ADVERTISEMENT

Pelluer/DeRider - MLB depth

SaveFerris

Hall Of Fame
Dec 21, 2001
I wasn't able to pick up who was at MLB other than DeRider. Wondering who backs up DeRider if Pelluer is injured? Would Dotson move over or with the depth on the outside maybe Luvu move back?

Damnit....that's going to be a tough loss if true. Need some Russell Wilson magic water for that kid!

so, medical redshirt?

I don't see the LB corps bursting with depth; we could use him next year.

I don't think he qualifies because he's already used his redshirt year. The rule on "medical redshirts" states that a player can apply their redshirt to a season if they were injured prior to playing in 30% of their games. That would apply here.

However, Pelleur would also have to be granted a 6th year of eligibility and the rules on that are different. "This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his or her sport within the five-year period."

So, he would have had to have missed more than 1 year due to injury to be granted a 6th year of eligibility.

I don't think he qualifies because he's already used his redshirt year. The rule on "medical redshirts" states that a player can apply their redshirt to a season if they were injured prior to playing in 30% of their games. That would apply here.

However, Pelleur would also have to be granted a 6th year of eligibility and the rules on that are different. "This waiver may be granted, based upon objective evidence, for reasons that are beyond the control of the student-athlete or the institution, which deprive the student-athlete of the opportunity to participate for more than one season in his or her sport within the five-year period."

So, he would have had to have missed more than 1 year due to injury to be granted a 6th year of eligibility.
well, the press certainly doesn't think so. no mention of it anywhere.

well, the press certainly doesn't think so. no mention of it anywhere.

The press doesn't think what? That he could apply for a medical hardship? You'd think if that were an option Loh, or someone would have brought it up.

Brand X went as far as to report his career was over in their headline. Like them or hate them, they're usually pretty accurate when it comes to the rule book.

The press doesn't think what? That he could apply for a medical hardship? You'd think if that were an option Loh, or someone would have brought it up.

Brand X went as far as to report his career was over in their headline. Like them or hate them, they're usually pretty accurate when it comes to the rule book.
The Odds of him getting that medical redshirt are probably less than 10%

Agree with Fab that the chances are infinitesimal. And even if he had another year of eligibility, would he take it? Peyton has done well academically and may be ready to pursue post-academic life.

Peyton Pelluer could be in the NFL next season if the NCAA chooses not to grant the 6th year.

His resume is pretty darn good: 34 career starts + Honorable-Mention All-Pac-12 in 2016 + whatever awards he would've collected in 2017.

Just needs to get back healthy again.

Best of luck to a terrific Coug.

He could get a medical. I've seen players in basically the same scenario get it. He may not want another year though, who knows. I agree would love to have him back.

Peyton Pelluer could be in the NFL next season if the NCAA chooses not to grant the 6th year.

His resume is pretty darn good: 34 career starts + Honorable-Mention All-Pac-12 in 2016 + whatever awards he would've collected in 2017.

Just needs to get back healthy again.

Best of luck to a terrific Coug.
I'm not sure he's got the wheels. He might stick somewhere as a middle linebacker, he can tackle and he's gotten significantly better at diagnosing plays with all that experience, but will he be able to cover enough ground to not be a liability at that level? I actually suspect that Isaac Dotson might have a better shot at sticking on a roster if he can stay healthy, but after his injury history nobody would draft him above round 5 even if he ended up all conference and wowed at the combine. He'd be a solid kick cover guy and he has enough size and speed to play at that level, and he's been exposed to so many different positions that he's got a pretty good football IQ.

Last edited:
He could get a medical. I've seen players in basically the same scenario get it. He may not want another year though, who knows. I agree would love to have him back.

You've seen guys who missed 3/4 of one season get granted a 6th year of eligibility by the NCAA? Like who?

Yesterday, Peyton tweeted the following yesterday:

"Thank you brother. Blessed to play my last snaps with you !! Love ya uce !!"

Why is this thread even a thing? Barring a major surprise, he isn't going to be back.

Yesterday, Peyton tweeted the following yesterday:

"Thank you brother. Blessed to play my last snaps with you !! Love ya uce !!"

Why is this thread even a thing? Barring a major surprise, he isn't going to be back.
yeah, but he could get a 6th year waiver. Or a medical redshirt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT