ADVERTISEMENT

OT: RIP David Crosby

Not only did he have a great individual voice, those with whom he sang could jointly manage some amazing harmonies. There have undoubtedly been a few as good at that, but no one was better. He was definitely "out there" in a lot of ways (bordering on the irrational a few times), but he also seemed to be able to work with more conventional folks, as well, and as he aged he seemed to learn a little more about reality. Putting him together with Stephen Stills, Graham Nash and Neil Young was an amazing combination of 4 people who were able to all contribute kinda sorta equally, and the net result was pretty amazing.

Not only did he have a great individual voice, those with whom he sang could jointly manage some amazing harmonies. There have undoubtedly been a few as good at that, but no one was better. He was definitely "out there" in a lot of ways (bordering on the irrational a few times), but he also seemed to be able to work with more conventional folks, as well, and as he aged he seemed to learn a little more about reality. Putting him together with Stephen Stills, Graham Nash and Neil Young was an amazing combination of 4 people who were able to all contribute kinda sorta equally, and the net result was pretty amazing.
I think I should pull up "Four Way Street" to listen to today.......

Reactions: 79COUG
CSN and CSN&Y all were so talented together. I still enjoy listening to their songs. So many of our great rock musicians are leaving us and unfortunately, they haven't been replaced in 20 plus years. RIP Mr. Crosby. Just a Song Before I go...

He, like the rest of us, had his faults/issues.

But CSN/CSNY remain, to this day, in my all time top three or four groups that I love.

Four Way Street is an awesome album!!
Dang! Thought it was in my itunes, but was wrong, so now listening to "So Far". So many good to great songs. Couple faves are "Ohio" and "Find the Cost of Freedom".

Two more songs and then I will be sliding into some Jefferson Airplane. Nothing like a healthy does of Airplane to take you right back to the unrest of the late 60's!

Reactions: Coug1990 and 79COUG
CSN and CSN&Y all were so talented together. I still enjoy listening to their songs. So many of our great rock musicians are leaving us and unfortunately, they haven't been replaced in 20 plus years. RIP Mr. Crosby. Just a Song Before I go...
Rock is dead. Sad to see Mr Crosby go but far sadder to see Jeff Beck pass away - he was still at the top of his game musically even at 78, actually took care of himself physically and tragically died from a freak illness.

Rock is dead. Sad to see Mr Crosby go but far sadder to see Jeff Beck pass away - he was still at the top of his game musically even at 78, actually took care of himself physically and tragically died from a freak illness.
Rock is dead. But, if we are being honest, music is dead. I loved both Beck and Crosby. Don't agree that one is sadder than the other. They were both legends and put out great music. I was watching Leland Skar's YouTube channel and he was planning on touring with Crosby in the near future, so his death surprised him. It was interesting the way that they met. He was at a music festival in the Bay Area around 1969 and was watching Hendrix play. The guy standing next to him was Crosby.

Rock is dead. But, if we are being honest, music is dead. I loved both Beck and Crosby. Don't agree that one is sadder than the other. They were both legends and put out great music. I was watching Leland Skar's YouTube channel and he was planning on touring with Crosby in the near future, so his death surprised him. It was interesting the way that they met. He was at a music festival in the Bay Area around 1969 and was watching Hendrix play. The guy standing next to him was Crosby.
Perhaps not any less sad but Crosby took terrible care of himself and abused lots of drugs not to mention the people around him - Graham Nash and Neil Young wanted nothing to do with him. He wasn’t the kindest of people and a terrible egomaniac to boot. Still loved his music though. And I don’t believe he continued to grow as an artist - something Jeff Beck absolutely did - Beck still practiced like a madman to get better. YouTube his performances at Ronnie Scott’s and his stuff with Tal Wilkenfield. Great stuff. And Crosby lived hard - Jeff Beck didn’t - you’d expect Crosby to kick the bucket - Beck contracted bacterial meningitis - a fluke disease - that’s tragic.
I’ll have to check out Sklar’s channel - he is another musical titan who has had an amazing career.

Perhaps not any less sad but Crosby took terrible care of himself and abused lots of drugs not to mention the people around him - Graham Nash and Neil Young wanted nothing to do with him. He wasn’t the kindest of people and a terrible egomaniac to boot. Still loved his music though. And I don’t believe he continued to grow as an artist - something Jeff Beck absolutely did - Beck still practiced like a madman to get better. YouTube his performances at Ronnie Scott’s and his stuff with Tal Wilkenfield. Great stuff. And Crosby lived hard - Jeff Beck didn’t - you’d expect Crosby to kick the bucket - Beck contracted bacterial meningitis - a fluke disease - that’s tragic.
I’ll have to check out Sklar’s channel - he is another musical titan who has had an amazing career.
I do agree that it was a fluke how Beck died. He was also a vegetarian and really did take care of himself.

I think Young and Stills were probably the two kindest members of the band. Crosby spoke his mind out loud about things that were none of his business, like calling Daryl Hannah the devil. Nash was estranged from his children.

I have watched videos of Beck and Wilkenfield.

I agree, Skar is a musical titan.

I do agree that it was a fluke how Beck died. He was also a vegetarian and really did take care of himself.

I think Young and Stills were probably the two kindest members of the band. Crosby spoke his mind out loud about things that were none of his business, like calling Daryl Hannah the devil. Nash was estranged from his children.

I have watched videos of Beck and Wilkenfield.

I agree, Skar is a musical titan.
Wtf - Neil Young married Hannah? I’m guessing the devil label comes from what she allegedly did to his friend Jackson Browne. Crosby may well have been right.

I have Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow cd in my car. Pop it in when I am in that sort of mood. Used to the Wired CD too but lost it along time ago. An entire instrumental album (B by B) that seems to tell a story with every song.

ADVERTISEMENT