ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 Championship Game Thread

425cougfan

Hall Of Fame
Apr 23, 2011
Throwing it up in case there's interest. I face my usual quandary of wanting to root against USC for all the reasons you'd expect, yet being forced to consider rooting for it to help the Pac-12 and get us some cash. Even that, though, might push UW into the Rose Bowl, and that's pretty nauseating as well.

Who ya got?

Throwing it up in case there's interest. I face my usual quandary of wanting to root against USC for all the reasons you'd expect, yet being forced to consider rooting for it to help the Pac-12 and get us some cash. Even that, though, might push UW into the Rose Bowl, and that's pretty nauseating as well.

Who ya got?
My gut says USC easily.

Then again, that’s what my gut said right before Utah beat them in October. Still gotta go with the Trojans on a neutral field.

My gut says USC easily.

Then again, that’s what my gut said right before Utah beat them in October. Still gotta go with the Trojans on a neutral field.
Let's go UTES! And i forgot to say to say "lets go Brock!

I mean I’d root for Utah anyways but question. If Utah wins would UW still get into a NY6 anyways? I can’t stand the thought of them being in the RB.

So far Utah seems just about as good at covering a running back coming out of the backfield as we do.

Who ya got?
Lincoln Riley pulling his crap and having half his OK recruits head to USC and making it to the playoff year one is puke-worthy as well. Along with UW in the RB going to be a damn puke fest if SC wins this.

I mean I’d root for Utah anyways but question. If Utah wins would UW still get into a NY6 anyways? I can’t stand the thought of them being in the RB.
UW is 12th in the CFP rankings. It wouldn't get a NY6 invite right now since Tulane very likely is beating UCF and will get the G of 5's NY6 spot.

Ahead of UW are Clemson (9), Kansas State (10), and Utah (11). If Utah wins, it would have beaten USC twice this year, and I don't know that the committee would leave it ranked behind USC. Probably would be something like Utah at #7 and USC at #8 in the final CFP rankings. (Wilner was trying to argue USC still had a path to the playoff if it lost this, but I call BS.)

UW's NY6 bowl chances hinge on what happens this weekend, especially what happens with Utah, Clemson, and Kansas State.

Clemson probably will win but it's not a sure thing. Kansas State has a good shot to beat TCU but it definitely isn't a sure thing. LSU at 14 would leapfrog UW if it beat Georgia but that's also not happening.

So basically, if Utah wins, it pretty much is UW in a NY6 game if Clemson or Kansas State loses. Otherwise, Alamo Bowl. If Utah loses, UW probably moves up to #11 at least and would be in.

Reactions: Coug90
UW is 12th in the CFP rankings. It wouldn't get a NY6 invite right now since Tulane very likely is beating UCF and will get the G of 5's NY6 spot.

Ahead of UW are Clemson (9), Kansas State (10), and Utah (11). If Utah wins, it would have beaten USC twice this year, and I don't know that the committee would leave it ranked behind USC. Probably would be something like Utah at #7 and USC at #8 in the final CFP rankings. (Wilner was trying to argue USC still had a path to the playoff if it lost this, but I call BS.)

UW's NY6 bowl chances hinge on what happens this weekend, especially what happens with Utah, Clemson, and Kansas State.

Clemson probably will win but it's not a sure thing. Kansas State has a good shot to beat TCU but it definitely isn't a sure thing. LSU at 14 would leapfrog UW if it beat Georgia but that's also not happening.

So basically, if Utah wins, it pretty much is UW in a NY6 game if Clemson or Kansas State loses. Otherwise, Alamo Bowl. If Utah loses, UW probably moves up to #11 at least and would be in.
Think UW lock for Rose Bowl if USC finishes this.

UGA and Michigan are in the playoff. Even if they lose their conference games, they’ll be 1-loss teams and we’ll hear how great their “body of work” is.

If TCU or USC loses, they’re out. Ohio State and Alabama will move up. Clemson isn’t going to move past them by beating UNC.

Only way UW does not get the Rose is if Utah wins, or if USC wins and gets hosed by the committee anyway.

If USC wins, even if it’s close, they should be in. There’s no justice if Ohio state somehow moves up - although I wouldn’t truly be surprised.

Assuming USC is in the playoff, UW will get the Rose. They’ll be the only other PAC-12 team in the top 12, and the Rose is definitely keeping their conference matchup while they can. With losses by K State and Utah, UW goes to 10 (or 9, depending on Clemson), and they’ll get in.

Tulane will get the Cotton bowl, which is the only true at-large destination this year.

Utes are a resiliant bunch. Rising is a frickin Minshew clone if you ask me. Just an absolute gamer

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
Whittingham & his staff always do such a great job. Utah is well prepared for this game.

USC’s offense looks inept. And true to form, Grinch’s D can’t account for a mobile QB.

Reactions: Coug90
The first thing that hits rising is a helmet. There’s no way that’s not targeting by rule. Naturally they won’t call it.

Reactions: HCoug
That’s crown to the lower bar of the face mask. But I don’t see a launch.

I’m fine with it not being called, but I think it meets the definition, and USC is benefiting. It would be targeting against WSU, but not against USC.

I’m fine with it not being called, but I think it meets the definition, and USC is benefiting. It would be targeting against WSU, but not against USC.
I don’t ever want that to be called tbh. The maddening part is the inconsistency in which it’s applied. The fact they called the BJack play targeting and NOT that is the problem. It depends who the team is and what the situation is. Not right.

It was just a glancing blow and not a direct shot so maybe thats why? I am fine with it not being called. But yes it could have easily been called too

Jfc just get rid of this stupid rule already. When you are scared to call it because of the situation the rule shouldn’t exist.
I’m basically OK with the rule, but it needs to stop changing and needs to be applied consistently.

When I played, they called it spearing if a defender led with their crown. Didn’t matter what part of the body they hit. Still should be a penalty - Including if a ball carrier does it.

Targeting should be called if the defender makes primary contact with the ball carrier’s head - whether with their head, their shoulder, or their forearms…unless the ball carrier lowers themself to create that contact. There’s no reason for a defender to hit the head

Haha!!! Suck it SC!!! And while we’re at it suck it UW, San Antonio it’ll be!!

Grinch is gonna get shit canned after this game.

Not sure I've ever seen more missed tackles and big plays given up on 3rd down

So, back to the bowl discussion…

Unless a miracle happens, USC is losing. But I think USC still gets an NY6 game. Don’t think they’ll fall far enough to be completely out.

There’s really only 1 at large spot this year, with the Fiesta as a CFP site. If there are no other upsets, I think we see Tulane and USC in the Cotton.

They might get shut out of KSU beats TCU, or Clemson loses to UNC. The Cotton would then have to pick between USC, Clemson, and TCU.

The Rose will be Utah/Penn State. Probably Tennessee/Clemson in the Orange, and I think Bama/KSU in the Sugar

Could even be San Diego. If there’s another upset, USC could go from the CFP to the Alamo.
That would be epic. F it let’s put UW in the Sun Bowl because…well…they are purple and nobody likes them.

True!

yeah yeah, FUSC and all.

rah rah Utah.

But SC making the natty (and the money) was the reach-around the conference needed before they departed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT