ADVERTISEMENT

Post game reaction

chugspig

Hall Of Fame
Nov 5, 2011
Really impressed with Ward (the DC) and our front 7. The DBs are put in position to make plays and made some nice ones, but also still appear to be iffy at the CB spot. Hope they clean that up. Great Blitz schemes, good tackling for the most part. Great great effort on that side of the ball. I think we’ll continue to get better on D. Henley is a monster.

Offensively I don’t quite get what we’re doing. We could have ate them up without the fumbles, on the ground. Continuous bubble screen plays that have a 160lb WR block a LB or walk up safety? Wards off page with his WRs. Cannot step up in a pocket. Reads progression slow. Bails out and takes sacks. There is so much talent on this offense it’s pitiful what they did tonight. Morris has his work cut out for him. Still optimistic they can put it together at be a 500 yrd a game offense but that was a good ass clenched, good for film game.

Janikowski can take a seat if he misses another fg from 25 in. Woof.

Watson had 117 yards. I think if Jenkins hadn't fumbled on his first carry, he would have seen much more action.

I've not been a big fan of Watson, but he had a good game (except for the fumble).

Like I stated before, it seems like Idaho has better backs than we do. How does that happen?

Ward has a really nice arm. He delivered some excellent throws...but his overall performance was underwhelming.

I was expecting 40 points today, so that was disappointing we only had 24.

Our D only allowed 10 points, which was great. Disappointed that Idaho got some big key plays...but they executed some great passes that were pretty much unstoppable.

Disappointing game, but we won and that is all that matters for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: VandalBasher
Felt like they sandbagged the playbook. Almost no plays to victor and he's a solid playmaker. Nothing to tight ends. Hardly anything vertically. Better open up the works vs the badgers.

Really impressed with Ward (the DC) and our front 7. The DBs are put in position to make plays and made some nice ones, but also still appear to be iffy at the CB spot. Hope they clean that up. Great Blitz schemes, good tackling for the most part. Great great effort on that side of the ball. I think we’ll continue to get better on D. Henley is a monster.

Offensively I don’t quite get what we’re doing. We could have ate them up without the fumbles, on the ground. Continuous bubble screen plays that have a 160lb WR block a LB or walk up safety? Wards off page with his WRs. Cannot step up in a pocket. Reads progression slow. Bails out and takes sacks. There is so much talent on this offense it’s pitiful what they did tonight. Morris has his work cut out for him. Still optimistic they can put it together at be a 500 yrd a game offense but that was a good ass clenched, good for film game.

No excuse to miss that FG but if you know you are kicking in that situation run the damn ball to the middle of the field so at least you are dead center if you get stuffed. Another small mistake among a pile of them for Morris who looked way in over his head in his first game.

My biggest pet peeves about Cam and WR's was that Cam MISSED about 3,4,5 WR's, either OVERTHREW or UNDER THREW Semi Wide Open WR's, and WR's that DROPPED about 3,4,5,6 EASILY CATCHABLE passes that hit them in the hands on 3rd downs, and that would have been good for a 1st down conversion, had they CAUGHT THE EASILY CATCHABLE PASS.

Take away those bad DROPS, the MISSED WR's, and the FUMBLES, and the Chip Shot FG, and WSU would have easily scored 1,2,3 more TD's, passed for about 135 more yards, 1,2,3 more FG's, not given up the fumble TD return, and would have won by a score of at least 44 to 10(2 more TD's + 2 FG's(the 24 points they did score + 2 TD's(14) + 2 FG's(6) = 44)

Watson had 117 yards. I think if Jenkins hadn't fumbled on his first carry, he would have seen much more action.

I've not been a big fan of Watson, but he had a good game (except for the fumble).

Like I stated before, it seems like Idaho has better backs than we do. How does that happen?

Ward has a really nice arm. He delivered some excellent throws...but his overall performance was underwhelming.

I was expecting 40 points today, so that was disappointing we only had 24.

Our D only allowed 10 points, which was great. Disappointed that Idaho got some big key plays...but they executed some great passes that were pretty much unstoppable.

Disappointing game, but we won and that is all that matters for now.
We stopped recruiting to rb 4 years ago.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN
Felt like they sandbagged the playbook. Almost no plays to victor and he's a solid playmaker. Nothing to tight ends. Hardly anything vertically. Better open up the works vs the badgers.
I thought the TE wasn't going to be on the field as much as he was or he was going to be an option catching the ball. It pretty much ruled out having 4 receivers in the game. The offense and how they're supposed to execute is baffling at best right now. Gotta check out the stats.

We scored hiring Eck. I don’t think there were any sane Vandals that thought we were leaving Martin Stadium with a win. I am really proud of the team for playing decent game.
I am impressed with his ability to get all the performance he has with the talent he has recruited. And his transfer recruiting has been great. Genuinely interested in Vandal football now. Seems like an awesome dude to play for.

I am impressed with his ability to get all the performance he has with the talent he has recruited. And his transfer recruiting has been great. Genuinely interested in Vandal football now. Seems like an awesome dude to play for.
Reading their coaching staff bios and many have been coordinators, special teams coaches and recruiting directors. Seems like the right formula for building a staff at any level.

One other thing that seemed silly. The Cougs we’re trying to run that fast break pace of the old Oregon teams…which I think is great with a simplified offense and an accurate QB with a quick release, but….it completely loses its effectiveness if you try and sub guys every play. Are the coaches not aware that the defense gets to sub too when they sub? It’s completely pointless to go at that pace if you are going to sub guys every time.

Poop.

All phases.

Bring back the sand pit, this team is soft if they can't manhandled UI.
Did leach build a pit at msu? Never did understand why they removed the sandpit .
While there hasn’t been an official study it Anecdotally seems that it helped prevent lower leg injuries and sped up the recovery on those who had them .

Wonder if Dickert subscribes to the Bill Snyder school of coaching openers against inferior competition. Stay vanilla and don't worry if the game is close because it gives you the opportunity for "teaching moments".

I will say that I used to think that DeLaura had an odd throwing motion until I saw Ward throw. Ward looks like a baseball player in the QB spot. He needs to work on his mechanics if he is going to be a serious pro prospect. I liked his ability to run but agree with the comments above. Lots of work to do.

I've seen a lot of people comparing this defense to the Palouse Posse and they are nowhere near that good......but it's a good looking defense. It's going to be interesting to see how they hold up against a team like Wisconsin.

My biggest takeaway is that in 2014, 2015 and 2016, we found ways to lose games against inferior competition in openers. Dickert and this team didn't panic and worked things out. We outscored Idaho 24-7 once we quit playing with our heads op our asses.

The issues on our side of the ball are pretty clear, and I’m not going to rehash them, but I’m just going to chime in to give Idaho credit. They came in with a good game plan, and they played well.

Nobody gave them a chance to win, but someone forgot to tell them. They didn’t quit and just wouldn’t go away. They looked better than us most of the game, and I think deserved the win more than we did.

Hard to say for sure just how far they’ll go, but based on effort and the fight in them, this isn’t the Idaho we’ve gotten used to. They’ll win some games.

Watching the reply, feeling like a mid-sized sedan might have been a better NIL perk for CW. If he thinks the game moves faster playing UI compared to IW, he's going to have a rude awakening vs Wiscy.

That being said, the scheme looks like the AR except everyone is stuck in mud.

Also, I am LOVING Ryan Leaf spitting cold hard truth about the Cougs when they're playing like crap and not trying to be too much of a homer.

I can only hope and pray that they were doing the "we're only going to run 60% of the playbook and treat the game like a glorfied scrimmage" thing, for whatever good that's supposed to do.

Defense looks ok.

Looking back a history of Cougar football and the Air Raid, getting out of the gates early has been a problem in many years. In 2015 they start off the year with a loss to Portland St, which never should have happened, yet Leach managed to rally the troops and finish the year 9-4 with a 6-3 conference record. In 2016 just when you though history wouldn't repeat itself they open up with a loss to Eastern and follow it up with a loss to Boise St. And 0-2 start and most of us had kissed the season good bye, yet once again Leach manages to rally the troops and we finish 8-5, with a 7-2 conference record. I was disappointed in the game to say the least, and I don't have much hope for the Wisconsin game, the key game coming up between a winning season and losing season is Colorado St. Hopefully the offense executes better next week so they keep it within 4 TDs, the coaches need to get the players fired up, and the players themselves need to get fired up, the the emotion in the Idaho game was like a Saturday scrimmage. It's early, but they didn't grade well in game one, there are 11 or 12 more opportunities to show they are better than this.

Wisconsin is going to win by 35+

If memory serves, Wiscy is going to line up in double tight, enormous kids that look a lot like 7 OL and will challenge Dick’s 425 defense in size/strength/alignment/scheme. The defense may look like a 44 by the end of the game. Wiscy is gonna run the ball down our throats until Dick stacks the box. Then they will play action pass down the sideline looking for 1v1 with the corners.

We will find out how good a 425 coach he is this week. This is Upper Midwest football week.

Wisconsin is going to win by 35+
On the contrary they don’t beat a lot of P5 teams by 35. Look at their last 5 games. Lost to MN barely beat a bad Nebraska team.
The way we played against ID, I’m not giving us much of a chance but think there’s a decent chance we keep it within the spread.

If memory serves, Wiscy is going to line up in double tight, enormous kids that look a lot like 7 OL and will challenge Dick’s 425 defense in size/strength/alignment/scheme. The defense may look like a 44 by the end of the game. Wiscy is gonna run the ball down our throats until Dick stacks the box. Then they will play action pass down the sideline looking for 1v1 with the corners.

We will find out how good a 425 coach he is this week. This is Upper Midwest football week.
I do think Wisconsin's QB sucks, so we may have a shot at keeping it close if we force them to throw. But even with our two good DL, I just don't think we have enough to do that.

I do think Wisconsin's QB sucks, so we may have a shot at keeping it close if we force them to throw. But even with our two good DL, I just don't think we have enough to do that.
I thought he was like the #1 HS QB a couple years ago and started as a Frosh?

He will have a run game, play action pass, at least 1 TE to make easy pitch and catch, potentially 1v1 on the outside if all of thee above are working. He may not have to be amazing to score points. If he cant do much with these tools, he does in fact suck.

On the contrary they don’t beat a lot of P5 teams by 35. Look at their last 5 games. Lost to MN barely beat a bad Nebraska team.
The way we played against ID, I’m not giving us much of a chance but think there’s a decent chance we keep it within the spread.

For the people that are worried, here is a list of the recent games that Wisconsin has had against either Power 5 or upper quality OOC opponents.

2021 - Notre Dame (11-2) - lost 13-41
2021 - Army (9-4) - won 20-14
2021 - ASU (8-5) - won 20-13 (bowl game)
2020 - Wake Forest (4-5) - won 42-28 (bowl game)
2019 - Oregon (12-2) - lost 27-28 (Rose Bowl)
2018 - BYU (7-6) - lost 21-24
2018 - Miami (7-6) - won 35-3 (bowl game)
2017 - BYU (7-6) - won 40-6 (BYU finished 4-9 that year)
2017 - Miami (10-3) - won 34-24 (bowl game)

So, the Badgers win more often than not when they play OOC competition but they haven't thumped a Power 5 OOC opponent since 2018 and are 4-3 in the past four years. 2017 is the last year that they were really dominant. We might get crushed, but unless they are a lot better than they've been in the past four years, we should hang around all game if we are half decent.

I'm glad we're playing them this week. Not a lot to lose from a WSU perspective. The Colorado State game will be our first must win game of the season, regardless of how this one plays out.

I'm glad we're playing them this week. Not a lot to lose from a WSU perspective. The Colorado State game will be our first must win game of the season, regardless of how this one plays out.
Based on Oregon's performance against Georgia, I think that game looks extremely winnable. But I will reserve judgement until after the Wiscy game.

For the people that are worried, here is a list of the recent games that Wisconsin has had against either Power 5 or upper quality OOC opponents.

2021 - Notre Dame (11-2) - lost 13-41
2021 - Army (9-4) - won 20-14
2021 - ASU (8-5) - won 20-13 (bowl game)
2020 - Wake Forest (4-5) - won 42-28 (bowl game)
2019 - Oregon (12-2) - lost 27-28 (Rose Bowl)
2018 - BYU (7-6) - lost 21-24
2018 - Miami (7-6) - won 35-3 (bowl game)
2017 - BYU (7-6) - won 40-6 (BYU finished 4-9 that year)
2017 - Miami (10-3) - won 34-24 (bowl game)

So, the Badgers win more often than not when they play OOC competition but they haven't thumped a Power 5 OOC opponent since 2018 and are 4-3 in the past four years. 2017 is the last year that they were really dominant. We might get crushed, but unless they are a lot better than they've been in the past four years, we should hang around all game if we are half decent.
I think the issue is 2022 WSU is a lot worse than most of the teams listed there.

ADVERTISEMENT