ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Chryst fired

How_did_this_happen?

Hall Of Fame
Gold Member
Nov 3, 2012
Amazing how they used to wait until the season played out before taking this kind of action.

Not a good trend.

I'm totally available to be fired and cash in a $16 Million buyout.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.

Reactions: Coug90
Another "benefit" of social media. Wins are seldom good enough, and all losses are the end of the world. Sadly ADs can't escape it, and pressured to act. That pressure also in turn leads to bad hires, because of social media's demand for the "Scott Frost" type hires -- popular demand ... but frequently poorly vetted.

Another "benefit" of social media. Wins are seldom good enough, and all losses are the end of the world. Sadly ADs can't escape it, and pressured to act. That pressure also in turn leads to bad hires, because of social media's demand for the "Scott Frost" type hires -- popular demand ... but frequently poorly vetted.

People still keep saying that Frost was a bad hire. The dude went 13-0 in his second year at UCF after they had gone 0-12 in the season before he was there. It obviously didn't work out, but I don't remember seeing a bunch of folks calling it a bad hire.

That hire wasn't like the Wulff hire he went 3-8 in his 7th season at EWU and he had 5 or more losses in five of his eight seasons and never had less than 4 losses. The biggest mystery for Frost is how he failed to learn from his mistakes that led to close losses. At WSU, we lose a lot of close games because our teams are generally not as talented as our opposition and we wear down late. That shouldn't be a factor at Nebraska......but it was.

Anyway, long story short, I don't view Frost as a hire that was obviously bad but driven by social media.

I'm totally available to be fired and cash in a $16 Million buyout.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit.
Exactly, horrible for who? These guys are walking away with pretty substantial golden parachutes. I guess it sucks for the players but is it much better when you have the dead man walking scenario where everyone knows they are gone after the season?

Have to think Mel Tucker isn't long for Michigan State either.

Lots of money = must win NOW. No patience. Reminds of the game theory element of residential real estate, where sellers' expectations of what their house is worth is independent of what's going on around them; they lock in the highest price they ever saw it at on Zillow, and that becomes the only possibility they will entertain (at least initially). In the same way, fans of a middle- (Nebraska) to upper-middle (Wisconsin) tier B10 school have HUGE expectations of where a $Xmm/yr coach should be in Years 1 & 2, because that's a lot of money for THEM, and because they only remember the program's greatest run ever. They completely fail to grasp that their budget and program prestige are behind about two dozen other programs.

I know they love him, but Jonathon Smith's seat might be getting warm too. Their inability to recruit a decent qb is glaring at this point.

I know they love him, but Jonathon Smith's seat might be getting warm too. Their inability to recruit a decent qb is glaring at this point.

Yeah...you'd think an ex-QB could recruit that position well.

I feel better about playing them than earlier this season, but playing at their place will be challenging.

I had lunch with a big time Beaver booster last week. He's a huge fan of Smith. Makes me think OSU is not interested in replacing Smith anytime soon.

Glad Cougar

I had lunch with a big time Beaver booster last week. He's a huge fan of Smith. Makes me think OSU is not interested in replacing Smith anytime soon.

Glad Cougar

Oregon State is not going to fire Jonathan Smith unless they have back to back losing seasons. They appear to be on track to at least a 7-5 record this year if they can beat Stanford, Colorado, Cal and ASU. With our game in Corvallis this year, they could end up being a favorite against us. Considering that the Beavers have only won about 35% of their games in the past 50 years, they aren't firing a coach that's getting them to bowl games.

ADVERTISEMENT