ADVERTISEMENT

Portal

Had the same thought. But I was going to go with “Big Balls” and “The Lemon Song”. And yes, things have changed. Not for the better.
I’m goin w/Chuck Berry’s, My Ding-a-Ling. Stay out of Turtle Creek, it’s tough swimmin with both hands holding on to your Ding-a-Ling.

Reactions: Coug90 and SDCoug
He's signed 2 classes and coached 4 games. He has nothing to show recruits on the field. That isn't helping. He has tons of kids leaving the program. You'll always have some guys coming and going for sure. You'll have kids roll when a new coach shows up. There comes a point when it's too many though. I feel like we are there now or close to it.

Imo, there are 3 things you have to do really, really well to win at WSU.
1) You have to coach well. You just don't have the high end talent to rely on kids making a few plays down the stretch to win. Your offense, defense and special teams have to be tip top. If they aren't, you'll lose games. WSU does not have the luxury of dropping a game or two due to poor coaching and then win enough for bowl eligibility. They just don't have the margin for error.

2) You have to evaluate kids 75% or better in recruiting. You just don't have the luxury of missing on too many kids. You've got to get your guys and then refer to #1.

3) Attrition. If you are going to win in the PAC 12 with 3 star kids against the 4 star kids, you need your guys to stay. You need kids to grow in the scheme, get reps on special teams, get reps in games, then become starters and have a few letters under their belt. You need to have savvy kids on the field. You need to have vets out there that can be leaders and execute schemes just a bit more complicated to confuse the other team. If the roster is a turnstile and kids are coming and going, you will always have too many young kids on the field to ever turn the corner. WSU is a development school. Your kids must stick around and develop. If they don't, hello 3-9.

He is off to a rocky start. The virus doesn't help anything. It's hard to get to know the kids. It's hard to coach them up. It's hard to keep morale up. And.. it's hard to recruit. How many games do the West Coast kids have this year? All the seniors just now are playing. They haven't had crap for games or practices. Same can be said for the juniors. How do you evaluate kids with such little game film and practice reps???? Even for BCS kids that have better DNA than everyone else, they still need to be coached and play ball.

The past year would be a challenge for schools in the best shape. WSU has to be damn near perfect.

These are good points.

Challenge(s) for WSU are, in addition to all the structural challenges and the difficulty in finding someone who can do those things, is that anyone who can do those things (i) needs a good staff to support him in doing them, with those assistants getting poached, and (ii) himself will be poached eventually.

These are good points.

Challenge(s) for WSU are, in addition to all the structural challenges and the difficulty in finding someone who can do those things, is that anyone who can do those things (i) needs a good staff to support him in doing them, with those assistants getting poached, and (ii) himself will be poached eventually.

Thats True to a point.

If Leach had followed Price, instead of Doba, Wulf, and if Rolo were to be a AWESOME coach and woukd have followed Leach following Price, is there any doubt that WSU would have gradually, eventually gone 9.5 wins a season every year, season, and either a Holiday Bowl, Alamo Bowl, Rosebowl, Cotton Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, almost every season or every other season?

Thats what would have happened for 13 to 23 straight years, and WSU would have become the next semi blue blood ish football College.

So because of that WSU can become a DESTINATION Football college, instead of a Stepping Stone.

But it would take 2,3,4 legendary coaches staying 6 to 13 years, each, back to back to back, and having at least Leach level success at WSU for. 17 to 33 straight years.

It doable, but not easy.

The best chance was after Price, and WSU Admin, AKA Rawlins, etc, BLEW IT.

The next best chance is now, if Rolo ends up being almost as good as Leach, and if he Rolo were then followed up with a Leach Level replacement, followed by another Leach Level Replacement. Doable, but not easy, but still possible.

Lmao. Not giving Hector a schollie is a dumb move. I don’t care he got arrested recently, letting him walk is letting your team get much worse.

Had the same thought. But I was going to go with “Big Balls” and “The Lemon Song”. And yes, things have changed. Not for the better.
There's a short interview on-line with Ann & Nancy Wilson of Heart. They drove to Vancouver BC to see Zep when they were young teenagers. 3rd row seats. Plant, in his legendary incredibly tight jeans, sang The Lemon Song and they said they were so naive and young at the time that they got so embarrassed the left the show. Couldn't take Plant squeezing that lemon. They said that as they got a little older they were like "Hell yea, bring it!"

Reactions: SDCoug
Everyone knows that Paul Wulff wasn't cut out to be a Pac-12 coach and he got fired because he didn't do a good job.
Everybody except
John Blanchette
Jim Moore
Ian Furness
Jim Walden (who had to be fired by mail)
Bud Withers
Nuss and the gang at Brand Y
Paul Sorensen
The Gang at Brand X
The Year 5 "Leach ain't gonna get it done" Gang here
WA Superintendent of Public Instruction Chris Reykdal

Lmao. Not giving Hector a schollie is a dumb move. I don’t care he got arrested recently, letting him walk is letting your team get much worse.
He was either CJ Mizell with better handlers or was portal bound from Day One.

Same couple of posters who never liked the hire... meh.

I do think its premature to write the book on Rolo, but JDL getting the nod is a pretty big blemish on CNR's judgement imho. If he couldn't tell that JDL didn't have it between the ears, that's worrisome.

Are you suggesting that Cooper or Cruz should have been starting? Based on what? They practiced worse than JDL, they scrimmaged worse than JDL, and the were buried (if not completely ignored) on the depth chart by the previous coaching staff.

JDL wasn't ready to start last season, but starting him was absolutely the right thing to do. The book on Cruz has closed, and Cooper's candle is flickering in the wind. It's JDL or X moving forward.

Everybody except
John Blanchette
Jim Moore
Ian Furness
Jim Walden (who had to be fired by mail)
Bud Withers
Nuss and the gang at Brand Y
Paul Sorensen
The Gang at Brand X
The Year 5 "Leach ain't gonna get it done" Gang here
WA Superintendent of Public Instruction Chris Reykdal

No one in Pullman should listen to any of these idiots. These are the same people who think Tracy Ford is the answer to all our recruiting woes.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
No one in Pullman should listen to any of these idiots. These are the same people who think Tracy Ford is the answer to all our recruiting woes.

But Jim Walden really needs attention. You don't understand how smart and important Jim Walden is.

But Jim Walden really needs attention. You don't understand how smart and important Jim Walden is.
Smart? He has is opinions for sure. Cracks me yup, Floyd, Sterk and input from Moos who was on the panel selected Wulff. You had a guy who had proven he could win at WU, if nothing else to steady the ship in Mike Price. The three "smart" guys who had the power to hire the next coach made the wrong hire. Giving credit to Walden is plain stupid. But Walden is very important in our history for numerous reasons.

Smart? He has is opinions for sure. Cracks me yup, Floyd, Sterk and input from Moos who was on the panel selected Wulff. You had a guy who had proven he could win at WU, if nothing else to steady the ship in Mike Price. The three "smart" guys who had the power to hire the next coach made the wrong hire. Giving credit to Walden is plain stupid. But Walden is very important in our history for numerous reasons.

Ed understands how smart and important Jim Walden is.

HOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDIIIIIIIIINNNNGGGGGGGGG!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT