ADVERTISEMENT

Perhaps lost in the gnashing of teeth

Mason Miller is a hell of a OL coach. He has really done a great job of teaching pass pro. Also kudos to Max for being awesome at identifying the blitzing linebacker. They were coming from all over the place.

Mason Miller is a hell of a OL coach. He has really done a great job of teaching pass pro. Also kudos to Max for being awesome at identifying the blitzing linebacker. They were coming from all over the place.
The two co-coordinator put the train back on the track after a complete derailment.

Borghi did a great job there. I should have included him in the OP.

The OL and Borghi gave up zero sacks.

Old news as of the Utah game. Travion Brown and Cosmas Kwete are definitely not redshirting. Trey Davis played in his first game against ASU.

I'm not all that happy with the offensive line overall. They are doing a great job in pass protection....but the run blocking leaves a lot to be desired. If you want to know why we aren't running it more.....it's because our OL is sucking in that regard. Following is a list of Borghi's runs in the game:
  1. Max Borghi run for no gain to the WshSt 34
  2. Max Borghi run for 7 yds to the 50 yard line for a 1ST down
  3. Max Borghi run for no gain to the WshSt 15
  4. Max Borghi run for a loss of 3 yards to the ArzSt 26
  5. Max Borghi run for a loss of 1 yard to the ArzSt 2
  6. Max Borghi run for 2 yds to the WshSt 38
  7. Max Borghi run for 2 yds to the ArzSt 7 for a 1ST down
  8. Max Borghi run for 22 yds to the ArzSt 41 for a 1ST down
  9. Max Borghi run for 2 yds for a TD
Outside of three plays (7 yds, 22 yds and 2 yds for a TD), Max netted 0 yards on the other six rushing plays. We are overly dependent on the pass, but when your star running back has a net of 3 yards on 5 carries for a stellar 0.6 yards per attempt midway through the 2nd quarter.....it's not hard to imagine why Leach (and Gordon) weren't checking to the run all that often. So, kudos on the pass blocking, but tsk, tsk, tsk on the run blocking.

I'm not all that happy with the offensive line overall. They are doing a great job in pass protection....but the run blocking leaves a lot to be desired. If you want to know why we aren't running it more.....it's because our OL is sucking in that regard. Following is a list of Borghi's runs in the game:
  1. Max Borghi run for no gain to the WshSt 34
  2. Max Borghi run for 7 yds to the 50 yard line for a 1ST down
  3. Max Borghi run for no gain to the WshSt 15
  4. Max Borghi run for a loss of 3 yards to the ArzSt 26
  5. Max Borghi run for a loss of 1 yard to the ArzSt 2
  6. Max Borghi run for 2 yds to the WshSt 38
  7. Max Borghi run for 2 yds to the ArzSt 7 for a 1ST down
  8. Max Borghi run for 22 yds to the ArzSt 41 for a 1ST down
  9. Max Borghi run for 2 yds for a TD
Outside of three plays (7 yds, 22 yds and 2 yds for a TD), Max netted 0 yards on the other six rushing plays. We are overly dependent on the pass, but when your star running back has a net of 3 yards on 5 carries for a stellar 0.6 yards per attempt midway through the 2nd quarter.....it's not hard to imagine why Leach (and Gordon) weren't checking to the run all that often. So, kudos on the pass blocking, but tsk, tsk, tsk on the run blocking.
Dont forget that some of those were facing a 2 man front, so there should have been at least a yard to two push (against air????) that they could gain. Granted, ASU lbs weren't always the traditional 7 yards off the ball, but still - 2 DL, LBs 3 or 4 yards off the ball and they couldn't gain an inch.

Dont forget that some of those were facing a 2 man front, so there should have been at least a yard to two push (against air????) that they could gain. Granted, ASU lbs weren't always the traditional 7 yards off the ball, but still - 2 DL, LBs 3 or 4 yards off the ball and they couldn't gain an inch.

They were baiting Gordon into checking to the inside zone, then the LBs would close and stuff it. No one has taken that approach against WSU (at least that I recall). Seems like the shovel pass, draw or middle screen would have been the counter move to that.

more than one way to get Borghi the ball, short passes , screens, pitch outs, shovel plays. I don't think you change the offense-but you've got to get him more touches.

Reactions: random soul
They were baiting Gordon into checking to the inside zone, then the LBs would close and stuff it. No one has taken that approach against WSU (at least that I recall). Seems like the shovel pass, draw or middle screen would have been the counter move to that.
I was calling for the shovel pass all game, but eh...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT