since. But he will be labeled forever as a bad man by the left.

When I vote for President, I don't vote for a saint. I vote for whoever will institute Conservatism. I like freedom and liberty. It's a beautiful thing. I like lower taxes too.

I'm not into identity politics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT