ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Two Planes Crash Over Lake Coeur D'Alene

Yep, always good to bring politics into a thread about a tragedy such as this....

Oh no you don’t: you brought up politics. You own it 100%.

Free news site forums with little to no moderation are complete cesspools. USA Today is no different.

Reactions: sellas
Uggh...I'm sorry to hear that.

How does that even happen in this day and age?

Most of the floatplanes flying around are pretty old. No proximity alerts or anything like that. Happens the same way car wrecks happen.

Most of the floatplanes flying around are pretty old. No proximity alerts or anything like that. Happens the same way car wrecks happen.
One of the planes was operated by a commercial aviation company, so almost unheard of that they didn’t have modern avionics in the plane.

One of the planes was operated by a commercial aviation company, so almost unheard of that they didn’t have modern avionics in the plane.

I’ve flown on “commercial” Cessna’s between WA and small fields in Canada. 22 year old pilot, jump starting the plane at each stop with dead batteries, using smart phone for routing/maps, planes built in the 50s/60s. It’s pretty common for small planes to be old and rugged.

d.[/QUOTE]
I’m willing to bet I’ve spent more time in small commercial aircraft—at least reputable commercial aircraft—and they all have modern electronics.
Edit to add, did your pilot look like this? Not sure why you’d get in a plane like that.
4Gc8xnhM9y3h6j82ykulC0Of5qkmJgxBfWQkCpPCejOLA3VgPIzQvIj5au-riffgWoM36xETnF11zdAoqHiSgvnzBQc28LxDbpK56w5kjZK7v2fTP_f1FA

Last edited:
I’m willing to bet I’ve spent more time in small commercial aircraft—at least reputable commercial aircraft—and they all have modern electronics.

I haven’t spent much time - only a handful of flights, so you’re probably right. But I was surprised at how much different it was than even say a plane like what pacific coastal flies. It was one of those scenarios where you just laugh each time and hope for the best.

I haven’t spent much time - only a handful of flights, so you’re probably right. But I was surprised at how much different it was than even say a plane like what pacific coastal flies. It was one of those scenarios where you just laugh each time and hope for the best.
I suppose there’s a few fly by night low-rent outfits, but the legit commercial guys don’t mess around with junk electronics—they spend way too much time in those things to rely on outdated equipment.

I suppose there’s a few fly by night low-rent outfits, but the legit commercial guys don’t mess around with junk electronics—they spend way too much time in those things to rely on outdated equipment.
Modern electronics, but some of these crews on the regional and commuter airlines are paid so little, they will choose to sleep in a car instead of a hotel on a stayover leg to save money

This doesn’t strike me as state of the art. I admittedly have never been inside it, but I’ve seen it flying around Lake CDA for years.

https://brooks-seaplane.com/aircraft/
The plane doesn’t have to be a modern machine, but the electronics usually are. A lot of your small aircraft are actually pretty old, but the maintenance requirements mean the frame is the only original part of the aircraft on it. Commercial aircraft have to do inspections every 100 hours of service where they’re partially disassembled and thoroughly looked over, and of course there’s hour limits on most of the moving parts.

ADVERTISEMENT