ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-12 media rights deal rumor from the Athletic

ttowncoug

Hall Of Fame
Sep 9, 2001
This was from a week or so ago...

I do like the idea of having CBS in the fold for some added primetime exposure.

The other piece of the puzzle is how the conference handles the Pac-12 networks. Would have JV with Amazon? Sell to Amazon?

I also noticed the NHL (hockey) is rumored to be plunging into streaming more readily. I think going slow is a good strategy move by the conference.

“ESPN will be prepared to split the Pac-12’s media rights with Amazon, but will not offer the conference significantly more than it pays for the Big 12. That will lead the Pac-12 to sell almost its entire media package to Amazon for a price that is slightly higher than what the Big 12 gets from ESPN and Fox. The Pac-12 will carve out a handful of prime-time football games that it then will sell to CBS.”

I don't have a huge problem with late kickoffs, if each team is limited to one or two a year. Having half your games at 7 on Saturday night is an issue. They should try to put a key game on with a 6:00- 6:30 kickoff (7:30 is too late) every Saturday night, look at the draw you get from Sunday NFL games and Monday night football. Thursday and Friday night games should be eliminated. Stick with all Saturday games. first Kickoff at noon, then 3, then 6, on on the pac 12 network via Amazon, and the other on CBS. the SEC kicks off many games a 5 PM PST, or 8 Eastern. The night games are a major draw for TV money, as much as I don't like them, you limit your earnings potential by eliminating them. You can't beg for more TV Money, and then dictate times to the networks. Even the Rose Bowl had to give up their 2pm time slot to accommodate the new playoff format in 2024.

I don't have a huge problem with late kickoffs, if each team is limited to one or two a year. Having half your games at 7 on Saturday night is an issue. They should try to put a key game on with a 6:00- 6:30 kickoff (7:30 is too late) every Saturday night, look at the draw you get from Sunday NFL games and Monday night football. Thursday and Friday night games should be eliminated. Stick with all Saturday games. first Kickoff at noon, then 3, then 6, on on the pac 12 network via Amazon, and the other on CBS. the SEC kicks off many games a 5 PM PST, or 8 Eastern. The night games are a major draw for TV money, as much as I don't like them, you limit your earnings potential by eliminating them. You can't beg for more TV Money, and then dictate times to the networks. Even the Rose Bowl had to give up their 2pm time slot to accommodate the new playoff format in 2024.
I think a 6pm late game on Amazon could be a good draw. Not too late.

My guess is they will try and get CBS to do a 5pm game that would have a decent TV. I guess is ESPN is pretty much going all in with the SEC at their 5pm spots on ABC and ESPN, so having some reasonable big network exposure is good for the conference. NBC is getting into the mix with the Big-10 so it will be very interesting to see how ratings shake out with so much competition.

Reactions: 425cougfan
ADVERTISEMENT