ADVERTISEMENT

Portal

Curious to know what the excuse is for this one.
Fortunately we never put Ayden on scholarship. We can use the scholarshipUnfortunately Tyrese Ross already transferred out and we have a serious lack of depth at safety for the spring. We had better hope Jaden Hicks can come in and start week 1 or we land someone in the portal.

Reactions: 32eekortS
honestly, the portal is going to sour me on college football. this isn't how its supposed to be, and all you "they're slaves to the system/ don't get paid/ coaches leave all the time" honks can cram it. I'd rather pay kids than watch them pack their shit every time they get wind sprints because they were late for practice.

"pursue other opportunities"... gfy, kid. Hope you rot on the bench at a D3 school.

(I'm in a mood and may or may not edit these sentiments at a later time, especially the latter part. but I hold fast on the former part)

His name was mud coming out of high school. He had offers pulled left and right. WSU takes him and his baggage. He plays some ball and rolls.

I'd be hard pressed to walk into his high school again and recruit that team.

Fortunately we never put Ayden on scholarship. We can use the scholarshipUnfortunately Tyrese Ross already transferred out and we have a serious lack of depth at safety for the spring. We had better hope Jaden Hicks can come in and start week 1 or we land someone in the portal.

Might be a situation that he had no choice but to leave. Like a decision was made for him and it has nothing to do with football.

honestly, the portal is going to sour me on college football. this isn't how its supposed to be, and all you "they're slaves to the system/ don't get paid/ coaches leave all the time" honks can cram it. I'd rather pay kids than watch them pack their shit every time they get wind sprints because they were late for practice.

"pursue other opportunities"... gfy, kid. Hope you rot on the bench at a D3 school.

(I'm in a mood and may or may not edit these sentiments at a later time, especially the latter part. but I hold fast on the former part)
You are spot on. I don’t think the portal would have been an issue 20, 30 years ago when a commitment meant something but these entitled Twitter-hyped kids and their helicoptering parents have created a perfect storm of douchebaggery. It’s getting old real fast. Then again coaches make too damn much money too so I guess this gives them more opportunity to earn it since they are dealing with managing free agency.

Reactions: 79COUG and SDCoug
You are spot on. I don’t think the portal would have been an issue 20, 30 years ago when a commitment meant something but these entitled Twitter-hyped kids and their helicoptering parents have created a perfect storm of douchebaggery. It’s getting old real fast. Then again coaches make too damn much money too so I guess this gives them more opportunity to earn it since they are dealing with managing free agency.

"Kids these days" has been something that old people have been saying for 10,000 years. :p

Word from my daughter is that he expected to get a scholly and it never came. Got pissed and is leaving.

Reactions: mikalalas
There are two scenarios here, and both of which point to WSU being better off without him.

1) WSU took a chance on him when everyone else bailed. He used that chance, picked himself up, and is now walking away, looking for greener pastures.

2) After reviewing his personal and criminal conduct records, Rolo and WSU have determined that he needs to go.

Its a brave new world. It places added emphasis on recruiting and player evaluation. Traditionally, half of WSU recruits wash out at some point, anyway. We can show them to the door much earlier, and throw the dice again sooner. Then there are the stars, we haven't lost one yet, but it will happen. Imagine losing a Leaf or Gesser, that would be tough, no Rose Bowls without them. It has to favor "players coaches" over the "my way or the highway," coaches. I think Leach's stock is going to take a hit. Sadly, Rolo doesn't appear to the the second coming of Mike Price either. But great teams can now be built and lost over a single season.

He went to the portal before he could get kicked off the team. He never should have been on the team in the first place. End of story.

ok boomer

He went to the portal before he could get kicked off the team. He never should have been on the team in the first place. End of story.

If Rolo wanted to kick him off the team he would have been dismissed from the roster instead of suspended from team activities. We also would have been aggressively searching the portal for a replacement to start at SS next year. Instead we are sniffing around for DT's near 30 with legal troubles.

Basically Hector was just being Hector. If you read about his troubles in HS, getting popped for a fake ID while trying to buy beer is nothing. My guess is Rolovich didn't offer a scholarship because of it and the kid left town. But now we are razor thin at safety because the coaches appear to have been caught flat footed by this. Maybe we can talk Ross in to coming back after he was pushed out for a juvenile delinquent.

"Kids these days" has been something that old people have been saying for 10,000 years. :p
I suppose to some extent. Kids 20-30 years ago weren’t instagramming and twittering hat dances either. There’s always been “look at me” but times have changed to where everyone can literally look at you in an instant.

If Rolo wanted to kick him off the team he would have been dismissed from the roster instead of suspended from team activities. We also would have been aggressively searching the portal for a replacement to start at SS next year. Instead we are sniffing around for DT's near 30 with legal troubles.

Basically Hector was just being Hector. If you read about his troubles in HS, getting popped for a fake ID while trying to buy beer is nothing. My guess is Rolovich didn't offer a scholarship because of it and the kid left town. But now we are razor thin at safety because the coaches appear to have been caught flat footed by this. Maybe we can talk Ross in to coming back after he was pushed out for a juvenile delinquent.

Please don't read my comment as an endorsement of Rolo. The way he has mishandled the roster time after time in his short tenure is beyond alarming.

Afternoon Delight was considered vulgar at the time. If you don’t think things have changed a bit, you are living under a rock.

Warrant released "Cherry Pie" in 1990.

Ginuwine dropped "My Pony" back in 1995.

NEXT dropped "Too Close" in 1997.

This isn't new. I am definitely not the one who has been living under a rock.

Reactions: 32eekortS
Harry Styles won awards for "Watermelon Sugar" this year and not a single person is complaining about his lyrics. I wonder what the difference could be?

His name was mud coming out of high school. He had offers pulled left and right. WSU takes him and his baggage. He plays some ball and rolls.

I'd be hard pressed to walk into his high school again and recruit that team.

Rolovich has JC in his blood. Lots of Jason Brown in that guy. I'm expecting the mercenary mindset to continue to grow on the team combined with a ton of roster turnover each year.

This isn't to say this approach can't be successful. If we are headed to a bowl game every year with a roster held together by spit and duct tape, I'm a happy camper.

Rolovich has JC in his blood. Lots of Jason Brown in that guy. I'm expecting the mercenary mindset to continue to grow on the team combined with a ton of roster turnover each year.

This isn't to say this approach can't be successful. If we are headed to a bowl game every year with a roster held together by spit and duct tape, I'm a happy camper.

With the portal it is like JC ball. One minute you know who your teammate is, the next minute they are gone. Not a great way to add stability to a program that in order to be successful needs stability.

Fortunately we never put Ayden on scholarship. We can use the scholarship. Unfortunately Tyrese Ross already transferred out and we have a serious lack of depth at safety for the spring. We had better hope Jaden Hicks can come in and start week 1 or we land someone in the portal.
He earned himself a scholie on the field. My guess is while he earned it on the field he didn't help himself off the field.

At some point in the last 50 years if WSU was gonna be a big destination for West Coast JC kids I think it would have happened by now. Not to say that every coach before Rolo was bad at it and he'll be good at it, Im not holding my breath.

Les Miles at KU was upset at the coaches preceding him over the JC kids they took. The combination of 2 year guys and attrition left him with a roster of 65-70 kids going into games against league opponents with a full capacity or closer to it than he was. At KU, that isn't gonna work.

I see the offer list. They've got tons of offers out to kids all over the country. Again, Im not holding my breath.

I've watched this for a lot of years. Imo, WSU needs to be a SoCal team. Literally take 20 kids from SoCal every class, another 5 from the NW and call it good. Don't ignore the JC talent but if you are fishing for JC kids all the time you are doing a poor job of evaluating, developing, recruiting the HS kids.

With the portal it is like JC ball. One minute you know who your teammate is, the next minute they are gone. Not a great way to add stability to a program that in order to be successful needs stability.

It'll be interesting to see if the NCAA ups the new scholarship limit from 25 per season. With a mass exodus to the portal nationwide each year (1100+ at last count) that's close to 10 for each D1 team.
It's going to be difficult to keep 85 scholarships on the roster when most teams are losing double digits to the portal each year. This doesn't begin to factor in kids who burn eligibility in 4 seasons or leave early to go pro.

It'll be interesting to see if the NCAA ups the new scholarship limit from 25 per season. With a mass exodus to the portal nationwide each year (1100+ at last count) that's close to 10 for each D1 team.
It's going to be difficult to keep 85 scholarships on the roster when most teams are losing double digits to the portal each year. This doesn't begin to factor in kids who burn eligibility in 4 seasons or leave early to go pro.
Nothing will change until Saban or Meyer whine about it.

I see a lot of posts about Rolovich sucking and I'm not sure why everyone is pissing down their legs already. Everyone knows that Paul Wulff wasn't cut out to be a Pac-12 coach and he got fired because he didn't do a good job. Despite the fact that Wulff sucked, Leach came into town and made our team worse in 2012 than it was in 2011 in just about every measurable way. We scored 113 fewer points, we gave up 23 more points. You can look at just about every stat and our team got worse in Leach's first year. Players were leaving, there was controversy and the team was a hot, fuggin' mess.

You'll argue that Wulff left him a worse team than Leach left Rolo.....but it doesn't change the fact that nobody looked at the way that the team regressed in 2012 and thought, "man, we are going to average 9+ wins per year pretty quick!".

I don't know if Rolovich is going to be any good at WSU, but it's way too soon for y'all to be pissing down your legs about the team. It would have been dumb to judge Leach based on the performance of his first three teams and it's just as dumb to be looking at the COVID FUBAR season and judge anything.

I see a lot of posts about Rolovich sucking and I'm not sure why everyone is pissing down their legs already. Everyone knows that Paul Wulff wasn't cut out to be a Pac-12 coach and he got fired because he didn't do a good job. Despite the fact that Wulff sucked, Leach came into town and made our team worse in 2012 than it was in 2011 in just about every measurable way. We scored 113 fewer points, we gave up 23 more points. You can look at just about every stat and our team got worse in Leach's first year. Players were leaving, there was controversy and the team was a hot, fuggin' mess.

You'll argue that Wulff left him a worse team than Leach left Rolo.....but it doesn't change the fact that nobody looked at the way that the team regressed in 2012 and thought, "man, we are going to average 9+ wins per year pretty quick!".

I don't know if Rolovich is going to be any good at WSU, but it's way too soon for y'all to be pissing down your legs about the team. It would have been dumb to judge Leach based on the performance of his first three teams and it's just as dumb to be looking at the COVID FUBAR season and judge anything.
Same couple of posters who never liked the hire... meh.

I do think its premature to write the book on Rolo, but JDL getting the nod is a pretty big blemish on CNR's judgement imho. If he couldn't tell that JDL didn't have it between the ears, that's worrisome.

Track record matters. Leach was nationally respected, had won 11 games at an under resourced P5 school, and snuck into a bowl game in year two. He also inherited a mess which made for a more patient fan base.

I thought the Rolovich hire made a lot of sense at the time. Unique offense, respected on the west coast, quirky and dynamic personality could turn him into a media darling with a winning season.

The initial results have been subpar. Yes, there are extenuating circumstances but it seems like he's been reactive. Our margin for error is really small and the adversity seems to be taking its toll on morale. There is definitely less talent on the roster than when Rolo inherited the team. If he stumbles out of the gate next year, Pullman will start to become a harder sell (not that it's close to easy now).

You need to create your own edge to recruit to Pullman. Coaches who aren't able to do so don't work out.

Same couple of posters who never liked the hire... meh.

I do think its premature to write the book on Rolo, but JDL getting the nod is a pretty big blemish on CNR's judgement imho. If he couldn't tell that JDL didn't have it between the ears, that's worrisome.

I was in the whelmed camp when CNR was hired, and I'm still in the camp. I'd love for him to be successful, but I haven't loved what I've seen with the program the past year. Definitely willing to give him a fair shake (and hope he crushes it and I'm wrong), but I'd be lying if I wasn't weary about the future.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Word from my daughter is that he expected to get a scholly and it never came. Got pissed and is leaving.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

He got into trouble with either the law, for illegally drinking, etc, an or violated team rules, an or got temporarily suspended(I forget which, been a while).

While Rolo, WSU might probably have been willing to reinstate him, as a future starter at Safety at some point, off, not on scholly, TILL HE EARNED IT, he was not going to get a scholly until much later, UNTIL, UNLESS he EARNED it LATER.

Of Course that didnt sit well with him. He wanted to be put on scholly immediatly, despite what happened.

So really not surprised he left. In fact I kind of expected it.

The sad thing, is if he had not screwed up in the 1st place, he would not have been suspended, he would immediatly have been put on scholly. He would have been the starting safety at WSU, etc.

Now he will be lucky if another P5 program will touch his problems.

I know that if I was a P5 program head, while I would love to have a player as talented as him, I woldnt want him the cancer that he is on my team, and would pass on him.

I expected this to happen, once he got into trouble.

Track record matters. Leach was nationally respected, had won 11 games at an under resourced P5 school, and snuck into a bowl game in year two. He also inherited a mess which made for a more patient fan base.

I thought the Rolovich hire made a lot of sense at the time. Unique offense, respected on the west coast, quirky and dynamic personality could turn him into a media darling with a winning season.

The initial results have been subpar. Yes, there are extenuating circumstances but it seems like he's been reactive. Our margin for error is really small and the adversity seems to be taking its toll on morale. There is definitely less talent on the roster than when Rolo inherited the team. If he stumbles out of the gate next year, Pullman will start to become a harder sell (not that it's close to easy now).

You need to create your own edge to recruit to Pullman. Coaches who aren't able to do so don't work out.

He's signed 2 classes and coached 4 games. He has nothing to show recruits on the field. That isn't helping. He has tons of kids leaving the program. You'll always have some guys coming and going for sure. You'll have kids roll when a new coach shows up. There comes a point when it's too many though. I feel like we are there now or close to it.

Imo, there are 3 things you have to do really, really well to win at WSU.
1) You have to coach well. You just don't have the high end talent to rely on kids making a few plays down the stretch to win. Your offense, defense and special teams have to be tip top. If they aren't, you'll lose games. WSU does not have the luxury of dropping a game or two due to poor coaching and then win enough for bowl eligibility. They just don't have the margin for error.

2) You have to evaluate kids 75% or better in recruiting. You just don't have the luxury of missing on too many kids. You've got to get your guys and then refer to #1.

3) Attrition. If you are going to win in the PAC 12 with 3 star kids against the 4 star kids, you need your guys to stay. You need kids to grow in the scheme, get reps on special teams, get reps in games, then become starters and have a few letters under their belt. You need to have savvy kids on the field. You need to have vets out there that can be leaders and execute schemes just a bit more complicated to confuse the other team. If the roster is a turnstile and kids are coming and going, you will always have too many young kids on the field to ever turn the corner. WSU is a development school. Your kids must stick around and develop. If they don't, hello 3-9.

He is off to a rocky start. The virus doesn't help anything. It's hard to get to know the kids. It's hard to coach them up. It's hard to keep morale up. And.. it's hard to recruit. How many games do the West Coast kids have this year? All the seniors just now are playing. They haven't had crap for games or practices. Same can be said for the juniors. How do you evaluate kids with such little game film and practice reps???? Even for BCS kids that have better DNA than everyone else, they still need to be coached and play ball.

The past year would be a challenge for schools in the best shape. WSU has to be damn near perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT