ADVERTISEMENT

OT Question for you RV'ers...

rufffrider

All Conference
Apr 16, 2006
I’ve got a good friend that owns a picturesque farmstead on the Palouse a couple miles north of Genesee, ID (35 minute drive to Wazzu). 10-20 acres in size, she raises a couple horses, has an outdoor arena and 3 separate pastures. She’s pondering setting an area up to handle 4 – 6 RVs, and taking part of 1 of her pastures to do that. She’s unsure which market to set it up for, so thought I’d throw this out here and see what kind of feedback I can gather for her from those of you here that actively use RVs.

One option is to set the area up for dry camping (no utilities) and rent space to folks that come in for a couple days at a time (horse people or Wazzu // U of I football fans), a second option is to set it up for dry camping and RV storage, a third would be to add utilities and set it up for seasonal use (football season or summer/fall getaway for horse people), and a fourth would be to add utilities and set it up for long term space rental (catering to construction workers, etc...). Which market she chooses to chase would dictate which pasture she’d steal space from, as well as her $$ investment to set it up. Thoughts?

LOL. I think one of the motives here is to help offset the funds spent supporting her "horse habit". More horses would probably be more fun (though getting the right combination of 5 or 6 Coug RVs parked there for the football season kinda has FUN written all over it, too.)

Ok. New plan.

Build big barn. One side stables for more horses. The other side private tavern. Outside rv spaces.

More horses, rv spaces, private Cougar tavern by invite only. Offer smoked meats, kegs of beer, various beer drinking games. The rv spaces and membership dues pay for barn and more horses.

I like it. Go BIG or go home...

Actually, she's got a cool, old classic barn that fits that bill nicely -- great party space that she's held parties in before. 50 yards from the most likely RV pad location, and easiest to get utilities to.)

If we're adding meat into the mix, then I'm in. (Finishing some homemade pastrami with 4 hrs of smoke on the grill right now for part of my Sunday pasttime.)

Outdoor smokers, kegs of beer, cocktails. Add big tvs for pre and post game. Fire pit and cigars or joints for late night.

Drive in Thursday for trail rides.

You’re welcome.

I like it. Go BIG or go home...

Actually, she's got a cool, old classic barn that fits that bill nicely -- great party space that she's held parties in before. 50 yards from the most likely RV pad location, and easiest to get utilities to.)

If we're adding meat into the mix, then I'm in. (Finishing some homemade pastrami with 4 hrs of smoke on the grill right now for part of my Sunday pasttime.)
Genesee is a bit far for this idea. A similar spot between Palouse and Pullman does the same thing (dry RV camping). 7 miles from the stadium. They get a bunch of RV's.

But the bigger questions are:
Is she cute?
How old is she? Not that I care, I like girls of all ages
Is she attached/married?
If no, does she want a nice man who will shovel stalls and do other things?

Go as big and large as you can go, as the County and permits will allow, assuming she has the financial resources, or will there be a bank or hard money loan involved?

If she has the resources, go for all of the above.

But, “it depends “. Without walking the property , knowing what barriers, or permit and building requirements the County will require, surveys, drainage, etc, and meeting the Seller/Operator, discussing the finances with an accountant or the financial risk factors, how can anyone give appropriate or prudent advice?

Last edited:
Go as big and large as you can go, as the County and permits will allow, assuming she has the financial resources, or will there be a bank or hard money loan involved?

But, “it depends “. Without walking the property , knowing what barriers, or permit and building requirements the County will require, surveys, drainage, etc, and meeting the Seller/Operator, discussing the finances with an accountant or the financial risk factors, how can anyone give appropriate or prudent advice?

Why would you ruin this by asking permission?

This board is hardly the place for appropriate or prudent advice 😁

Mainly looking for opinions from RV users here as to what they look for in an RV spot. Dry camping and 2-3 day stays, utilities and long term, close access to Pullman, peace and quiet setting, ...

Mainly looking for opinions from RV users here as to what they look for in an RV spot. Dry camping and 2-3 day stays, utilities and long term, close access to Pullman, peace and quiet setting, ...
We used to be avid RV people with a travel trailer.

Dry camping is fine, when there are no utility hookups. There of course needs to be, at the minimum, fresh water, to fill the fresh water tank.

Remember, most registered guests are short term stays, Thursday-Sunday, so dry camping is absolutely fine.

Last edited:
If there’s food and beer, Coug fans will tolerate the distance.

Making electrical plug-ins available will reduce the need for generators running at all hours…especially when it’s cold in October-November.

Check with the insurance agent about all of it. She doesn’t want to have someone owning her horses because they got drunk & fell down.

Making electrical plug-ins available will reduce the need for generators running at all hours…especially when it’s cold in October-November.

Check with the insurance agent about all of it. She doesn’t want to have someone owning her horses because they got drunk & fell down.

How much are the horses drinking?

Disagree about the generators.

Most all portable generators made the past 20 years are very quiet, especially Honda. You can hear them, but they are so quiet, and not obnoxious. Plus, nobody is going to run them at 3am, out of courtesy for their neighbors.

And if its cold, you're using your propane tanks that run your thermostat and heater inside. You don't need a generator to run your propane heater.

You need a generator to run Satellite TV/Roku/Streaming device. The inverter takes care of the interior and exterior lights. That's it.

The stove, hot water, refrigerator/freezer and the cabin heaters all are generated from your propane tanks. Dry camping.

Last edited:
Genesee is a bit far for this idea. A similar spot between Palouse and Pullman does the same thing (dry RV camping). 7 miles from the stadium. They get a bunch of RV's.

But the bigger questions are:
Is she cute?
How old is she? Not that I care, I like girls of all ages
Is she attached/married?
If no, does she want a nice man who will shovel stalls and do other things?
LOL. She's single, very cute, and very fun. (My gut feeling is she's also very happy being single.) But I'll ask on your behalf and let you know if she's in need of and/or taking interviews for stable boys, farm help, boy toys, ...

Thanks for the feedback so far -- all very good to know. Setting up for dry camping is obviously the easiest and least expensive, so good to know that's not a show stopper. Interestingly enough, we talked about most of the other ideas thrown out here (short of Loyal's interest) when she first asked me about how she could incorporate something like this in one of her pastures -- fresh water for refilling tanks, existing barn as a great room for evening parties, outdoor firepit, and shuttle service to/from games, ... are all relatively easy to do and achievable with minimal effort. Permanent water, power, and sewer hookup take a bit more effort and investment.

Thanks for the feedback so far -- all very good to know. Setting up for dry camping is obviously the easiest and least expensive, so good to know that's not a show stopper. Interestingly enough, we talked about most of the other ideas thrown out here (short of Loyal's interest) when she first asked me about how she could incorporate something like this in one of her pastures -- fresh water for refilling tanks, existing barn as a great room for evening parties, outdoor firepit, and shuttle service to/from games, ... are all relatively easy to do and achievable with minimal effort. Permanent water, power, and sewer hookup take a bit more effort and investment.
IMHO, power and water are the 2 things. Sewer is a bonus.

LOL. She's single, very cute, and very fun. (My gut feeling is she's also very happy being single.) But I'll ask on your behalf and let you know if she's in need of and/or taking interviews for stable boys, farm help, boy toys, ...
I'm not kidding. Would love to get back home. Trying to figure out how to IM you but I'm not a paying subscriber anymore. I'll sign back up if Sis has interest. I'm not ugly............

I'm not kidding. Would love to get back home. Trying to figure out how to IM you but I'm not a paying subscriber anymore. I'll sign back up if Sis has interest. I'm not ugly............
I'm in the same boat as you regarding messaging. Doesnt matter though, as I called her last night to BS with her about her potential RV project and my instinct was right. She's quite happy with her status quo these days and pretty determined to maintain it. I'm pretty sure you can cross her off your list.

Whoa. You are ugly. C’mon, don’t pretend you’re pretty on the internet.

I'm in the same boat as you regarding messaging. Doesnt matter though, as I called her last night to BS with her about her potential RV project and my instinct was right. She's quite happy with her status quo these days and pretty determined to maintain it. I'm pretty sure you can cross her off your list.

LC doesn’t know how to win a cowgirl’s heart.

First, diesel truck.
Second, horse trailer.
Third, he drives her and her horse all over.
Fourth, now he is a buckle bunny.

LC doesn’t know how to win a cowgirl’s heart.

First, diesel truck.
Second, horse trailer.
Third, he drives her and her horse all over.
Fourth, now he is a buckle bunny.
It's Idaho. She already has the first and second.

It's Idaho. She already has the first and second.

Then he needs to get a bigger diesel truck and a bigger horse trailer. And to seal the deal…. a corgi. Or if she is really hardcore cowgirl, an Idaho Shag.

See you at the Ford Center LC!

She dodged a bullet.

Damn, this woman is special!

Followup question to those of you that use your RVs for Coug games: are football games your primary use of the trailers during the fall, or do you tend to still use them for camping, etc??? I'm curious if people would tend to want to leave them on site and set up for the season (simplifying the trips over) or if they'd more likely to tow back and forth each weekend?

Followup question to those of you that use your RVs for Coug games: are football games your primary use of the trailers during the fall, or do you tend to still use them for camping, etc??? I'm curious if people would tend to want to leave them on site and set up for the season (simplifying the trips over) or if they'd more likely to tow back and forth each weekend?

My wife and I were actually in New York City, Manhattan during 911. I saw and witnessed, on the ground, the Towers in flames, but our hotel was in Times Square. Since we were grounded, we had to rent a car and drive home. Was blown away with the natural resources on the ground, (not man-made attractions, like Disney). Once we got home from our 3,000 mile road trip, we were inspired to go to the RV show that fall of 2001 in the Seattle Kingdome.

In 2002, we bought our '03 Travel Trailer. Had a large COUGHEAD LOGO vinyl lettering installed in crimson on the back of the trailer. Very few did this. It looked amazing. We pulled it over and back, Thursday thru Sunday for the first football season for every home game....so let's say 6 games, from Seattle to Pullman. The fuel get's expensive when you're pulling 600 miles round trip, over Snoqualmie Pass, and that was with gasoline.

Second year, I had this idea, and nobody was doing this. I reached out to an RV storage operator in Pullman, and asked what they would charge for 3 months of gated secure storage for a 19' Travel Trailer. They never had this request before, so they only charged $99 for three months, and again, nobody was doing this. We were the first.

Was so much more efficient driving your tow vehicle over and back without pulling all that weight, (10,000 lbs.). When we arrived on Thursday, we hitched up the trailer, hit Safeway, stocked up, filled up our fresh water tank, then hit the Beasley lot.

If you live on the westside, I can't imagine any other alternative, (If you plan to hit every home game).

This was the best years ever. We since sold our Travel Trailer, but the tailgating memories, and the Drew Dunn kicked to beat USC in three overtimes, the tailgating, Volleyball Friday nights, propane portable fire pit, and a great camp on the Beasley Lot with the marching band and Butch visiting (Friday night)....was priceless.

So to answer your question: For the Fall, the RV was dedicated to home football games. In the Spring and Summer we used it for camping all around the state, which was also priceless. Favorite State Park with Full-Hookups? Steamboat Rock State Park. Need to book a year in advance.

We sold it after we moved to Mercer Island, and then got into real estate, (as weekends are for clients and Open Houses). But, the memories of having a travel trailer, going to all the home games, (even though it's a ton of work, as I even loaded up seasoned split firewood for each weekend), was priceless.

I know the RV Lot passes have tripled in price in the past twenty years....which can be problematic for some....but love alternative idea of dry camping somewhere on the Palouse, on private property, if you choose to decline with the WSU CAF RV Pass.

Last edited:
Whoa. You are ugly. C’mon, don’t pretend you’re pretty on the internet.
Biggsy, you and I met once at either My Office or - crap - the old Rusty's right down the street. Forget the current name.

So we both know that I am the handsome one. You, not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT