ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-2 Commissioner - Teresa Gould

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
Not a real surprise here, but here promotion is official. Starts March 1....which I assume means GK's office needs to be empty this week. That'll give the custodial staff time to get the stink of incompetence out of the room.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...resa-gould-1st-female-power-five-commissioner

Also...interesting quote from Schulz:

"As the first female commissioner of an Autonomy Five conference, Teresa will be able to bring new perspectives and fresh ideas to the table as the industry works to find its way through this shifting landscape."

Not a real surprise here, but here promotion is official. Starts March 1....which I assume means GK's office needs to be empty this week. That'll give the custodial staff time to get the stink of incompetence out of the room.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...resa-gould-1st-female-power-five-commissioner

"As the first female commissioner of an Autonomy Five conference, Teresa will be able to bring new perspectives and fresh ideas to the table as the industry works to find its way through this shifting landscape."
This is another absolute colossal F-up. Appoint her as acting or interim? Yes, for sure. Permanent? NO. Shulz and the OSU guy just totally F-ed up our changes for a reverse merger with the MT West. You think Gloria is going to play ball now?

And Teresa's resume, while OK, is not that outstanding and is dwarfed by Gloria's. Why wasn't she chosen as Commish when Larry Scott left? She was deputy then.

Terrible mistake.

How is it our “brilliant” collective minds of some of the most prestigious universities in the country hire two idiots in Larry Scott then GK.

Then they have the brain power to have four schools join ten big ten . Love that travel ….

How is it our “brilliant” collective minds of some of the most prestigious universities in the country hire two idiots in Larry Scott then GK.

Then they have the brain power to have four schools join ten big ten . Love that travel ….
I don't understand why no one else seems to think this topic is more important on a WSU fan site than the battle between good and evil thread.

This premature appointment is huge, and is a huge mistake. In my esteemed and all-knowing and all-spouting opinion. This totally F's the reverse merger, which is our ONLY and BEST hope for any kind of realistic survival. Gloria and the Mtn West will not subjugate themselves to a competent but wholly underqualified Pac-2 Commissioner. Who will probably make more well-meaning but inexperienced mistakes.

Am I the only one who thinks this or gives a shit?

And nothing against Teresa. She would do just fine under Gloria. The reverse? Not so much.

I don't understand why no one else seems to think this topic is more important on a WSU fan site than the battle between good and evil thread.

This premature appointment is huge, and is a huge mistake. In my esteemed and all-knowing and all-spouting opinion. This totally F's the reverse merger, which is our ONLY and BEST hope for any kind of realistic survival. Gloria and the Mtn West will not subjugate themselves to a competent but wholly underqualified Pac-2 Commissioner. Who will probably make more well-meaning but inexperienced mistakes.

And nothing against Teresa. She would do just fine under Gloria. The reverse? Not so much.
You're starting to sound like Biggs - just bitching about whatever the news is regardless, without a whole lot of depth to your reasoning. I'm not saying that to piss you off, but rather challenge you to back up your claims of this being a mistake.

I think the bigger point that you're missing is that OSU and WSU have no plans on merging with the MWC based on your logic. Whether or not that is a mistake - who knows. What I do believe is that throwing in our lot with the MWC at this time relegates the two P2 schools to junior status and eliminates any future chance at sitting at the table with the big boys.

You're starting to sound like Biggs - just bitching about whatever the news is regardless, without a whole lot of depth to your reasoning. I'm not saying that to piss you off, but rather challenge you to back up your claims of this being a mistake.

I think the bigger point that you're missing is that OSU and WSU have no plans on merging with the MWC based on your logic. Whether or not that is a mistake - who knows. What I do believe is that throwing in our lot with the MWC at this time relegates the two P2 schools to junior status and eliminates any future chance at sitting at the table with the big boys.
Fair enough buddy.

I resent and don't resemble any comparison to Biggs :)

There is a lot of depth to my reasoning. My bitch against Teresa's permanent appt is that it effectively and unnecessarily deep sixes the potential reverse merger that was clearly on the table. Like Teresa was going anywhere. It's not throwing our lot in with them now, it was just keeping our options intact. Which we just F-ed.

Sitting with the big boys? The B1G and SEC are out of the question, forever. The Big-12 recently took on 4 G5 schools. The ACC is a mess. The whole big boy table thing is about, and only about, making the FB playoffs and getting a few extra million.

Finally, if you look at the Mtn West schools, they are a lot more like us than any other conference, including the former Pac-12. Rural-ish in general, land grant in general, mid-size student bodies and facilities. Quite a few R1 institutions. And all out West. For us to act like snobs towards the Mtn West when we were kicked to the curb by the Traitorous 10 and the other conferences is a little silly, IMHO.

I agree

I’m still confused how there’s still some fantasy that there’s any other option. If WSU and OSU were going to get into the Big 10 or Big 12, they would have already.

They need to get into a conference within 2 years, and the most likely avenue is using MWC teams. Sure, if the ACC implodes, maybe Stanford and Cal come back…but that’s too many ifs that are too far down the road. And if that occurs, the whole deck gets reshuffled again anyway.

The play right now is the MWC, period. We need at least 6 of their teams, and what we offer is access. We still have a CFP vote and an avenue to an automatic berth. That needs to be leveraged to the hilt - both against the B10, B12, SEC, and ACC, and in talks with the MWC. Because that’s all we have.

This hire certainly could be seen as weak, but let’s face reality. Who’s going to come aboard a conference that’s an inch away from not existing…and who’s going to do it cheap? Plus…who can take over with any real knowledge of the players, circumstances, and possibilities? Gotta accept it for what it is.

Reactions: mikalalas
I’m still confused how there’s still some fantasy that there’s any other option. If WSU and OSU were going to get into the Big 10 or Big 12, they would have already.

They need to get into a conference within 2 years, and the most likely avenue is using MWC teams. Sure, if the ACC implodes, maybe Stanford and Cal come back…but that’s too many ifs that are too far down the road. And if that occurs, the whole deck gets reshuffled again anyway.

The play right now is the MWC, period. We need at least 6 of their teams, and what we offer is access. We still have a CFP vote and an avenue to an automatic berth. That needs to be leveraged to the hilt - both against the B10, B12, SEC, and ACC, and in talks with the MWC. Because that’s all we have.

This hire certainly could be seen as weak, but let’s face reality. Who’s going to come aboard a conference that’s an inch away from not existing…and who’s going to do it cheap? Plus…who can take over with any real knowledge of the players, circumstances, and possibilities? Gotta accept it for what it is.
Sounds like you are sort of agreeing with most of my points. That said, you bring up the possible automatic berth in the CFB playoffs. So there we go - it's about that and only that. Nothing else matters. How simple minded (not you, everyone). Our automatic berth is already gone. Adding 6 MW teams (and what other G5's?) will not restore it.

As far as Teresa goes, where was she going to bail to? But whatever. F it.

Sounds like you are sort of agreeing with most of my points. That said, you bring up the possible automatic berth in the CFB playoffs. So there we go - it's about that and only that. Nothing else matters. How simple minded (not you, everyone). Our automatic berth is already gone. Adding 6 MW teams (and what other G5's?) will not restore it.

It's not gone yet. And as long as Schulz has a vote, it can't be taken away. If I recall correctly, that means we get to remain a thorn in the CFP's side until after the current CFP deal expires, and after the point we're required to be back in a conference. So it's a pretty huge bargaining chip.

It seems extremely likely that eventually that automatic berth is going away. But if the current powers want that to happen under the current deal, we've got the leverage to make them give something in return. That "something" should leave us a realistic path to a CFP berth.

We could leverage the vote for a piece of the pie - a straight payout (which should actually be an annual payout - we shouldn't even entertain a 1-time payout unless it's huge...and it won't be). I think that if the powers want to move to a 5+7 model, it should be with a caveat: the combined MWC/Pac-2 - whatever teams that includes - shares in the annual distributions, and gets a guaranteed berth if they've got a team in the top 15...even if a different G5 conference already has a team in the playoff.

We're basically in a position where we will be helping to finally and officially vote ourselves out of the P5, so we need to get something in return. So it needs to be worth it...and leave us a path to the playoff.

Teresa Gould really is by far the most logical hire. If they went outside the conference for a hire, how long would it take that new person to get up to speed? She can step right in an manage the conference. Plus, unless WSU and OSU want to load up a Brinks truck, why would anyone want this job right now?

Lastly and most importantly, WSU and OSU are really in charge. She is just going to do what WSU and OSU want.

It's not gone yet. And as long as Schulz has a vote, it can't be taken away. If I recall correctly, that means we get to remain a thorn in the CFP's side until after the current CFP deal expires, and after the point we're required to be back in a conference. So it's a pretty huge bargaining chip.

It seems extremely likely that eventually that automatic berth is going away. But if the current powers want that to happen under the current deal, we've got the leverage to make them give something in return. That "something" should leave us a realistic path to a CFP berth.

We could leverage the vote for a piece of the pie - a straight payout (which should actually be an annual payout - we shouldn't even entertain a 1-time payout unless it's huge...and it won't be). I think that if the powers want to move to a 5+7 model, it should be with a caveat: the combined MWC/Pac-2 - whatever teams that includes - shares in the annual distributions, and gets a guaranteed berth if they've got a team in the top 15...even if a different G5 conference already has a team in the playoff.

We're basically in a position where we will be helping to finally and officially vote ourselves out of the P5, so we need to get something in return. So it needs to be worth it...and leave us a path to the playoff.
Here's what puzzles me. The original 6+6 format gives automatic buds to the 6 highest ranked conference champs. The 5+7 model does the same except it's the top 5. In both scenarios, everyone just assumes that the Power 5 (4) champs will all be among the top ranked, making room for one G5 champ. While a good guess, it isn't a certainty.

The rest of what you describe more or less is what the Pac-2 is asking for in order to approve 5+7.

Teresa Gould really is by far the most logical hire. If they went outside the conference for a hire, how long would it take that new person to get up to speed? She can step right in an manage the conference. Plus, unless WSU and OSU want to load up a Brinks truck, why would anyone want this job right now?

Lastly and most importantly, WSU and OSU are really in charge. She is just going to do what WSU and OSU want.
As a well-paid interim, yes. Until the day arrives that we merge with the MW or not. Now we have put a dagger in that option. Our only real option. Now we have nothing.

Just because Gould was named INTERIM, does NOT mean that PAC 2 won't choose either Gloria or Oliver Luck(who would be great choices), later.

Also the MWC teams can IGNORE what Gloria says and vote to do either a reverse merger, or to have top 9 join PAC, etc.

How about you let things play out, since we don't know what will happen.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
Here's what puzzles me. The original 6+6 format gives automatic buds to the 6 highest ranked conference champs. The 5+7 model does the same except it's the top 5. In both scenarios, everyone just assumes that the Power 5 (4) champs will all be among the top ranked, making room for one G5 champ. While a good guess, it isn't a certainty.

The rest of what you describe more or less is what the Pac-2 is asking for in order to approve 5+7.

Its a certainty.

Go look at the last 10-15 years of college football rankings at the end of the regular season. When this whole thing went down I did just that and I think there might be one... maybe two exceptions where a G5 team was in the top 12.

Loyal still does not seem to get that BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, etc, ARE DYING to join a REBUILT PAC consisting of either CHERRY PICKED TEAMS, OR TOP 9 MWC TEAMS leaving the bottom teams behind, and that the TOP, BEST MWC TEAMS ARE DYING, WANT TO BE CHERRY PICKED BY PAC AND WILL SAY YES TO THAT NO MATTER WHAT GLORIA SAYS.

He does not get that's the situation will be kinda like the situation with GK, that just like GK was saying that everybody was going to stay put, and then everyone bailed, likewise despite what Gloria says the MWC teams can join PAC no matter what Gloria says just like the PAC teams leaving no matter what GK said.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug

The PAC 2 can rebuild by either adding the top 9,10 best MWC teams, and leaving the bottom MWC teams behind, by having the top 9,10 MWC teams VOTE for that no matter what Gloria says.

Or

PAC could add BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, Airforce, Colorado St, Utah St, Stanford or Cal or both, Memphis, USF, ACC leftovers like Boston College, etc.

In that scenario it does not matter what Gloria said because BSU, etc, want to be in a better conference, not be stuck in MWC

And Memphis, USF, ACC left overs wouldn't want to be stuck in AAC.

And because a rebuilt PAC Like that would be good enough to secure PAC hybrid P4/G5 status, 1 CFP spot, 1 NY6 spot, 17+ million per year, which BETTER THEN THE 6 TO 8 TO 10 MILLION PER YEAR OF THE MWC, AAC.

Just because Gould was named INTERIM, does NOT mean that PAC 2 won't choose either Gloria or Oliver Luck(who would be great choices), later.

Also the MWC teams can IGNORE what Gloria says and vote to do either a reverse merger, or to have top 9 join PAC, etc.

How about you let things play out, since we don't know what will happen.
Mik - Gloria was named PERMANENT, not INTERIM. That is the sole reason for this thread. Wake up please.

And to your other ramblings, I'm pretty sure that you have absolutely or close to zero insight into what any MW or other schools want. Your pals Memphis, USF and Tulane are being floated as ACC replacement schools if FSU, etc. leave.

Good decision on the surface. It seems she'll primarily be a "caretaker" to a degree and keep the day-to-day operations going.

I like that they are branding this as a POWER 5 commissioner. I think her being a female greatly HELPS keep the Pac-2 intact from an inclusion/diversity standpoint, which is a great angle.

We now wait on the ACC implosion and grab Cal/Stanford and bring the band back together.

The 6+6 model includes one spot for the highest ranked G5 conference champ...and that's it. The rest of the slots will be filled by B10/B12/SEC/ACC runners-up. So the top 2 from every P conference could get in, with room for 3 highly ranked teams that didn't play in the conference championship (or Notre Dame).
The 5+7 model would do the same, except that from what I understand, it guarantees playoff berths to the B10/B12/SEC/ACC champs regardless of ranking, and to the highest ranked G5. It would also give the P conferences an additional berth at the expense of the Pac-12's former automatic berth. The G5 still only gets one.

The Pac-2 need to withhold their vote until/unless the others agree that the 5+7 model will allow a Pac-2/MWC automatic qualifier in addition to the G5 automatic qualifier. Basically, it's a 5+7 model, except in years where the Pac/MWC make the top 15 (or something)...and in those years it's a 6+6 model. Plus, we get some money.

As a well-paid interim, yes. Until the day arrives that we merge with the MW or not. Now we have put a dagger in that option. Our only real option. Now we have nothing.
I don't think it kills anything. She's a caretaker, and her deal probably includes - whether explicitly or behind the scenes - an acknowledgement that this is a caretaker position in a temporary situation, and that the position will either be eliminated or folded into the conference leadership when a merger occurs.

Reactions: 425cougfan
The 6+6 model includes one spot for the highest ranked G5 conference champ...and that's it. The rest of the slots will be filled by B10/B12/SEC/ACC runners-up. So the top 2 from every P conference could get in, with room for 3 highly ranked teams that didn't play in the conference championship (or Notre Dame).
The 5+7 model would do the same, except that from what I understand, it guarantees playoff berths to the B10/B12/SEC/ACC champs regardless of ranking, and to the highest ranked G5. It would also give the P conferences an additional berth at the expense of the Pac-12's former automatic berth. The G5 still only gets one.

The Pac-2 need to withhold their vote until/unless the others agree that the 5+7 model will allow a Pac-2/MWC automatic qualifier in addition to the G5 automatic qualifier. Basically, it's a 5+7 model, except in years where the Pac/MWC make the top 15 (or something)...and in those years it's a 6+6 model. Plus, we get some money.
Actually, no and no. Refer back to my post, which as always is accurate and spot on. Also see link below, they voted and the 5+7 is in. Summary:
  • WSU and OSU cannot get a bid based on being the Pac-2 champ
  • Technically the P4 are not guaranteed bids, but in reality, as mentioned by Bleed, they will get them as highest ranked teams. The highest ranked G5 is in, as likely team #5. Although in 2021 Cincinnatti would have been #4. The rest of the 7 are TBD
  • The article infers that the Pac-2 will continue to share in the Power 5 CFP distribution for the next 2 years. What we were after. Beyond that, who knows...

Actually, no and no. Refer back to my post, which as always is accurate and spot on. Also see link below, they voted and the 5+7 is in. Summary:
  • WSU and OSU cannot get a bid based on being the Pac-2 champ
  • Technically the P4 are not guaranteed bids, but in reality, as mentioned by Bleed, they will get them as highest ranked teams. The highest ranked G5 is in, as likely team #5. Although in 2021 Cincinnatti would have been #4. The rest of the 7 are TBD
  • The article infers that the Pac-2 will continue to share in the Power 5 CFP distribution for the next 2 years. What we were after. Beyond that, who knows...
My read of that is that we took the short-term payout: 2 years of full shares of the CFP, and consideration of the same in the next contract. IMO, we sold too cheap...but then, our limited leverage had a time limit anyway.

What's interesting is this: "The CFP intentionally won't refer to the Group of 5 in its description of the format, though, because there is a chance that a champion from one of the Power 4 conferences finishes ranked below the top champion from the American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt or Mid-American Conference."

I see this as twisting the words to remove a guarantee from the G5 schools. If they're not being referred to in the description, there will come a day - and it won't take long - where all 12 of the teams in the playoff are from the P4. Guaranteed the G5 is going to get screwed.

The other consequence of this is that we just gave away the little bit we could offer to the MWC in a merger. We had the potential of access to the playoff, and if they merged with us, they had the same access. We gave that away...and with it the biggest selling point we had. Where I see specific application is with Boise State. They've taken a disproportionate share of the MWC revenue. We could have used playoff access as the lever to get them to drop that. Not anymore. The MWC can now bend us over, because OSU/WSU need the MWC more than they need us.

Reactions: HCoug
My read of that is that we took the short-term payout: 2 years of full shares of the CFP, and consideration of the same in the next contract. IMO, we sold too cheap...but then, our limited leverage had a time limit anyway.

What's interesting is this: "The CFP intentionally won't refer to the Group of 5 in its description of the format, though, because there is a chance that a champion from one of the Power 4 conferences finishes ranked below the top champion from the American Athletic Conference, Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt or Mid-American Conference."

I see this as twisting the words to remove a guarantee from the G5 schools. If they're not being referred to in the description, there will come a day - and it won't take long - where all 12 of the teams in the playoff are from the P4. Guaranteed the G5 is going to get screwed.

The other consequence of this is that we just gave away the little bit we could offer to the MWC in a merger. We had the potential of access to the playoff, and if they merged with us, they had the same access. We gave that away...and with it the biggest selling point we had. Where I see specific application is with Boise State. They've taken a disproportionate share of the MWC revenue. We could have used playoff access as the lever to get them to drop that. Not anymore. The MWC can now bend us over, because OSU/WSU need the MWC more than they need us.
Yeah I agree that our leverage had a time limit. Next contract, "please think of us" is all we can expect.

What I don't have an answer to is how and when it was decided that the Pac-2 champ couldn't get one of the 5 automatic bids. I get the why, but the how and when escape me. Certainly couldn't have been this Board given the need for unanimity? Must be something in a pre-breakup rule.

I don't see not mentioning the G5 specifically the same way as you. They don't specifically mention the P4 either. And, since the G5 Presidents sit on this Board, they won't vote for a future change that omits their guarantee. Unless the unanimity thing gets dropped. Might be interesting if the Pac-2 goes away, merger or not. That would leave a Board of 10. five G5, four P5, and ND, Guess time will tell.

Yeah I agree that our leverage had a time limit. Next contract, "please think of us" is all we can expect.

What I don't have an answer to is how and when it was decided that the Pac-2 champ couldn't get one of the 5 automatic bids. I get the why, but the how and when escape me. Certainly couldn't have been this Board given the need for unanimity? Must be something in a pre-breakup rule.

I don't see not mentioning the G5 specifically the same way as you. They don't specifically mention the P4 either. And, since the G5 Presidents sit on this Board, they won't vote for a future change that omits their guarantee. Unless the unanimity thing gets dropped. Might be interesting if the Pac-2 goes away, merger or not. That would leave a Board of 10. five G5, four P5, and ND, Guess time will tell.
Wouldn't a unanimous vote be needed to drop unanimity?

You are wrong.

A rebuilt PAC consisting of WSU, OSU, BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, Airforce, Colorado St, Utah St, Memphis, USF, ACC leftovers like CAL, Boston College, etc, is ACTUALLY A VERY GOOD CONFERENCE THAT WOULD GET 1 CFP SPOT, 1 NY6, ALAMO BOWL, HOLIDAY BOWL, VEGAS BOWL, SUN BOWL, 18+ MILLION PER YEAR, PER TEAM COMPARED TO THE 8 MIL PER YEAR PER TEAM OF MWC, AAC, HYBRID P4,5, G5 status
Mik - Gloria was named PERMANENT, not INTERIM. That is the sole reason for this thread. Wake up please.

And to your other ramblings, I'm pretty sure that you have absolutely or close to zero insight into what any MW or other schools want. Your pals Memphis, USF and Tulane are being floated as ACC replacement schools if FSU, etc. leave.

I said TERESA GOULD WAS NAMED INTERIM,

I DID NOT SAY GLORIA WAS NAMED INTERIM.

PLEASE WORK ON YOUR READING COMPREHENSION.

You are wrong.

A rebuilt PAC consisting of WSU, OSU, BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, Airforce, Colorado St, Utah St, Memphis, USF, ACC leftovers like CAL, Boston College, etc, is ACTUALLY A VERY GOOD CONFERENCE THAT WOULD GET 1 CFP SPOT, 1 NY6, ALAMO BOWL, HOLIDAY BOWL, VEGAS BOWL, SUN BOWL, 18+ MILLION PER YEAR, PER TEAM COMPARED TO THE 8 MIL PER YEAR PER TEAM OF MWC, AAC, HYBRID P4,5, G5 status

I said TERESA GOULD WAS NAMED INTERIM,

I DID NOT SAY GLORIA WAS NAMED INTERIM.

PLEASE WORK ON YOUR READING COMPREHENSION.
"Gloria" was an oops which I went back and corrected. If you bothered to look at my post again, which you did not. And Teresa was appointed as permanent, not interim as you so incorrectly stated. So my brain fart on the name doesn't change the fact that you were incorrect.

On your other ramble, you just keep thinking it buddy. Perhaps I will be proven wrong. But you have no F-ing idea how things will pan out, so don't tell me I'm wrong. How about "well I disagree there Loyal", or something halfway civil? Below is a link that talks about your East coast pals Tulane, USF and Memphis.

There is exactly zero chance the cfp committee would have accepted the P2+ as a P5 conference and granted us the guaranteed spot had we shoved that merger through. ZERO

I

Answered my own question here. The Board of Commissioners adopted the new rule that leagues must have 8 members to be eligible for an automatic berth. So how come they can make that decision, but the Board of managers (Presidents) must make others? What a cluster.....

Doesn't matter who the commissioner is we are all screwed. The current model which favors the "student athlete", of portal and NIL is not sustainable. There are more court cases coming which will also favor the "student athlete", and within a few years the entire the system will implode, and there will be a big reset. ESPN and Fox will come up with their 30-40 team super league in the SEC and Big 10 Strong holds, and major markets. The weaker Big 10 and SEC teams will get relegated as well. WSU does not have the money to compete or even be within reach of a top 40-60 program, which might actually work to our advantage when this all implodes. WSU will end up in a league with many Big 12 schools and Pac 12 schools that don't make the super 30-40, and maybe a few MW schools it will just take 3-6 years to get there, and that league will name its own commissioner. I would guess there will be a league for football, and basketball maybe, and all other sports will end up in a regional league. Having the other teams such as soccer, golf, softball, baseball, track, ect, travel 3 time zones and 2500 miles away every other weekend makes no sense, the greed-colored football glasses just can't see it yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT