ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 commish update, per Dodd...

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
Per Dodd...These names have been mentioned but we're quickly getting close to the end of P12 commish search:
--Gene Smith, tOSU AD
--Dan Radakovich, Clem AD
--Oliver Luck, former NCAA sr administrator, West Va AD, XFL commish.

P12 projected to have replacement for Larry Scott by late April

Of note, all of the candidates are over the age of 60. I think Luck (Andrew's dad) seems to check a lot of boxes of prior experience, including the "on campus" one, that seems to be a consideration.

I'm also guessing, based on age, this will be a 5-7 year hire.

Per Dodd...These names have been mentioned but we're quickly getting close to the end of P12 commish search:
--Gene Smith, tOSU AD
--Dan Radakovich, Clem AD
--Oliver Luck, former NCAA sr administrator, West Va AD, XFL commish.

P12 projected to have replacement for Larry Scott by late April

Of note, all of the candidates are over the age of 60. I think Luck (Andrew's dad) seems to check a lot of boxes of prior experience, including the "on campus" one, that seems to be a consideration.

I'm also guessing, based on age, this will be a 5-7 year hire.
I am fine with a relatively short term hire. If they right the ship, it doesn't matter how long they are here. I would rather that than have a long term horrible commissioner like Larry Scott. I like all three. But, Smith kind of scares me because a name that may replace him may be our very own Pat Chun. I think those who are regulars here know, but for those who don't, Chun attended Ohio State and worked in their athletic department as well.

That list of 60 year olds is like choosing between 10 year old strays to adopt from the dog pound.

Hires by Pac12 academic leadership is not too unlike Olympia hires : hacks hire hacks.

Reactions: Observer11
I think Luck would be a good choice. But that’s just me. I think xfl had a plan to be successful but Covid destroyed it.

Reactions: 79COUG
Clemson guy also at LSU during Les Miles & at Clemson during Deshaun Watson

I haven't been paying close attention. Last time I checked, Watson was the victim of Houston's terrible management. Is he a bad dude now?

I haven't been paying close attention. Last time I checked, Watson was the victim of Houston's terrible management. Is he a bad dude now?
[/QUOTE]
Watson a victim? Not in this case:

Glad Cougar

Watson a victim? Not in this case:

Glad Cougar
[/QUOTE]

So that would be a yes. Guess he's not going to be traded to Seattle.

We should have hired someone back when they were interviewing Larry that had qualifications similar to the three candidates that ttown mentions. I'm not worried about a 5-7 year hire (and I agree with 1990 that is probable, given the ages) if he is the RIGHT 5-7 year hire. That is plenty of time to resolve the two biggest PAC issues: broadcast revenue and inconsistent officiating. Think about it. Just solve those two things and we are in good shape. That is not a 20 year task. It should not even be a 5-7 year task. Ought to make progress in year 1 and have a clear path forward starting at some point in year 2.

Luck is a football guy, a former QB and the father of a very, very talented college QB who had his NFL career cut short.

I think he brings instant credibility to football coaches. Football is our biggest revenue opportunity.

His pro sports background brings some skills to this role and also doesn't seem to be an "empire builder" like limo Larry.

Seems like a good fit hire.

This long has felt a bit like an Oliver Luck decision with some process to justify it. We'll see.

The league needs someone that knows what "it" looks like. They need someone with enough clout to walk in and tell the presidents and ADs that the reason they get smoked is because they're a bunch of cheap f*cks that don't know what the f*ck they're doing and that they are here to show them how big a cash cow college football really is when you spend some money.

Kids are leaving the West Coast left and right. No one watches. No one goes to games. They all sit on their hands or thumbs and watch it happen.

It's time to rattle some cages.

Reactions: mikalalas
The league needs someone that knows what "it" looks like. They need someone with enough clout to walk in and tell the presidents and ADs that the reason they get smoked is because they're a bunch of cheap f*cks that don't know what the f*ck they're doing and that they are here to show them how big a cash cow college football really is when you spend some money.

Kids are leaving the West Coast left and right. No one watches. No one goes to games. They all sit on their hands or thumbs and watch it happen.

It's time to rattle some cages.
Sad thing is with the right perspective and leadership there could be a big advantage to being the only major conference in the Pacific/Mountain time zones. Sadly with massive incompetence and zero leadership for years any such advantage has been pissed away and there’s a huge hole to dig out of.

A 60 year old white guy is not going to get the job. Not in 2021.

This is the Pac 12, not the SEC. There has to be a statement made.

It depends on what the next commissioner puts around him in terms of staff. Limo Larry wanted yes men. Didn't want to share the spot light.

You have to look back on that hire and say, we hired a guy that ran the "tennis network" and to expect he'd build anything other than the "tennis network" for us is hoping he hasn't reached the Peter principle. (which he did).

A 60 year old white guy is not going to get the job. Not in 2021.

This is the Pac 12, not the SEC. There has to be a statement made.

Sounds like it needs to be a Ivy League corporate goon. The conference even got itself a headhunter! Maybe not an old white guy, but I'm guessing pretty pasty.

Sounds like it needs to be a Ivy League corporate goon. The conference even got itself a headhunter! Maybe not an old white guy, but I'm guessing pretty pasty.

Sounds like a job the the commish of the WNBA - from where did she matriculate?

White P5 guys need not apply.

Sounds like a job the the commish of the WNBA - from where did she matriculate?

White P5 guys need not apply.

By the actions of the last guy it might not hurt to expand our horizons.

Last edited:
By the actions of the last guy it might not hurt to expand our horizons.

I know people like to rag on the school presidents for a long history of making bad decisions, but these are not our parents or our grandfathers school presidents. Most of the school presidents in the conference have changed in the last few years.

I am going to wait and see who they chose. They might surprise.

I know people like to rag on the school presidents for a long history of making bad decisions, but these are not our parents or our grandfathers school presidents. Most of the school presidents in the conference have changed in the last few years.

Might surprise how?

Might surprise how?

Not crapping the bed would be a welcome surprise.

To be fair, Scott started quite well. The TV contract was a big deal not just in terms of dollars but scope and structure too. The cooperation between ESPN and Fox was unique as a I recall and generated more value for the conference. The Pac-12 Networks, weird retention of the digital rights combined with IMO obvious overvaluation of those rights, and Larry's lavish spending have clearly overshadowed his early accomplishment.

Still a lot of meet the new boss same as the old boss feeling in the school president/AD level.

Still a lot of meet the new boss same as the old boss feeling in the school president/AD level.
I don't think so. I certainly do not think our current president is the same as Smith or Rawlins. I don't believe that USC's new president that was brought on to clean up the many scandals is the same as her predecessor. Utah and CU were not a part of the conference when Scott was hired. The president of CU has taken the lead the last few years in making changes and slowly taking away power from Scott.

I have heard that this new group of presidents are more forward thinking than the people that they replaced. Time will tell, I guess.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I don't think so. I certainly do not think our current president is the same as Smith or Rawlins. I don't believe that USC's new president that was brought on to clean up the many scandals is the same as her predecessor. Utah and CU were not a part of the conference when Scott was hired. The president of CU has taken the lead the last few years in making changes and slowly taking away power from Scott.

I have heard that this new group of presidents are more forward thinking than the people that they replaced. Time will tell, I guess.

I'm a Doubting Thomas right now - I've heard a lot of lip service, but until I see it in action, I'm skeptical. I hope I'm wrong, I really do.

I'm also not the largest fan of Schulz and Chun (as I've mentioned here in the past), so others are welcome to take my thoughts on this with a grain of salt.

In my dream world, we simply: generate a job description with priorities; interview qualified candidates; and pick the one most likely to accomplish the priorities within the boundaries of the job description.

I know. Just call me Pollyanna. There are probably too many steps in the above process.

In my dream world, we simply: generate a job description with priorities; interview qualified candidates; and pick the one most likely to accomplish the priorities within the boundaries of the job description.

I know. Just call me Pollyanna. There are probably too many steps in the above process.

It’s the Pac 12. Recalibrate expectations accordingly so when the presidents hire Moos, it doesn’t come as a surprise.

ADVERTISEMENT