ADVERTISEMENT

Over under for wins - 3.5

COUGinNCW

Hall Of Fame
Oct 5, 2010
What say you?

and for the record , I’m now going with the under.

PSU - and 2 of Cal, OSU, Arizona and Stanford.

I’m going to chicken out and say it’s too soon to tell. This weekend probably doesn’t tell us much because it’s PSU. Next weekend might not mean much because it’s USC.
If last week is really representative…under. In fact, if you move it to 2.5, I probably still take the under.

Hmmm, great number to baseline.

I say over (5) - somehow, but I'm a foolish optimist when it comes to this topic. That's all I have to say about that.

What say you?

and for the record , I’m now going with the under.

PSU - and 2 of Cal, OSU, Arizona and Stanford.

Easy under for me. I only had them at 4 to begin with. Not getting USU puts me at 3, best case, possibly even 2.

Might be an oh-fer year, boys.

What we saw on defense wasn't a lack of coaching or discipline, it was a lack of size and talent. Any team that decides they want to drop 200+ yards on us on the ground will. Our LBs aren't big enough or fast enough to plug up the vacuous holes left by the DL, and half the time they aren't smart enough to even be in position to make the play.

JDL can't hit a pass further than 15 yards, and apparently there is a committed effort to ensure that MB gets completely fcked for his senior year and draft chances, so he'll not see the ball more than 10 times a game. Not only that, but its only a matter of time before JDL gets either his bell rung or an injury that will remove him from the game for who knows how long. Combine that with a WR crew who seems to have no interest in making a play for balls in their area, and I don't see us averaging more than 17ppg this season, and that's a high estimate.

Don't even get me started on how fcking stupid Rolo's gameday coaching is - he makes Leach's questionable decisions look brilliant.

What we see this year may make some Cougs pine for the days for CPW; its gonna be ugly, fellas.

What we saw on defense wasn't a lack of coaching or discipline, it was a lack of size and talent. Any team that decides they want to drop 200+ yards on us on the ground will. Our LBs aren't big enough or fast enough to plug up the vacuous holes left by the DL, and half the time they aren't smart enough to even be in position to make the play.

JDL can't hit a pass further than 15 yards, and apparently there is a committed effort to ensure that MB gets completely fcked for his senior year and draft chances, so he'll not see the ball more than 10 times a game. Not only that, but its only a matter of time before JDL gets either his bell rung or an injury that will remove him from the game for who knows how long. Combine that with a WR crew who seems to have no interest in making a play for balls in their area, and I don't see us averaging more than 17ppg this season, and that's a high estimate.

Don't even get me started on how fcking stupid Rolo's gameday coaching is - he makes Leach's questionable decisions look brilliant.

What we see this year may make some Cougs pine for the days for CPW; its gonna be ugly, fellas.

While I think you are too negative.....I can't say that I have any real disagreements with the overall thoughts. On your oh-fer comment, I presume that you are alluding to conference play, because if we lose to Portland State, Rolovich should be fired before the roosters are crowing on Sunday morning.

My glasses may have a crimson tint, so I am admitting that up front.

A team that drops its opener and loses mostly due to execution issues often bounces back. Far more often than not. While there are a lot of things to complain about in last Saturday's game, my primary issue is execution, at almost all levels (including the coaching staff, a few times). The only silver lining in that dark cloud is that execution is first and foremost an issue of focus and concentration, and therefore can be fixed.

If the coaching staff did not have everyone's full attention to detail before USU, and understand the urgency of playing with full concentration, they do now.

I had O/U at 6.5 before and favored 7. One of those games is gone now, so that means 6.

Before you jump off the cliff, I need to point out that only 1 of the 5 PAC north teams we play this year managed to win last weekend. We are not the only ones that failed to execute consistently. Even having said that, 6 wins will be a stretch. We will have to execute...our head will have to be in the game...for the entire game. No more wasted offensive downs (better play calling is a piece of this). No more examples of DB's who defend without looking back at the ball. The DT's will have to stay lower than the O line. The O line will have to do a better job of run blocking. I am not down on our receivers too much, despite some drops, because there were also some really good catches of some rather poorly thrown balls. Still, we need our receivers (who as a group are pretty good) to help the QB's (who as a group have not shown that they can throw more than 15-20 yards and put the ball where it needs to be). It certainly appears that the degree to which the receivers can bail out the QB's is going to dictate the success of our passing attack.

Still...hidden in the score of last week's game is how well we played most of the time, and when we did not, most was mental mistake related. A lot of back-breaking mental blunders. The D in the 4th quarter appeared to have several guys trying to do too much because they had lost confidence in some of the other guys doing their jobs. That has to stop. No team can be successful unless everybody trusts everybody else to be in position and make the proper play.

I want to see what we can do this weekend if each player focuses on doing the assigned job at hand on every play. That is what I expect to see this weekend. At this point, we are strictly in "one step at a time" territory.

Reactions: M-I-Coug

Lack of coaching puts Justus on the field. Guy missed tackles left and right. Terrible angles, terrible tackling. May be talent strapped in some areas that will put us out of games against Pac12 foes. But lack of coaching gives the ball to Max 12 times too. Lack of coaching brings in Cooper in a package. That loss was nearly entirely lack of coaching imo. No secret Rolo has been a tale of two halves nearly every game. That’s coaching.

Last edited:
Lack of coaching puts Justus on the field. Guy missed tackles left and right. Terrible angles, terrible tackling. May be talent strapped in some areas that will put us out of games against Pac12 foes. But lack of coaching gives the ball to Max 12 times too. Lack of coaching brings in Cooper in a package. That loss was nearly entirely lack of coaching imo. No secret Rolo has been a tale of two halves nearly every game. That’s coaching.
It's crazy too because this guy has been there for like a decade now and he still can't make a solid, fundamental tackle. What are these coaches seeing that we don't? I mean, how can they justify starting this guy continually? Archie Armani is frustrating all the same. Dude could've easily been flagged for 3 PI's but was only flagged for one..... And it cost us bigly. Do those coaches not teach DB's to get their heads turned around on pass coverage? He needs more sideline time. D_Line does not get any pressure and when they do, its because they over-pursued and the middle opens up like the parting of the Red Sea. I watched Willie Taylor multiple times give the most lack luster effort on passing downs/plays. It was infuriating to see.

nothing could rival that level of ineptitude

Reactions: COUGinNCW
They are poorly coached and play badly. Unless something happens and the defense wakes up and Turd figures out how to coach…. my prediction of 12-0 is now 11-1.

For the record, Paul Wulff has been elevated from Turd. We have a new Turd in town.

Wulff4.jpg

1-0 after beating USD and their 77 year old coach.

What I find depressing about this is I'm not wholly convinced that it's a talent or experience problem. These kids played .500 ball for Leach, and if anything the defense looked better than it did two years ago, though not by much. Lots of these players are going to graduate this year, and we'll be starting again, with a pretty lousy record to show for it. In terms of program momentum going forward, this is, suboptimal

So that Cone of Shame for nosepicking on TV finally arrived from Amazon?
His supporters in the blogosphere will point out that pointing with his index and middle finger is a "pro booger picker" move - allows him to flick the booger to the ground with his thumb and his pinkie.

This will be used as more evidence of his growth as coach since 2007-2011 and his suitability to return to Pullman.

Man, oh man...such hate and vitriol for a guy who just happened to fail as a head coach at his alma-mater, where by all accounts he was a great Coug and is a very decent human being. That's all I have to say about that.

Reactions: kaddy3
Man, oh man...such hate and vitriol for a guy who just happened to fail as a head coach at his alma-mater, where by all accounts he was a great Coug and is a very decent human being. That's all I have to say about that.
Posters hate Paul Wulff here, and I mean hate in the literal sense. If the dude dropped dead tomorrow, they’d rejoice. I’ve never understood that, nor do I want to.

I’m going to chicken out and say it’s too soon to tell. This weekend probably doesn’t tell us much because it’s PSU. Next weekend might not mean much because it’s USC.
If last week is really representative…under. In fact, if you move it to 2.5, I probably still take the under.
Agreed. Wulf er Rolo needs to be rid of QB committee, run the rock, short outs and scheme the woeful D to pressure the opposing pass. "ANOTHER COUGAR FIRST DOWN" may be a thing of the past and I will settle for a sack or two.

Posters hate Paul Wulff here, and I mean hate in the literal sense. If the dude dropped dead tomorrow, they’d rejoice. I’ve never understood that, nor do I want to.

To be clear, I dont hate Paul Wulff. I think he is a shitty football coach that ruined some kids careers with his piss poor decision making and coaching. I dont think he should be allowed to coach football he is so bad at it. I think he had a terrible plan for WSU, then enacted it. He is white rice. No personalty. Zero charisma. I forget what poster wrote that he recruited about as well and ANY coach walking into a high school wearing a polo shirt of a Pac 12 team ~ spot on.

If Paul Wulff was a garbage man I think he would suck at that too.

So I dont hate the guy. In fact, Ive actually elevated him from “Turd.” I just believe he is a crap coach and should be run out of the business. Which he damn near was. If he dropped dead tomorrow I wouldnt rejoice.

No hate, but no love.

Don't p!ss on my head and tell me its raining, and don't give me the "you've never played so you have no standing to have an opinion" bullshit - its the weakest argument in the book. You don't have to be an NFL All-Pro to see the product that he had on the field was below standard in all ways. I commented last month about watching a game from that era and marvelling at the kids he put on the field, especially at WR. I don't think my conscious would allow me to put a 160lb kid on the field in a P12 game, ever.

He is the most important WSU coach of the 21st century (so far).

Only one of our last 5 coaches to NEVER have a column or piece written about him saying he should be fired.

Let's just accept he is representative of the aspirations of a good deal of the WSU football intelligentsia.

Only two football alums with positive media in the past month are him and a felon drug addict.

Reactions: etowncoug
Renard Bell, Robert Lewis, Jamire Calvin all are thankful Leach didn’t have the $1.60 rule.

I have to thank Wulff for the Spencer Waseem bathroom loafing story. One of my favorite.

To be clear, I dont hate Paul Wulff. I think he is a shitty football coach that ruined some kids careers with his piss poor decision making and coaching. I dont think he should be allowed to coach football he is so bad at it. I think he had a terrible plan for WSU, then enacted it. He is white rice. No personalty. Zero charisma. I forget what poster wrote that he recruited about as well and ANY coach walking into a high school wearing a polo shirt of a Pac 12 team ~ spot on.

If Paul Wulff was a garbage man I think he would suck at that too.

So I dont hate the guy. In fact, Ive actually elevated him from “Turd.” I just believe he is a crap coach and should be run out of the business. Which he damn near was. If he dropped dead tomorrow I wouldnt rejoice.
You can appreciate what a guy put into playing and WSU and also acknowledge he sucked at coaching. They aren’t mutually exclusive. There was the whole lost innocence thing too which didn’t help his cause as he pouted his way out the door.
Look at Leaf. We made fun of the guy for his failure in the NFL and subsequent downfall. Now he helps others with their failures and makes light of his past failures and we all love him.

Back to the topic at hand, and I don't want this point to be turned into a political one, there are enough threads on the board for that, but we do have the spector of the forfiet rule hanging over us as well. I fully anticipate it will rear its ugly head at some point (likley around a game that on paper seems winnable knowing our luck), so with that in mind, as much as I hate it, I'm going under 3.5 wins.

Reactions: SDCoug
Back to the topic at hand, and I don't want this point to be turned into a political one, there are enough threads on the board for that, but we do have the spector of the forfiet rule hanging over us as well. I fully anticipate it will rear its ugly head at some point (likley around a game that on paper seems winnable knowing our luck), so with that in mind, as much as I hate it, I'm going under 3.5 wins.
Along those lines, how is it determined if a kid can’t suit up? The Pac-12 has reverted to their pre COVID rules. If you can’t field a team, you forfeit. But if a lot of vaccinated, asymptotic kids have delta, would anyone even know? Including the players? Are there still testing requirements for those fully vaccinated?

I’m also not interested in political debate on this subject. I’m interested in the mechanics that could lead to a forfeit. Those seem unclear to me at this point. I’ve wondered about them for a while now.

Making fun of the guy for picking his nose and wearing a goofy face shield is about the least vitriolic thing I've read about him on this board in 13 years.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Attack and complain about his coaching all you want. I've done the same.
But attacking the man, his life and making fun of him is sophomoric and displays a lack of being intelligent enough to separate the two.
I’ve moved on from the coaching train wreck. I choose to focus on the Paul Wulff that suited up for the Apple Cup a couple of days after an emergency appendectomy.

Along those lines, how is it determined if a kid can’t suit up? The Pac-12 has reverted to their pre COVID rules. If you can’t field a team, you forfeit. But if a lot of vaccinated, asymptotic kids have delta, would anyone even know? Including the players? Are there still testing requirements for those fully vaccinated?

I’m also not interested in political debate on this subject. I’m interested in the mechanics that could lead to a forfeit. Those seem unclear to me at this point. I’ve wondered about them for a while now.
I'm not sure how it is applied, I think I heard at one point, but have since forgotten it. I'm really just basing it on the fact that we have the least vaccinated roster in the P12 at last check--again not a statement on vax vs. anti-vax, just the reality. I'm not saying as a conference it will happen a lot and I would imagine they will bend and stretch anyway to avoid it happening, but its gonna get a couple games and I'm betting at least once its ours.

I'm not sure how it is applied, I think I heard at one point, but have since forgotten it. I'm really just basing it on the fact that we have the least vaccinated roster in the P12 at last check--again not a statement on vax vs. anti-vax, just the reality. I'm not saying as a conference it will happen a lot and I would imagine they will bend and stretch anyway to avoid it happening, but its gonna get a couple games and I'm betting at least once its ours.
The odds support your statement, phx. I hope you are wrong, but then I often bet against the odds. I'm hoping that if we have a cancelled game, it is one we would have been heavy favorites to lose...not one of the games that we have a realistic chance to win.

You know, with all the attention on Rolovich's vaccination status, I haven't seen anyone ask the related question:

How many players will we lose after October 18?

There's really not an immediate consequence for students missing the deadline (at least, not one that's been advertised). They won't be able to register for spring classes and may be 'restricted from participating in campus events.' Maybe we won't lose any immediately, but what does 'restricted from participating' mean?

You know, with all the attention on Rolovich's vaccination status, I haven't seen anyone ask the related question:

How many players will we lose after October 18?

There's really not an immediate consequence for students missing the deadline (at least, not one that's been advertised). They won't be able to register for spring classes and may be 'restricted from participating in campus events.' Maybe we won't lose any immediately, but what does 'restricted from participating' mean?
I heard the vax status for students is very high...over 90%. Not sure if that is accurate or not. Heard football team is around 80%.

I heard the vax status for students is very high...over 90%. Not sure if that is accurate or not. Heard football team is around 80%.
The vax rate for the students who have answered is pretty high. Over 90% at every campus except Tri-Cities, where it's just shy of 89%.

Problem is that the response rate isn't great. Less than 80% of students at Pullman have provided any indication, less than 50% at all other campuses.

There's no public reporting of the football team status.

Scroll down to find vax data

The vax rate for the students who have answered is pretty high. Over 90% at every campus except Tri-Cities, where it's just shy of 89%.

Problem is that the response rate isn't great. Less than 80% of students at Pullman have provided any indication, less than 50% at all other campuses.

There's no public reporting of the football team status.

Scroll down to find vax data
I don't think these numbers add up. School has started and the requirement was that either you're vaxxed or show proof, so how are these kids on campus yet doing neither?

I don't think these numbers add up. School has started and the requirement was that either you're vaxxed or show proof, so how are these kids on campus yet doing neither?
The original requirement only applied to students living in campus housing. Other students were supposed to show that they've started the vaccination process by today...but there's not really much of a consequence if they miss today's deadline, especially if they attend outside of Pullman.

They might get holds put on so that they can't register for spring classes, but spring registration doesn't start until November, so in the mind of a 20-year old, it doesn't matter in September.

Kind of. I believe it was 70 percent or so have reported, and amongst that group 94 percent are vaccinated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT