ADVERTISEMENT

Pac-2 pausing expansion efforts

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Aug 24, 2022
Per CBS (link below).

So, thoughts on this? We are quoted as wanting to evaluate our media rights before moving further. Well I have some thoughts - like we haven't done this yet? Before offering the Traitorous 5, and before letting Gonzaga pollute our conference?

Which brings me back to Sacramento State. They have announced that they will tear down their FB stadium and build a new 25K stadium (I would advise them to make it 30K, or at least allow for future expansion to 30K). They have raised $35M in NIL money from the community. The Sacramento Kings have offered up their NBA stadium for Sac State's use. And it is all publicly stated as things that could garner a Pac offer.

So is the Pac even talking to them? And seriously, aren't they as or more attractive than USU? ESPN bottom 10 dweller BTW), especially with all these commitments? Watch out for the MW to come after them if we dawdle. Hell they are talking to FCS Tarleton State, whoever and wherever the hell they are. I think we should snag them. Their population footprint is bigger than anyone except maybe SDSU.

Poo-poo them all you want. They are swinging for the fences, with the backing to prove it. Right smack in the middle of our footprint.

Last edited:
I look at it as the Pac-12 looking longingly at the AAC still. Those teams left the door open but wanted harder numbers. I think Texas state saying no to MW but “for now” to staying in sunbelt reads the same. My bet is Sac State had been considered and likely still is. Once the money is settled by say of we get these teams it pays around this, these other options net this…etc. I think they had too general of offers overall. I also think the basketball and football may be sold separately as some other conferences have alluded to wanting to do. If that happens we could really see a very unique new conference happen that will potentially have more pull than a moderate rebuild would gain. I read a lot into things though so I may be way off…lol.

Reactions: mikalalas
I look at it as the Pac-12 looking longingly at the AAC still. Those teams left the door open but wanted harder numbers. I think Texas state saying no to MW but “for now” to staying in sunbelt reads the same. My bet is Sac State had been considered and likely still is. Once the money is settled by say of we get these teams it pays around this, these other options net this…etc. I think they had too general of offers overall. I also think the basketball and football may be sold separately as some other conferences have alluded to wanting to do. If that happens we could really see a very unique new conference happen that will potentially have more pull than a moderate rebuild would gain. I read a lot into things though so I may be way off…lol.
Well here's my prediction. Sac State calls Teresa, and says OK, we want in, and here are all the things we are doing to make it happen. Teresa says, Oh we are evaluating right now. We'll get back to you someday.

Sac State calls Gloria. Hey Glo, we practically threw ourselves at the Pac and got meh for a response. We need to know WTF before we tear down our stadium (right after the season as advertised). Gloria says well we want you and will sign you right now. And you know what? We'll throw in a couple of million out of the Pac's poaching penalty to help you with the $5M fee to move up! Laughs all around.

Do note that the Sacramento Kings offered up their arena to help Sac State gain entrance to the Pac "or other FBS conference".

As far as the Pac hlding out for the AAC, why? We need to get up to at least 12 at some point anyway. So get to 8 for next to nothing, then talk from a position of security rather than desperation. Sac State is more attractive than half the clods that Memphis, etc play in the AAC.

Well here's my prediction. Sac State calls Teresa, and says OK, we want in, and here are all the things we are doing to make it happen. Teresa says, Oh we are evaluating right now. We'll get back to you someday.

Sac State calls Gloria. Hey Glo, we practically threw ourselves at the Pac and got meh for a response. We need to know WTF before we tear down our stadium (right after the season as advertised). Gloria says well we want you and will sign you right now. And you know what? We'll throw in a couple of million out of the Pac's poaching penalty to help you with the $5M fee to move up! Laughs all around.

Do note that the Sacramento Kings offered up their arena to help Sac State gain entrance to the Pac "or other FBS conference".

As far as the Pac hlding out for the AAC, why? We need to get up to at least 12 at some point anyway. So get to 8 for next to nothing, then talk from a position of security rather than desperation. Sac State is more attractive than half the clods that Memphis, etc play in the AAC.

Memphis, UNLV, UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, Texas St, Cal, SMU, etc, are WAY better then Sac St.

PAC getting Gonzaga, and concrete, better media deal numbers(due to Gonzaga, Memphis, etc), and about a 23 to 25 to 27 mil offer, invite, instead of 2.5 mil, will get Memphis, etc.

All the PAC has to do is goto media, say "How much will the PAC media deal be if we get INSERT NAME(Memphis).

Then since that will probably be about 17 mil per team, per year because of Gonzaga, Memphis, rest of PAC. Then PAC says to Memphis, we'll pay about 20 to 23 to 27 mil to you, and in bball get 50% of NCAA tourny units due to NCAA tourny appearance. Other 50% shared equally. Media Deal about 17 mil per team, per year. CFP money will be 5,6,7 mil per year starting 2028. 5 year GOR, ESPN, FOX, CW, Apple, Prime Video, TNT, CBS, Peacock, NBC, all want a piece of PAC bball, football. All you have to do is sign the dotted line, join PAC. Memphis, etc, signs dotted line, joins PAC.

That's much better then Sac St.

PAC can do that in about 3,4,5 months. Then PAC spends about 3 to 6 to 9 months after that 3,4,5 months negotiating a minimum of 17 mil per team per year media deal package, consisting of ESPN, FOX, CW, TNT, CBS, NBC, Peacock, Apple, Amazon Prime Video, etc, all having a piece of PAC bball, football.

That better then Sac St.

Memphis, UNLV, UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, Texas St, Cal, SMU, etc, are WAY better then Sac St.

PAC getting Gonzaga, and concrete, better media deal numbers(due to Gonzaga, Memphis, etc), and about a 23 to 25 to 27 mil offer, invite, instead of 2.5 mil, will get Memphis, etc.

All the PAC has to do is goto media, say "How much will the PAC media deal be if we get INSERT NAME(Memphis).

Then since that will probably be about 17 mil per team, per year because of Gonzaga, Memphis, rest of PAC. Then PAC says to Memphis, we'll pay about 20 to 23 to 27 mil to you, and in bball get 50% of NCAA tourny units due to NCAA tourny appearance. Other 50% shared equally. Media Deal about 17 mil per team, per year. CFP money will be 5,6,7 mil per year starting 2028. 5 year GOR, ESPN, FOX, CW, Apple, Prime Video, TNT, CBS, Peacock, NBC, all want a piece of PAC bball, football. All you have to do is sign the dotted line, join PAC. Memphis, etc, signs dotted line, joins PAC.

That's much better then Sac St.

PAC can do that in about 3,4,5 months. Then PAC spends about 3 to 6 to 9 months after that 3,4,5 months negotiating a minimum of 17 mil per team per year media deal package, consisting of ESPN, FOX, CW, TNT, CBS, NBC, Peacock, Apple, Amazon Prime Video, etc, all having a piece of PAC bball, football.

That better then Sac St.
Ok, so we offer Memphis $27M. It was reported that UNLV was offered $6M.
Next we get this $17M media deal.
Every network wants Pac BB and FB. Chomping at the bit. F-the Big East, the P4 conferences or any of the G5. Everybody wants the Pac.
And who is "etc" when you say Memphis, etc?

Well then should we all just leave the board? And I beg to differ. I know all and see all. So there.

It's fine to talk about it. It's just funny that we continue to make definitive statements and judgements based on no knowledge and then tell other posters they are obviously stupid because their ideas make no sense. For the record, there is one particular poster that I have on ignore that is prone to idiotic posts....but that's only barely related to this discussion. ;)

Per CBS (link below).

So, thoughts on this? We are quoted as wanting to evaluate our media rights before moving further. Well I have some thoughts - like we haven't done this yet? Before offering the Traitorous 5, and before letting Gonzaga pollute our conference?

Which brings me back to Sacramento State. They have announced that they will tear down their FB stadium and build a new 25K stadium (I would advise them to make it 30K, or at least allow for future expansion to 30K). They have raised $35M in NIL money from the community. The Sacramento Kings have offered up their NBA stadium for Sac State's use. And it is all publicly stated as things that could garner a Pac offer.

So is the Pac even talking to them? And seriously, aren't they as or more attractive than USU? ESPN bottom 10 dweller BTW), especially with all these commitments? Watch out for the MW to come after them if we dawdle. Hell they are talking to FCS Tarleton State, whoever and wherever the hell they are. I think we should snag them. Their population footprint is bigger than anyone except maybe SDSU.

Poo-poo them all you want. They are swinging for the fences, with the backing to prove it. Right smack in the middle of our footprint.

It's fine to talk about it. It's just funny that we continue to make definitive statements and judgements based on no knowledge and then tell other posters they are obviously stupid because their ideas make no sense. For the record, there is one particular poster that I have on ignore that is prone to idiotic posts....but that's only barely related to this discussion. ;)
I should use that ignore feature but just can't - moth to flame and all.

One more comment on Sac State - it is almost odd that they are being so public about all these major steps they are taking to get into the Pac while there are no reports on any actual conversations, as there have been with other schools. Guess we'll wait and see.

One more comment on Sac State - it is almost odd that they are being so public about all these major steps they are taking to get into the Pac while there are no reports on any actual conversations, as there have been with other schools. Guess we'll wait and see.
Do you not understand posturing? They lose nothing by indicating their interest, and maybe even get a few more dollars out of their own boosters.

Think of yourself showing up at a fashion show with a name tag that says "Hello my name is Loyal Coug1, and you ladies are in luck, I'M SINGLE!"

Do you not understand posturing? They lose nothing by indicating their interest, and maybe even get a few more dollars out of their own boosters.

Think of yourself showing up at a fashion show with a name tag that says "Hello my name is Loyal Coug1, and you ladies are in luck, I'M SINGLE!"
Building a new stadium is "losing nothing"? Ok, let's go with that. Raising $35M in NIL in one day is posturing? Sacramento Kings publicly offering up their arena is posturing? I would say it's a little more than posturing.

I'll stick to my prediction that the MW is going to snap them up and we will look stupid and regret it. And I hope that I am dead wrong and have to come on here and eat crow. But I'm done harping on it. No need to play the same record on and on and on and on like some do.

Building a new stadium is "losing nothing"? Ok, let's go with that. Raising $35M in NIL in one day is posturing? Sacramento Kings publicly offering up their arena is posturing? I would say it's a little more than posturing.

I'll stick to my prediction that the MW is going to snap them up and we will look stupid and regret it. And I hope that I am dead wrong and have to come on here and eat crow. But I'm done harping on it. No need to play the same record on and on and on and on like some do.

This is for the old guy that doesn't understand the internet. I was responding to the following:

"One more comment on Sac State - it is almost odd that they are being so public about all these major steps they are taking to get into the Pac while there are no reports on any actual conversations, as there have been with other schools. Guess we'll wait and see."

This is for the old guy that doesn't understand the internet. I was responding to the following:

"One more comment on Sac State - it is almost odd that they are being so public about all these major steps they are taking to get into the Pac while there are no reports on any actual conversations, as there have been with other schools. Guess we'll wait and see."
F-you and your insults asshole. And I'm not that old. Sac State has announced the building of a brand-new stadium. But according to you that is just "posturing", and that they "lose nothing". What the F-ever. Why don't you just put me on ignore.

F-you and your insults asshole. And I'm not that old. Sac State has announced the building of a brand-new stadium. But according to you that is just "posturing", and that they "lose nothing". What the F-ever. Why don't you just put me on ignore.
Not trying to take any sides in this spat, but just pointing out that it was a long time ago that WSU announced the replacement of the A.S.S. with the new, permanent Indoor Practice Facility and it was just recently finished. At least I think it is now complete.

Do you think single people showing up to a singles bar is weird?

Not trying to take any sides in this spat, but just pointing out that it was a long time ago that WSU announced the replacement of the A.S.S. with the new, permanent Indoor Practice Facility and it was just recently finished. At least I think it is now complete.
Indeed. University construction doesn't happen fast. You have to have planning, fundraising, appropriation, pre-design, design, and construction. Somewhere in there you have to find room for a site dedication, a ribbon cutting, and a groundbreaking...all before construction even starts. Then there's your laying of the cornerstone, your topping out ceremony, your soft opening, your grand opening, and your official opening.

Those things take years to put together...and in between, you have to actually build the building. It's exhausting.

The other reason why PAC won't take Sac St, unless last resort, Is that Sac St, as a FCS, has the 1,2 year thing, where if they join FBS, they have to wait 1, 2 more years, before they not FCS, get advantages of FBS, etc.

If PAC takes Sac St, they would have to wait 3, 4 years before Sac St would count as a 8th FBS football program that PAC would need to qualify as a NCAA FBS CFP conference(2 years to join PAC in 2026 + 1,2 years wait time, after that to become a FBS football program), and because of that the PAC would have to take a non FCS football program in addition to taking Sac St, to qualify as a NCAA FBS CFP football conference.

That's why even NDSU would be a ultimate last resort, just like Sac St.

Instead of taking Sac St, or NDSU, AND another G5 to goto PAC 9 to qualify as a conference, PAC should instead just use, leverage, etc, Gonzaga to make a 18 mil to 20 mil to 22 mil to 24 mil to 26 mil offer, invite to 1 of either Memphis, UNLV, Tulane, UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, North Texas, Texas St, Toledo, in that order of importance, etc, to get 1 of those, as the 8th football program in PAC, instead of Sac St, NDSU, etc, as that list is better then Sac St, NDSU.

• Love
Reactions: LVRebel2000

And that's ok if MW snaps up Sac St, because PAC will snap up 1 of either Memphis, UNLV, Tulane, UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, because of Gonzaga, and a better offer invite of about 18 mil to 20 mil to 22 mil to 24 mil to 26 mil, instead of the LOWBALL 2.5 mil offer made to Memphis, Tulane, UTSA, USF.

I would say in light of how tight-lipped all these other new addition schools have been...the fact that there were no leaks, even right up thru Gonzaga, that that would indicate Sac St has ZERO shot with the new PAC12 in this new round of expansion. That's all I have to say about that.

Indeed. University construction doesn't happen fast. You have to have planning, fundraising, appropriation, pre-design, design, and construction. Somewhere in there you have to find room for a site dedication, a ribbon cutting, and a groundbreaking...all before construction even starts. Then there's your laying of the cornerstone, your topping out ceremony, your soft opening, your grand opening, and your official opening.

Those things take years to put together...and in between, you have to actually build the building. It's exhausting.
You forgot to include tree hugger lawsuits, environmental impact statements, public reviews, and doing mitigation activities in other areas. Especially in the land of fruits and nuts.

That would be a reference to California, in case anyone was confused.

The other reason why PAC won't take Sac St, unless last resort, Is that Sac St, as a FCS, has the 1,2 year thing, where if they join FBS, they have to wait 1, 2 more years, before they not FCS, get advantages of FBS, etc.

If PAC takes Sac St, they would have to wait 3, 4 years before Sac St would count as a 8th FBS football program that PAC would need to qualify as a NCAA FBS CFP conference(2 years to join PAC in 2026 + 1,2 years wait time, after that to become a FBS football program), and because of that the PAC would have to take a non FCS football program in addition to taking Sac St, to qualify as a NCAA FBS CFP football conference.

That's why even NDSU would be a ultimate last resort, just like Sac St.

Instead of taking Sac St, or NDSU, AND another G5 to goto PAC 9 to qualify as a conference, PAC should instead just use, leverage, etc, Gonzaga to make a 18 mil to 20 mil to 22 mil to 24 mil to 26 mil offer, invite to 1 of either Memphis, UNLV, Tulane, UTSA, Rice, Tulsa, North Texas, Texas St, Toledo, in that order of importance, etc, to get 1 of those, as the 8th football program in PAC, instead of Sac St, NDSU, etc, as that list is better then Sac St, NDSU.
Oh, Mik. As usual you are wrong. "the 1,2 year thing" is ineligibility to participate in post-season play. It has nothing to do with being counted as an FBS league member.

I'm not even going to comment on your ridiculous notion (oh I guess "ridiculous" is a comment) that the Pac will offer up to $26M for your laundry list of schools.

Interesting to everyone else here maybe, the semi-recent FBS rules seem to indicate that FBS schools have to sponsor at least 16 varsity sports. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not) but WSU only has 15. Am I not reading this correctly? See link and excerpt below. WTF? And the 50% requirement for home games. Kind of mandates games against FCS schools. What a BS rule. So what does that mean for 2025? Makes scheduling a bit tougher, and what if we don't get 6? Crazy shit.

"We already know about the postseason ineligibility portion of the FBS transition rules but there are additional requirements for any programs reclassifying to the FBS (starting on page 392). Specific to FBS programs, a school must sponsor a minimum of 16 varsity sports with at least 6 of those being male or co-ed teams and 8 being female teams. There is also the minimum that 60% of the games scheduled must be against FBS opponents and 50% of all scheduled games must be at home.

On top of that, each school must offer a minimum of 200 scholarships that total at least $4 million each year. The latter requirements are increasing to 210 scholarships and $6 million annually starting in 2027-28."

You forgot to include tree hugger lawsuits, environmental impact statements, public reviews, and doing mitigation activities in other areas. Especially in the land of fruits and nuts.

That would be a reference to California, in case anyone was confused.
Oh come on guys. Look, I'm not going to die on the sword over Sac St., but geezus.

95, the plan is to be open for the 2028 season. That's almost 4 years. Plenty of time. Tell me, how many years did it take from conception to completion of the Martin Stadium MAJOR makeover and the FOB construction? And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't all that (the actual construction) happen between the end of FB season and the next years' kickoff? And your list of time-consuming factors, is, well, no offense but kind of silly. "your laying of the cornerstone, your topping out ceremony, your soft opening, your grand opening, and your official opening." I mean really? Soft, grand and official openings for a FB stadium? Um, those all take place on one day. The day of the first game.

Stretch, Since the new stadium will sit directly on the site of the existing stadium, I doubt that there will be an army of tree huggers out there opposing it, or any of the other stuff you mention. And comparing this to the IPF? That's not even apples to oranges. That's watermelons to grapes. That never-ending fund-raising joke was pathetic. BTW, I still want to know where my promised brick is for my $100 donation eons ago. Indian-givers.

Oh come on guys. Look, I'm not going to die on the sword over Sac St., but geezus.

95, the plan is to be open for the 2028 season. That's almost 4 years. Plenty of time. Tell me, how many years did it take from conception to completion of the Martin Stadium MAJOR makeover and the FOB construction? And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't all that (the actual construction) happen between the end of FB season and the next years' kickoff? And your list of time-consuming factors, is, well, no offense but kind of silly. "your laying of the cornerstone, your topping out ceremony, your soft opening, your grand opening, and your official opening." I mean really? Soft, grand and official openings for a FB stadium? Um, those all take place on one day. The day of the first game.

Stretch, Since the new stadium will sit directly on the site of the existing stadium, I doubt that there will be an army of tree huggers out there opposing it, or any of the other stuff you mention. And comparing this to the IPF? That's not even apples to oranges. That's watermelons to grapes. That never-ending fund-raising joke was pathetic. BTW, I still want to know where my promised brick is for my $100 donation eons ago. Indian-givers.
They’re going to need more donation money. I got a solicitation today to buy one of the remaining alumni center tiles. They used to be $100, as I recall. Now they’re a grand.

I’ll stick with my name on the wall.

They’re going to need more donation money. I got a solicitation today to buy one of the remaining alumni center tiles. They used to be $100, as I recall. Now they’re a grand.

I’ll stick with my name on the wall.
Wow. Funny I didn't get one (solicitation). Unless it was one of the recent WSU e-mails I deleted unread because of the current burr up my butt. They hurt, BTW. Or maybe because I already have two tiles, and yes I think they were $100 each.

OMG, would you people stop with this Sac St crap. I have many friends and relatives that live in the Sacramento area, some went to Cal, some UC Davis, Santa Clara. And then 2 that went to Sac St, and they are reluctant to even admit they went there. Supporting Sac St is almost like supporting Bellevue College because they said we are going to build a 35000 seat stadium, and some rich Bellevue have pledged 40 mil in NIL money

OMG, would you people stop with this Sac St crap. I have many friends and relatives that live in the Sacramento area, some went to Cal, some UC Davis, Santa Clara. And then 2 that went to Sac St, and they are reluctant to even admit they went there. Supporting Sac St is almost like supporting Bellevue College because they said we are going to build a 35000 seat stadium, and some rich Bellevue have pledged 40 mil in NIL money
The problem is there is no one left regionally and the national guys aren’t intersted (yet) and they only make sense if you add at least 3 but even that could be problematic for non revenue sports if one of them is USF.

Sac St is Boise State 35 years ago.

The problem is there is no one left regionally and the national guys aren’t intersted (yet) and they only make sense if you add at least 3 but even that could be problematic for non revenue sports if one of them is USF.

Agree.

Let’s keep Sac ST on the future expansion radar so that when they carve out a following 35 years from now, PAC-12 can extend an invite.

• Haha
Reactions: Coug90
This is basically Liberty. They were founded in ‘71 and on their way to being a modern day BYU with their evangelical Christian following. It’s not my thing, but if you would support BYU as a conference addition, why wouldn’t you support Liberty. They are on their way to being the same type of program IMO.

Agree. Sac State historically has been a bad FCS football team with bad facilities. Taylor turned that program around for a few years then left. The new HC coaching experience has primarily been with NAU and he moved up to DC before being hired at Sac State a couple years ago. He is pretty green. Good for them that they are getting people to invest in their athletics as its never happened before. If they want to move up, they should go to the Sun Belt or MW and work on their resume.

False, UTSA, UNLV, Rice, Tulsa, Texas St, are in the western footprint region of PAC, and PAC can leverage getting Gonzaga, by offering 21 mil to 23 mil to 25 mil to UTSA, UNLV, Rice, Tulsa, Texas St, to get 1 of UTSA, UNLV, Rice, Tulsa, Texas St, which better than Sac St.

So the narrative that there no other options in region that better then Sac St, is a False Narrative.

False, UTSA, UNLV, Rice, Tulsa, Texas St, are in the western footprint region of PAC, and PAC can leverage getting Gonzaga, by offering 21 mil to 23 mil to 25 mil to UTSA, UNLV, Rice, Tulsa, Texas St, to get 1 of UTSA, UNLV, Rice, Tulsa, Texas St, which better than Sac St.

So the narrative that there no other options in region that better then Sac St, is a False Narrative.
Wait where did Memphis and Tulane go?

I checked the map, and San Antonio is 949 miles from Fort Collins, and 1900+ from Pullman. I guess my definition of a "region" is different than yours.

And I see now we should pay up to $25M for Sun Belt denizen Texas State? I'm all for that!

• Love
how far away is Asheville, North Carolina, “loyal?”
I didn't look it up but I think it is where this picture (link below) of a FEMA employee and her search dog was taken. And can you just stick to polluting your BS thread and leave the rest alone?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT