ADVERTISEMENT

Pac 12 scheduling

BiggsCoug

Hall Of Fame
Feb 5, 2003
Article on espn about not changing the 9 league game schedule... At this point I would rather see the league play all 11. Its clear schools dont have the cash or the salesmanship to get 4 non league games done. Just play all 11, dog the other conferences like Clubber Lang did Rocky Balboa. Youre not in the playoff anyways. Focus your travel on the West Coast, let teams sell an away game season ticket package, get your boys out of town and in their own beds as fast as you can.

When I look at the teams that are in it every year, Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, etc... Their kids are monsters. They dont go to the weight room to lift. They go to lift the actual weight room. Maybe if PAC 12 strength coaches had to prepare the kids for 11 league games you would see faster, bigger, stronger bodies on teams and matriculate into the playoff because they got better.

Article on espn about not changing the 9 league game schedule... At this point I would rather see the league play all 11. Its clear schools dont have the cash or the salesmanship to get 4 non league games done. Just play all 11, dog the other conferences like Clubber Lang did Rocky Balboa. Youre not in the playoff anyways. Focus your travel on the West Coast, let teams sell an away game season ticket package, get your boys out of town and in their own beds as fast as you can.

When I look at the teams that are in it every year, Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, etc... Their kids are monsters. They don't go to the weight room to lift. They go to lift the actual weight room. Maybe if PAC 12 strength coaches had to prepare the kids for 11 league games you would see faster, bigger, stronger bodies on teams and matriculate into the playoff because they got better.

Yeah, I read that last night. While I don't necessarily agree with your solution, I do kind of like it. Until the NCAA bans D-1 teams from playing D-1AA teams at all, or at least quits counting them toward bowl eligibility, there really is no solution. SEC teams have ZERO motivation to play meaningful non-con games. Other Power 5 conferences have some motivation, I guess if only because they are fighting to get a playoff berth instead of the other P5's.

It gets back to my fantastic solution for the playoffs. 8 teams. Power 5 champs, best Group of 5 champ, 2 wildcards. Pac-12 gets in there even under the Biggs 11-game conf. schedule. Best of all worlds. If the "Jan 1" bowls are th e1st round, stipulate that the Pac-12 champ plays in the Rose Bowl every year. Win win win for everyone. The SEC even gets at least 2 teams in. So what.

Yeah, I read that last night. While I don't necessarily agree with your solution, I do kind of like it. Until the NCAA bans D-1 teams from playing D-1AA teams at all, or at least quits counting them toward bowl eligibility, there really is no solution. SEC teams have ZERO motivation to play meaningful non-con games. Other Power 5 conferences have some motivation, I guess if only because they are fighting to get a playoff berth instead of the other P5's.

It gets back to my fantastic solution for the playoffs. 8 teams. Power 5 champs, best Group of 5 champ, 2 wildcards. Pac-12 gets in there even under the Biggs 11-game conf. schedule. Best of all worlds. If the "Jan 1" bowls are th e1st round, stipulate that the Pac-12 champ plays in the Rose Bowl every year. Win win win for everyone. The SEC even gets at least 2 teams in. So what.
Mostly true, but Auburn gets a gold star next to their name for putting the likes of UW, Oregon, Clemson (numerous games), and us on their NC game schedule over the last decade.

The P12 has a serious give a $hit problem, and it’s not related to the schedule. The passion and interest of our fans doesn’t hold a candle to that of the SEC, ACC, and Big10 schools. TV networks know it, recruits know it. The P12 had 3 schools with actual (not reported) attendance over 40K last season. WSU started 8-1 last season and was averaging around 31K. The TV ratings and earning numbers are even more tilted against us.

The P12 needs better branding, better exposure, and better leadership. The SECs tagline is “It Just Means More.” Ouch. That couldn’t be more accurate.

The P12 has a serious give a $hit problem, and it’s not related to the schedule. The passion and interest of our fans doesn’t hold a candle to that of the SEC, ACC, and Big10 schools. TV networks know it, recruits know it. The P12 had 3 schools with actual (not reported) attendance over 40K last season. WSU started 8-1 last season and was averaging around 31K. The TV ratings and earning numbers are even more tilted against us.

The P12 needs better branding, better exposure, and better leadership. The SECs tagline is “It Just Means More.” Ouch. That couldn’t be more accurate.

Every school has a captive audience for 4 or 5 years. If they arent selling the students on being at games during that time they have failed.

It means more in the SEC because the universities created the culture of it meaning more. Pac 12 schools dont care.

When I look at the teams that are in it every year, Clemson, Bama, Oklahoma, etc... Their kids are monsters. They dont go to the weight room to lift. They go to lift the actual weight room. Maybe if PAC 12 strength coaches had to prepare the kids for 11 league games you would see faster, bigger, stronger bodies on teams and matriculate into the playoff because they got better.

I’d like the Playoff requirements to look something like this:
BCS Conferences Play a minimum of 10 games against BCS foes with at least 5 on the road.
Group of 5 schools must play at least 2 games against BCS foes with at least 1 on the road to be considered.

Expand to 8 team playoff. 5 BCS Champs, Best of group of 5 and 2 at large. (Stealing/Agreeing with Loyal).

Seeding and the 2 at large teams would give the talking heads and sports radio something to argue about which to me is part of the fun of college football.

Last edited:
The P12 has a serious give a $hit problem, and it’s not related to the schedule.

It means more in the SEC because the universities created the culture of it meaning more. Pac 12 schools dont care.

I don't really agree that it is a Pac-12 marketing failure. I think it is the culture of the overall population of the West coast as opposed to the South and to some extent the Midwest. People out here aren't as passionate or single-minded about college football. And societally, that may not be a bad thing. All the marketing in the world won't change that.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT