ADVERTISEMENT

PAC-12 goes conference only

I'm hoping we end up with a true round robin, but I'm guessing it may get dumbed down even more from here.

There’s not going to be any football until after the election.

There’s not going to be much of anything until after the election.

There’s not going to be any football until after the election.

There’s not going to be much of anything until after the election.
Pretty sure corona viruses don’t have calendars or political leanings. So whatever the situation is on November 5th will be identical to the situation on November 4th. In January, there will be a new national and state political landscape as new legislatures are sworn in. But by that time, I don’t think we will have many options but to hang on until the virus burns out or a vaccine is approved.

So my guess is if there is no football by the election, there won’t be any after it either. The decisions about whether to cancel the football seasons will be made by individual colleges and conferences - not by politicians.

Pretty sure corona viruses don’t have calendars or political leanings. So whatever the situation is on November 5th will be identical to the situation on November 4th. In January, there will be a new national and state political landscape as new legislatures are sworn in. But by that time, I don’t think we will have many options but to hang on until the virus burns out or a vaccine is approved.

So my guess is if there is no football by the election, there won’t be any after it either. The decisions about whether to cancel the football seasons will be made by individual colleges and conferences - not by politicians.

Concern for coronavirus magically disappeared when folks went out to protest for BLM last month. Health officials wrote letters telling us this was ok. Now that the protests have died down we must be concerned about a second wave again.

Concern for coronavirus magically disappeared when folks went out to protest for BLM last month. Health officials wrote letters telling us this was ok. Now that the protests have died down we must be concerned about a second wave again.
Ah, I get it. So you guys believe the democrats will win in November and then the entire world will jump out of hiding and yell “surprise, it was all a hoax”. That’s a very strange conspiracy theory to hang your hat on - but ok,whatever.

Ah, I get it. So you guys believe the democrats will win in November and then the entire world will jump out of hiding and yell “surprise, it was all a hoax”. That’s a very strange conspiracy theory to hang your hat on - but ok,whatever.

No, after the election they will stop hyperventilating over the number of cases and tell us to get back to work because it's for the common good.

You simplify it but yes, the media coverage will suddenly turn to "the death rates are dropping" and "hospitalization rates are at all time low" (kinda like right now?) instead of "record number of positive tests" if Biden wins.
If Trump wins, the existing tone of the evening news will continue on as it is now.
But hey, that's just my opinion...

It’s adorable you typed that with such conviction.

You simplify it but yes, the media coverage will suddenly turn to "the death rates are dropping" and "hospitalization rates are at all time low" (kinda like right now?) instead of "record number of positive tests" if Biden wins.
If Trump wins, the existing tone of the evening news will continue on as it is now.
But hey, that's just my opinion...
Pretty sure the number of daily deaths has turned back up and is now about the same as one month ago. That’s after a nice downward trend that ended about the first of July. The upward trend in deaths is lagging the upward trend in cases by around 4 to 6 weeks just as one would expect. And yes the protests did contribute to the increase in both cases and deaths. They weren’t the only contributor of course but I think it’s fair to criticize the media for glossing over their contribution. But as to your overall conspiracy theory - sorry, don’t buy it, find it ridiculous.

Must be nice to have the privilege of a majority of "mainstream" news sources holding political agendas that align with your own.

A bit more seriously, that's an odd and extreme portrayal you've laid out. What's likely is something much subtler, but tremendously impactful, along the lines of what 79Coug described.

Just read the headlines on CNN, MSNBC, the Seattle P-I, and just about every large metro newspaper when addressing news relating to certain groups of subjects, especially political actors. It doesn't take a doctoral-level understanding of psychology or journalism to see how things are twisted. Some is subtle, like referring to someone as "President Obama" instead of "Obama," or mentioning the political party when a scandal involves one party but not mentioning it, with the subject becoming a "legislator," if that legislator is from the other party. There are innumerable permutations of how this is done. I see it automatically -- on both sides of the aisle -- and think I missed my calling, because I think it would be enjoyable and amusing as hell to write obviously biased headlines and stories to troll people. You get more clicks and views in this way, both from unthinking lemmings who agree with it and keep lapping up more, and all the people on the other "side" who are pissed off about it.

Fox News does the same garbage on the right. It's just (rightly) dismissed as hyperpartisan. More of the ostensibly mainstream media sources are in the left-leaning camp.
If you are talking about the 24 hour cable news channels, sorry but I don't watch them. At least not regularly. I tune in when there is a natural disaster or war or something along those lines but as a general rule, they are more opinion than news and don’t pique my interest. I like my own opinions better.

Reactions: SilverStateCoug
Pretty sure the number of daily deaths has turned back up and is now about the same as one month ago. That’s after a nice downward trend that ended about the first of July. The upward trend in deaths is lagging the upward trend in cases by around 4 to 6 weeks just as one would expect. And yes the protests did contribute to the increase in both cases and deaths. They weren’t the only contributor of course but I think it’s fair to criticize the media for glossing over their contribution. But as to your overall conspiracy theory - sorry, don’t buy it, find it ridiculous.
In my opinion, the fact that major news outlets have political bias is not a conspiracy theory. But if you believe that way, I respect that.
I also believe that an increase in testing is the major reason for an increase in positive results. Again, just my opinion.
Number of deaths of people who test positive for Covid 19 at the time of their death (?) seems to be under-reported in all the media outlets.

The apparent bias of major networks and large city newspapers towards progressive points of view isn't a big mystery or conspiracy. It is a point of view that values facts and trusts scientific research. If you are looking at it from a FOX new standpoint, then it probably does seem biased when some actually tells the truth.

Reactions: longtimecoug
The apparent bias of major networks and large city newspapers towards progressive points of view isn't a big mystery or conspiracy. It is a point of view that values facts and trusts scientific research. If you are looking at it from a FOX new standpoint, then it probably does seem biased when some actually tells the truth.

A truthful scientist would tell you he/she doesn’t know enough about this virus to say anything definitive. Science is painstakingly slow and methodical. But that makes for boring sound bites and quotes. The blood clotting outside the lungs is something your scientist should be surprised to see. A spike in July is something your scientist should be surprised to see as well.

If science has explained the sewage studies that show the virus is 5-10x more widespread than official case numbers, I must have missed it. The science doesn’t seem to support that Trump is definitively murdering children by supporting reopening schools. Certain media outlets or commentators must have some science they aren’t sharing. The science does appear to support that Andrew Cuomo gave a death sentence to nursing home residents by sending Covid positive residents back to nursing homes spreading the virus amongst the most vulnerable.

Two interesting things to read:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.us...s-heat-over-ny-nursing-home-study?context=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.me...ccused-of-hyping-covid-19-antibody-study/amp/

In my opinion, the fact that major news outlets have political bias is not a conspiracy theory. But if you believe that way, I respect that.
I also believe that an increase in testing is the major reason for an increase in positive results. Again, just my opinion.
Number of deaths of people who test positive for Covid 19 at the time of their death (?) seems to be under-reported in all the media outlets.
Without getting into a pointless argument about what networks are biased and in what direction and by how much, I’ll simply state the big three cable news outlets operate using an infotainment format rather than a strict news format. It’s not a conspiracy at all. It’s just economics. It’s much cheaper to hire a few talking heads to scream at each other or their guests than it is to operate a worldwide or even nationwide news gathering organization. And, apparently most Americans are more likely to watch the screaming than they are to watch hard news. Whatever biases people think they see is actually the network trying to appeal to its own niche market. Nothing really sinister, just hosts trying to keep drawing their bloated salaries by saying outrageous things that appeal to their audiences.

I am clearly in the minority on this but I really don’t like the infotainment format. I think it is polarizing and is designed to inflame emotions rather than inform. At the very least, these networks should not be allowed to call themselves news networks.

Without getting into a pointless argument about what networks are biased and in what direction and by how much, I’ll simply state the big three cable news outlets operate using an infotainment format rather than a strict news format. It’s not a conspiracy at all. It’s just economics. It’s much cheaper to hire a few talking heads to scream at each other or their guests than it is to operate a worldwide or even nationwide news gathering organization. And, apparently most Americans are more likely to watch the screaming than they are to watch hard news. Whatever biases people think they see is actually the network trying to appeal to its own niche market. Nothing really sinister, just hosts trying to keep drawing their bloated salaries by saying outrageous things that appeal to their audiences.

I am clearly in the minority on this but I really don’t like the infotainment format. I think it is polarizing and is designed to inflame emotions rather than inform. At the very least, these networks should not be allowed to call themselves news networks.
Yea, I am not the one who has used "conspiracy", "mystery" or "sinister" in any of my discussions on this. "News" isn't really news anymore. It's just as you said...infotainment. Heavy emphasis on the entertainment aspect. Regardless of which network one watches, none of them is more factual than the other. Oh, they'll try to spin it one way or another.."we reply on science!" But the science used has very little of the credibility it once did (see dgibbs post above). "Hard news" is practically impossible to find without a bias in one direction or another.

Somewhere Chet Huntley, David Brinkley, Walter Cronkite and Edward Murrow are turning over in their graves...

Reactions: Glad Cougar
Multiple Florida clinics posting 100% positive test results.

In fact, less than 10% positive.

Sure.....it's just a clerical error. Riiiiiight.

Reactions: 79COUG
Yea, I am not the one who has used "conspiracy", "mystery" or "sinister" in any of my discussions on this. "News" isn't really news anymore. It's just as you said...infotainment. Heavy emphasis on the entertainment aspect. Regardless of which network one watches, none of them is more factual than the other. Oh, they'll try to spin it one way or another.."we reply on science!" But the science used has very little of the credibility it once did (see dgibbs post above). "Hard news" is practically impossible to find without a bias in one direction or another.

Somewhere Chet Huntley, David Brinkley, Walter Cronkite and Edward Murrow are turning over in their graves...
And the escalating problem with “infotainment” is that it has to accelerate. To keep or grow viewership, you have to scream louder and be more outrageous all the time. The names you listed grew their careers on being trusted and accurate. That’s not important anymore, as long as you’re either first to report or can do it most loudly.

FWIW, my wife and her sister are both nurses and are both residents of Kansas.....one of the reddest states in the country. Neither of them want to see shutdowns because the first round made their lives difficult. They closed my wife's hospital down since it focuses on "elective" surgeries. That said, they believe that coronavirus is every bit as bad as the media suggests and that we need all the a$$holes in our country that are worried about their "freedom" and refusing to wear a mask need to get their crap together and be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

This isn't going away after the election and even if the "liberal" media is playing it up for effect, only an idiot thinks that the entire world is playing along just to help the Democrats.

Last edited:
FWIW, my wife and her sister are both nurses and are both residents of Kansas.....one of the reddest states in the country. Neither of them want to see shutdowns because the first round made their lives difficult. They closed my wife's hospital down since it focuses on "elective" surgeries. That said, they believe that coronavirus is every bit as bad as the media suggests and that we need all the a$$holes in our country that are worried about their "freedom" and refusing to wear a mask need to get their crap together and be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

This isn't going away after the election and even if the "liberal" media is playing it up for effect, only an idiot thinks that the entire world is playing along just to help the Democrats.

Dude, China still only has 83,000 cases and North Korea still has none....

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
There have been college professors, teachers, prominent left leaning Journalist of Left leaning TV news networks, Newspapers, etc, that have officially gone on record that about 85% of College Professors, TV News, Newspapers, Journalist, etc, are either Liberal, left leaning, and that 85% of content, is at least subtly slanted to the left.

They not only went on record. They used LOGIC, REASON, RATIONAL FACTS, ETC.

Also there is a book called the BRAINWASHING of America, that details this, and has interviewed, quoted the sources, etc.

The book doesnt say that Liberals, Liberal Teachers, Professors, Journalist, news sources, are trying to brainwash people into being liberals

Rather the book says that most teachers, professors, actors, journalist, authors, writers, TV, Movies, Hollywood, entertainment, singers, music, bands, news, newspapers, etc, is either Liberal, or slanted to the left, or left leaning.

The book says that while these dont directly, openly brainwash people into being liberals, that all these liberal sources, with lack of conservative, etc, sources, help expose people to liberalism, and helps both directly, indirectly to gradually help people to start to lean more and more center to liberal, and away from being conservative, without direct brainwashing.

I asked my Dad, who is liberal about this. At first he wouldnt admit it at first. But after thinking about it for a long time. He finally admitted it was likely true.

85% of the above named things, are liberal. 15%(Fox News, 85% of Radio news, talk radio, etc, is conservative.)

I have even had 1 of my Journalism instructors who was liberal, also finally admit this is likely true.

This is not a conspiracy theory, etc.

Its Reality, Logic, Reason, Truth, Fact.

And its also my opinion.

But unlike some opinions, this opinion is based on, backed up by research, observation, fact, truth, logic, reason, reality, interviews, quotes, science, etc.

And so is more then just my, others opinion

Its fact, truth.

Others can call a blue sky red all they want, as their opinion. But it wont change a blue sky into a red sky.

And saying a blue sky is blue is not a opinion, it is a fact, no matter if people disagree, say its a opinion, etc.

Also like others have said Fox News does the same as liberal sources. Its just that more liberal sources that do this, then conservative sources.

This is why I like CSPAN, and news sources like CSPAN, because CSPAN focuses on HARD NEWS, and REPORTS what is said, done, etc, and thinks we are smart enough to figure out what it all means for ourselves, and that summarizing, resaying it, slanting it, spinning it, isnt necessary.

Some think CSPAN is too boring because of that.

But I dont find CSPAN boring at all.

And CSPAN's coverage of campaign trails, debates, the state of the Unions by presidents, the Senate, House, discussing, voting, passing, or shooting down laws, etc, is very informational, educational.

Wish more news, sources were like CSPAN.

There have been college professors, teachers, prominent left leaning Journalist of Left leaning TV news networks, Newspapers, etc, that have officially gone on record that about 85% of College Professors, TV News, Newspapers, Journalist, etc, are either Liberal, left leaning, and that 85% of content, is at least subtly slanted to the left.

They not only went on record. They used LOGIC, REASON, RATIONAL FACTS, ETC.

Also there is a book called the BRAINWASHING of America, that details this, and has interviewed, quoted the sources, etc.

The book doesnt say that Liberals, Liberal Teachers, Professors, Journalist, news sources, are trying to brainwash people into being liberals

Rather the book says that most teachers, professors, actors, journalist, authors, writers, TV, Movies, Hollywood, entertainment, singers, music, bands, news, newspapers, etc, is either Liberal, or slanted to the left, or left leaning.

The book says that while these dont directly, openly brainwash people into being liberals, that all these liberal sources, with lack of conservative, etc, sources, help expose people to liberalism, and helps both directly, indirectly to gradually help people to start to lean more and more center to liberal, and away from being conservative, without direct brainwashing.

I asked my Dad, who is liberal about this. At first he wouldnt admit it at first. But after thinking about it for a long time. He finally admitted it was likely true.

85% of the above named things, are liberal. 15%(Fox News, 85% of Radio news, talk radio, etc, is conservative.)

I have even had 1 of my Journalism instructors who was liberal, also finally admit this is likely true.

This is not a conspiracy theory, etc.

Its Reality, Logic, Reason, Truth, Fact.

And its also my opinion.

But unlike some opinions, this opinion is based on, backed up by research, observation, fact, truth, logic, reason, reality, interviews, quotes, science, etc.

And so is more then just my, others opinion

Its fact, truth.

Others can call a blue sky red all they want, as their opinion. But it wont change a blue sky into a red sky.

And saying a blue sky is blue is not a opinion, it is a fact, no matter if people disagree, say its a opinion, etc.
I wish you Godspeed in your struggle to throw off the yoke of our tyrannical academic and media overlords. Remember that one layer of tin foil is not effective for deflecting their mind control rays. It takes at least two.

Of course, there is one other seldom used method that is 100% effective. You could turn off the TV.

Again, you're either purposefully being obtuse or just don't get it. I'm amused at how some can be convinced that certain groups are living in a bubble and are unable to conceive of some issues facing other groups, yet those same people have no concept of anyone dealing with something like what's being described here.
I’m pretty sure I don’t get it. Please explain. What I get out of Mikalas’ rant and some others is that the perceived liberal leanings of academics and the media is some kind of threat that must be dealt with.

Today more than ever before, liberal and conservative are just labels with no real meaning. So what positions exactly are academia and the media pushing that are antithetical to your well being. Is it abortion, free trade, taxes, deficits, income inequality, race relations, unionization? Or is it all about Trump? As best I can tell, both people that call themselves liberal and people that call themselves conservative are all over the map on all of those issues (except possibly abortion).

I wish you Godspeed in your struggle to throw off the yoke of our tyrannical academic and media overlords. Remember that one layer of tin foil is not effective for deflecting their mind control rays. It takes at least two.

Of course, there is one other seldom used method that is 100% effective. You could turn off the TV.
That used to be the case. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc...24/7 propaganda can be programmed for each and every person in the world with access to a smart phone and cell service or internet. Can you imagine what Goebells might have been able to accomplish today?

I’m pretty sure I don’t get it. Please explain. What I get out of Mikalas’ rant and some others is that the perceived liberal leanings of academics and the media is some kind of threat that must be dealt with.

Today more than ever before, liberal and conservative are just labels with no real meaning. So what positions exactly are academia and the media pushing that are antithetical to your well being. Is it abortion, free trade, taxes, deficits, income inequality, race relations, unionization? Or is it all about Trump? As best I can tell, both people that call themselves liberal and people that call themselves conservative are all over the map on all of those issues (except possibly abortion).
Bingo! “Today more than ever before, liberal and conservative are just labels with no real meaning”. People get so caught up in a specific issue or ideology they throw common sense to the wolves. I personally think the general competitive nature of Americans lends itself to this lunacy when it comes to politics...You are either team red or team blue. If you’re not on my team F You and everything you stand for!

I won't purport to lay out what Mik conveyed, but yes, intellectual dishonesty, bias, selective reporting, and censorship are incredibly impactful. I mean ... really, this is so self-evident I have a hard time believing you really don't understand it. If we're talking about labels, I don't really care ... it's more about ideologies and how those impact the functioning of these institutions.

E.g., science is supposed to be a realm in which the scientific method is used to advance knowledge, free from bias and subject to rigor and scrutiny, providing data and conclusions that are acted on by individuals and institutions. The applications are myriad and as important as anything you could conceive of ... many are nothing less than existential, and have massive consequences for policy, geopolitics, perhaps even our survival as a species, at the risk of melodrama.

Academia, similarly, is supposed to be a place where ideas are freely expressed, challenged, etc., leading to advances in knowledge, and the inculcation of knowledge in future generations. I mean, I could go on, I guess, but really, this should all be pretty clear.

Similarly, the implications for educating hundreds of millions of children, and informing hundreds of millions of people, should be pretty obvious. In each situation, especially the latter, the media is supposed to be discovering and reporting facts in a manner designed to inform the public, not push an agenda.

On any of these issues, it's important to have fair and honest debates to get to the right conclusions, so as to prevent malinvestment, policy errors, waste, loss of competitiveness, and things that are even more important, like not destroying the planet, etc. I'm not going to get roped into delving into specific rabbit holes of particular issues, but yes, obviously any of the issues you identified, and myriad others, have significant implications for me, and all of us, if we're relying on BS instead of accurate information to vote for politicians, push for institutions to adopt policies via methods available to common citizens, and conduct domestic or foreign policy (indirectly via elected and unelected officials).

To the extent your point is that it's not about "liberal" or "conservative," fine, I guess, but we also have increasing polarization among ideologies, so I don't know what you're really getting at, and to the extent it's relevant at all here, I view that as only obliquely so. It's really about ideologies and which dominate these respective institutions and industries. The implications are profound.
Again, you are speaking in generalities. Identify some specific examples of universal untruths that will be forced on you regardless of where you go to school and who your professor is. If you are talking about the media as a source of scientific knowledge, then yes they will let their personal biases leak into their reporting. But the way I see it, it’s on you to look up the underlying scientific article or government statistics and draw your own conclusions. These documents are almost always available online.

If you are content to let Sean Hannity or Rachael Maddow do your thinking for you - then have at it. I wish people wouldn’t do that but can’t really do anything about it. For what it’s worth, I think the influence of the 24 hour news channels is a bit overstated. Fox has maybe 4 million daily viewers and MSNBC and CNN combined have about 4 million daily viewers. That’s not a large percentage of registered voters and it’s mostly people whose mind is already made up.

I won't purport to lay out what Mik conveyed, but yes, intellectual dishonesty, bias, selective reporting, and censorship are incredibly impactful. I mean ... really, this is so self-evident I have a hard time believing you really don't understand it ...
You've probably been told this before, but I want to commend you for your precise and exquisite writing ability.

You are the CougZone equivalent of Homer or Tolstoy.

I often have to read your posts 2-3 times to grasp everything you've spelled out, but I learn something new every time.

Thanks again.

You've probably been told this before, but I want to commend you for your precise and exquisite writing ability.

You are the CougZone equivalent of Homer or Tolstoy.

I often have to read your posts 2-3 times to grasp everything you've spelled out, but I learn something new every time.

Thanks again.
He’s a lawyer. I’m sure a very good one too

The thing that I find frustrating about the current climate is the lack of intellectual integrity on both sides, but on the right in particular. I grew up as a Republican and I used to be very proud of being one. However, the election of Obama in 2008 has transformed the party into a very narrow minded, inwardly focused monstrosity.

Living in Kansas and watching the TV commercials here is a nauseating experience. PRO-GOD, PRO-GUNS, PRO-BORDER SECURITY AND GOSH DARN IT......PRO-TRUMP! The toolbag that licks Trump's nutsack the longest wins. It makes me understand why my dad decided to move to rural Washington in 1983 to get away from the mind-numbing stupidity.

The future of our country goes far beyond what kind of guns you can buy at a store, how many 'spics they let across the border and what kind of being you worship, but the Republican Party has dumbed down the conversation. Farmers in Kansas gladly accept millions of dollars in welfare in the form of farm subsidies but those same jerkwads will generate spit bubbles when talking about their disgust at poor people of color getting welfare. I laugh when I see Pro-Life Republicans talk about how sacred life is and then follow it up with a commercial about how worthless immigrants are. It's amazing to realize that in the eyes of the Republican Party, a life is only sacred until it exits the womb. After that, poor bastard is on their own and if they don't like it...."move to Mexico!". People in red states love to rant about the importance of the second amendment while taking a dump on the first amendment.

People can talk about the liberal slanting of CNN, MSNBC or whatever, but I've never seen them blatantly lie on a nightly basis the way that Fox News does. In the past 10 years, the Republican Party quit worrying about trying to make our country as good as it could be so that they could start worrying about how profitable it can be. I don't enjoy paying excessive taxes and I don't want a world where liberals get to set the agenda without push-back, but I'm really sick and tired of Conservative Christians talking about what good people they are as they take a collective dump on everyone that isn't just like them and worry about how much money that they are getting to take home.

I miss the days where it felt that compromise seemed possible, but maybe it never was and I was just too naive to see it. I was proud to vote Republican from 1988 to 2008, but 2012 felt dirty to me and I could never vote for a despicable human being like Trump. I'm ashamed to be a Registered Republican these days.

Two very simple questions, Flat.

Do you acknowledge the Constitution as the supreme law of the United States?

Do you acknowledge the first 10 Amendments (commonly referred to as the Bill of Rights) as having been lawfully approved as outlined in Article 5 of the US Constitution?

Two very simple questions, Flat.

Do you acknowledge the Constitution as the supreme law of the United States?

Do you acknowledge the first 10 Amendments (commonly referred to as the Bill of Rights) as having been lawfully approved as outlined in Article 5 of the US Constitution?
What about the other 17 amendments. You get a pass for leaving out the 18th amendment but the rest are pretty important.

What about the other 17 amendments. You get a pass for leaving out the 18th amendment but the rest are pretty important.

The questions were address to Flat.

But if you have are trying to make a point - which of the other amendments were established outside the procedure outlined in Article 5?

ADVERTISEMENT